PDA

View Full Version : Slazenger Pro X1

aj_m2009
03-08-2005, 12:12 AM
Could someone give me some info about how the Slazenger Pro X1 plays. Is it a good spin racket, how much power does it have, etc...

Thanks

BLiND
03-08-2005, 02:09 AM
Do a search there has been a fair bit of posting about the X1.

For me, it has tons of spin, ok power, fairly low swingweight (compaired to my LM Prestige), fairly stiff, but very muted, so it feels ok. For me it served really well, but couldn't get into the grouve with it, but maybe cos I am use to flexy reacquets.

Overall doesn't have many faults.

aj_m2009
03-08-2005, 02:14 AM
Ok, thanks. And I did a search but only like 4 threads came up.

BLiND
03-08-2005, 02:21 AM
You mustn't be searching right, there has been loads.

aj_m2009
03-08-2005, 02:22 AM
I will try to search again.

**I just did a search and it only came up with 9 including this one.**

AndrewD
03-08-2005, 03:51 AM
There is a comparison review on the TW site you might like to look at. Otherwise, I agree with BLiND. It has huge spin potential, thought it was excellent on serves and volleys. Not big power from the back of the court but quite manoueverable so you can compensate with extra spin. Felt very stiff to me but still a very nice frame and good value if you play serve/volley or a lot of doubles.

aj_m2009
03-08-2005, 04:09 AM
Thanks. I unfortunately don't really do a lot of either but I do toss in a serve-and-volley play every so often. And heck, I may even switch to serve-and-volley 'cause my baseline game ain't really that effective. But if I did that I would have to go back to a one hander which I wasn't that great at. Oh well, who really cares. I will figure it out eventually.

Marius_Hancu
03-08-2005, 04:34 AM
in terms of searching, should've gone to
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/search.php?
and searched
with
Slazenger
or
X1
both
in the body and in the titles of the threads

Found:

What Makes The X1 a less-than-perfect baseline stick?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=3654

Slazenger Pro X1
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=35800

Slazenger X1
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=34123

NoBadMojo - Could you compare PK Ki5 and Slazenger
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=42663

Also, look for postings by NoBadMojo, he playtested it.

AndrewD
03-08-2005, 04:36 AM
What sort of racquet were you hoping to find? If you throw out a bit of info regarding your game it might make it easier to come up with a few suggestions.

Not sure how they fare with a two hander but the Head LM Radical mp and the Dunlop 300G are great frames that Id suggest before the Slaz X1. The LM has more power off the ground so is great for groundstrokes while the Dunlop is lighter and better at net. Preferred the Dunlop overall but that's just me.

aj_m2009
03-08-2005, 04:57 AM
Thanks Marius, I didn't think to do that.

AndrewD, I was looking for a head light racket with good spin potential. I am a baseliner player but, like I said, I throw in the occasional serve-and-volley play. I like to hit drop shots a lot and I like to use spin since I can't really hit the ball that hard. But I do want a control oriented racket that weighs at least 11 oz. I would like the racket to have a swing weight around 315 give or take a few points. I would like at the least a 95 sq. in. head. And I would like the racket, if at all possible, to be less than $150 but it doesn't absolutely have to be.

If there is any other information you need just let me know.

Thanks

james_R
03-08-2005, 07:03 AM
It's a very good racquet, nice spin and easy to get around. It has good power with the right strings and tension, and despite the stiffness, you can feel the ball pocketing nicely (if you hit it right!) on the strings. I really enjoyed it but again, unfortunately could'nt quite get the groove from the back of the court. Great for S+V and doubles. Producing good power as well as spin on serves actually took a little adjusting to but the potential is there. I say give it a demo and see what ye' think. :-)
EDIT: Just a little additional note to say that I have been S+V more and more recently so in that context, I may well reconsider this racquet.

