PDA

View Full Version : Who Is Better Simon Or Tsonga?

Knightmace
03-28-2009, 11:33 PM
Both ahd good careers up to date but I would give the edge to Tsonga.

Forehand-Tsgona
Backhand- Simon (it's hard to breakdown)
Volleys (Tsonga by far)
Sevres (Tsonga)
Court Coverage - (Simon)
Mental Toughness (Simon)

Accomplishments (Tsonga)

What do you guys think?

Spider
03-28-2009, 11:41 PM
Tsonga is pretty overrated in these forums, he hasnt done anything significant yet people talk about him like they do for someone like a Nadal, a Federer or even a Murray.

He has to prove himself first. To answer your question, Tsonga has a better game as compared to Simon (doesn't mean he will achieve more though).

Time will tell.

edberg505
03-28-2009, 11:57 PM
Tsonga is pretty overrated in these forums, he hasnt done anything significant yet people talk about him like they do for someone like a Nadal, a Federer or even a Murray.

He has to prove himself first. To answer your question, Tsonga has a better game as compared to Simon (doesn't mean he will achieve more though).

Time will tell.

Well, he did smoke Murray like a cheap cigar en route to his first slam final. In fact he was victim number 1. How about this? How about we make a little bet. I bet that Tsonga will make it farther than Murray in Wimbledon this year. Hell, I bet he makes it farther than him in the FO too.

Knightmace
03-29-2009, 12:26 AM
ok...........

tahiti
03-29-2009, 12:52 AM
I think Tsonga is more talented and dynamic than Simon and will go further. When he learns to mature and play his game with less court antics. not that that's bad, but it messes with his concentration.

shadows
03-29-2009, 03:37 AM
I've got to go with Tsonga over Simon, I think they'll swap positions by the end of the year (as in one over the other, not exact ranking spots). Gilles has a great game though when he puts it together, particularly when he steps up and is aggressive a bit more frequently.

I bet that Tsonga will make it farther than Murray in Wimbledon this year.

mmm, can't wait to see Jo play at wimbledon this year, should be good ^^

ruerooo
03-29-2009, 04:43 AM
I think Tsonga is more talented and dynamic than Simon and will go further. When he learns to mature and play his game with less court antics. not that that's bad, but it messes with his concentration.

Simon took over the French #1 position from Tsonga in the wake of Jo Wil's healing from his surgery. They're like the Federer/Nadal of France. :D I'd say they're pretty evenly matched right now.

thejoe
03-29-2009, 04:53 AM
Tsonga has far more weapons than Simon. The only thing I can think of that qualifies as a weapon for Simon is his retriever skills.

tomas9848
03-29-2009, 05:58 AM
I am gonna say Tsonga because he has done a lot more than Simon. He has a lot better strokes.

featherlight
03-29-2009, 06:21 AM
Tsonga since he's got a master series and simon has 0.

federerdomination
03-29-2009, 06:32 AM
Tsonga has a very good shot at catching Simon (in the rankings) this summer because of his lack of play during this time last year.

JediMindTrick
03-29-2009, 07:09 AM
Simon has more talent because he can actually rally.

tintin
03-29-2009, 07:09 AM
Serve:Tsonga

backhand:Simon

forehand:Tsonga

aproach shots:Tsonga

net play:Tsonga

1hander,slice,drop shots:Tsonga

defense:Simon

defense to offense:Tsonga

results in slams and MS:Tsonga>>>>Simon

Simon has taken Hewitt,Federer,Nadal down

Tsonga has taken Hewitt,Blake,Roddick,Murray,Nadal,Nabandian,Stepan ek down

Simon hasn't won a MS and his results in the majors are abysmal

Tsonga has barely played in Paris and he missed both RG and W last year due to right knee surgery but he does play well on grass so if healhty he might not go far in Paris but look for him to make the 3th or even 4th round there.

Tsonga has won all of his matches in DC unlike Simon;)

Wouldn't surprise me if Tsonga makes the Quarters easily at Wimbledon because he played well against Gasquet when Gasquet was hot at the 2007 Wimbledon and Tsonga wasn't half the player he is

veroniquem
03-29-2009, 07:15 AM
Tsonga no doubt. When did Simon play a slam final or win a master shield?

10isplayer
03-29-2009, 07:17 AM
i agree that simon hasn't had the results of tsonga yet in the GS but thats partially because simon's level has just recently risen dramatically. He made the third rd at the us open then he really burst onto the scene in the indoor season. In his first GS since his breakthrough he made the quarters and lost to Rafa.

edberg505
03-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Serve:Tsonga

backhand:Simon

forehand:Tsonga

aproach shots:Tsonga

net play:Tsonga

1hander,slice,drop shots:Tsonga

defense:Simon

defense to offense:Tsonga

results in slams and MS:Tsonga>>>>Simon

Simon has taken Hewitt,Federer,Nadal down

Tsonga has taken Hewitt,Blake,Roddick,Murray,Nadal,Nabandian,Stepan ek down

Simon hasn't won a MS and his results in the majors are abysmal

Tsonga has barely played in Paris and he missed both RG and W last year due to right knee surgery but he does play well on grass so if healhty he might not go far in Paris but look for him to make the 3th or even 4th round there.

