PDA

View Full Version : Stepanek

gopokes
03-30-2009, 05:57 PM
As odd as the guy seems, I like Stepanek's game. Does he hit with a semi or an eastern fh - his strokes seem so flat. I think that Fed could actually learn a thing or two from him in terms of variety and strategy. I actually think Stepanek executes a bit better at the net than a lot of guys. What say ye?
GP

Eviscerator
03-30-2009, 06:35 PM
I think that Fed could actually learn a thing or two from him

What like how to do the worm :mrgreen:

oy vey
03-30-2009, 07:00 PM
I like the Worm too. Nobody like him out there.

imalil2gangsta4u
03-30-2009, 07:01 PM
I love his game, which is all that really matters.

DNShade
03-30-2009, 07:02 PM
As odd as the guy seems, I like Stepanek's game. Does he hit with a semi or an eastern fh - his strokes seem so flat. I think that Fed could actually learn a thing or two from him in terms of variety and strategy. I actually think Stepanek executes a bit better at the net than a lot of guys. What say ye?
GP

He's actually closer to a continental grip on the fh...So probably continental to eastern - somewhere in there.

And, yes..I like his game as well. Goes to show you how even a marginally decent s&v player can really throw todays players off. God forbid a true - good - s&v player comes along. I can't wait.

Tennis_Monk
03-30-2009, 07:19 PM
I dont like his antics on the court. I do like his effort and hardwork.

slicefox
03-30-2009, 07:24 PM
Decent player.

I like his willingness to go to the net.

tenis
03-30-2009, 08:41 PM
Smart, inteligent play today against Gonza!

gj011
03-30-2009, 08:43 PM
Radek is cool.

Rabbit
03-30-2009, 08:45 PM
I love his game. He is one of the few guys left on tour who "knows" how to win. He does go over the top with some of his stuff, but then again, I've seen him practice and he seems to genuinely have fun! You can fault the guy. He's a great player who does everything well.

BreakPoint
03-30-2009, 08:50 PM
I love his game. He is one of the few guys left on tour who "knows" how to win. He does go over the top with some of his stuff, but then again, I've seen him practice and he seems to genuinely have fun! You can fault the guy. He's a great player who does everything well.
Including getting the hot ladies. :)

Yes, a great "player" he is. ;)

Leublu tennis
03-30-2009, 09:15 PM
Stepanek turned 30 in November. It had taken him 6 years to break into top 100. Then 2 more years to reach top 50 and 2 more years to the top 10 which he reached in 2006. He is now ranked #19 at 30 years of age. Not bad.

baseline08thrasher
03-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Eastern Forehand Grip.

BreakPoint
03-30-2009, 09:26 PM
Eastern Forehand Grip.
More like Continental Grip.

welcome2petrkordaland
03-30-2009, 09:59 PM
he's hands down IMO the best volleyer on tour. sweet hands and such a smart player.

btw, did anyone see gonzo beam him on the first set overhead? radek was putting his hand up on gonzo's serve, making him wait quite a few times. so then, gonzo gets a shot at a gimmee overhead which he launches into radek's mid-section. then on the changeover he said sorry to which radek didn't respond . . . hilarious

actually frederico gil went at nadal today too but nadal got his racket in front and the ball ricocheted out.

saram
03-30-2009, 10:16 PM

Much agreed.

tahiti
03-31-2009, 01:04 AM
He's always fun to watch, quite a character and some good shots there in his toolbag. I think Verdasco is going to knock him out though.

Grizvok
03-31-2009, 01:08 AM
Being czech myself, I have to say Radek is a pretty damn good volleyer.

Rabbit
03-31-2009, 08:36 AM

The above should have read "you can't fault the guy". I think he's having a blast, enjoying his time on tour and kicking some serious *** as well. RS is a threat to win any tournament he's in.

Including getting the hot ladies. :)

Yes, a great "player" he is. ;)

And Volkl dropped him.....sheesh.....

Mansewerz
03-31-2009, 08:38 AM
Is Radek sponsored?

Looks like I have a new player to watch. He had some sick volleys last night. I'm trying to be a serve and volleyer.

edmondsm
03-31-2009, 09:24 AM
Any variety and personality in today's game is very welcome IMO.

Gugafan_Redux
03-31-2009, 10:22 AM
I was a having a good think about Radek while watching him against Gonzo. With his strange racquet, apparel and looks, he is one of a kind. It's just funny what makes a player a star and not others. He's got great game, that's all that matters. So much smarts at the net, dug out some great volleys.

I don't know if he can be called a S&V player, though. He typically starts a point from the back court and comes in on an approach.

Jonny S&V
03-31-2009, 10:38 AM
he's hands down IMO the best volleyer on tour. sweet hands and such a smart player.

Eh, Taylor Dent ftw, but he still does have the 2nd best volleys. :twisted:

But other then that, he has a better backcourt game then Dent.

Ripster
03-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Nah I think Stepanek has better volleys than Dent.

I wish more tour pro's played like Radek.
Stepanek is the man.

Rabbit
03-31-2009, 04:59 PM
Is Radek sponsored?

Looks like I have a new player to watch. He had some sick volleys last night. I'm trying to be a serve and volleyer.

He used to be sponsored by Volkl, but when they went south, so did his endorsement. Last year, he had a bunch of the frames he endorsed for Volkl made for him in China. This year, he has switched to a Bosworth frame.

bladepdb
03-31-2009, 05:25 PM
Is Radek sponsored?

Bosworth racquets (same company as Navaratilova's); Pacific Life strings; Nike shoes; Alea clothing.

Josherer
03-31-2009, 06:08 PM
I love watching Stephanek. He is one of the smartest on court players and he makes the most of the ability he has.

quest01
03-31-2009, 06:11 PM

I actually enjoy Stepanek's antics on the court, we need more players like this on the ATP tour.

gopokes
03-31-2009, 10:14 PM
I like the comment about how Stepanek makes the most of what he has. I think that's part of his allure. He reminds me of a sort of "Bizarro-world Mecir." He plays within himself and knows his limitations and strengths. This is in itself a great portion of what it takes to get to the next level for most of us, regardless of what that level might be. I fought the concept of the player that I wanted to be vs the player that I actually was for a long time. I still do doggonit! Anyway, guys like Santoro and Stepanek are a nice contrast to the cookie-cutter (with all due respect to those that have distinguished themselves as such) ball-strikers of today.
GP