PDA

View Full Version : What is, Federer (new) Strategy to Beat Both Murray and Nadal

plum
03-27-2009, 02:21 PM
I have to admit I have read some funny and entertaining threads here (chuckle!) This one I would like to start may be rhetorical or not-- so please redirect me if necessary. I would like to hear and invite opinions on the possible change in Federer strategy, necessary, to beat both Murray and Nadal! Of course they are firing to his backhand when possible and this obviously anticipates the strengthen that wing line. However maybe there is some other things I can't think of to do!? P.S. I am just an old late blooming (from 36-40 with some hitting at 12-14) 40 year old tennis player who would rather see federer win than cry. Although I appreciate as much as any sensitive man about getting in touch with the feminine side. But in all honesty it would make me feel so good if Federer might figure these guys out! I would like to believe there is an answer. OF course part of that desire is the 40 year old having a hard time coming to terms with the seemingly small/short tennis-pro-age-window that seems to terminate around 28 years old.
:oops:

bladepdb
03-27-2009, 02:31 PM
For Federer, aggression is key. Against Nadal and Murray he cannot survive behind the baseline for very long, especially because of his sluggish movement as of late (which is another key; improve court movement).

The biggest issue I see with Federer is inability to attack second serves...the 04-06 Federer would pounce a weak second serve; today's Federer is comparatively passive.

Maybe incorporating serve & volley in his serves might be a good strategy on the hard/grass courts...but he does do a decent job of holding serve for the most part. Unfortunately he does let his opponents convert the break chances they do go, so that's always a mental issue.

Anyway, in summary: aggression, court movement = better mental game and better game suited against Murray & Nadal giving him better prospects of pulling of the wins.

Leonidas
03-27-2009, 02:56 PM
i heard he is going to try praying as well as putting some poison into their glasses. just kidding!

Blade0324
03-27-2009, 02:57 PM
IMO other than finding the fountain of youth the only other thing that might help is if he could switch to a a 2hbh. Otherwise just hope to catch them on an off day.

Lee James
03-27-2009, 05:37 PM
contrary to being uber aggressive, I'd like to see him actually go in the opposite direction and be a little more patient. The problem with being ultra aggressive is that unless you're on, you're not going to beat the likes of Murray & Nadal. They are just far too consistent. Federer is going to have to have the mindset of knowing he's going to have to really work these 2 guys to get the win, and be willing to do so.

veroniquem
03-27-2009, 07:22 PM
contrary to being uber aggressive, I'd like to see him actually go in the opposite direction and be a little more patient. The problem with being ultra aggressive is that unless you're on, you're not going to beat the likes of Murray & Nadal. They are just far too consistent. Federer is going to have to have the mindset of knowing he's going to have to really work these 2 guys to get the win, and be willing to do so.
I agree with that. He needs to be more patient over an entire match but even then I'm not sure it would be enough because of the age difference.

shakes1975
03-27-2009, 11:56 PM

I disagree. I hate it when players and fans confuse aggression with kamikaze tactics. For me aggression means building incremental advantages in position before putting the killing shot.

That means Fed doesn't have to go for the lines on every shot, but take the ball a little earlier than he does now. Reduce Nadal's and Murray's time by that little bit and build on it with each shot by coming a little forward when possible. That, according to me, is aggression with patience.

sh@de
03-28-2009, 01:41 AM
Mmmm, yep, I think what Fed needs is a combination of what ppl have said above i.e. aggression, try to be the one who dictates the points, whilst being patient at the same time, that is, don't pull the trigger too soon. Do be the one who pulls the trigger, but pull it by building up a chance to pull it, not just randomly trying low percentage shots.

And other than a change of tactics, I think Fed seriously either needs a coach or psychologist. He needs some mental conditioning, to help him stop freezing up when it's break point on his serve (against nadal) and to help him have the confidence to step on it when he has a break point chance. I mean, look at the Aus Open final, for sth like the first 2 sets, Nadal's break point conversion rate was 100%. And how many break points did Fed waste in the third set?

I think the mental bit is the most important for Fed to win on hard courts and grass. I don't know about clay, because his one hander really does become a liability and I'm not sure anything can really be done about it. But I do know that, if he did toughen up mentally, or had done so earlier, he may already have the Aus Open under his belt.