PDA

View Full Version : Help wanted, from racquets to serving.

Duffclown65
04-03-2004, 06:22 PM
Hello, I have been a long time viewer to TW and just discovered this message board. I have seen that there are some bonafide people here with tips and thought I would post and see if I could get an answer.

First off is my racquet. I am using a Triple Threat Scream OS at the moment, and was thinking of purchasing a new one maybe as it gets closer to the summer when the USTA starts to get closer. The reason I have thought for the change is because a recent match. The reason I lost was because my lack of net game. It seemed like every ball I hit at the net would go out wide and that my overheads were just not there.

So my question is this. What racquet would you tennis vets recommend? I am mainly a baseliner, but I believe that I could bring my game to another level if I could get my net game more established. I have been looking at some of Tennis Magazines reommendations from the Head LM Instinct to the Volkl Catapult 3. I am open to any other suggestions.

Question 2. What is a good way to establish a kick serve? In my arsenal, I have a flat serve for my first serve and a spin serve for my second, but have never really grasped the concept of the kick serve. One of my opponents had a Babolat Pure Drive and had a kick serve almost going over my head. I am not looking for the same for me, but just to add more variety.

Question 3. I seem to have big hands and have got 2 overwraps over the original grip (I was starting to have some aches in my elbow with the first overwrap, so a second is now on) and is this going to affect my game, and cause me to have less spin?

That's it for now, and thank you for viewing and for any replys! :)

Anonymous
04-03-2004, 06:35 PM
1. I'm not very experienced with prince, but don't think that a new racquet will automatically change your game for the better. To improve your net game, get a partner and practice and practice and practice....
2. for a kick serve you need to violently throw your racquet up and to a side at the ball to get lots of kick, if you check out my previous post i was looking to increase my kick, i'm still trying to generate that racquet head speed that is essential for a high kick (+5)
Bungalo Bill will probably give you the best advice, he'll be here soon ....
good luck

Duffclown65
04-03-2004, 06:48 PM
Yeah I don't think that a new racquet will change me for the better either, as I am rather accustomed to this one. The reason is that basically I don't have a backup and in the coming months, I could maybe find a good deal on one.

As for the net game, do you not think the oversize affects my play at the net? I have my strings (Crossfire) strung at 65 lbs, but it still seems like my down the line shots will drift a little wide sometimes.

Anonymous
04-03-2004, 06:53 PM
Yeah you should get a backup if your playing tourneys

The OS limits your control, so a mid size is preferable (i use a ps tour 90) because it allows you to really hit those lines, but only with practice.
One thing you may want to work on is using some backspin on vollies, this way you can aim a little safer and the back spin will reduce the chances that the other player will return it, even if he does it will probably be an easy putaway for you.

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2004, 06:56 PM
Agree with Salman, your racquet will provide the finishing touch once you develop good net skills and technique. But a racquet cant help poor form and technique at the net. First develop, the net game, then as your progressing you will get a feel of what racquet you would like to pursue. Maybe demo some racquets and talk with your local pro.

There is much discussion on how to hit a kick serve. I am assuming your talking about a topspin serve. If so, go here to learn how learn how to hit one:

http://www.operationdoubles.com/Serving_With_Spin.htm

for a twist serve go here:

http://tennis.about.com/library/weekly/aa050802a.htm

Here is a great article on extending your hitting arm on the serve.

http://tennis.about.com/library/weekly/aa091701.htm, this one everyone should read.

Over wraps will effect your racquet position in your hands mainly because it removes the edges of the handle. It makes it more like your hand is around a log. I would suggest getting add-on grip or something sold here at tennis warehouse. When you use these grip builders they allow you to keep those beveled edges.

Duffclown65
04-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the help Bill. So basically on a twist or top spin serve, I should switch to a western backhand ( or western for the forehand) and toss it around one o'clock? (for more topspin than slice) also, should the toss be lower when applying topspin to the shot?

Thanks for your help and I will continue to hit the courts! :)

Bungalo Bill
04-04-2004, 11:47 AM
You can use either a continental or an eastern backhand grip. Most advanced players head towards an Eastern backhand grip for the extra spin. The toss should be high enough for a full extension of your arm. Use the links I gave you above to learn about toss location.

There has been a lot of discussion about wrist snap, loose arms, and whips in the service motion. All of this is worthless unless you learn to hit that ball at full extension. With a loose wrist and arm you will quickly learn that a fully extended arm mixed with a loose wrist etc. will produce a natural movement of the wrist. Read the information in the links above and you will be well on your way to develop a good serve. If you can master that extended arm on the serve, you will have a good serve.