PDA

View Full Version : How many pros still hit on the wall?

djsiva
03-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Mcenroe and connors and borg use to hit on the wall, but do players now a days still hit on the wall. If so which ones?

Do you think it can hurt your game?

pshulam
03-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Not sure. However, they might be hitting their heads against the wall.

Alexio92
03-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Whats hit on the wall?

Shaolin
03-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Whats hit on the wall?

HIT...AGAINST...A...WALL.

Tennis Dunce
03-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Quite a mental picture...envisioning Roger Federer hitting the wall...

The Don
03-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Whats hit on the wall?

literally hitting the ball against the wall to practice your forehand/backhand etc... LOL

bladepdb
03-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Mcenroe and connors and borg use to hit on the wall, but do players now a days still hit on the wall. If so which ones?

NO.

Hitting against a wall/backboard is one of the best ways to improve your focus and coordination between a backhand and forehand.

When you perform drills you can expect that the next ball will be to your forehand or backhand side and what not.

But when you hit against a wall you cannot always expect the ball to be on a certain side. Therefore, not only do you develop anticipation but also the ability to switch quickly from BH to FH or FH to BH.

I'm not sure if pros today still practice regularly against a wall or not, but it definitely cannot hurt their game, especially because their game already is at such a high level. They might not hit what they normally hit on the court when htiting against a wall, but the benefit of FH-BH focus outweighs any "loss" of practice on their regular shots.

tenis
03-28-2009, 12:33 PM
If I don't have a partner, than I'm taking the wall....

klementine79
03-28-2009, 12:45 PM
The wall is great. You can come up with different routines as well, but many, many tennis balls have not survived... THE WALL.

Serve_Ace
03-28-2009, 12:45 PM
I wonder if any of them got with the wall?

dr_punk
03-28-2009, 01:01 PM
None. The wall is terribly bad for your game after a certain point

tudwell
03-28-2009, 01:16 PM
I wonder if the pros have a ball-boy on the other side of the wall in case they shank one and hit it over...

djsiva
03-28-2009, 01:51 PM
None. The wall is terribly bad for your game after a certain point

That's what I was thinking, too.

It's about as effective as doing push ups to improve your tennis game.

Both are good if you're begining, but after a certain level it just hurts your game. Too many push ups, reduces your flexibility and makes your muscles too tight.

Ping pong players never seriously practice on the wall.

But I swear I remember hearing stories of borg practicing 6 hours on the wall straight.

Also of connors hitting against a wall forever in an old armory.

The wall is better than a ball machine though. Ball machines are such a hassle. Too heavy. Too noicy. too boring.

Any real pros nowadays still use the wall?

tudwell
03-28-2009, 02:06 PM
How on earth could the wall (or push-ups for that matter) negatively impact anyone's game, regardless of playing level?

djsiva
03-28-2009, 02:14 PM
How on earth could the wall (or push-ups for that matter) negatively impact anyone's game, regardless of playing level?

I guess you've never done three sets of 100 push-ups in a row in 15 minutes.

Believe me, after you do that, you won't be hitting the tennis ball that well.

But if you can't even do 5 push ups (probably like yourself) then doing 10 push ups a day and eating only three bags of doritos instead of five after lunch will probably do your game a lot of help.

tudwell
03-28-2009, 02:22 PM

But if you can't even do 5 push ups (probably like yourself) then doing 10 push ups a day and eating only three bags of doritos instead of five after lunch will probably do your game a lot of help.
Nice straw-man there, and the ad hominem at the end adds a nice touch as well. I'll be sure to stick around, in case you get the urge to actually prove your point.

ChanceEncounter
03-28-2009, 02:23 PM

No one said anything about doing 300 pushups right before a match.

There's a reason players don't do that. And that's called common sense.

djsiva
03-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Nice straw-man there, and the ad hominem at the end adds a nice touch as well. I'll be sure to stick around, in case you get the urge to actually prove your point.

No offense to any hackers, but all I'm saying is that it's pretty useless to practice your times tables when you have a calculus test.

Or to recite your abc's when you're prepping for the national spelling bee.

But if your coordination and strength level is low enough, then practicing on the wall or doing push-ups will help your game a great deal.

As for pros, this is not only a waste of time, but can actually be detrimental. At least according to the guy who thinks he's a pro.

