PDA

View Full Version : Donald Young. How good can he be?

pc1
03-30-2009, 08:21 AM
I was at a dinner with a number of people several years ago and one person was talking about Donald Young and how great he thought Donald Young was going to be. The guy made Young seem like the best combination of Laver, Borg, Nadal, McEnroe and Federer. I've occasionally checked out his career and frankly he hasn't exactly set the ATP tour on fire.

Now I've only see occasional highlights of this guy playing. How good is he and does he have that much potential? Young is going to be twenty this year. Will he ever be a good player? I don't know that much about him and his playing style.

vandre
03-30-2009, 08:34 AM
k, i'll bite.

i watched dy play james blake in a very close match at the 08 uso (i'm pretty sure) in the first round. blake won in 5. here's some things i noticed:

plays left handed (jmac and nadal comparison)
fairly quick around the court
serve is meh (there are probably worse serves on the men's tour but it is no where near a weapon either!)
seems to have decent hands/ touch at net
meh- forehand- tends to breakdown under pressure
meh backhand- nothing spectacular but that night it seemed like his more stable side
mental game seemed pretty close to blake. this would have been a huge win if he could've made it happen. that seems like common thread in the dy story: when he has a huge chance to break into the pros, he can't cash it in.

Blade0324
03-30-2009, 09:13 AM
THese threads about DY pop up from time to time and I just don't get it. DY is a good player compared to the rest of us but unless he gets away from his family he will never amount to anything on the tour.

edmondsm
03-30-2009, 09:22 AM
For DY, what were once growing pains have now turned into a full on terminal disease. He's headed for a super low point if he doesn't find a way to start winning matches. He lost in the second round of a futures event this year. At a certain point the economics of professional tennis just don't work any more.

Fedace
03-30-2009, 09:27 AM
Donald Young, once he gets a brain transplant, will be top 50 player. He can stay at top 50 consistantly.

pc1
03-30-2009, 09:37 AM
I appreciate all the input guys. Like I wrote, I've only seen some highlights of this guy play and I really didn't get the hype. The person who I spoke to at dinner that one night couldn't praise the guy more.

Blade0324,

I don't get it either. That's why I started this thread so someone can explain it to me. I thought maybe I was missing something.

flyer
03-30-2009, 09:52 AM
donald young hasn't gotten much better at all since he was about 16...

as for how his game stacks up to the rest of the atp its like this, he doesnt have any obvious weaknesses ability wise, but hes has absolutely no strengths/weapons either, hes slightly below average at everything he does and hes brainless...get the ball back deep, he cant hurt you and will eventually beat himself

NotSoSuper
03-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Every time DY takes the court it looks like he comes out with no game plan. He playus every match the same.. So far hes had no big wins, but a couple close losses (blake at US open, and Davydenko in new haven). Hes has no real big weapons but is a solid player all around. At some point in his career id expect him to be top 50, but no greater expectation.

deltox
03-30-2009, 10:48 AM
very average player, needs an attitude adjustment, great court speed and footwork. lacks mental game and has very average weapons for his shot selection. needs to find himself a true coach with experience and focus on the game he is good at for the next 10 years. then he can have all the fun he wants, but hes trying to have the relaxation and fun first it appears.

edmondsm
03-30-2009, 11:27 AM
I appreciate all the input guys. Like I wrote, I've only seen some highlights of this guy play and I really didn't get the hype. The person who I spoke to at dinner that one night couldn't praise the guy more.

Blade0324,

I don't get it either. That's why I started this thread so someone can explain it to me. I thought maybe I was missing something.

Well DY was an outstanding junior. He was the youngest winner of a junior slam ever until a little while ago. I think many thought that he had all the intangibles and it was just a matter of him growing up and gaining some maturity and power. Unfortunately neither of those things happened. His game, both physical and mental, has been stalled for 2-3 years.

alfa164164
03-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Sweet fancy Moses, please - no more.............

nikdom
03-30-2009, 11:48 AM
Sweet fancy Moses, please - no more.............

ROFL.... Quote of the day! :)

Tennisguy777
03-30-2009, 08:40 PM
maybe he just needs to pump some iron!