Tsonga has won all of his matches in DC unlike Simon;)

Wouldn't surprise me if Tsonga makes the Quarters easily at Wimbledon because he played well against Gasquet when Gasquet was hot at the 2007 Wimbledon and Tsonga wasn't half the player he is

Yeah, that was his first time ever playing in Wimbledon.

tacou
03-29-2009, 01:30 PM
tsonga definitely but 10is is right; AO09 was the only GS Simon was expected to do anything, and he made it to QF and lost to Nadal. not abysmal to me.

both are great players, tsonga is just more explosive with his weapons.

shadows
03-29-2009, 01:39 PM
I just took another look at the draw for Miami, if they both progress they'll meet in the next round xD

Mdubb23
03-29-2009, 01:42 PM
Tsonga is a better tennis player. Simon would win a three-out-of-five-set match eight out of ten times.

SaintClaires
03-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Well, he did smoke Murray like a cheap cigar en route to his first slam final. In fact he was victim number 1. How about this? How about we make a little bet. I bet that Tsonga will make it farther than Murray in Wimbledon this year. Hell, I bet he makes it farther than him in the FO too.

Yes, Tsonga completely destroyed Murray last year at the AO.

7-5 6-4 0-6 7-6(5)

I can't think of a scoreline that's more one-sided.

Murray won more games than Tsonga. :-?

Breaker
03-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Tsonga is a better tennis player. Simon would win a three-out-of-five-set match eight out of ten times.

Care to elaborate? Tsonga loves playing defensive minded players and also has been more consistent at slams up to this point.

foLster
03-29-2009, 02:19 PM

Time will tell.

He made a grand slam final, that's the next best thing to winning one. I don't see how he's over rated.

Serve_Ace
03-29-2009, 02:27 PM
I like Simon and I think that Tsonga plays that aggressive style that Simon likes, the more pace of the ball the better. So I would say Simon imo

ESP#1
03-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Tsonga has more weapons but has proven to be a streaky player, Simon is more consistent and has better footwork but doesn't possess the fire power

too different to compare, i guess you can go off the rankings:-?

Mdubb23
03-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Care to elaborate? Tsonga loves playing defensive minded players and also has been more consistent at slams up to this point.

I agree Tsonga loves playing defensive-minded players, but I also believe Simon isn't a defensive-minded player. He has more of a "how can I neutralize my opponent and then take advantage?" mindset as opposed to a "how can I keep my sorry *** in the point?" type of mindset. Then again, I suppose people can have varying opinions of what a "defensive" style is. I believe it only extends as far to people who do absolutely nothing to control a point, just focus on keeping the ball in play, instead of someone like Simon who steadily works the point. If you watch Simon in-depth, you'll realize that their is a method to his madness--he is constantly trying to create opportunites to take advantage of the point. Simon is also an unbelievably intelligent human being (intelligence, that, in my opinion, Tsonga lacks completely). From what I have gathered from his interviews, he is extremely shrewd and calculating; he always has an amazing sense and awareness of what is occurring on court, and how to make the most of it. In that regard, he reminds me of vintage Brad Gilbert, and how he used his astounding mental game to make up for sub-par strokes and natural ability. Both he and Tsonga are in extremely good physical condition, and, to sum it up, I'd give a slight, but consistent, edge to Simon.

federerdomination
03-29-2009, 03:48 PM
I think Tsonga is playing Simon next

JeMar
03-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Yes, Tsonga completely destroyed Murray last year at the AO.

7-5 6-4 0-6 7-6(5)

I can't think of a scoreline that's more one-sided.

Murray won more games than Tsonga. :-?

Ouch, owned by SaintClaires.

tintin
03-29-2009, 04:46 PM
(intelligence, that, in my opinion, Tsonga lacks completely). From what I have gathered from his interviews, he is extremely shrewd and calculating;.

you don't like Tsonga and it shows because the person you are describing here as in shrewd and calculating is NOTHING like Tsonga.On the other hand,people are now and for some time have been getting on Simon's case for being way to arrogant for his lack of success in the majors despite being ranked as high as he is.

Tsonga for all of his shouting on the court is described by the media;his countrymen and women as an avid reader who likes time with his family;friends;DC mates and his countrywomen,except for Bartoli :lol: and for his avid love of fishing

If you find Tsonga calculating I wonder what you think of Blake and the fact that he has yet to make a slam semis;)

Mdubb23
03-29-2009, 05:13 PM
you don't like Tsonga and it shows because the person you are describing here as in shrewd and calculating is NOTHING like Tsonga.On the other hand,people are now and for some time have been getting on Simon's case for being way to arrogant for his lack of success in the majors despite being ranked as high as he is.

Tsonga for all of his shouting on the court is described by the media;his countrymen and women as an avid reader who likes time with his family;friends;DC mates and his countrywomen,except for Bartoli :lol: and for his avid love of fishing

If you find Tsonga calculating I wonder what you think of Blake and the fact that he has yet to make a slam semis;)

Sorry, I should have made myself clear--I ment Simon was shrewd and calculating. However, your points are correct and well-taken.

tsongafan
03-29-2009, 10:20 PM
for sure it has to be tsonga. And i might have to disagree about the mental toughness, i think tsonga is amazing at that, definitley one of the best. And tsonga also has a lot of passion and for sure fire. he will definitly go very far. I predict he will win a slam before murray and simon.