PDA

View Full Version : HEWITT has to RE-THINK his game or RETIRE!!

wow246
03-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Seriously there is no way he can compete with the top players now.

He's gota add some different element in his game maby more power in his shots or shorter rallies don't know but way he's playing now he's not going to break into top 10.

I mean roddick got slimmer changed at his age both are sort of same age so hewitt can still change something!!

He got absolutely hammered by SIMON and simon is no where near top 5 material so duno how hewit is going to break into the 10 like he's been saying from like end of last year.

tacou
03-28-2009, 10:01 PM
simon was 6 in the world a couple months ago, is 8 now, not too far from 5...

danb
03-28-2009, 10:05 PM
Hewitt is the kind of player Fed had in top 10 (other than Nadal) for quite some time... Hewitt has no weapons and he is not really fast - it will be a challenge for him to play guys in top 10 today (I am talking about the young guns in top 10).

tudwell
03-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Just because he's not dominating the game doesn't mean he needs to retire. Maybe he actually *gasp* enjoys playing tennis.

danb
03-28-2009, 10:52 PM
Just because he's not dominating the game doesn't mean he needs to retire. Maybe he actually *gasp* enjoys playing tennis.

He might just enjoy it - and for sure he makes some money out of it. Why not?

Breaker
03-28-2009, 10:57 PM
It was a poor match for Hewitt, under 35% first serve percentage for most of the match and 6 double faults. He's never done particularly well on the Miami hardcourts so this really isn't a great indicator of how he'll challenge the top players, that'll come when grass starts up and on from there. If he actually plays the clay season he could also pick up a ton of points and get into the groove a bit more with his game.

He doesn't need to change anything, and did you even watch the match? I very much doubt that giving retirement 'advice' and suggesting a complete change in a game that is proven to work can be taken seriously coming from a match that you probably haven't seen.

Mansewerz
03-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Hewitt was really fast back in the day. Hewitt, like other people who's games are built around counter punching, suffer greatly when they lose a step (some lose it to older age, some lose it to injury, Hewitt is losing it to a combo of both).

Tempest344
03-29-2009, 12:27 AM
he just needs to be more aggressive... and try to get that 1st serve % up

I don't think he'll retire yet...Although I do think it is possible in a few years (especially with his kids starting school etc)

lawrence
03-29-2009, 01:01 AM
hes married, getting older, has kids, and had hip surgery not too long ago (pretty much the worst thing that could happen to a counter puncher)

it was kind of expected he wouldnt be at the same level again, its unfortunate, but his heyday is over :(

tahiti
03-29-2009, 02:38 AM
Simon no. 1 is a good player and agile. Why should Hewitt retire, he loves tennis and he's having fun ??

Jack Romeo
03-29-2009, 02:41 AM
i don't think he can do much more than he's doing, which is just to try his hardest in matches and work as hard off the court to get back to a level of fitness comparable to where he was when he was a top player. he's hoping that he can somehow avoid the fates of other players who've had hip surgery like kuerten and rios. these players were also fast but had other weapons as well. kuerten had a big serve and heavy groundstrokes. rios played a lefty (and therefore slightly more formidable) version of today's intelligent counterpuching game as practiced by the likes of murray and simon. their careers went falling when they had their hip injuries. hewitt's only advantage over these players is probably that he's mentally stronger than them. but in terms of actually rethinking his game, i don't think he has much options. my guess is he'll realize that all the hard work will never get him back to his level before and he'll retire sooner than later.

Gorecki
03-29-2009, 03:27 AM
the only good thing is to see Hewitt humbled down... good karma, bad karma...

tintin
03-29-2009, 08:21 AM
Hewitt back in the days was the ultime grinder when it came down to cross court 2 cross court rallies.He didn't have and still doesn't have 1 single shot that distinguishes him from the other players.He always moved well and that helped him in rallies and tire guys down and him being tenacious

we all know Djokovic or Murray,Nalbandian's 2 handers
Federer,Roddick,Nadal's forehands

players serve bigger;have more power;return better;are taller;take balls early and don't get into long rallies because after a few balls they just go for it.