Read the thread, I'm not the one proposing this, I'm just defending it.

lawrence
03-28-2009, 02:39 PM

pushups are calisthenics, you won't really bulk from them, they work endurance and strength more than size

there should be no way pushups hinder your tennis. bench is a different story, but bodyweight pushups, nope.

ShcMad
03-28-2009, 02:43 PM

About 3 years ago, I read an article where Nick Bollettieri had Max Mirnyi practice against the wall. The author of the article said that he always thought that only beginners practiced against the wall, but that he was wrong once he saw Mirnyi hitting against the wall. According to Bollettieri, it's supposed to be beneficial to certain aspects of the game.

I read this about 3 or 4 years ago, so I don't remember what it said word for word.

tudwell
03-28-2009, 02:44 PM
No offense to any hackers, but all I'm saying is that it's pretty useless to practice your times tables when you have a calculus test.

Or to recite your abc's when you're prepping for the national spelling bee.

But if your coordination and strength level is low enough, then practicing on the wall or doing push-ups will help your game a great deal.

As for pros, this is not only a waste of time, but can actually be detrimental. At least according to the guy who thinks he's a pro.

Read the thread, I'm not the one proposing this, I'm just defending it.
1) See the post above by lawrence.
2) I don't see anyone in this thread claiming to be a pro, and only one person claiming that the wall can hurt your game.
3) I agree hitting against the wall (or doing push-ups) might not be the best use of one's time when one has reached a higher level, but I still don't see how either could hinder someone. Which is what you're claiming.

ucrctennis
03-28-2009, 02:44 PM
The wall is great, I'm a high level high-school player (trained in France at an academy) and I hit on the wall ~5 times a week. It's a great warm-up and it's really good to hone your strokes and feel the ball out.

Why would it be detrimental? Forget the pushup analogy, it doesn't work.

joachim-babolat
03-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Vince Spadea posted a video of himself practicing on a wall :

youtubehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2leQK1VZSK8

ChanceEncounter
03-28-2009, 02:46 PM
Pushups in your downtime can't really hinder you. It just builds up muscle endurance. As mentioned, unless you add resistance, pushups are not a good way to build muscle mass.

Hitting the wall isn't a great use of time, but it doesn't "hinder" a high level tennis player.

deltox
03-28-2009, 03:09 PM
one of the best things to improve your tennis game is ... repetition. the wall can help you there

JeMar
03-28-2009, 03:14 PM
I think hitting against a regular backboard isn't nearly as effective as hitting against a concave backboard. The latter really helps your strokes.

djsiva
03-28-2009, 03:22 PM
About 3 years ago, I read an article where Nick Bollettieri had Max Mirnyi practice against the wall. The author of the article said that he always thought that only beginners practiced against the wall, but that he was wrong once he saw Mirnyi hitting against the wall. According to Bollettieri, it's supposed to be beneficial to certain aspects of the game.

I read this about 3 or 4 years ago, so I don't remember what it said word for word.

Maybe that's why max mirnyi never made it to the top.

Spent too much time on the wall. It hindered his game. He needed to move to the next level. But he just kept reciting his abc's to Nick, when he actually should have been practicing spelling difficult words with silent letters.

So instead of actually doing drills to work on his speed and footwork, he just monotously hit on the wall.

So are there any TOP pros hit on the wall? Not wantabes. Spadea? Give me a break!

Hitting on the wall is about as helpful as twirling your racquet like Blake does. It helps your coordination, but really it's pretty useless at the pro level.

split-step
03-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Hitting on the wall will not hinder a pros game.

It certainly won't enhance a top pros game.

FXhubby
03-28-2009, 05:25 PM
I work out in the mornings before going to work Monday through Friday for 1 hour. And I am not talking push-ups but actual weight training (bench press, shoulder press, etc ) and then play tennis in the afternoon at least 5 days a week. Weight training has never hinder my tennis or flexibility and it has actually given me more strength and endurance. So I definitively donít think push-ups or the wall will be bad

ucrctennis
03-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Maybe that's why max mirnyi never made it to the top.

Spent too much time on the wall. It hindered his game. He needed to move to the next level. But he just kept reciting his abc's to Nick, when he actually should have been practicing spelling difficult words with silent letters.

So instead of actually doing drills to work on his speed and footwork, he just monotously hit on the wall.

So are there any TOP pros hit on the wall? Not wantabes. Spadea? Give me a break!

