PDA

View Full Version : different donnay pro one versions ?

t-swede
03-29-2009, 08:54 PM
can anybody chime in here on the history on the different pro one os rackets that agassi endorsed in the early 90's ? the first one i had and sold was the bumperless blue and yellow one , after that i had the grey-orange limited also bumperless version all of them made in belgium . now i have seen a third version thats grey blue and silver that has pro one printed in graphics on the frame and im wondering if this one was also made in belgium and hade same specs as the two previous ones ?

ERICSSSON HELP ?

plasma
03-30-2009, 03:39 AM
I know the version you speak of. I have 2! did Andre ever play with the version with words on the frame? I saw a rare photo of him with a Zebra, guess he used in breifly in the bumblebee era...

ericsson
03-30-2009, 04:17 AM
can anybody chime in here on the history on the different pro one os rackets that agassi endorsed in the early 90's ? the first one i had and sold was the bumperless blue and yellow one , after that i had the grey-orange limited also bumperless version all of them made in belgium . now i have seen a third version thats grey blue and silver that has pro one printed in graphics on the frame and im wondering if this one was also made in belgium and hade same specs as the two previous ones ?

ERICSSSON HELP ?

Hi,

The last version you talking about was not made in Belgium, came out in 1992 and they had already moved production over to Taiwan, the quality of these sticks were still very high though, i already explained a lot of this in other threads, take a look at my earlier posts...

Specs are not exactly the same, the later ones are stiffer and more refined (on Agassi's request), the orange and the last one share the same mould, the (first) yellow one is a different one, had much longer handle, different throat etc...

t-swede
03-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Hi,

The last version you talking about was not made in Belgium, came out in 1992 and they had already moved production over to Taiwan, the quality of these sticks were still very high though, i already explained a lot of this in other threads, take a look at my earlier posts...

Specs are not exactly the same, the later ones are stiffer and more refined (on Agassi's request), the orange and the last one share the same mould, the (first) yellow one is a different one, had much longer handle, different throat etc...

thank you ericsson the reason im asking this is because i have a chance to score a couple of spanking new ones of the third version with pro one name on graphics for the same price as the ones from tw and quality of these probably are higher and they come with black leather grips !!

the swede

plasma
03-31-2009, 11:41 AM
did agassi ever play the version with words printed on the frame??? This is the Pro One which is referred to as the "Newsprint" version.

ericsson
04-01-2009, 12:13 AM
did agassi ever play the version with words printed on the frame??? This is the Pro One which is referred to as the "Newsprint" version.

(Maybe he tested it but) as far as i know no he didn't, the first one was too soft, then they stiffen up things (especially around the throat) and tuned some other things, and the second Pro One was born, that was the mould he actually played.

BDAZ
04-02-2009, 03:10 PM
he used at least the pj of the "newsprint" one, i think. 1992 u.s. open up until he signed with head. it was silver, red and purple. that one and the orange/gray one were out of the same mold. agassi's original yellow and blue pro one was out of this mold also, but erricson is right, the retail yellow and blue was not the same. in essence, i guess, donnay put a new pj on agassi's "real" stick and sold that to the public.

Sinner
05-02-2009, 10:24 AM
We're talking about this version right?

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SinnerP/3caf0554.jpg

plasma
05-02-2009, 02:53 PM
sinner I'm not getting your pic!!!! (I am a sinner too, I ate a pork/beef dog at a bbq today,.... sorry God!!!!) does anyone have a pic of Agassi with the Newsprint Pro One??? I've seen a single photo of him using a Zebra (not the Bumblebee but the grey Zebra)....
http://i43.tinypic.com/bg1g03.jpg
plasma's international travel tip:
In Thailand the feet are considered the dirtiest part of the body. When in Thailand be careful not to point your feet at anyone...

Sinner
05-02-2009, 07:37 PM
^ Photo reloaded... see if it works now...

did you just buy those 'newsprints'?

jimbo333
05-02-2009, 08:54 PM
So if the "newsprint" PRO ONE is marked "Supermidsize" then how many Sq. In. would it be?

ericsson
05-03-2009, 12:28 AM
So if the "newsprint" PRO ONE is marked "Supermidsize" then how many Sq. In. would it be?

supermidsize was always 95sq.

jimbo333
05-04-2009, 05:25 PM

That's what I thought, but I was confused, because I thought Agassi used bigger than 95 Sq. In. racquets, and the PRO ONE seems to be most associated with Agassi?

ericsson
05-05-2009, 12:37 AM

That's what I thought, but I was confused, because I thought Agassi used bigger than 95 Sq. In. racquets, and the PRO ONE seems to be most associated with Agassi?