Hewitt is older;has lost a step or 2;can't grind every player down like he used to;doesn't have 1 real weapon and he just doesn't scare them anymore,CMon's or not ;)

I see him using a 1 hander more and going at net more having said that he doesn't serve big enough to get him out of trouble and he gets passed so there you go

GameSampras
03-29-2009, 08:23 AM
Im not sure why he even came back.. Other than for the love tennis maybe and money. Surely he was never going to do anything. His game relied too much on movement and her had limited weapons at best but counterpunching. When the wheels went that was all she wrote

Staiger
03-29-2009, 09:40 AM
I cant see him coming back to top 20(maybe 30) . he is a gone in my opinion and is only playing now to scrap a few matches ... I feel so sorry for him , he use to play with so much prade

egn
03-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Hewitt's game does not help him and I don't think he can adjust. He is not a bulky guy, he does not have too many weapons. Roddick has power and serve that can keep him going even if he starts to lose his movement, Hewitt at his peak was an amazing player but his best years were so short lived as his game demanded movement that he can no longer perform. Age is his enemy and since he never had huge weapons that is his problem now.

Serpententacle
03-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Seriously there is no way he can compete with the top players now.

He's gota add some different element in his game maby more power in his shots or shorter rallies don't know but way he's playing now he's not going to break into top 10.

I mean roddick got slimmer changed at his age both are sort of same age so hewitt can still change something!!

He got absolutely hammered by SIMON and simon is no where near top 5 material so duno how hewit is going to break into the 10 like he's been saying from like end of last year.

Your opinion of Simon is way off. He's a great player. He's one of the few who've beat Nadal in the last year. Give him some credit. Hewitt is no where as good as Simon.

But as long as Hewitt is making a living, he should stay put.

tintin
03-29-2009, 10:04 PM
[QUOTE=Serpententacle;3262659]Hewitt is no where as good as Simon.
QUOTE]

you cannot be serious if you think Simon is better than Hewitt:shock::roll:
Hewitt was world #1 for 2 years and has won MS and slams and has won 2 DC's and unless I'm wrong has won on all surfaces unlike Simon
boy Simon like I said in the Simon-Tsonga thread abysmal slam results and if healthy and a decent draw Hewitt can easily make 4th's or better.He won't ever make the semis of a slam again imo but to say that Simon is better than Hewitt is plan stupid;)

grafrules
03-29-2009, 10:42 PM
He really should retire unless he really loves the game so much to accept diminished results for good. His best days are so far behind him.

Holdfast44ID
03-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Maybe he enjoys playing and competing at that level...

Many people would say Sampras should stay retired. Maybe he'd like to play in a tournament from time to time for fun. I'd be on tour right now If I could play the way Sampras plays NOW!

thalivest
03-30-2009, 12:18 AM
Hewitt was world #1 for 2 years and has won MS and slams and has won 2 DC's and unless I'm wrong has won on all surfaces unlike Simon
boy Simon like I said in the Simon-Tsonga thread abysmal slam results and if healthy and a decent draw Hewitt can easily make 4th's or better.He won't ever make the semis of a slam again imo but to say that Simon is better than Hewitt is plan stupid;)

You are talking about their careers which is totally different. Yes Hewitt has had a much better career than Simon, and career wise is the much greater player. However right now Simon is by far the better player, which is probably what the poster you are responding to was referring. Compare their current rankings, recent results, look at their match here, and draw your own conclusion. If he said Simon had a greater career than Hewitt and was a greater player career wise then yes it would be stupid, but he didnt.

rolandg
03-30-2009, 04:35 AM
If he's enjoying himself, he should play for as long as he likes.

Serpententacle
03-30-2009, 07:36 AM

I said IS, not WILL BE or WAS. Go freshen up on your verbs tenses.

flyer
03-30-2009, 09:46 AM
the game has passed hewitt by, his game was based on speed and consistency and he is no longer very fast or consistent, and he just doesnt have the firepower he needs to compete any other way, so he'll never contend for slams again...so he has two choices: he can accept his role as a top 100 player and enjoy his tennis for a few years or he can call it a career (a great on at that), move on to the next chapter of his life...as long as him and his family are happy and healthy though there is no reason for him to stop playing