PDA

View Full Version : powerade or gatorade

corncob3466
04-03-2004, 07:13 PM
well, which do you prefer? whats your favorite flavor? i like powerade, mountain blast(the blue one)

david aames
04-03-2004, 08:21 PM
will you take fries with that?

BreakPoint
04-03-2004, 11:17 PM
I think Powerade tastes better than Gatorade. Not sure which works better, though.

joebedford
04-04-2004, 07:27 AM
Water-ade. :D

Phil
04-04-2004, 07:32 PM
Powerade is unpottable-some of the nastiest stuff I've ever tasted. Stick with water or Gatorade.

@wright
04-04-2004, 07:40 PM
I usually drink water, but I like the taste of both Gatorade and Powerade, especially the blue flavors.

Japanese Maple
04-05-2004, 04:46 AM
The best deal on a sport drink is at Sam's club where they sell
Gatorade powder mix in lemon/lime flavor-excellent price and far
less expensive than pre-mixed varietys.

Ronaldo
04-05-2004, 08:50 AM
Stick with diluted pickle juice, so satisfying and tart.

@wright
04-05-2004, 09:05 AM
I played a league doubles match where the other guys were drinking Budweiser out of cans. The sad part was they beat us.

Ronaldo
04-05-2004, 09:41 AM
So what is up with that Lemon Barley water used at Wimbledon?

Benjamin
04-05-2004, 10:38 AM
32 ounce Gatorade bottle filled with 1 part ice, 1 part Lime Gatorade, and 1 part water. Just enough Gatorade to add some flavor and sugar but not so much as to make it too sweet to drink a lot at one time.

Benjamin

python
04-06-2004, 06:53 AM
They're both OK. I've had a few of the private label drinks in various parts of the country, and they taste fine, too.

Sports drinks have got to be the biggest rip-off though. Just eat a piece of whole wheat bread spread with some jam and wash it down with water... You'll get almost the same effect, except the sports drinks are quicker to digest.

James Brown
04-06-2004, 11:12 AM
i find powerade tastes better and doesn't leave the powdery aftertaste of gatorade. However when the lemon gatorade is cold, its better than just about anything, it's in a tie with blue powerade for the best sports drink flavors. I think it's important to have both a sports drink and water. I down the sports drink and wash the taste away with water. keeps me hydrated and gives me energy.

@wright
04-06-2004, 11:27 AM
I had some purple kind of Gatorade last night( I guess more violet than purple), and it was great tasting. Probably blueberry flavored somewhat.

corncob3466
04-06-2004, 06:38 PM
yeah, the strawberry gatorade is good. it tastes like the little cheap strawberry candies whose wrapper look like a strawberry. ya know, the ones they throw at christmas parades in multitudes.

Frodo Baggins
04-06-2004, 07:51 PM
Hmm:Yum yum powerade not bad,not bad at all.... I'm drinking some of this powerade right now berry punch I like it very yummy.. BUT If I was playing a tennis tournament Give me a Jolt an I'll do fine :lol: GOTTA HAVE MY JOLT... :D

VTL
04-09-2004, 10:27 AM
powerade

PHSTennis
04-09-2004, 08:44 PM
Water... Coach brings propel but... water I play varsity singles.. I drink about nearly 3 liters of water... per match. (3 sets)

Rocky Top
04-12-2004, 01:16 PM
Water. Powerade is awful, but Gatorade is a moral issue. Developed for UF athletes - I could never drink something designed with such a foul purpose in mind..

corncob3466
04-12-2004, 06:20 PM
i agree with the gatorade statement rocky. im a die hard LSU fan, and i cant bring myself to drink gatorade

ismashall
04-23-2004, 01:14 AM
VitaminWater (SmartWater) is pretty nasty when not working out. Has anyone tried it?

ProStaffTour90
04-23-2004, 02:10 AM
Water... Coach brings propel but... water I play varsity singles.. I drink about nearly 3 liters of water... per match. (3 sets)

:shock: What's with... all the full... stops

ismashall
04-23-2004, 09:53 AM
Maybe he's taking sips of... water... in between... every few....... words.

perfmode
04-23-2004, 11:02 AM

widebody 13
04-24-2004, 05:32 PM
Powerade tastes awful. Gatorade tastes better but has a salt aftertaste. The best ade is Kool-Aid (tropical punch).

Ofcourse there's always diet Moxie . . .

equinox
07-17-2009, 08:51 AM
Powerade tastes awful. Gatorade tastes better but has a salt aftertaste. The best ade is Kool-Aid (tropical punch).

Ofcourse there's always diet Moxie . . .

Both power drinks make me throw up.
Simple pure bottled spring water, banana, ibuprofen works well for me.

