PDA

View Full Version : UC San Diego

roddick_rulz
03-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Hey guys,
I'm a 4.5 Junior interested in playing at UC San Diego Div II.
What does it take to play here?

baseline08thrasher
03-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Well trusting the fact that you are really a 4.5.

All that matters is how much work you are willing to do, tournaments, and how old you are.

I think you have a good shot.

I watched Stanford play USC on Saturday and it was amazing.

roddick_rulz
03-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Yes I actually am a 4.5, I'm not one of those people that boosts or anything.
I want this to actually be beneficial to me.
But thanks for the great news.
What's the best way for me to get UC San Diego to notice me?

get it in
03-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Hey guys,
I'm a 4.5 Junior interested in playing at UC San Diego Div II.
What does it take to play here?

You will first have to be admitted to the school, not an easy task considering this is an academic powerhouse and not an athletic school. All things considered, the guys here are pretty good. A 4.5 player might make it if they are willing to work hard. I have watched a few matches and they are pretty competitive. Talk to Coach Eric if you're interested. He will probably fill you in on all the details. It's a beautiful campus but remember to come here for the education and not the athletics. There's no football team or really much school spirit. Unless you're a really strong player, I suggest you pick the school you want to go to and then decide to try out for a team.
If you have any questions about UCSD, let me know. I went there.

roddick_rulz
03-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Yeah, this is a school that I really want to go to.
There isn't much reason to go there if it weren't for the academics as I hear it's a great school.
What are my chances of getting some sort of partial scholarship?
(Take into account that I still have one more year to improve)
I'm not so sure that I'd get admitted based on my academics alone so I was hoping for tennis to help me out.

Joeyg
03-30-2009, 02:50 PM
Division II schools have 4 1/2 scholarships available for tennis. If you are a 4.5 player and want to attend UCSD, I would look to an academic scholarship rather than an athletic one.

Unfortunately, you are probably not good enough to warrant any type of athletic aid. UCSD is a tough school to get into at best. Your best shot would be to try and get in and then walk on.

roddick_rulz
03-30-2009, 03:00 PM
Well I'm probably not intelligent enough to get an academic scholarship to that school, not to say that I'm dumb or anything just not as smart as many of the kids at that school. I know the school is very good academically and is why I'd like to go there.
Would you suggest emailing the coach?

get it in
03-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Yeah, this is a school that I really want to go to.
There isn't much reason to go there if it weren't for the academics as I hear it's a great school.
What are my chances of getting some sort of partial scholarship?
(Take into account that I still have one more year to improve)
I'm not so sure that I'd get admitted based on my academics alone so I was hoping for tennis to help me out.

I think you also posted once about attending IMG. That should help your game out as well.
As far as partial scholarships, I would again advise you to talk to Coach Eric Steidlmayer regarding your chances. Here's a link to his page with phone, email, etc: http://www.ucsdtritons.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=29966&SPID=2345&DB_OEM_ID=5800&ATCLID=186661&Q_SEASON=2008
He would know the scholarship status of all the players. It's a pretty young team with lots of fr/so players. Scholarship opportunities might be slim. I think the biggest scholarship is something like $500/quarter so don't count on it funding your entire education.
The problem with UCSD is that it is an NCAA div ii school which means you don't get a big break in admissions for being an athlete. The vast majority of what determines whether you get in or not will be the following: GPA and scores on SAT I/II. This will probably be 80% of the decision. At most, 10% of the decision will be things like athletics, family history, etc. Historical evidence shows that grades and test scores are more predictive of success than anything else so they tend to go with what works.

NOTE: I speak with regards to UCSD only. I don't have experience with other schools.

My advice to you is to study hard and get good grades. Play tennis too but be realistic about your future expections. Also consider that you have to maintain a certain GPA to say in school. More than 2 quarters of below 2.0 GPA will get you kicked out of school so it's important to maintain your study skills if you get in.

Joeyg
03-30-2009, 03:08 PM
It never hurts to have a dialogue with a coach. I know, I am one. Sound him out and see what he says. After that, I would get a video of yourself playing in case he would like to see you in action.

Good Luck.

get it in
03-30-2009, 03:10 PM
Don't worry about getting an academic scholarship. I didn't have one. As long as you can get into the school, you're good.
Remember, GPA and test scores factor in heavily for admissions. An SAT prep course could make the difference if you need help getting in. GPA is by far the biggest factor in determining admission. Trust me, I worked with someone on the admissions committee. This is what they do.

get it in
03-30-2009, 03:11 PM
I agree with Joeyg. Talk to the coach. Get a dialog going. I don't think he can get you into the school, but he can give you pointers on making the team.

get it in
03-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Also, take a look at the roster for UCSD men's tennis:

http://www.ucsdtritons.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5800&KEY=&SPID=2345&SPSID=29969

Some of these guys are pretty good...top 50 in socal is nothing to sneeze at. There are a lot of competitive players here in san diego.

