PDA

View Full Version : That one guy

Jim A
03-29-2009, 10:40 PM
who just has your number when you play, who is it?

I'm 11-2 since coming back to tennis in a variety of club leagues and ladder play @ 3.0 and 3.5.

There's been one guy who just owns me, doesn't push per se but slices and dices. I'm ok when people slice and get ready for the skid/spin but his balls just die when they hit the surface. He stays away from giving me too much. pace but I feel like I have to hit a winner as opposed to rallying and waiting for an opportunity. I know that one day in the near future I'll figure it out and adjust as needed, but I go from a fun hitting session with a 4.0 where I can rally, and then am off the court in under an hour in my match.

RoddickAce
03-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Used to be a big-serving pusher that just had my number. Then there was this big, flat-hitting guy who was also really consistent that was like unbeatable at any area of the court. Haven't faced them recently, but I did start to turn the H2H around with the pusher back then.

origmarm
03-30-2009, 03:03 AM
That guy is my brother, without a doubt.

Just has this ability to always hit the shot I really didn't want to deal with right at that point in time. I guess that's what you get from growing up playing each other every day.

I can frequently beat lots of people that beat him, just can never get close to him though.

brosamj
04-01-2009, 09:51 AM
who just has your number when you play, who is it?

I'm 11-2 since coming back to tennis in a variety of club leagues and ladder play @ 3.0 and 3.5.

There's been one guy who just owns me, doesn't push per se but slices and dices. I'm ok when people slice and get ready for the skid/spin but his balls just die when they hit the surface. He stays away from giving me too much. pace but I feel like I have to hit a winner as opposed to rallying and waiting for an opportunity. I know that one day in the near future I'll figure it out and adjust as needed, but I go from a fun hitting session with a 4.0 where I can rally, and then am off the court in under an hour in my match.

Yep, I have a guy just like that. I have beaten guys that have handled this one guy rather easily, but I can't get by him. He is a very smart player, plays it deep and is not aggressive but very athletic. There are similar players to him that I can handle, but for whatever reason, he is major road block to me. Great guy too so that makes losing a bit easier to swallow than if he was a complete jerk.

chlsmo
04-04-2009, 07:02 PM
I'm a 3.5 player and took my 4.0 friend to three sets last night. Then I go on court today for my league match playing no.2 singles and lose 6-0, 6-3. The guy wasn't bad, and I am not saying I should have won, but it should have at least been more competitive.

I was warmed up well and served okay earlier in my warmup. Then the match started and I couldn't make a first serve no matter what. My second was okay. I DF'd 3 times in the first set and none in the second. But I could not play against his shots. He had decent placement when he wanted to hit angles, but a lot of his shots were short in the court and slow, I kept over hitting and my shots went long, until I got tight and stopped accelerating through my strokes which landed a lot of balls in the net. This was a very frustrating day. The guy's second serve was kinda lame, short and paceless and I think I lost every point on his second serve!

I don't know if I was feeling the pressure or what, I know I didn't feel nervous or anything. Usually in USTA or official matches I tend to rush my play a lot, I did well to manage that but in the end he won, and I couldn't keep the ball in play.

------

On a side note I think I am just afraid to win, I don't know if that even makes sense. It seems like I am never leading in a set and if I get a break I often get broken back. I don't have a competitive sports background so all of these experiences are pretty new for me. I have taken lessons for quite some time and my shots "look" good so when I lose, most of the people I know are surprised, plus I usually lose badly! Match tough is really something that is taking me a long time to conceptualize. Sorry for taking over your thread.

Rickson
04-04-2009, 11:22 PM
At least he's not 13-0 on you.

Jim A
04-05-2009, 08:10 PM
It takes time to develop match toughness, pretty soon you will hate to lose more than you are afraid to win and get that edge

NE14Tennis?
04-07-2009, 12:54 PM
My old hitting partner from the Cape (Cod) used to hit the more UEs than I when were practicing points, while I hit (slightly) more winners. Yet somehow, whenever we played, he'd beat me. I never even took a set off him (although they were often tight). The 16th or 17th time we played, I broke (for the 2nd time in the set - a rarity) to go up 4-1 and was holding serve at 30-15 when he twisted his ankle and conceded the match. I offered to let him continue from 4-1, 30-15 when he was better, but he declined. I felt bad that I was finally (I think) going to win a set and didn't get the chance. I also felt cheated out of a match (or at least a set) I probably would have (finally) won. My revenge: I showed up with a "Nobody Beats Vitas Gerulitis 17 Times" T-shirt the next time we played, and finally legitimately took a set 6-4, he rallied and got me 2-6 in the next, and the 3rd went to a tiebreak, where I killed: 7-1
It was the most satisfying win I've ever had.