SlapShot
07-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Cytomax if you're serious about a "sports drink." Gatorade/Powerade are sugar loaded (and both now have HFCS....yuck).

maximo
07-17-2009, 08:57 AM
What about Lucozade?

mtommer
07-17-2009, 09:09 AM
For century rides I'll usually go with H.E.E.D and Perpetuem from Hammer Nutrition. On the court though I use my own blend of Kool-Aid, some sugar, salt, potassium and magnesium. It's so much cheaper and I can control the amount of sugar as well as adding more electrolytes that I need than is found in retail energy drinks.

charliefedererer
07-17-2009, 10:23 AM
If anyone's interested in comparing the nutrient/electrolyt content of Gatorade, Powerade and many other sports drinks, here's a link: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/4877054/Gatorade-Ingredients-per-oz-What-to-look-for-in
Powerade has about 25% more calories (corn syrup) than Gatorade and about half the sodium. The only problem with that is that drinking straight Gatorade or Powerade in large quanties during an intense workout can cause intestinal cramping. I usually dilute my Gatorade up to 50% with water depending on the workout and the temperature. The problem with Powerade then, is that you may not be getting enough sodium. Use of G2 (which has half the calories of Gatorade) would be another option.

This is from the Gatorade web site regarding its use of high fructose corn syrup:
"Does Gatorade include High Fructose Corn Syrup? Why or Why not?
The High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) is in Gatorade as a source of two of the three carbohydrates. HFCS contributes glucose and fructose. Sucrose is the third sugar. All are present in specific amounts that research has shown assures rapid fluid absorption, optimal energy delivery and great taste. High Fructose Corn Syrup and sucrose provide the ideal level of sweetness, fast absorption, and carbohydrate for energy burning that Gatorade has always delivered.

This formula provides the most efficacious product for the cost to the consumer. We could use other sources of the same sugars – glucose and fructose – but it would cost dramatically more and have no additional benefit. Scientific experts believe there is no scientific proof to show that there is any difference between the effects on the body of HFCS and sucrose. Research shows that your body digests and uses carbohydrates from high fructose corn syrup the same way it digests other sweeteners like table sugar.1
1 American Medical Association. Report 3 of the Council on Science and Public Health, 2008."
http://www.gatorade.com/frequently_asked_questions/

Believe it or not, I think the intestinal tract easily breaks down the high fructose corn syrup into readily absorbable glucose and fructose just like they claim.

For those that want to save the world from being overcome with plastic water and sports drink bottles: At least Gatorade comes in a powdered form that you mix with water, and can bring in your own reusable insulated container.

SempreSami
07-17-2009, 10:25 AM
http://www.aquaamore.com/images/products/01122.jpg

charliefedererer
07-17-2009, 10:29 AM
If anyone's interested in comparing the nutrient/electrolyt content of Gatorade, Powerade and many other sports drinks, here's a link: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/4877054/Gatorade-Ingredients-per-oz-What-to-look-for-in
Powerade has about 25% more calories (corn syrup) than Gatorade and about half the sodium. The only problem with that is that drinking straight Gatorade or Powerade in large quanties during an intense workout can cause intestinal cramping. I usually dilute my Gatorade up to 50% with water depending on the workout and the temperature. The problem with Powerade then, is that you may not be getting enough sodium. Use of G2 (which has half the calories of Gatorade) would be another option.

This is from the Gatorade web site regarding its use of high fructose corn syrup:
"Does Gatorade include High Fructose Corn Syrup? Why or Why not?
The High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) is in Gatorade as a source of two of the three carbohydrates. HFCS contributes glucose and fructose. Sucrose is the third sugar. All are present in specific amounts that research has shown assures rapid fluid absorption, optimal energy delivery and great taste. High Fructose Corn Syrup and sucrose provide the ideal level of sweetness, fast absorption, and carbohydrate for energy burning that Gatorade has always delivered.

This formula provides the most efficacious product for the cost to the consumer. We could use other sources of the same sugars glucose and fructose but it would cost dramatically more and have no additional benefit. Scientific experts believe there is no scientific proof to show that there is any difference between the effects on the body of HFCS and sucrose. Research shows that your body digests and uses carbohydrates from high fructose corn syrup the same way it digests other sweeteners like table sugar.1
1 American Medical Association. Report 3 of the Council on Science and Public Health, 2008."
http://www.gatorade.com/frequently_asked_questions/

Believe it or not, I think the intestinal tract easily breaks down the high fructose corn syrup into readily absorbable glucose and fructose just like they claim.

SempreSami
07-17-2009, 10:32 AM

Eh? They just use Evian.

CHOcobo
07-17-2009, 10:56 AM
both are good but water is best for you.

but i do like arctic shatter from powerADE and strawberry-kiwi from gatorADE rain.

Commando Tennis Shorts
07-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Yes, I have been contemplating this for about a decade, and have thus had the time to think about it. It is Gatorade over Powerade, and here is why---I came up with this explanation years ago:

Now, at first it may seem like comparing apples and oranges, and, well, it is, but it's a doable comparison. I love both drinks, but Powerade is definitely more flavorful, less watery. Gatorade tastes a few notches above flavored water (in the flavor department), in my opinion, whereas Powerade isn't even on the list b/c it doesn't taste watery at all.