spinbalz
03-08-2005, 08:26 AM
You may try the Tecnifibre T-Fight 315

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCTFUSA-T315.html

aj_m2009
03-08-2005, 08:35 AM
Thanks SB and james. I was looking at one of the Technifibre rackets. I think it was the TFeel 305 XL.

louis netman
03-08-2005, 09:08 AM
I have one strung at 49lbs with 17g gut. The drop in tension didn't cause me arm problems and it was still very precise. Great S/V stick. Excellent weight & balance (I added a Fairway & Super Grap); easy to get around. I didn't really enjoy groundies with it as I'm used to the feel of flexible frames. Topspin & slice is superior...Blue is my favorite color...BTW, I just bought a pair of T10 Gen IIs...

thejackal
03-08-2005, 05:52 PM
Is it anything like the HPS 6.0? Spec wise it seems to be the closest thing out there.

louis netman
03-08-2005, 09:32 PM
Is it anything like the HPS 6.0? Spec wise it seems to be the closest thing out there.

haven't played the 6.0 95 yet. I've had a "wanted" ad out for months. I acquired an HPS 6.0 95, and although it was a fairly nice stick all around, it was too stiff for me and caused some pain even with gut at lower tension. I could say that the HPS is similar to the X-1 in that they're both pretty stiff frames. Many say the PS 6.0 has a more flexible hoop than the HPS and that's why I'm in search of one...

BreakPoint
03-08-2005, 09:39 PM
louis,
What grip size are you looking for? I may have a couple of PS 6.0 95's in 4 3/8 for sale.

louis netman
03-08-2005, 10:11 PM
louis,
What grip size are you looking for? I may have a couple of PS 6.0 95's in 4 3/8 for sale.

Thanx BP, but I need 4 5/8...no build-ups either...as you probably know, they turn the grip into a broomhandle...

SC in MA
03-09-2005, 06:29 AM
I hit with an X1 for the first time last night. I used it in a doubles match where there was very little warm-up. Fortunately, from the very first hit, it was solid and stable and felt great. (My usual stick is the nCode61 95). I found the X1 to be pretty much as almost everyone universally has described it, at least in the context of doubles play.

Solid and manueverable. I've never returned serve better. I was able to consistently get around on the backhand side to hit topspin returns. This is the shot that gives me the biggest problem when playing doubles with the nCode61 (where I'm always a bit late). With a firm wrist, volleys are solid, stable, controlled and vibration free, even when being blasted at the net. Very impressive.

The one area I had a bit of trouble with was serving flat serves. My placement was a bit off and I wasn't getting the pace I normally do with the nCode61. Wide-out spin serves were excellent to both the deuce and ad courts. Overall, the X1 is a comfortable, fairly easy racket to serve with.

Overall control of all shots was excellent. On exchanges where my opponents were at net and I was at the baseline, I was able to really hit out in a controlled fashion, keeping the ball low and/or dipping. While I can hit balls harder with other rackets, with the X1, I felt like I was getting a great combo of pace, control and placement knowing the ball was going to stay in play and be a difficult shot for my opponent.

As others have noted, the upper hoop of the racket doesn't have a lot of bite. It looks to me that the X1 could use one more cross string in the upper hoop area, which I believe would take care of that problem.

The contoured grip was interesting since I had never used this type of grip before. I know others have complained about it, but I kinda liked it (at least during this one doubles session).

I'm really looking forward to doing some drill work and/or singles with the X1 to get a more comprehensive feel for the racket. Others have found it lacking in baseline groundstrokes, but I didn't really get a feel for that one way or the other from the doubles I played.

Just curious. What do others use for their string setup? This one was strung with Yonex 850 (something), but I don't know the tension. Any hints for a setup that would give me a bit more power? I'm thinking about possibly a natural gut/syn gut hybrid, but I'm not sure of the tension.