If academics are concern, how about I throw this bone: you can use the jr. college transfer guarantee to your advantage. Go to a jc (which is far easier to get good grades than UCSD) and study hard. Get good grades there and transfer using the guarantee system. Save yourself 2 years of UCSD tuition and transfer in. Unfortunately, you'll lose 2 years but that's another option to consider.

roddick_rulz
03-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Thanks for all this info.
Yes, I do train at IMG but fairly infrequently.
I will definitely get in contact with coach and.I'll see what he says.
What's the transfer gurantee?

get it in
03-30-2009, 03:55 PM
What's the transfer gurantee?

I don't have the space to explain, but this link will give you a start:

http://uctransfer.universityofcalifornia.edu/pdf/path_overview_final.pdf

Basically, you complete the minimum requirements at a junior college and hold a minimum GPA (something like a 3.0) to guarantee yourself a space at any UC campus. You may not get the major you want but it depends mostly on space and demand.

This is a good route if you mostly want to get into a school and don't necessarily want the 4 years of athletics experience. I know plenty of people who went this route and saved money by not paying $8000 a year the first two years (housing and food not included).

get it in
03-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Oh yeah. This is assuming you live in California. Otherwise all bets are off.

BravoRed691
03-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Hey! Im assuming "Get it In." Has some experience with the UC system! lol

I also have some experience with it and the thing about UCSD is that it's a pretty good school and not all that easy to get into...although it is easier as a transfer! Each of the schools do hold a certain number of spots for transfers...there is no magic number and that number is kinda hush hush :-)

Get it in go it right when he said you have to meet a min GPA requirement. The thing is, that DOES NOT mean automatic admission to ANY UC u want. They will try and place you in the system, so you might get like UC merced or UC Riverside (assuming you applied to these school of course). The upper echelon of the UC schools are still looking to weed out the "average smart" students. Again, if you transfer it will be a bit easier cause you wont be competing directly with freshmen.

As for tennis, Yea UCSD is a Div "powerhouse." And b/c they are a DII don't expect to pay your way thru school with it. Chances are you'll have to try and walk on was well. But more power to ya!

When i applied to the UC system, we had the Freshman guarantee as well...but that, like the transfer guarantee applies to the system as a whole and not nec the specific school you want. There is still a difference between getting into Berkeley and into Merced.

Br

roddick_rulz
03-30-2009, 05:14 PM
Ok well this news was both pleasing and not pleasing as the whole transfer guarantee sounded like such a great idea until I heard that you can't choose the specific UC u want to go to but it's still an option.
On the other hand, I'm NOT from California as I'm from Canada and would not have heard this information from others so I thank you guys. But I heard from my cousin who does live in California that I could claim in-state residence...or something of that nature. So would the transfer guarantee still apply?
And lastly, what's an example of a junior college as I'm not familiar with the whole system.

jaggy
03-30-2009, 06:39 PM
If your GPA in a Cal community college is good enough (and this isnt that tough to do) you will get into UCSD but maybe not into the major you want. Choose a juco with a good tennis program, I am 10 years out of Cali but Grossmont in East San Diego County used to be strong and there are others. Talk to the juco advisors who know everything about transferring and will help you, jucos want you to get into good 4 year schools. And if you're not a Cal resident Id suggest you move there and after one year you will get residency as long as you are not in college for that year.

jaggy
03-30-2009, 06:43 PM
I just read your last message, google California community colleges for options but basically you do your first 2 years at the juco then transfer. Your diploma will not mention that you did your first 2 years outside of where you finish. I went to SanDiego City College then San Diego State, I was accepted into UCSD as a transfer student but lived so close to SDSU I had to go there as we had car issues.

roddick_rulz
03-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Oh yeah. This is assuming you live in California. Otherwise all bets are off.

So just to clarify,
I live in Canada and my cousin said I can claim in-state residence using their cali adress.
Am I still qualified for this whole transfer deal?

ClarkC
03-30-2009, 07:24 PM
This answer (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=3193805&postcount=6) should be a sticky.

pro_staff
03-30-2009, 07:30 PM
I know two guys playing on the UCSD team right now. They are definitely beyond 4.5 level. Like others said, your best chance would be to get into the school and try to walk on.

get it in
03-31-2009, 10:02 AM
So just to clarify,
I live in Canada and my cousin said I can claim in-state residence using their cali adress.

This answer (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=3193805&postcount=6) should be a sticky.

ClarkC: Good post. Throw the NTRP ratings out the window. It's a basic gauge but the coach will be able to tell you after a tryout whether or not you're good enough.