Hitting on the wall is about as helpful as twirling your racquet like Blake does. It helps your coordination, but really it's pretty useless at the pro level.

Seles used to hit on the wall daily, Navratilova was doing commentary and she said she used to see Seles hitting against the wall
every day.

Seles wasn't a top player, was she?

Dominik
03-28-2009, 05:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWnx-WXq0T8

Apparently Vince Spadea practices against the wall :P

djsiva
03-28-2009, 06:34 PM
I work out in the mornings before going to work Monday through Friday for 1 hour. And I am not talking push-ups but actual weight training (bench press, shoulder press, etc ) and then play tennis in the afternoon at least 5 days a week. Weight training has never hinder my tennis or flexibility and it has actually given me more strength and endurance. So I definitively donít think push-ups or the wall will be bad

No offense, but the first thing that popped up in my mind when I read this is HACKER with a $300 tweener racquet.

Again I said, the wall helps beginers not top pros.

Bench pressing everyday is pretty stupid for your tennis game.

I guarantee you don't have racquet speed on your shots and your strokes look like girl scouts trying to roast marsh mellows on a stick. Poke and pull and twist.

As long as you are having fun, knock yourself out!

tudwell
03-28-2009, 06:47 PM
No offense, but the first thing that popped up in my mind when I read this is HACKER with a $300 tweener racquet.

I guarantee you don't have racquet speed on your shots and your strokes look like girl scouts trying to roast marsh mellows on a stick. Poke and pull and twist.

Your condescension is only matched by the utter lack of evidence in any of your posts. How about proving your point before smugly insulting people?

Xuxa Kuerten
03-28-2009, 06:52 PM

Apparently Vince Spadea practices against the wall :P

NTRP? I would say 3.5, 4.0 on a good day. :eek:

Seriously, It's quite interesting to see a pro practicing against the wall. Tks for the link.

svijk
03-28-2009, 07:05 PM

Hahaha...is this a serious post......ridiculous question.

Looks like poor Mac, Connors and Borg did not have too many friends to play with back in the day..

A wall can help you if you are beginner ....thats pretty much it

Nanshiki
03-28-2009, 07:38 PM
I haven't hit against a wall for like almost a year and I think it's hurt my game... it's very good to play against a partner who's more consistent than you are.

You get to hit more balls and you spent a lot less time picking up balls because you hit it too hard.

Hitting on the wall will help any and all players. But you can't play with JUST the wall and expect to get good.

FXhubby
03-29-2009, 06:17 AM

Well, I hit with a KPS 88 strung at 62#. I'm sure you would not last 25 minuts playing with my racket. SO don't be assuming anything until you have prove. But it's ok, I was just giving an imput of what works for myself. I wasn't pretending anything else.
And it is not bench pressing everyday, you have to target a particular muscle every day and stick to the routine. That is how you maximize gains and stay injury free.

ESP#1
03-29-2009, 06:44 AM

This is just a really bad post and it shows you have no idea in regards to tennis training Maybe you should checkout Andy Murray's webpage. He does alot of weight training. Is he a hacker? Federer also has mentioned plenty of times that he lifts weights also Agassi weight trained Verdasco does also The fact is you can lift to gain strength and not bulk up if done correctly as for flexibility there is this thing called yoga, seems o work fairly well

chrisdaniel
03-29-2009, 07:49 PM
haha, Vince Spadea is awsome!!!

Noveson
03-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Well, I hit with a KPS 88 strung at 62#. I'm sure you would not last 25 minuts playing with my racket. SO don't be assuming anything until you have prove. But it's ok, I was just giving an imput of what works for myself. I wasn't pretending anything else.
And it is not bench pressing everyday, you have to target a particular muscle every day and stick to the routine. That is how you maximize gains and stay injury free.

I was hoping you would come back with something better than this to reply to the idiot's post. Instead you talk about your KPS, because that makes you so much better than a hacker with a tweener:-|

NotSoSuper
03-29-2009, 08:35 PM

I hit on the wall every once in a while. It really helps me out with me volleys, and me knee bend..

With a comment like that i would assume you havnt tried it.

tennisdad65
03-29-2009, 08:54 PM
I know of 2 past #1's in the world who used the wall a lot.
mac and courier

I think the wall is very good for volleys. ok for groundies.

