PDA

View Full Version : BB, etc, returning chips

Anonymous
04-03-2004, 06:46 PM
Bungalo Bill, and others

I lost to a teammate today who chips and charges,
my question is how do you return the chip, i can't seem to get under the ball for a good passing shot or lob, i can get the ball back by kind of flicking my wrist but the shot is usually short and gives him an easy volley. How do you hit this shot, do you really bend down and hit through or do you use your arms?
Thanks i appreciate the help

chance
04-04-2004, 07:18 AM
A couple of things you can do. First force the angle by making them chip cross-court. In the add court, it is a difficult/low percentage shot to chip consistently down the line. If they come in behind something hit cross-court, almost anything hit back to the deuce side is going to force a passive/tough volley or be an out-right winner. (A good serve goes a long way to neutralize anything your opponent can do.) Also if you're worried about net-rushers, go to his forehand. It is more difficult to chip forehands and come in quickly behind them (unlike the backhand side). Now from your side, bend, bend, bend, bend, bend your knees, stay down on the ball (quiet your head) and go for your shot. Top-spin is your friend here. If you know they are going to chip the shot then step in to the court after your serve--and keep your head up. Or better yet, serve and volley and put away that floater he's attempting to chip at you. Watch (your head is up after-all) where your opponent is setting up in relation to the net. Close to the net then (top-spin) lobe over him, especially to his backhand wing.

sinoslav
04-04-2004, 10:03 AM
Sounds to me like you aren't getting far enough up toward the net to comfortably return the chip, and you're stretching very far forward at the last second to save it. Better footwork may help more than anything else -- run like the dickens!

Bungalo Bill
04-04-2004, 11:36 AM
I agree with the above responders, my additional would be to emphasize developing your footwork based on what sinoslav said. Light feet (being on your toes) and footwork is the best defense against a chip and charger.

Otherwise you can use the above strategy that Chance talked about, but if you cant execute it because of poor footwork that strategy wont be worth a whole lot.

chrisab508
04-08-2004, 05:33 AM
i guess im a perfect example of someone that is definately not an old school player... what is a chip? lol.

dozu
04-08-2004, 06:42 AM
adjust your timing in the racket take back.... a slice comes off the opp's racket slower than a topspin ball, which can fool you to prepare late. the sliced ball skids and often catch you too late to have a full swing.

take the racket back a little earlier and start the forward swing a little earlier than you would a topspin ball.

it takes practice to get comfortable with the different timing.

Bungalo Bill
04-08-2004, 08:13 AM
Chris,

The chip shot is a forward moving shot. You're moving forward and your swing is trying to slice the ball. It is a bit different then the baseline slice shot because your aggressively moving forward so you have to measure your swing in order to not lose control of the ball. The chip shot is used to rush the net and neutralize any shot the opponent gives you. Most of the pace on the ball comes from using your opponents ball pace and chipping down in front of your opponent so he is forced to hit up on the ball. Hopefully you will be fast enough to get in quick and volley the point away.

If you watch Taylor Dent play, he chips a lot - especially on the second serve and follows it in. So it is a slice shot mixed with aggresive forward movement, the swing is measured and you use the pace of the ball to place the ball low in front or away from your opponent.