I'll be receiving a Volkl T10 GenII within the next day or two. Can it possibly play any better than the X1 ?

aj_m2009
03-09-2005, 01:53 PM
Thanks guys. So far it sounds pretty good. And Sc, go ahead and let us know of what you think of it in singles/drills too if you don't mind.

hedonist
03-10-2005, 02:03 AM
louis,

Do you really want to change your racquet after you started a 6.0 95 cult? Is it the X1, RDX, nCode....??

BreakPoint
03-10-2005, 02:56 AM
Do you really want to change your racquet after you started a 6.0 95 cult? Is it the X1, RDX, nCode....??

I'm not changing. I have 8 more PS 6.0 95's in 4 1/2. These two are 4 3/8 so I don't use them very much.

volleyman
03-10-2005, 02:06 PM
I've just switched to the X1. While it is, indeed, excellent for serving and volleying, I find it's pretty good from the baseline. Stable and accurate, with enough power for me to hurt my opponents.

Just curious. What do others use for their string setup? This one was strung with Yonex 850 (something), but I don't know the tension. Any hints for a setup that would give me a bit more power? I'm thinking about possibly a natural gut/syn gut hybrid, but I'm not sure of the tension.
?

I just finished a run using a hybrid with Technifibre X1 Biphase 17 for the mains and Gosen OG Sheep Micro 17 in the crosses at 55 lbs. Played quite well, good power without sacrificing spin and control, and quite comfortable without feeling mushy. I seem to remember other folks on the board stringing their X1's at even lower tensions and retaining control.

SC in MA
03-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the string setup info Volleyman. I'm thinking of going with a natural gut/syn.gut hybrid, but I'm not sure of the tension. Maybe 55lbs? I definitely want to get more pop than the current setup.

naylor
03-10-2005, 07:09 PM
I've recently switched to the X1. Before, I had Prince Graphite Classic midplus (which I thought ok) but last year I switched from those to Prince NXG Tour mids (which I found hard to live with - elbow and shoulder problems! - and disappointing). I read NoBadMojo's review and bought it!

I play mainly doubles, and S/V. I find it superb at the net, manoeuvrable, solid, pinpoint accuracy. I play single-handed backhand, block / sliced service return mostly, and the control and spin with it are awesome. Good for sliced and kick serves also.

The best strings I've had on it have been natural gut (Klip Legend @ 58lbs.) - power with great feel, kind on elbow and shoulder, lasted for weeks also. Technifibre X1 biphase I've found nearly as good. I have also used Klip X-plosive (gut m's @ 59lbs., K-boom x's @ 57lbs.), which felt very good but broke a gut string after 8 hrs. (when they strung it, they told me the gut was quite dry). I'm currently using a hybrid of X1 biphase (m's @ 59lb.) and K-boom (x's @ 57lbs.) which I find gives me better feel than the X-plosive (stop-volleys). All of the above were US-supplied strings, which you can't find here in New Zealand. I'm now going to try "local" strings (Sensation 16 m's @ 60lbs., Tech. Spinfire Maxipower x's @ 57lbs.) to see if I can find a combination that suits my arm and keeps the cost down under USD50 (that's what Legend gut would cost me here!). I don't normally break strings, and I figure that by starting with a tighter setting I'll get a few more hours' play out of each stringing, and as the strings loosen progressively the power will increase gradually. With 3 rackets on the go at various stages I'll have a choice of power and spin/control combinations (well, that's the theory, anyway!).

SC in MA
03-10-2005, 07:45 PM
<snip>...I play mainly doubles, and S/V. I find it superb at the net, manoeuvrable, solid, pinpoint accuracy. I play single-handed backhand, block / sliced service return mostly, and the control and spin with it are awesome. Good for sliced and kick serves also....<snip>Hey Naylor. You are so right on. I agree with this exactly, at least for the one session I've used the X1. I also hit one-handed backhands and I was able to either rip or block/punch returns so well that I didn't even attempt any chip returns.