R_Rulez: Since you're not from California, you will have to live in California for at least one year to establish residency. If you are a Canadian citizen there might be immigrations issues to look into as well. I'm not sure about that because rules are different with students than working folks like myself.

Basically, you cannot just 'use' your relative's address. You have to prove you have lived in California for a year to establish residency. That means you need to be able to show you enrolled in school or you worked here in California; otherwise schools have no clue whether you were really here or not.

As a 'foreign' student you will have additional barriers to entry because the University of California has a cap on the number of out of state students they can accept. For example, I pay taxes in California so I should get a break for admission to the schools in state. Makes sense, right? This also applies for out of state US citizens but the rules are slightly different.

If you really have your heart set on attending UCSD, don't despair! You can still try. Without stellar grades, you might have to take the advice of others and go to a junior college (also known as JUCO or CC) first. A junior college is a 2 year school that prepares you for finishing up at a 4 year university like UCSD. You take introductory courses that will be used for more advanced study the following 2 years after. You will have to pay out of state tuition rates, but it's still cheaper than UCSD. After 1 year you will have residency and after 2 years you can transfer. Junior colleges also have tennis teams that you can play for so you have options.

The big question is whether or not you are willing to leave your family and take a leap of faith by coming to San Diego (or anywhere in California) and studying hard for 2 years so you can transfer in. It's kind of a big step and something you should talk about with your family. It is a beautiful campus and the academics are top notch. Most classes are very competitive which means just about everyone wants an 'A' and they're willing to eat your alive to get it. The good news it that you'll get a world class education even if you don't make the tennis team and that's what important in the end anyways.

Like I said in another thread, it's better to get a good paying job and play tennis on the side rather than make tennis your life, unless of course you are a world class athlete...then you don't need my advice.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Cheers.

sureshs
03-31-2009, 10:17 AM
So just to clarify,

Don't you have to have lived in-state for 90 days minimum or something?

UCSD is a great school, and La Jolla is a great (and expensive) place. San Diego is unmatched for weather and there is also a great recreational tennis scene.

get it in
03-31-2009, 10:44 AM
Don't you have to have lived in-state for 90 days minimum or something?

UCSD is a great school, and La Jolla is a great (and expensive) place. San Diego is unmatched for weather and there is also a great recreational tennis scene.

^^^ at least one year. Schools do check and their funding is dependent on the number of residences who attend so there's a lot of incentive to do so.

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
03-31-2009, 10:46 AM
It's the Golden state, with the "Golden rule" You got gold? You rule.

As far as using someone else's addresses and such... You are not the first to think of this possibility- And just like Homicide cops, the school administrations... you aren't going to beat them... They do this for a living, and they see RED FLAGS everywhere.

I would sincerely suggest if your priorities include playing tennis for a school, and to live in San Diego you look at USD- NOT the state public schools.
San Diego may still be heaven on earth (if you have a lot of money insulating you) I had an Aunt that lived across from Dick VanDy*e in Coronado... Nothing like Bloody Marys at the Hotel, as I recall.

get it in
03-31-2009, 10:51 AM
That's a good point. USD doesn't care about residency since it's a private university. It is, however, <VERY> expensive. I think tuition is close to $30000 US dollars per year. The campus is really nice, though. It's on top of a hill overlooking San Diego.

Fedace
03-31-2009, 10:56 AM
UCSD has the hottest girls in the country. though they are a bit stuck up.

sureshs
03-31-2009, 11:00 AM
Also depends on whether you are a US or Canadian citizen. If you are considered a foreign student, you cannot avail in-state fees, need to get an I20, and probably pay more than even out of state students.

get it in
03-31-2009, 11:01 AM
UCSD has the hottest girls in the country. though they are a bit stuck up.

You haven't been to San Diego State, have you? Or USD for that matter.

get it in
03-31-2009, 11:02 AM
Oh wait. Fedace was joking. My bad.

sureshs
03-31-2009, 11:15 AM
There is also SDSU - sort of a poor cousin to UCSD. Don't know about the tennis scene there though.

get it in
03-31-2009, 11:19 AM
There is also SDSU - sort of a poor cousin to UCSD. Don't know about the tennis scene there though.

Academically, yes it is a poor cousin to UCSD. The tennis is more competitive at SDSU because it's a Division I school. They grant full scholarships, though. UCSD does not. I don't think the campus is as nice (I went there for grad school).