Rob_C
03-29-2009, 09:33 PM
As a substitute for live hitting, I'd say the wall is detrimental. The times I've had to do it, when I went into my matches, I always felt like there was a noticeable difference in my strokes.

Now, if its in addition to live hitting, I guess the extra reps could be helpful.

bjk
03-29-2009, 09:33 PM

Vince Spadea Wall Workout

Holdfast44ID
03-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Personally, I'd prefer to hit on the court with a good hitting partner than against a wall (backboard). Even a ball machine would be better. If I didn't have a hitting partner, I'd hit for few hours against a wall. There are a few things I don't like about hitting against the wall:

#1: The the ball can come back too quickly, causing me not to have a chance for my arm to loosen up between shots: When I was a junior player & would hit for a few hours on the wall, I especially noticed this on volleys (arm would really tighten up after awhile). Therefore, it is best not to overdo things when hitting against the wall. Slow down so you can properly groove things while staying relaxed.
#2: No chance to see where your shots would actually land on the court: I'd actually prefer using a ball machine as I could see if my cross court running forehand shots are actually landing where I want them to on the other side of the net.
#3: Sort of related to #1, the way the ball comes back in terms of speed and how the ball bounces can be both erratic and inconsistent, especially if you are a hard hitter.

Hitting on the wall is my last resort when I have no one to hit with. It is okay for warming up, trying to groove some strokes, etc. However, just as hitting buckets of serves is good for your serve, be careful how you practice. Don't overdo it! When I was in high school, I'd hit buckets of serves for over an hour at the club if I didn't have anyone to hit with. I tore up my shoulder doing that. The club pro said "Your arm is going to fall off!" He was right...

crazylevity
03-30-2009, 04:46 AM
I know of 2 past #1's in the world who used the wall a lot.
mac and courier

I think the wall is very good for volleys. ok for groundies.

Yep, I concur. There was an interview with a couple of top doubles teams, I read somewhere, and one of the things some of them liked to do was to hit against the wall in the locker room, just to get the reflexes going for their volleys. The wall probably doesn't work for groundstrokes, but for volleying, I don't see how it can hurt your game. Especially since there is EVIDENCE that a number of top pros are doing so.

tahiti
03-30-2009, 04:57 AM
I know of 2 past #1's in the world who used the wall a lot. mac and courier I think the wall is very good for volleys. ok for groundies.

You can add Lendl to the equation, he used to use a garage wall as a young kid.

djsiva
03-30-2009, 09:41 AM
You can add Lendl to the equation, he used to use a garage wall as a young kid.

Yeah as a young kid!

I think Lendl ate cornflakes as a young kid, too.

Stick to the point of thread. Do top pros use the wall? If so let's see the video.

Of course the wall helps beginers, just like push ups do.

Benchpressing EVERYDAY is bad for your tennis. Unless you are a hubby and use 88 inch tweener racquets.

Spadea is a loser. Hitting on the wall is about as helpful to your tennis as wearing stupid trucker caps and sticking toothpicks in your teeth.

Let's see a McEnroe video hitting on the wall.

Holdfast44ID
03-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Yeah as a young kid!

Stick to the point of thread. Do top pros use the wall? If so let's see the video.

Benchpressing EVERYDAY is bad for your tennis. Unless you are a hubby and use 88 inch tweener racquets.

Spadea is a loser. Hitting on the wall is about as helpful to your tennis as wearing stupid trucker caps and sticking toothpicks in your teeth.

I don't know of any top pros who would do it instead of hitting on a court. IE: It would not be "better" than hitting on a court. It is just an alternative.

Lendl and Federer Fan
03-30-2009, 05:48 PM
Although I am not a pro, I still hit against the wall regularly, it is the best practice partner. :)

slicefox
03-30-2009, 06:31 PM
It's about as effective as doing push ups to improve your tennis game.

Both are good if you're begining, but after a certain level it just hurts your game. Too many push ups, reduces your flexibility and makes your muscles too tight.

ROTFLMFAO!!!!

Buddy, i'll guarantee you that you won't become a Hulk from doing push-ups.

Don't worry about that. Even if you can do 300 non-stop it still won't be bad for your tennis game.

djsiva
03-31-2009, 03:40 PM
ROTFLMFAO!!!!

Buddy, i'll guarantee you that you won't become a Hulk from doing push-ups.