Thanks for all the stringing info. After the Yonex strings break, I'm likely going to give a Bow Brand 16g main/LaserFibre Syn Gut 16g cross hybrid a try. (I have some Bow Brand that I bought before the price jump.) I've never used a nat.gut/syn gut hybrid, so I don't know exactly what tension to use. I was thinking of starting at 55lbs, but maybe 58lbs would be safer. Or do you have any other tension recommendation for this hybrid?

BTW, I've tried Klip Legend once and found it very lively and long lasting. It was strung at 60lbs on an nCode61 95 and it was actually too powerful of a setup. I had great action on my ball, but had great difficulty with control. That being said, Klip Legend is probably the gut I will use after I use up my Bow Brand.

naylor
03-11-2005, 11:28 AM
Hi, SC,

The X1 has a very narrow stringing band, and 55lbs. would put you at the bottom end. I would go for higher, particularly if you want the x's strung at a fraction less (because they're shorter).

For me, the test would be for the whole stringing job to play like natural gut, but with the x's stopping the mains from moving (and adding a fraction of control), thus making the job longer lasting. Let me know how you get on with your strings/setting and I'll try it sometime. Good luck - Michael

SC in MA
03-11-2005, 12:00 PM
aj_m2009: I haven't hit again with the X1, but I did hit today (drills) for about an hour with the Volkl T10 GenII. You should probably give this one a try as well. I don't know if weight is a concern to you. The GenII did feel a bit heavier to me than the X1. Also the handle shape of the GenII is a bit more rectangular than either the X1 or a Wilson. Overall, the GenII is a very solid racket with a great feel to it. More power than the X1 and I was able to generate very good spin with the GenII (maybe because of the string setups). The GenII handles upper hoop balls much better than the X1. I only hit about ten serves with the GenII. Flat serves were excellent, but I didn't seem to get a lot of hop on my spinnies. This was sort of the opposite experience that I had serving with the X1. I hit good solid volleys with the GenII, but I think the X1 was slightly better. I think the X1 is a bit more maneuverable. These are all sort of one-time impressions. The X1 after playing doubles (with little warmup) and the GenII in a drills session. Hope this helps.

KFwinds
03-11-2005, 12:10 PM
Damn you guys... now I'm going to have to get an X1...

I'm a current 200g/PS 6.0 65 user, and the Slaz sounds very nice!

aj_m2009
03-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Thanks SC.

ears
03-11-2005, 06:17 PM
The X1 has a very narrow stringing band, and 55lbs. would put you at the bottom end.

Although I agree with everything else Naylor has said about the X-1, I'd have to disagree with this. Slaz recommends 55-60 lbs. but I've found that's actually more like 50-55 lbs. (This might be because my ECO is constant pull and I do a little prestretch.) The stiff upper hoop really gets harsh if the string bed is too tight, IMO.

Knowing I was going to play today, I strung one of mine last night with some PDGD 17g I had laying around (@53lbs.). Bad call; this string just didn't work with this racket at all. Not mushy, but not crisp, and no pop--completely forgetable. I'm currently auditioning a bunch of cheap strings in the hope that I might find something good to use as a cross with gut or a high end multi. Current leader: Max Comfort 17g. Next up to test: OG-sheep 17g. Any suggestions welcome.

SC in MA
03-11-2005, 06:42 PM
ears: If you're looking for a syn.gut that is crisp and lively, I would recommend trying LaserFibre Classic Syn.Gut. I had it strung in an nCode61 95 at 60lbs. My usual nCode string is PSG w/D, which I mainly use because it dampens the power and gives me good control. After stringing the nCode with LFSG, my nCode came alive with a crisp power, but with less control, especially on groundstrokes. A night and day difference between the strings. The LFSG lasted about 10 hardhitting sessions. Oh yes, the one area that the LFSG really stood out was in the serve. What a difference from the PSGD. The LFSG really gave me some serious pop on the serve and actually good control as well.