I think we pretty much covered the 3 major universities in San Diego. How about that.

sureshs
03-31-2009, 12:16 PM
There are also small private liberal arts colleges around

Nellie
03-31-2009, 12:18 PM
You cannot be "in-state" in California using your cousin's address. When you apply and you did not graduate in state and your parents file tax returns in Cal., you will set off red flags. You will need to be indepedent and file in state taxes for the last year. Plus, you will need to do this before you are in school and cannot leave the state for extended periods while in school (and yes, they do ask you for proof of rent payments, utilities bills, etc.). As an out of country student, you are not eligible for financial aide and cannot work on a student visa. If money is an issue, you can work in state for a year and then reapply. Admissions are tough, and if you can get into this school, you likely can have your pick of schools. I would expect grades and test scores to be in the top 10% to be competitive. And you are likely not good enough to be a tennis player on the team. As a 4.5without additional credential (tournement wins, ranking, etc.) there is simply too many better players for a small team. You may want to condsider a Div 3 school.

goober
03-31-2009, 12:31 PM
Good luck trying to get in as a foreign student at UCSD. You are much better off trying to get into a private college which does not have residency restrictions. One of my tennis buddies daughters applied there as an out of state just this year. She was in the top 5% of her class. I am not sure what her SATs were but she was a National merit semifinalist on the PSAT. She was not accepted- but she did get accepted at a bunch of other schools though.

People who just say "oh just get an academic scholarship" don't realize how hard these are to get at the UC schools. The people who get regent scholarships are good enough to go to any school in the country. The represent the top 1% of those applying.

sureshs
03-31-2009, 12:40 PM
There seems to be a place called San Diego Mesa College with a tennis team

goober
03-31-2009, 12:53 PM

junior college- but it actually may be a consideration for the OP. He might be able to transfer after 2 years.

mutantducky
03-31-2009, 12:53 PM
I went to UCSD and at the time I'd say I was a 4.0 player but now I'm nearing 5.0. I think you would have to be a 5.0 to have a shot. I knew a solid 4.5 player who got beat easily by a couple of players there. Ask the coach though and maybe get some matches in. They have 5.5 and maybe 6.0 players on the team.

Congrats on going to UCSD--- try to get to the beaches sometime and shop at Trader Joes. and maybe look at joining a club or two
wear sunscreen:)

mutantducky
03-31-2009, 12:55 PM
"UCSD has the hottest girls in the country. though they are a bit stuck up."

NO, not the hottest by a long shot but some good ones---lol. Oh man that is funny.

get it in
03-31-2009, 01:00 PM

Goober is right. A private college might be a better option. It's really difficult to get into UCSD on your own merit. BTW, a Regent's scholarship is given out by the university based on your test scores and grades. A typical Regents scholar has all A's- maybe 1 B and an SAT I score of 1400 (verbal and math only).

--> San Diego Mesa College is a public junior college. So is Miramar, City, Southwestern, Palomar, and Grossmont. The only private schools I can think of are Alliant and University of San Diego. Can anyone help me out here?

Having said that, don't let anyone dissuade you from trying. As a parent, I would tell you to explore your options and talk with your parents. They might have some other ideas.

sureshs
03-31-2009, 01:02 PM
^^^ don't forget University of Phoenix and National University LOL - you might be able to play tennis online without setting foot on campus

get it in
03-31-2009, 01:05 PM
LOL! Nice. I won't even go down that road...

goober
03-31-2009, 01:19 PM
"UCSD has the hottest girls in the country. though they are a bit stuck up."

NO, not the hottest by a long shot but some good ones---lol. Oh man that is funny.

yeah Fedace is wrong on both counts. Not only are they not the hottest, I would not classify them as stuck up. Most are pretty serious students. If you want stuck up in San Diego USD probably comes the closest, but it is not like USC.

goober
03-31-2009, 01:20 PM
^^^ don't forget University of Phoenix and National University LOL - you might be able to play tennis online without setting foot on campus

haha- that's a good one. You can play for their virtual tennis team. Topspin 3 anyone?:)

roddick_rulz
03-31-2009, 01:21 PM
Goober is right. A private college might be a better option. It's really difficult to get into UCSD on your own merit. BTW, a Regent's scholarship is given out by the university based on your test scores and grades. A typical Regents scholar has all A's- maybe 1 B and an SAT I score of 1400 (verbal and math only).

--> San Diego Mesa College is a public junior college. So is Miramar, City, Southwestern, Palomar, and Grossmont. The only private schools I can think of are Alliant and University of San Diego. Can anyone help me out here?

Having said that, don't let anyone dissuade you from trying. As a parent, I would tell you to explore your options and talk with your parents. They might have some other ideas.

Why is it easier for a person coming from out of state to get into a private college as appose to public?
Does USC have the transfer guarantee?

get it in
03-31-2009, 01:41 PM
Why is it easier for a person coming from out of state to get into a private college as appose to public?

Public universities by nature have to give preference to their residents. They're the ones who pay the taxes. Private schools don't have those restrictions since they are privately funded.

