PDA

View Full Version : Theory on groundstrokes

Anonymous
04-03-2004, 06:42 PM
After reading some posts on ground strokes i came up with this:

5 part theory for an almost perfect groundstroke, let me know if there is anything to add or if there are any flaws

1. Get ready early (run with the racquet back)
2. transfer your weight from the back foot to the front foot during the stroke
3. keep your head still and watch the ball (you won't see it but you know what i mean)
4. imagine 4 balls 6 inches apart from each other in a line, hit through all 4 of these (this will give you depth, power, and forearm pronation)
5. finish with a follow through across the opposite shoulder (can anyone please explain what happens when you finish through across your body, other than flattening out the ball)

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2004, 07:05 PM
You got a lot of it!

A note about the hititng through four balls. The reason this is important is to make clean contact with the ball. In order to do this your racquet must be on a linear path to the ball for about 4-6 inches. Stepping forward helps straighten your swing path to go thorugh the ball better and maintain that critical linear path before impact. The Open stance has opposing forces pulling you out of the shot. For an open stance make sure you can touch your chin on each shoulder (one on the backswing, the other on the forward swing) and keep your head still and pointed at the contact point welll after the ball is gone to make sure your centrifugal force doesnt pull you out of the shot and stays centered.

Morpheus
04-03-2004, 07:13 PM
And keep your arm loose; like throwing a frisbee.

Stitch626
04-03-2004, 08:37 PM
i don't think finishing across the body flattens anything out. Its used in the winshield wiper FH ala Roddick. Cant tell me he hits flat =P

bcaz
04-03-2004, 09:07 PM
I would modify (1.) to suggest, get ready with the unit/shoulder turn first, not necessarily run with your racquet back; but yes, turn shoulders, then move to the ball.