Since I felt the X1 was a bit underpowered (but had superb control) in my one session with it, I am thinking of using BowBrand nat.gut.in the mains with the LFSG in the crosses. I would think that would definitely add some pop to the X1 (hopefully not too much!).

FuriousYellow
03-12-2005, 07:42 AM
Great tips! I love hitting with my X-1, but had to put it aside when I started getting elbow pain. I bought it used and prestrung so I don't know what tension it was strung at. I'll try restring it @55lbs. to see if it helps tame the harshness.

I have a question about string movement. I know the type of string has to do with it, but will a thicker gauge string cause less, more, or have no effect on amount of string movement? I'm wondering if I need a 17ga string since the X-1 has such an open string pattern.

naylor
03-12-2005, 04:45 PM
I've just ordered an X1 strung with Klip Lightning at 60 lb. gut mains and 58 lb. synthetic crosses. We'll see how it goes.

I'm also getting some LaserFibre SN Gut, Wilson NXT Tour and K-Boom to experiment with. I'll probably use the K-Boom on the crosses and the other two in the mains. If the Lightning works I might also experiment with natural gut in the mains and the LFSN or NXT on the crosses, as SC suggests. I agree with him that the X1 can be a bit underpowered, and I had one done in all natural gut a while ago, which felt extremely good on the elbow also. But it's so humid here that I got too much power and string movement too soon!, so you need to put something else in the crosses to keep the gut in place. Any comments / suggestions?

Marius_Hancu
03-12-2005, 04:56 PM
Great tips! I love hitting with my X-1, but had to put it aside when I started getting elbow pain. I bought it used and prestrung so I don't know what tension it was strung at. I'll try restring it @55lbs. to see if it helps tame the harshness.

Well, what strings were those is important too.

But this is not a good sign. I have a Wilson 6.1, great racket, too stiff for me and for my stringer. My experience is that a racket which is not good for TE remains so, even if you try to do some changes.

You might have to put some lead take to make it heavier. 10-20g even. At 9 and 3 (something in the handle, to keep the same balance, if you insist on that). If that doesn't help, sell it fast. No reason to keep it. I don't like to reduce tension too much, you lose control.

The reason for this elbow problems might be the kevlar in the frame. Prefer pure graphite.

BreakPoint
03-12-2005, 06:57 PM
The reason for this elbow problems might be the kevlar in the frame. Prefer pure graphite.

Actually, I don't think Kevlar makes a frame stiffer. It only dampens shock and vibration and gives the frame more feel. My PS 6.0 95 has 20% Kevlar and it's pretty flexible and is great for my arm. It cured my tennis elbow.

The Pro X-1 is just made stiffer because it's supposed to be a serve-and-volley stick. I think you can make a racquet just as stiff with either 100% graphite or with the addition of something like HyperCarbon (which is just a stiffer graphite mix). You can order a Vantage racquet with either a stiffness of 63 RA or 70 RA and they are both made of just 100% graphite, and 70 is usually considered pretty stiff.

I think Wilson made the PSC 6.1 very stiff (72 RA) because people wanted a more powerful version of the PS 6.0.

Coda
03-12-2005, 08:01 PM
breakpoint is right, kevlar makes the racket feel sweet

Clintspin
03-12-2005, 08:24 PM
[ I'm currently auditioning a bunch of cheap strings in the hope that I might find something good to use as a cross with gut or a high end multi. Current leader: Max Comfort 17g. Next up to test: OG-sheep 17g. Any suggestions welcome.[/QUOTE]

Try the Klipper Titanmium Elite. I was surprised how much I like this string. Good feel, holds tension well and it has nice pop. It also strings very easy.

http://www.klippermate.com/products/gripstringdetail.php?catnum=S273

ears
03-13-2005, 01:15 AM
Is that Klipper string an aramid type or is it just a syngut with some titanium weaved in there? What would you compare it to?