USC is the University of Southern California, a big name private school located in Los Angeles. Being a private school, they don't do transfer guarantees. Also, you would have to be a top top top top top player to be on that team. Let's just say they recruited Sam Querrey but he turned them down to go professional.

goober
03-31-2009, 01:44 PM

Public school limit the number of spots for out of state residents. It varies by school but typically this is limited to 1-10% of the school in California. So you are competing with a large number of students for a very small part of the admissions pie compared to the in state students. Just to give you an indication of how many people apply to UC schools, UCLA had over 55,000 applicants last year for their undergrad.

sureshs
03-31-2009, 01:59 PM
In private schools, you can be a dud and get in, if you are rich, your father is a diplomat, your family is an alumns and big donor, or your last name is Bush or Clinton

GeoffB
03-31-2009, 02:56 PM
I went to UCSD a while back, when it was D3. My younger brother played on the team. I was around 4.0 level, and there was no way I'd have been able to get onto the team. I played a tournament just to check it out and lost 6-0, 6-0 (though it was to a fairly strong player on the team).

As a 4.5, you're probably looking to walk onto a team. Clearly, a 4.5 can play college tennis, but you probably aren't going to be recruited onto a school with a generous tennis scholarship.

UCSD is one of those schools where you can "walk on", but you're talking about a university in Southern California with around 20,000 undergraduates. So even if you aren't competing for a spot on a D1 team where the players are specifically recruited with full scholarships, you're looking at a tough climb. I'd say that's the case for all UC's (UC Santa Cruz, for instance, is D3, but sheer size of the student body combined with a norcal location means they get a good draw despite the absence of scholarships).

If it's really important to play tennis in college, you'd probably be better off looking for smaller universities where the competition for walk-on is less daunting. I've played with former college players at the 4.0 level, so clearly a 4.5 can get a spot, you just have to be careful about where you play.

By the way, a lot of community colleges do have teams - maybe that (followed by a transfer) would be the way to go... at least then you'd have a better sense of your chances.

Fedace
03-31-2009, 03:05 PM
You haven't been to San Diego State, have you? Or USD for that matter.

Yes, i do agree that san diego state also has some really hot chicks...:)

roddick_rulz
03-31-2009, 05:25 PM
Public universities by nature have to give preference to their residents. They're the ones who pay the taxes. Private schools don't have those restrictions since they are privately funded.

USC is the University of Southern California, a big name private school located in Los Angeles. Being a private school, they don't do transfer guarantees. Also, you would have to be a top top top top top player to be on that team. Let's just say they recruited Sam Querrey but he turned them down to go professional.

I've pretty much scrapped my idea of playing college tennis as I'm just trying to focus on getting into a good school. For that matter, how easy or difficult is it to get into USC? I don't really understand how if you have a lot of money then it's easier to get into a private institution.

Joeyg
03-31-2009, 05:32 PM
San Diego state has really hot chicks? Are they smelly and blonde? Do they like guys that like to wear women's undies? Do they like guys with "massive topspin"?

Just wondering if our boy has a chance.

jaggy
04-01-2009, 06:54 AM
Point Loma Nazerene is another private school in San Diego with an amazingly beautiful campus with ocean views.

Having lived out there UCSD and SDSU girls have the same hotness, just the SDSU girls tend to be a bit ditzier.

kctennis1005
04-01-2009, 07:12 AM
Point Loma Nazerene is another private school in San Diego with an amazingly beautiful campus with ocean views.

Having lived out there UCSD and SDSU girls have the same hotness, just the SDSU girls tend to be a bit ditzier.

haha not at all.....ucsd girls are known to be mostly asian, nerdy, and not good looking. sdsu girls are known to be some of the hottest in the country....theyre not even in the same category

goober
04-01-2009, 07:16 AM
I've pretty much scrapped my idea of playing college tennis as I'm just trying to focus on getting into a good school. For that matter, how easy or difficult is it to get into USC? I don't really understand how if you have a lot of money then it's easier to get into a private institution.

The problem is that if you are middle class and don't get financial aid, many people cannot afford to go to a private college. With tuitions hovering around $25-30,000 at many private colleges many of the public school applicants choose not to go there or even bother applying. So your competition is less. Obviously this does not apply to very well known private schools. If you have the money your options are much wider.

roddick_rulz
04-01-2009, 07:21 AM
The problem is that if you are middle class and don't get financial aid, many people cannot afford to go to a private college. With tuitions hovering around $25-30,000 at many private colleges many of the public school applicants choose not to go there or even bother applying. So your competition is less. Obviously this does not apply to very well known private schools. If you have the money your options are much wider.

