PDA

View Full Version : Prince O3 Red review by Tennis Mag at odds with Tennis Warehouse Review

calabi12
03-08-2005, 07:27 AM
Tennis Magazine had a short summary of their review of the Prince O3 Red in which they said the racquet is unstable.

The Tennis Warehouse review was rather favorable and none of the testers harped on it being unstable.

Am I missing something?

Can someone from Tennis Warehouse respond?

I know reviews are subjective, but this one seems to be way off.

Jack Romeo
03-08-2005, 08:21 AM
i've noticed that tennis-warehouse playtesters are more or less the same level (4-5.5, although sometimes, there's that 3.0 woman also playtesting). tennis mag usually gets opinions from the whole range of players and playing styles (in other words, 1.0-6.0). maybe the 4-6 level doesn't find the racquet unstable because they are pretty strong with good technique. but there are no 1.0-2.5 reviewers for tennis-warehouse (and maybe there should!). these people may have noted the racquet to be unstable because of their less-developed technique. all this is just my speculation...

TheRed
03-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Logically, I would think upper level players who generally use heavier racquets would think the O3 red as unstable, not lower level players. TW's reveiw is pretty spot on. The O3 isn't as stable as my 13 oz MP-1 but it's not bad for a racquet that light. Also, tennis mag's reviews are sh--. Their review of equipment is absolutely useless.

ollinger
03-08-2005, 06:06 PM
With those big oval holes at 3:00 and 9:00 (and elsewhere), Prince is removing weight at precisely the places most of us like to add it. I shouldn't wonder there'd be some instability.
________
Musclestone (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/musclestone)

gregraven
03-08-2005, 06:18 PM
With those big oval holes at 3:00 and 9:00 (and elsewhere), Prince is removing weight at precisely the places most of us like to add it. I shouldn't wonder there'd be some instability.

According to Steve Davis at Prince, the O3 series racquets have the same amount of material as a "normal" racquet. Most modern racquets are hollow tubes, so it appears that Prince has simply rearranged the location of the materials in the O3 racquets, not eliminated materials. Therefore, there is no reduction in mass at the 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock, or 9 o'clock positions on the Prince O3s.

Richie Rich
03-08-2005, 07:17 PM
A friend of mine just demoed the O3 red and his thoughts were same as the tw review, especially balls hit near the frame - little vibration and lots of power - where if these same balls were hit on a traditional racquet the shots would just die or dribble over the net.

I think tennis mag reviews are sh$te anyway. Editors choice to Prince db Control and Prince Scream? Babolat PD control due to woofers? Whatever these guys are smoking let me have some. Oh ya, they couldn't possibly get significant advertidsing $$ from the big racquet companies could they?

louis netman
03-08-2005, 08:20 PM
When reading Tennis Magazine's reviews, always remember that they derive the majority of their revenue from companies who advertise on their pages, not magazine sales... TW's reviews are great, however they have to be perceived as fairly positive too. Afterall, they need to sell rackets to stay in business.

It's actually quite noble of them and a privilege for us to be able to post our sentiments in this forum. IMHO, the reviews on these boards are the most unbiased source of info... But, I wished it was mandatory for posters who comment to have a "skill level" and or "style of play" listed. That way, the reader can get a better perspective and is better able to interpret the presented information.......

ssulzer
03-26-2005, 05:30 AM
Tennis magazine may not be all that wrong in this case. I demoed the O3 Red yesterday, and I must admit that I found it too light for my taste, with instability on volleys and too dampened a feel. It was not as powerful as I expected it to be. The O3 Red reminded me of a head light Triad 5, still too stiff despite all the vibration dampening. This racquet would hurt my elbow and shoulder with continued play. Top-spin ground strokes seemed to be its best feature. My serve went in consistently but with less power than normal. I am a 4.0 doubles player who uses a Mitt Rocker Xtreme with extra weight in the handle to make it about 5 points head light. Total weight around 12 oz. If the O3 Tour is less stiff, I might be able to use it with lead tape added to the head for stability. If it is as stiff as this one, I won't bother to try it.