Yea but Agassi's pro one said "oversize" not supermidsize.

Sinner
05-05-2009, 02:33 AM
The only time Agassi used a mid-plus was in the late 80's when played with a Prince Graphite... I'll have to double check... since then however, its been all OS... 107.

EDIT ~ kinda looks like a mid-plus, but it could be the angle... 16 mains though.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SinnerP/1daa0aaf.jpg

Supermid is kinda like the equivalent to Mid-Plus...

Midsize ~ 90
Midplus / Supermid ~ 95-100
Oversize ~ 100 and up...

BDAZ
05-05-2009, 03:22 AM
POG 110 all the way

gymrat76
05-05-2009, 05:18 AM
I have two almost new POGOS 4stripes that I don't touch anymore. I think these graphite sticks are kinda outdated against Bab type modern sticks.
When I watch old Agassi games, you can clearly see the games of today have a faster pace.

LLTALLJ
01-07-2010, 02:07 PM

Yeah but not for long (1/2 tournaments just enough for a couple of photos) , probably just for promotional reasons for Donnay so they could sell a shed load of racquets before he moved to Head.

jimbo333
01-07-2010, 02:39 PM

Now that this has been bumped, I've got another question:)

Did Borg ever use the Supermidsize of this version of the Pro One, like it said in Plasma's photo above?

vsbabolat
01-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Now that this has been bumped, I've got another question:)

Did Borg ever use the Supermidsize of this version of the Pro One, like it said in Plasma's photo above?

I think Borg used the Pro One in Oversize...
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Borg_1992_a.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Borg_1992_b.jpg

ericsson
01-07-2010, 11:46 PM
I think Borg used the Pro One in Oversize...

VS, Borg never used an oversize, the rackets Borg played in the pictures are the pro one mid and the original pro one international supermidsize (both 95 sq)

http://i50.tinypic.com/20k975v.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/2qdr29w.jpg

jimbo333
01-08-2010, 04:32 AM
^^^^^^Thanks for info:)

ace0001a
01-08-2010, 04:44 AM
I was watching a Tennis Channel Classic replay of Agassi playing against Becker in a 1989 Davis Cup match. Actually, those two looked like they hit the ball pretty hard and in my opinion, still comparable to how hard the ball gets hit today. But it also seemed Agassi hit the ball with alot more topspin earlier in his career than later. It was cool to see the original Yellow/Blue Pro One OS he used and I noticed he used it bumperless. I don't remember if his POG OSes were bumperless, but I do know players back in those days liked going bumperless. I myself did own one of those consumer Yellow/Blue Pro One OS racquets and clearly it was different from the ones he actually used. But I honestly think the consumer ones were what Donnay initially gave Agassi to use, which lead to him rejecting them and where we saw photos of him using a blacked out POG OS with a Donnay stencil on the strings. It's too bad that when Tennis Warehouse brought back the Pro One, that they didn't have some made in the Yellow/Blue paintjob since the Pro One OS Limited Edition mold was never sold to the public in those colors.

ericsson
01-08-2010, 04:52 AM
I was watching a Tennis Channel Classic replay of Agassi playing against Becker in a 1989 Davis Cup match. Actually, those two looked like they hit the ball pretty hard and in my opinion, still comparable to how hard the ball gets hit today. But it also seemed Agassi hit the ball with alot more topspin earlier in his career than later. It was cool to see the original Yellow/Blue Pro One OS he used and I noticed he used it bumperless. I don't remember if his POG OSes were bumperless, but I do know players back in those days liked going bumperless. I myself did own one of those consumer Yellow/Blue Pro One OS racquets and clearly it was different from the ones he actually used. But I honestly think the consumer ones were what Donnay initially gave Agassi to use, which lead to him rejecting them and where we saw photos of him using a blacked out POG OS with a Donnay stencil on the strings. It's too bad that when Tennis Warehouse brought back the Pro One, that they didn't have some made in the Yellow/Blue paintjob since the Pro One OS Limited Edition mold was never sold to the public in those colors.

That is correct, Agassi actually tried the first yellow PO but didnt like some things about it, Donnay tweaked down the frame to Andre's likings and the PO limited was born, used by Andre in yellow and later sold to the public in orange/gray colours...