Oh I see.
Is USC a hard school to get into?

tacoben
04-01-2009, 07:46 AM
As for a Junior College, check out the attached link:

http://www.collegeofthedesert.edu/visitors/Athletics/Mens/Tennis/Pages/default.aspx

I hear COD is a Junior College Tennis Powerhouse...but it's in Palm Dessert, Southern California...2.5 hours away from San Diego.

Joeyg
04-01-2009, 08:02 AM
There is probably no way that this kid could play for COD. They are ALWAYS loaded. Mostly foreign players that have played in Europe or the far east. The rumor is that the "boosters" make sure they want for nothing. The joke nickname is COD=cash on delivery!

tacoben
04-01-2009, 08:11 AM
There is probably no way that this kid could play for COD. They are ALWAYS loaded. Mostly foreign players that have played in Europe or the far east. The rumor is that the "boosters" make sure they want for nothing. The joke nickname is COD=cash on delivery!

Yea, I was just looking at their roster...lots of foreigners...past players transferred/played for the likes of USC, UCLA. But hey, the OP is from Canada...so he'd fit in :???:. COD players are 5.0 and above Joeyg?

GeoffB
04-01-2009, 08:24 AM

You might also want to consider joining a campus club team.

http://tennisoncampus.com/site3.aspx

While these teams aren't "official", they're very organized and play competitively in a league against other campus club teams. I've hit with a few people on these teams, and the level of play can be very high, definitely 4.5+.

Actually, I suspect that a club team at UBC (not sure if one exists) would be able to play in one of those leagues pretty easily, so that might be an option for you.

goober
04-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Oh I see.
Is USC a hard school to get into?

Depends on what you define as hard. The joke around LA when I was growing up was that USC = University of Second Choice because it was for those who couldn't get into UCLA. It is also known as University of Spoiled Children because a lot of children from wealthy families went there. That was then, nowadays I am told that USC has upgraded their academic standards. You would have to check out their website for their average GPA/SAT and also closely look at the % of applicants accepted since that is a key stat.

get it in
04-01-2009, 02:27 PM
USC has definitely upgraded their admission standards recently. It's harder than you think to get in now compared to 15 years ago. It's a good school, but it is expensive and is located in the armpit of Los Angeles (not a very nice area- the opposite of UCSD). I don't recommend it but check it out if you're really interested. Their tennis team is stacked so you can always watch good tennis there.
People say it's easier to get into private schools because you can donate a ton of money to help your odds of getting in. I have no experience with this but I'm sure there's some truth to it.
Guys, it's makes the thread interesting to talk about the attractiveness of the girls, but let's stay on topic. I don't think this person is going to choose a place because of the people who go there.

sureshs
04-01-2009, 02:34 PM

Because they are private, they have more flexible admission policies which need not be entirely grade-based or subject to the same legal scrutiny as public universities. They also have more need for money. They are allowed to legally admit some students whom they consider "potential future donors." Also, they tend to be expensive in the first place, so it is easier to get in if you are richer.

There are also other subtle things. Private universities have arrangements with elite private high schools. Officials from these schools visit the private universities carrying hyped-up profiles of their students to "inform" them about who is out there for admissions.

sureshs
04-01-2009, 02:36 PM
USC has definitely upgraded their admission standards recently. It's harder than you think to get in now compared to 15 years ago. It's a good school, but it is expensive and is located in the armpit of Los Angeles (not a very nice area- the opposite of UCSD).

Very good point. I have been to USC. It is near the "armpit" as you say and South-Central with its gangs is not far away. The uninversity provides escorts in the evening, and there is housing with security. I would advice against moving in into any cheap housing close to the university due to security reasons.

get it in
04-01-2009, 02:40 PM
But the campus itself is really quite nice. Once you get past the high fences and security guards, it's a great place to be a student. I'm trying not to be too biased as my wife went to UCLA (the 2 schools are bitter rivals to say the least).
sureshs- where are you located?

sureshs
04-01-2009, 02:42 PM
But the campus itself is really quite nice. Once you get past the high fences and security guards, it's a great place to be a student. I'm trying not to be too biased as my wife went to UCLA (the 2 schools are bitter rivals to say the least).
sureshs- where are you located?

San Diego.

Joeyg
04-01-2009, 02:47 PM
To even have a chance to play at COD, you would have too be a minimum of a 5.0 and maybe a 5.5. A few years ago, they had 6 open players with 3 true 6.0's.

get it in
04-01-2009, 02:52 PM
sureshs-You live in a fantastic city (purely my opinion).

I think the OP should be okay with tuition, at least until he establishes residency. He's been to IMG in FL so he's got some reserves.

