PDA

View Full Version : Is Miami much quicker than IW ?

Leonidas
03-28-2009, 04:42 PM
hey guys im just watching some matches and wow, the ball accelerates incredibly when touching the turf. someone told me is the same surface as IW, but i got the feeling this one is pretty quicker. any facts? what do u guys think?

tkramer15
03-28-2009, 05:25 PM
In the past, the commentators have always acted like the Miami surface is fairly "slow" as well, though maybe not as slow as Indian Wells. It's always tricky when listening to the surface speed descriptions by announcers because sometimes slow and fast seem to mean different things. Like you said, Indian Wells has always been called a very high bouncing, slow surface, yet the surface in Montreal and Toronto the last couple of years has been described as high bouncing, but relatively fast, meaning the ball jumped high and helped topspin shots go through the court.

I haven't been able to watch that much Miami coverage yet, but from what I've seen I would agree that it does seem to be playing a bit quicker than Indian Wells. I'll have to see more matches to get a really good opinion though.

Nadal_Freak
03-28-2009, 05:44 PM
It's definitely quicker to me. Indian Wells had fast conditions to make it seem closer. Nadal's topspin was kicking up much more over there imo. He is much more attackable here.

tkramer15
03-28-2009, 06:09 PM
It's definitely quicker to me. Indian Wells had fast conditions to make it seem closer. Nadal's topspin was kicking up much more over there imo. He is much more attackable here.

Yeah, the thin desert air with low humidity allows the balls to fly through the air faster in Indian Wells, which sort of counteracts the relatively slow, high bouncing surface. I remember Sampras talking about how that very effect sometimes made it difficult for him to get comfortable there. The conditions in Miami, on the other hand, are much heavier and humid because it sits on the ocean. The ball may go through the court a bit more in Miami, but the heavier, breezier air may slightly slow the ball in flight.

mikeler
03-28-2009, 06:15 PM
The temperature is not that much different between the two places, but the humidity is stifling right now in Florida. Once this front sweeps through tonight, that will change. IW was hot and dry which can result in some fast play. The humidity slows down the conditions some, but once the temperatures get up above 80 the humidity seems to be less of a factor IMHO.

Nadal_Freak
03-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Yeah, the thin desert air with low humidity allows the balls to fly through the air faster in Indian Wells, which sort of counteracts the relatively slow, high bouncing surface. I remember Sampras talking about how that very effect sometimes made it difficult for him to get comfortable there. The conditions in Miami, on the other hand, are much heavier and humid because it sits on the ocean. The ball may go through the court a bit more in Miami, but the heavier, breezier air may slightly slow the ball in flight.
Yeah the speed is similar with court and conditions combined but the height of the ball is the biggest change imo. Fast conditions do not make the ball bounce lower while fast courts do. Nadal's style is best suited to high bouncing courts though his slice is well suited here when he uses it. I think the heavier conditions give flat players more control and confidence to go for their shots and not get overwhelmed by Nadal's spin.

tkramer15
03-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I agree with you there. Your point is illustrated by the fact that, while Nadal has certainly performed very well in Miami over the years, he's not been able to capture the title to this point, losing most recently to Davydenko last year and Djokovic the year before, both of whom were able to hit consistently flat, hard groundstrokes to take Nadal's time away.

mikeler
03-29-2009, 06:19 AM
Yeah, I agree with you there. Your point is illustrated by the fact that, while Nadal has certainly performed very well in Miami over the years, he's not been able to capture the title to this point, losing most recently to Davydenko last year and Djokovic the year before, both of whom were able to hit consistently flat, hard groundstrokes to take Nadal's time away.

Totally agree with you and Nadal_Freak. Nadal will win the title eventually. I peg him to win all the GS and Master Series titles before he retires.

AprilFool
03-29-2009, 06:44 AM
The temperature is not that much different between the two places, but the humidity is stifling right now in Florida. Once this front sweeps through tonight, that will change. IW was hot and dry which can result in some fast play. The humidity slows down the conditions some, but once the temperatures get up above 80 the humidity seems to be less of a factor IMHO.

You risk your life when you play tennis in that area of Florida from June -October. Surface temps are 120+ and the humidity is in a constant range of 80-99 per cent. Even now, with relatively lower humidity, I would guess that you'd develop a good sweat in five minutes from just sitting in the stands.

Many people die of heat stroke in south Florida but it's downplayed by the media to keep the tourist industry well padded. The weather anchors will say it's a beautiful day when the heat index is over 110F...

Lotto
03-29-2009, 07:04 AM
I'd love to see a Roger-Rafa final here. Sure, we saw one at the AO and a couple last year but we haven't seen one in a smaller tournament on hardcourts in a while. It would be interesting. Hopefully they both make the final, although Roger will have it a lot easier than Rafa this time around with Murray on the other side. It's a pity Murray had to ruin my final at IW. I wanted to see Rog and Raf :(

veroniquem
03-29-2009, 07:14 AM
I'd love to see a Roger-Rafa final here. Sure, we saw one at the AO and a couple last year but we haven't seen one in a smaller tournament on hardcourts in a while. It would be interesting. Hopefully they both make the final, although Roger will have it a lot easier than Rafa this time around with Murray on the other side. It's a pity Murray had to ruin my final at IW. I wanted to see Rog and Raf :(
If I were you, I would worry more about Roger making it. How long has it been since Roger made the final of a master shield on hard court? (not since Madrid 2007) and won one? (not since August 2007: Cincinnati)

Lotto
03-29-2009, 07:17 AM
If I were you, I would worry more about Roger making it. How long has it been since Roger made the final of a master shield on hard court? (not since Madrid 2007) and won one? (not since August 2007: Cincinnati)

I know yeah but I have the upmost faith in Roger. Probably blind faith but what can you do. I think he's just magic. Not in that way, I'm not gay or anything just that when someone's such an idol, role model and inspiration to you, you dont really see any faults in them. I dont know why I like Roger. It's just his style of play is similar to mine. Except I'm not even 0.00000001% as good as him lol.

Hoping for Rafa-Roger though. Allez.

And of course he was born in such a good month :D August lol. :D

veroniquem
03-29-2009, 07:20 AM
I know yeah but I have the upmost faith in Roger. Probably blind faith but what can you do. I think he's just magic. Not in that way, I'm not gay or anything just that when someone's such an idol, role model and inspiration to you, you dont really see any faults in them. I dont know why I like Roger. It's just his style of play is similar to mine. Except I'm not even 0.00000001% as good as him lol.

Hoping for Rafa-Roger though. Allez.

And of course he was born in such a good month :D August lol. :D
It's OK to be a fan, no shame in that at all! On a more optimistic note, last year Federer made Monte-Carlo and Hamburg finals, if he can do it in clay masters and in slams, there's no reason why he can't do it in Miami...

mikeler
03-29-2009, 08:14 AM
You risk your life when you play tennis in that area of Florida from June -October. Surface temps are 120+ and the humidity is in a constant range of 80-99 per cent. Even now, with relatively lower humidity, I would guess that you'd develop a good sweat in five minutes from just sitting in the stands.

Many people die of heat stroke in south Florida but it's downplayed by the media to keep the tourist industry well padded. The weather anchors will say it's a beautiful day when the heat index is over 110F...

Two of the hottest days I have ever experienced were in Southwest Florida and the Keys. The temps are higher in Central Florida but it does not feel as hot with the lower (relatively) humidity.