PDA

View Full Version : Old versus new Prestige Classic frames!

jonas-the-ball-basher
03-08-2005, 02:53 AM
This guy I play with has a Prestige Classic for about ten years, mine is just a couple of months old (Classic mid).
Yesterday I tried his and what I noticed is that it was more headlight, but most of all, it had this very crispy wooden 'pok' sound, where my Prestige doesn't come anywhere near.

!Tym
03-08-2005, 03:52 AM
I think I know what you're talking about. I've tried the older Prestige Classic 600s and their feel was SOOOOO sweet, my favorite of all rackets I've ever tried. It was crisp yet raw feeling.

The three reissued ones I got from Tennis Warehouse, however, had a smoother, but mushier, *more muddied* feel for me.

Was the feel bad? No. But at the same time, it was not on par with the crispy raw feel of the Prestige that I came to love so many years ago in the mid 90s.

Believe me, you're not the only one who has noticed this. Michael Chaho has, I have, and a many others have to on the old boards.

Some think we're crazy, but something's just missing from the newer batches for me, I don't know, maybe I'm halucinating since I havn't had a whiff of the old batch in sooo many years. All I know is that before, I said WITHOUT QUESTION that the Prestige Classic 600 has the greatest raw ball feel of any racket of all time, PERIOD, BAR NONE, END OF STORY.

But after using the reissued ones from TW for a year, I would simply say that they have a nice feel, but I've felt better...such as the Trisys 300 Mid with the suspension grip, such as the older issued Prestige Classics, such as the Fischer Vacuum Pro 90, etc.

The older issues Prestiges I felt felt kind of like a cross between the POG and the Fischer Vacuum Pro 90, just perfect, not too muted (Fischer), not too pingy (POG), not too stiff (POG), not too mushy (Fischer)...just crisp, comfortable, and with ultimate raw ball feel...just perfect.

The TW ones I thought were rather dull feeling, just kind of blah at times. I don't know what it was, and I tried multiple brands of natural guts, all different kinds of poly hybrids, all kinds of synthetic guts from premium to cheap, all kinds of multifilaments, all kinds of tensions, all kinds of everything; and no matter what I tried, I just never could quite recapture that almost magical, crispy, raw ball feel of the older PC600s.

Again, I fully admit that it's a very real possibility that I'm just imaginging things. But then again, I could be right as well (I've tried different versions of the Vacuum Pro 98, and one of them just felt dull and lifeless compared to the others...still could tell they were the same racket, but CLEARLY two of my three just had a more 'special' feel to them in spite of having the same paint job).

It's kind of like how the Volkl C-10 Pro, the original fishnet graphics version, whilst similar, many noted that it seemed to have a slightly different, twangier, flexier feel than the slightly, cosmetically updated version; while the newer paint job version definitely played seemd to be a little more solid in the upper hoop and just a little firmer and more rigid overall, not as wobbly and noodly. Some preferred the older version, some the newer one. Still, Volkl maintained that they were the same racket, although anecdotal evidence suggested a slight tweaking for better or worse.

Having tried both versions of the C-10 Pro extensively, I must admit to noting the same things even without having it pointed out to me.

It's kind of like how the Chinese PT280 and the Austrian PT280 don't feel quite EXACTLY the same. Still basically the same racket, but there are definite subtle nuances. Something changed in the air of the manufacturing plant or something, because either that or I'm smoking something really good.

The same can be said of the PS6.0 Taiwan version vs. the ST Vincent versions.

Or the POG of the 80s or the 90s, DEFINITE, albeit subtle, difference in feel and ball response. The older ones are more resonant, heavier, feel more solid and give a more satisfying thunk, while the newer ones feel a bit crisper too me. It's user preference, but for Prince to say it's still the same old POG? That's not entirely right. Somewhere along the way, sssomething slight changes in the process despite what the manufacturer's claim it seems.

jonas-the-ball-basher
03-08-2005, 06:58 AM
It's exactly what you describe.
I thought this had to do with my Prestige's addes leadtape, but the difference was just too obvious.
I really like my Prestige, it feels very firm and solid, but now I'm kinda jealous of this guy's Prestige.
That very crispy feeling, now I remember like you said, I felt it before on a POG I once tried.
Right in the middle of the sweetspot there is a very nice 'crispspot'.
I miss that, and I'm going to find an old Prestige which feels the same.
But also I have an older Prestige I bought last year 2nd hand, but wouldn't know from which year this one is, probably 2 or 3 years old, but this one feels less firm than my new Prestige, but it feels more flexible and less solid in the uppderhood, but also, this one doesn't have that 'crispspot'.

phat
03-08-2005, 07:01 AM
This is the time to ask questions to the Vantage & Pro Kennex guys (who surf this board to give us some insider's information) who knows about the evolution of racquet production. Is there any process that used to take days to complete now only takes hours?? Is the graphit density the same or different?? Ah... too many possibilities.......

Kirko
03-08-2005, 06:41 PM
I'm glad you brought that up Jonas . I thought like you guys , but I I didn't want to be lambasted for being weird. I did get two new prestiges from Europe one standard & the other the XL version & they have that "unique" feel sound ect. On the otherside I have one from TW that is similar and a couple that are like you said Jonas.

tandayu
03-08-2005, 08:03 PM
Could it be the twaron mixture on the oldest version has more than the ater version? The oldest version has closer feel to the brown prestige pro which preceeded the old PC600. They have the "twaron" written on the prestige pro, and elite pro, but not on the PC600.

Kirko
03-08-2005, 08:10 PM
yeah, TW doesn't even mention twaron in the "recipe" or description of ingredients in the product page .

tandayu
03-09-2005, 07:28 PM
I just got back from playing with the Prestige Tour suspension grip. The oldest version (PT 300 trisys system made in austria) feels stiffer in comparison with the later Prestige tour 600 (designed in Austria). The PT300 has same paint color with the older PC600 (darker red at top part of the racket head).

I had a friend to close his eyes, and I gave him randomly the racket. He can tell which one is which by hitting the ball to the ground a couple times.

!Tym
03-10-2005, 08:36 PM
I would agree with that. The older Trisys Presige does feel stiffer than the later PT600...and better. My favorite racket of all time actually the Trisys one.

tandayu
03-10-2005, 09:34 PM
!tym and Jonas, nice to hear this. I am not the only one.

Pushmaster
03-14-2005, 01:05 PM
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if my Prestige Tour's have Twaron in them? They don't have "Twaron" printed anywhere on them, but I think I read something here that that Head just quit printing it on the frame when it no longer became fashionable, is this true? Thanks

tandayu
03-14-2005, 09:17 PM
The older Head Prestige Pro with Twaron. On the side beam says: "The use of twaron reduces the duration of the vibrations to a minimum".

So, why they add suspension grip on Prestige tour? No twaron, or less twaron, or twaron still not enough to reduce vibration??

Pushmaster
03-15-2005, 02:53 AM
Thanks for the answer, although I'm not sure what your answer is? When did Head quit using Twaron in their Prestige lineage?

tandayu
03-15-2005, 07:01 PM
I do not know the answer. However, if you go to the description on the new PC600 sold on ****, it says "graphite" under compositition.