There are plenty of great schools in this country. Many have fantastic tennis programs as well as academics so there are a lot of choices. However, if you want the best weather it's really hard to beat San Diego. I've traveled the US coast to coast and found that the consistency of good weather is pretty much unmatched, even if you include states like Florida. Hm, Hawaii definitely gives San Diego a run for the money. Ah, the aloha state....That, however, is the topic of another thread! Boy do I wish I were in Hawaii right now.

sureshs
04-01-2009, 02:59 PM
sureshs-You live in a fantastic city (purely my opinion).

I think the OP should be okay with tuition, at least until he establishes residency. He's been to IMG in FL so he's got some reserves.

There are plenty of great schools in this country. Many have fantastic tennis programs as well as academics so there are a lot of choices. However, if you want the best weather it's really hard to beat San Diego. I've traveled the US coast to coast and found that the consistency of good weather is pretty much unmatched, even if you include states like Florida. Hm, Hawaii definitely gives San Diego a run for the money. Ah, the aloha state....That, however, is the topic of another thread! Boy do I wish I were in Hawaii right now.

One of the problems of being in SD is that you don't feel any need to go to any place on vacation (except Hawaii as you said). For one thing, somebody keeps showing up at your place instead, and for another, it seems much easier to just go around locally in a cheap way and continue playing tennis, instead of traveling and spending big bucks elsewhere.

get it in
04-01-2009, 03:03 PM
Good point. I do get a lot of visitors at my house. As far as traveling, tennis is more of a hobby for me so I like to travel around. I'm happy to report that no place has impressed me enough to move.

tacoben
04-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Not to side track this thread, but I just want to say that, San Diego has some of the nicest Tennis Facilities I've seen in California....e.g.,Barnes Tennis Center, Coronado Tennis Center.

roddick_rulz
04-01-2009, 04:29 PM
People say it's easier to get into private schools because you can donate a ton of money to help your odds of getting in. I have no experience with this but I'm sure there's some truth to it.

Wow I never knew that you could do such a thing.
I would willingly do that if I got assurance that I'd be accepted.
But I'd hate to donate a lot of money and get rejected.

get it in
04-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Wow I never knew that you could do such a thing.
I would willingly do that if I got assurance that I'd be accepted.
But I'd hate to donate a lot of money and get rejected.

That was a bit of an oversimplification. You would have to donate an awful lot of money to make something like that happen. I don't know what that amount is but it's more than many of us have. Suffice it to say one is best served working hard and getting good grades. The rest will take care of itself. It's just like they say in tennis. Work hard and your rankings will take care of themselves.

Also, I agree with the post above about tennis facilities. There are some nice public facilities here but I don't live near any of them. Barnes tennis center even has clay courts which is pretty rare for southern california. Maybe not so on the east coast.

roddick_rulz
04-01-2009, 05:27 PM
For college acceptance, do they take your grades from 9-12, SAT, ACT?

I might be in a bit of pickle because in Canada, the only grade they use is the grade 12 marks so most people slack until then (me being one of them).

And club tennis seems ideal for me.
What level of play is it generally for a team like USC?

get it in
04-02-2009, 11:56 AM
For college acceptance, do they take your grades from 9-12, SAT, ACT?

I might be in a bit of pickle because in Canada, the only grade they use is the grade 12 marks so most people slack until then (me being one of them).

And club tennis seems ideal for me.
What level of play is it generally for a team like USC?

It depends on which school you are applying to. For UC schools like San Diego (UCSD), Irvine (UCI), and Los Angeles (UCLA), they take your grades from 9, 10, 11. They also require you to keep your grades up for half of grade 12 (minimum 3.0 gpa). You get extra points for advanced placement classes which you probably don't have in Canada. These are college level courses you can take while still in high school. Not all schools in the US offer these courses. The SAT is generally accepted but some students take the ACT.

For a community college, all you need is a high school diploma or some kind of equivalent to enroll in classes, although it is a little more complicated than that but not by much.

USC is a powerhouse tennis school. They recruit players with national rankings so they're very, very good. These players also get scholarships so they have to be good. You'll see guys with big serves, exceptional movement skills, and good point construction technique. I'm speaking about the team of course and not the club level. Club level play is probably pretty good too, though I have no experience with it.

Like I said before, unless you have a specific need to come to southern california, take a look at others schools including ones in Canada and other parts of the US. You have so many options available to you at different levels. I think it's more important to find a school you really like than to conform your ideals to a school you've already chosen.

Oh by the way, never ever attend a school you have never visited. You could be making a huge mistake. There's no way of knowing whether that school is right for you until you step on the campus and take a tour. I turned down 2 schools because they didn't feel right on my visits.

roddick_rulz
04-02-2009, 01:29 PM
How do you calculate your gpa?
What do colleges pay more attention to, your gpa or SAT scores?