Now Powerade is fine if you're just looking for something to drink on a regular day, but when you think about these drinks, you think about hydration---Which one is more hydrating? Without a doubt, Gatorade.

The watery taste of Gatorade is the perfect complement to the flavor and mixes well to quench your thirst, whereas I'd compare Powerade to the thirst-quenchage of something syrupy, like a refreshing soda, which will never be as refreshing as water when you're thirsty, especially when the water is mixed together in a concoction of water and flavor, a.k.a. GATORADE.

Therefore, Gatorade wins.

You're welcome.

AlphaCDjkr
07-17-2009, 11:33 AM
I used to like both until I realized just how thick both.. were. I disliked Propel because it gave me a gross aftertaste, and in the end I just drink water haha.

But honestly out of those two, I'd pick Powerade.

Oh wait, scratch that. What's it called again?

http://www.gtothev.com/blog/gatorade.jpg

I used to like this, haha.

SystemicAnomaly
07-17-2009, 01:24 PM
http://www.bevnet.com/images/reviews/amybrian_coconut_juice/coconutwithlime.jpg

NickC
07-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Fruit Punch Gatorade FTW.

OroDeSantoro
07-22-2009, 06:58 AM
i agree with the gatorade statement rocky. im a die hard LSU fan, and i cant bring myself to drink gatorade

You haven't tried tigerade?

Fedace
07-22-2009, 07:07 AM
Plain Powerade is better than plain Gatorade, more energy will be had with Powerade. but if you add more protein powder, Gatorade will be better.

Fedace
07-22-2009, 07:07 AM
http://www.bevnet.com/images/reviews/amybrian_coconut_juice/coconutwithlime.jpg

You will have to run to bathroom with Diarrhea and have to default the match.

Blade0324
07-22-2009, 07:13 AM
If I do a sports drink it's either Cytomax or Gatorade G2 lemon/lime. I'm not a huge fan of Gatorade in general and Powerade I feel like I might as well be drinking a soda. I much prefer the power bar gel packs to most any drink other than water. I have a gallon insulated thermos that goes with me every time I play. On most instances I can drink about 3/4 of that during the match and then finish it afterwords.

jonnythan
07-22-2009, 07:21 AM
1/2 to 2/3 strength lemon-lime Gatorade.

smack that
07-22-2009, 11:35 AM
nitris oxide

game set match 46 TIMES!!
07-22-2009, 12:14 PM
I usually drink water, but I like the taste of both Gatorade and Powerade, especially the blue flavors.
Same wit me. Not sure which one i drink more though. AND! Prupel or w/e its called i forget.

babolatchaznike
07-22-2009, 07:23 PM
waterade 10 char

SystemicAnomaly
07-22-2009, 08:12 PM
nitris oxide

I bet you mean nitrous oxide (N2O, aka laughing gas) rather than nitric oxide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitric_oxide) (NO). Note that the latter, NO, is useful in exercise as well.

scraps234
07-22-2009, 08:23 PM
depends on the flavor....

YULitle
07-22-2009, 08:27 PM
They're both alright. I'll take blue or red in either.

The worst is Accelerade. I've only had the red flavor, and it tasted like what I would imagine blood tastes like...

quest01
07-22-2009, 08:31 PM
Doesn't matter to me.

mtommer
07-22-2009, 09:49 PM
I bet you mean nitrous oxide (N2O, aka laughing gas) rather than nitric oxide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitric_oxide) (NO). Note that the latter, NO, is useful in exercise as well.

Maybe he meant NOS the energy drink? http://www.twowheelforum.com/images/smilies/dunno.gif

diredesire
07-22-2009, 10:31 PM
I highly prefer powerade over gatorade, but powerade makes you pee like no other.

I like the blue, green, white powerade flavors. White is excellent, but only for the first taste. Blue is very tasty, and green tastes somewhat like an otter-pop, but thawed, and diluted.

I like Gatorade, dont' get me wrong, but I feel nastier when I drink it. Powerade doesn't leave a weird feeling/tasting aftertaste.

I like the dk blue/lt blue/purple assortment of gatorade from costco, though.

fed_the_savior
07-22-2009, 10:42 PM
I tried Powerade with an open mind and no preconceived bias, but I just like the way Gatorade tastes. There both a little too sweet, though.

federer_15
07-22-2009, 10:54 PM
I like them both. If i had to say which one I liked better I would say gatorade.

I like the powerade mountain blast but I love the blue and red flavors of Gatorade. I think the red gatorade is tropica

subaru3169
07-23-2009, 09:45 AM
they all taste like ***, but they serve their purpose

i usually get gatorade from costco though