Don't worry about that. Even if you can do 300 non-stop it still won't be bad for your tennis game.

I love it when guys who can hardly do five push-ups, tell others what 300 push-ups can and can't do.

Too much lactic acid would be sitting in your muscles if you did 300 push-ups a day in a row without resting. It's a physiological FACT. It would take two or three days to drain it out. So 300 push-ups is not good for fluid tennis strokes. But if you're a hacker with a 88 inch tweener, just keep poking and bunting like like erkel does when he's trying to beat up his little sister.

Load up some Mc Enroe video hitting on the wall.

tyler_durden
03-31-2009, 04:30 PM
actually a lot of pros still use the wall.

but not as much for groundstrokes and stuff. they use it for volleys and exercises that strengthen the forearm

Kobble
03-31-2009, 04:58 PM
I love it when guys who can hardly do five push-ups, tell others what 300 push-ups can and can't do.

Too much lactic acid would be sitting in your muscles if you did 300 push-ups a day in a row without resting. It's a physiological FACT. It would take two or three days to drain it out. So 300 push-ups is not good for fluid tennis strokes. But if you're a hacker with a 88 inch tweener, just keep poking and bunting like like erkel does when he's trying to beat up his little sister.

Load up some Mc Enroe video hitting on the wall.Post your video on Youtube, I want to see 300 straight pushups.

markwillplay
03-31-2009, 05:18 PM
I will admit...300 pushups in a row is a lot!!!! Not sure about the lactic acid thing though. Everything is relative. I can do 120 or so straight and I don't think it hinders my flexability at all. I suppose I could try to train up to 300 but I would never want to take the time to do it. I do agree though that pushups (for most people) don't add much bulk. Main thing to remember is to keep the joint flexable with stretching afterwards. Flexability is key.....wish I had more.

NLBwell
03-31-2009, 06:00 PM
Hitting against a backboard is good for your tennis game no matter what the level - even up to the very top pros. However, the pros are going to do what is most effective in the amount of time and energy they have. In most cases this would not be hitting against the wall except when there is a particular point of their game that it would be especially beneficial for.

djsiva
03-31-2009, 10:04 PM

I found you Hubby. Your wife must love you for converting your house into a tennis cave room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XboP2UWbQk&feature=channel_page

Did you do push-ups before or after this clinic of yours?

tahiti
04-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Yeah as a young kid!

Who said Lendl didn't continue to practice against a wall? No I don't have a video but it's very good for your tennis as it builds your speed reflexes.

raiden031
04-01-2009, 03:06 AM
I've read quotes from countless top pros who say they hit against the wall as a child for hours each day. I think they wouldn't as pros because its not as beneficial as a real court and they simply don't need to because they practice plenty already.

origmarm
04-01-2009, 03:21 AM
I found you Hubby. Your wife must love you for converting your house into a tennis cave room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XboP2UWbQk&feature=channel_page

Did you do push-ups before or after this clinic of yours?

While not wishing to get involved in your disagreement with the other poster that has to be one of the funniest videos I have seen in a while!

What posesses people to build a "tennis cave" like that. I laughed so so hard!

sh@de
04-01-2009, 03:44 AM
I don't think many pros hit on the wall do they? I mean, I don't think hitting on the wall is bad, in fact, I think it should actually help. It's just that the help is much smaller than when you play against a real training partner, so people don't hit against the wall because it's not time-effective.

*breaksracquet
04-01-2009, 04:20 AM
"No matter how tennis you play, you will never be as good as a wall. They're relentless!" - Mitch Hedberg

Underhand
04-01-2009, 05:17 AM
I hit with the wall and bageled it!

sh@de
04-01-2009, 06:06 AM
wow you must be good... :D

djsiva
04-01-2009, 09:33 AM
Who said Lendl didn't continue to practice against a wall? No I don't have a video but it's very good for your tennis as it builds your speed reflexes.

Yep, Lendl was really known for his "speed reflexes" at the net!

I guess you're right, that's why his net game sucked so much, he practiced on the wall too much.

djsiva
04-01-2009, 05:40 PM
"No matter how tennis you play, you will never be as good as a wall. They're relentless!" - Mitch Hedberg

I guess you have never seen this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8v_qQ3FHys&feature=channel

He's the unabomber's that lives in a tennis cave.

Check out his e-books.

How to turn your house into a tennis cave with four visits to home Depot!