Nellie
04-02-2009, 02:09 PM
2009 USC admissions info - 21% admission rates:
http://www.usc.edu/uscnews/stories/15027.html

Admissions are need blind (no one looks at your income). If you need to "buy" your way into a school, don't ask the price (think about a giving building/library...)

get it in
04-03-2009, 10:28 AM
How do you calculate your gpa?
What do colleges pay more attention to, your gpa or SAT scores?

GPA is calculated as an average of your grades. Each A is 4 points, each B is 3 points, each C is 2 points, each D is 1 point, and an F is zero points.

If you get all A's, you will have a maximum of 4.0. If you get all F's, you will have the minimum of 0.0. There are extra points for advanced placement (college level) courses as some schools, but it depends on the school. Usually you get one extra point for those classes so an A gives you 5 points instead of 4. It's one way of rewarding students for taking challenging courses.

As far as what colleges pay more attention to, it depends on the school. Every school is different and not every school tells you what they look for. UCSD happens to tell people what they look for. It's a very specific formula that is weighed heavily towards grades and test scores.

Suffice it to say that you should do well with both grades (GPA) and SAT scores to get into the schools you want. If you don't do well with grades, then try harder to get that good test score to show that you are qualified and that your grades aren't necessarily a good indicator of your high school career.

Alternatively, develop a huge serve and forehand. Just kidding! Study hard. :)

roddick_rulz
04-27-2009, 01:46 PM
I was looking at factors that affect acceptance into colleges and one of them was family alumni.
I have four cousins who went to UCLA.
Does the family alumni factor really increase your chances of being accepted by a great margin?

get it in
04-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Unfortunately, no. I'm not sure you get any points at all. This is because all UC schools are public. I'm sure for private schools it matters a lot more if you had a family member attend. Public schools are for the people and it wouldn't make sense to keep giving big points to family members. Not when everyone is paying taxes. I'm guessing the university uses this to track how often family members go to UC schools. Here's the link that I got my info from:

http://www.ucsd.edu/prospective-students/admissions/undergraduate-admissions/freshmen/process.html

There is a lot of info there but suffice it to say that family attendance is not on the list.

Gus
04-30-2009, 12:55 PM
"Get it in" you might as well apply for a job as a UC admissions officer after all this. Kudos to you for your helpful attitude. OP- just go to the UC website already. Everything you need to know is there.

get it in
05-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks! I figured since I went to the school, I should help out a little. The campus will sell itself once you visit.
UCSD is not for the student wanting the 'typical college experience.' Most students there study really hard hoping to get into grad school somewhere. The weather is pretty good, though. Lots of outdoor activities to distract you if you want. For more of the party life, take I-8 East and exit at College avenue. SDSU has a fraternity row. Enough said.

Jdavid
05-01-2009, 04:21 PM
haha not at all.....ucsd girls are known to be mostly asian, nerdy, and not good looking. sdsu girls are known to be some of the hottest in the country....theyre not even in the same category

I attended both schools - USCD for undergrad and SDSU for graduate school and I can say this is a pretty accurate assessment

GeoffB
05-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Unfortunately, no. I'm not sure you get any points at all. This is because all UC schools are public. I'm sure for private schools it matters a lot more if you had a family member attend. Public schools are for the people and it wouldn't make sense to keep giving big points to family members. Not when everyone is paying taxes. I'm guessing the university uses this to track how often family members go to UC schools. Here's the link that I got my info from:

http://www.ucsd.edu/prospective-students/admissions/undergraduate-admissions/freshmen/process.html

There is a lot of info there but suffice it to say that family attendance is not on the list.

You're correct - having a family legacy, even one that has donated big $$$ to the university has no effect whatsoever on admissions to UC schools. This actually does affect UC 's - especially Berkeley - because they sometimes do lose big donors (I'm talking people who have given tens of millions to the university) after rejecting their kids' applications. It shows integrity, I suppose, but Berkeley does lose out when big donors can't get their kids into the university... and you *know* private college like stanford and harvard do let in kids who wouldn't be admitted except that they're from families who have given tons of dough to the university.

staTennis
05-02-2009, 12:25 AM
I'm gonna throw this in this thread and see if anyone knows, but what happened to Bijan Moallemi at UCSD? not on the roster, and i know he was younger than me and i just graduated from school in VA. Did he transfer? dropout?

get it in
05-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Regarding family history and large donations. I always wondered if it would be of any use to go to a big name school just because your parents gave a lot of money. Sure you get the brand name diploma, but it's more important that your work hard and learn something. If you get admitted and don't learn much, can you really be successful? The diploma will get you your first job and that's about all. The rest is up to your resume, isn't it? Perhaps your mileage may vary but that's what I seem to notice. Hardly anything in life is handed to you. You have to make what you can. On a side note, this is especially true for tennis. No one is going to hand you a match. It hasn't happened to me yet. I must not have waited long enough.