Steve Sulzer

AndrewD
03-26-2005, 06:04 AM
Hard to tell until you actually have the racquet in your hand and can test it for yourself.

However, having read through quite a lot of the TW reviews I'd have to say they are far more opinionated and a great deal more even-handed than anthing Tennis Magazine has written in the last 10 years (when was Tracey Leonard there?). Have a look at the review on the LM Prestige and see one of the playtesters rip into the frame- I believe he called it 'the worst racquet Ive ever used'. That mightn't sway my own opinion but the seeming willingness to speak your mind, even if it contradicts the other playtesters and even if it isn't favourable to the new product does make me feel a bit more confident in the veracity of their reviews. Tennis Magazine just comes across as an infomercial.

Kirko
03-26-2005, 06:16 AM
agree. I demoed the Pure Drive + and got alot of the same impressions TW's Staff did. They are even and good reviews.

TW Staff
03-26-2005, 06:38 AM
While the O3 Red is not as stable as a leaded up player's racquet, we found it very stable compared to racquets of a similar weight. The fact that our advanced players enjoyed hitting with the O3 Red as much as they did amazed us. Even the players who were skeptical of the O Port technology of the racquet came away impressed by its performance on court.

As to using lower ranked players for our reviews, it is an issue we've tried to address on several occasions. We've taken racquets out to the local clubs and had 2.5 level players hit with them, but the level of feedback was disappointing. Finding a player who can articulate what they experience on the court into a description that is easy to understand in a review format is not that easy, regardless of the level of the player.

The advantage we have with our current crew is that they've all hit with enough racquets to be able to draw from experience of similar racquets no matter whether it is a game improvement or player's racquet being tested. Also, most of our advanced players have worked as teaching pros at some stage and are well in tune with the needs of a beginning player. They don't just head out to the court to hit with their buddies and expect a 9.8 ounce racquet to be stable when returning a 115 mph serve etc. Rather, they adjust to a style of play more appropriate to the style of racquet and then increase the pace of play from their.

If there are any beginning players out there who feel they’d like to have a go at reviewing some racquets for us, send me an email and I’ll get you in on the comparative review program we are now running.

Thanks,
Chris, TW.
discussadmin@tennis-warehouse.com

maruzo
06-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Just got my red 03 midplus from amazon.com and will be testing it out tomorrow. Currently using the hybrid shark and loving it. Needed more damping than the one dampener that came with the racquet, so i tied a rubber band across the bottom string bed. Worked like a charm. The only negative side is the lack of response when I try to slice the ball back. Wondering why that might be.

Using the shark with the prestrung prince string, so I have no idea what the tension might be. But I'm still puzzled why the slice shot isn't working for me. My other shark which I strung with syn gut worked great with the slice. Although the string quickly broke after 2 days of play when I double-dampened the string bed with the original dampener plus the rubber band.

Does anybody know if you're putting more strain on your arm by double-dampening the strings?

ir0-ed
06-13-2009, 10:39 PM
i've noticed that tennis-warehouse playtesters are more or less the same level (4-5.5, although sometimes, there's that 3.0 woman also playtesting). tennis mag usually gets opinions from the whole range of players and playing styles (in other words, 1.0-6.0). maybe the 4-6 level doesn't find the racquet unstable because they are pretty strong with good technique. but there are no 1.0-2.5 reviewers for tennis-warehouse (and maybe there should!). these people may have noted the racquet to be unstable because of their less-developed technique. all this is just my speculation...
most rackets being reviewed on TW are player's stick so it's just appropriate to choose the right playtesters and their ratings. getting a player's racket to be playtested and reviewed by 1.0-2.5 or maybe up to a slower 3.0s would be pointless.

NickH87
06-14-2009, 12:02 AM
I think we just got a demo at my job, I will probably grab it in a few days and see what I think. I play with a 104 so we will see what happens.