PDA

View Full Version : People still using the wrong tactics against Federer

Leonidas
03-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Lately people has been discussing how to beat Nadal.The fact is, apart from Nadal, Murray and Simon, people keep losing to federer quite easily and using the wrong tactics against him. I know i know, you are gonna say that the guy is great, won 13 grand slams and would still probably beat most of them regardless tactics, but i was watching his match against Kiefer and noticed:

- Everybody knows Federer weakness, which is arguably his backhand, so please pros, stop trying to move him from side to side and playing "all or nothing" against federer. Unless you´re Tsonga or maybe two or three more guys, it wont work.you have to copy Simon. Fair enough, i know its not that simple, but the best way to beat Federer is to try to retrieve everything to his backhand, medium-pace and run, run and run. I know they would still probably lose to him anyway, but in my humble opinion, that way you have a better chance of susprising him on a day-off.

Facts: Simon and Guillermo cañas proved my theory more than once.

obnoxious2
03-29-2009, 12:36 PM
The thing is alot of pros do not have the ability to consistently move Federer around. And the thing about attacking his backhand goes hand in hand with moving him around. If you don't move him around and keep hitting to his BH, he will simply inside in/out the crap outta the opponent.

dwhiteside
03-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Fact: easier said than done; Federer realizes that this is a weakness and his game will ideally be constructed around minimizing the possibility of having the weakness be as much of a liability as it could be, and disallowing the other player to exploit this weakness as much as possible.

RCizzle65
03-29-2009, 12:40 PM
The thing is alot of pros do not have the ability to consistently move Federer around. And the thing about attacking his backhand goes hand in hand with moving him around. If you don't move him around and keep hitting to his BH, he will simply inside in/out the crap outta the opponent.

This, you make it seem like he shanks half the balls he gets on the backhand. It may seem that way, especially after that Indian Wells match with Murray, but it's because he moves him around as well.

sheets
03-29-2009, 12:46 PM
Also notice that Murray, Simon, and Canas are all exceptional movers and retrievers with expansive court coverage. Murray and Simon's back hands also neutralize Fed's inside out cross court forehand, depriving him him of a serious weapon and forcing him to go for a much lower percentage inside out down the line. Both are also good passers. Theres more to beating Fed just hitting to his backhand, if you just do that, you will get a royal butt wooping. You need to play a smart multi-faceted game.

Leonidas
03-29-2009, 12:55 PM
i am not so sure about that. i mean i would rather keep hitting to his backhand than try to move him riskly. after all, how many times do you see federer hitting a backhand down the line winner?? not so often. i often see how his rivals try to move him towards his forehand thus losing the control of the rally. all in all, its better to make him work hard for the points, rather than give them to him for free.

RCizzle65
03-29-2009, 01:10 PM
i am not so sure about that. i mean i would rather keep hitting to his backhand than try to move him riskly. after all, how many times do you see federer hitting a backhand down the line winner?? not so often. i often see how his rivals try to move him towards his forehand thus losing the control of the rally. all in all, its better to make him work hard for the points, rather than give them to him for free.

Hitting to his backhand consistently isn't always the high percentage shot, also Federer tries to set it up so you hit to his forehand instead of his backhand to keep you hitting away from his backhand as much as possible.