PDA

View Full Version : Gael Monfils vs. Rafael Nadal

riponeverything
03-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Which of these two players do you think is faster, quicker, and has better court coverage?

Nadal_Freak
03-30-2009, 06:15 PM
Nadal is better in all 3 categories. Monfils only has a better serve and better reach.

beckham
03-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Rafael Nadal hands down.

quest01
03-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Nadal is better in every category.

GameSampras
03-30-2009, 06:24 PM
Monfils was tracking down some pretty high paced powerful shots by Safin down yesterday. Monfils was a machine out there yesterday.

Breaker
03-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Monfils is a bit quicker and faster with great anticipation as well. I've seen several pros (Hewitt, Blake) say that he was the fastest they had ever played.

Nadal does a lot more with the ball on the run obviously.

slicefox
03-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Nadal is better in all 3 categories. Monfils only has a better serve and better reach.

You just have to look at his name/avatar and you know exactly what he's going to say:

Nadal is the best, everyone else sucks. Nobody can touch rafa with a 10 foot pole. :cool:

riponeverything
03-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Both players are really good in all three categories. But ill have to say that Monfils anticipates better than nadal and covers the court very well.

Nadal_Freak
03-30-2009, 08:01 PM
You just have to look at his name/avatar and you know exactly what he's going to say:

Nadal is the best, everyone else sucks. Nobody can touch rafa with a 10 foot pole. :cool:
If you've seen some of my other posts about other players, you know that is not true. Good job doing your research. :rolleyes:

egn
03-30-2009, 08:03 PM
I think monfils is faster and has quicker reactions but not by some huge margin but overall i think nadal covers the court better and makes better running shots. Monfils would probably outsprint Nadal in a dash by a bit but I would rather be Nadal on the court, Monfils has speed and can track down a shot maybe a bit better but I don't think he can produce nearly the level of shots Nadal can produce.

grafselesfan
03-30-2009, 08:05 PM

I agree. Good post.

Nadal_Freak
03-30-2009, 08:10 PM
I think monfils is faster and has quicker reactions but not by some huge margin but overall i think nadal covers the court better and makes better running shots. Monfils would probably outsprint Nadal in a dash by a bit but I would rather be Nadal on the court, Monfils has speed and can track down a shot maybe a bit better but I don't think he can produce nearly the level of shots Nadal can produce.
Not a quicker reaction but if it was 100 yards, Monfils looks like the ideal sprinter in this type of race. On a tennis court though, he can't stop and change directions as well. Just not enough time for him to hit any high gears. We are talking about speed on a tennis court and the edge goes to Nadal.

deltox
03-30-2009, 08:17 PM
nadal has better court coverage for sure, but faster/quicker Monfils has the fastest first step in present tennis. He just lacks the ability to be offensive while in sprint mode unlike Nadal who can hit while in a full run with accuracy.

RoddickAce
03-30-2009, 08:38 PM
I thnik Monfils is quicker, they are tied for pure speed and Nadal is better with court coverage.

Lsmkenpo
03-30-2009, 08:43 PM
Monfils is the best pure athlete on the tour and it really isn't even close, think
Nadal or Federer can jump this high and hit a forehand, I doubt either could dunk a basketball, Monfils can probably do a 360 dunk. I would be willing to bet my life he would blow Nadal or Federer away in a foot race.

http://70.img.v4.skyrock.net/700/gael-monfils-22/pics/1086454306_small.jpg

riponeverything
03-30-2009, 09:18 PM
true that..monfils is the most athletic player on tour with out a doubt

Fedace
03-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Monfils is the best pure athlete on the tour and it really isn't even close, think
Nadal or Federer can jump this high and hit a forehand, I doubt either could dunk a basketball, Monfils can probably do a 360 dunk. I would be willing to bet my life he would blow Nadal or Federer away in a foot race.

Why can't he do with Isner's serve ??? he was constantly letting his serve go over his shoulder and miss hitting it. Isner was having a field day.

saram
03-30-2009, 10:26 PM
If you've seen some of my other posts about other players, you know that is not true. Good job doing your research. :rolleyes:

Sorry--but they were right. You post 4oo posts per day including one word: Nadal.

ESP#1
03-30-2009, 10:29 PM

What this pic really shows is how bad his court positioning is

Kobble
03-30-2009, 10:49 PM
I saw Monfils track down some balls you shouldn't get to, and I've seen the same by Nadal. Monfils, due to reach, might have more range for just geting his racquet on it. However, Nadal does more with the ball, a lot more. I would rather be Nadal, if I had to choose. Monfils got a lot balls back against Safin, but he never really threatened Safin with a majority of them. Most were squash shots, floaters, and weak replies.

chrisdaniel
03-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Ha Ha, that Monfils pic never fails to amaze me. Freaking ridiculous.

carlos djackal
03-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Nadal hands down for now, but I would not count Monfils out in the future.....he looks to me like a late bloomer....he's got a lot of potential...

imalil2gangsta4u
03-30-2009, 11:08 PM
I saw Monfils track down some balls you shouldn't get to, and I've seen the same by Nadal. Monfils, due to reach, might have more range for just geting his racquet on it. However, Nadal does more with the ball, a lot more. I would rather be Nadal, if I had to choose. Monfils got a lot balls back against Safin, but he never really threatened Safin with a majority of them. Most were squash shots, floaters, and weak replies.

exactly right

bluetrain4
03-31-2009, 12:50 AM
I think Monfils could (not "will") make this interesting, since it's only best of 3.

I don't think he will win, but he actually has the game to hang with Nadal: (1) can win free points off the serve, (2) can get a lot of balls back, and is a great mover, (3) can hit big groundstroke winners when he needs to, (4) seems like the type of guy who won't get nervous and will look forward to the challenge, not really caring if he loses.

Of, course, he needs to actually execute. So, it could be close, but I can also see Rafa winning fairly easily.

A small chance at an upset if Monfils stays close throughout and Nadal is slightly off, but I don't see it happening.

tahiti
03-31-2009, 12:56 AM
Which of these two players do you think is faster, quicker, and has better court coverage?

Faster and quicker are surely synonymous with each other???

As Nadal is the better player and anticipates he would be quicker on court. Monfils though for sure would win the 100m sprint. He's leaner and very agile.

The Don
03-31-2009, 02:35 AM

LMFAO!!!! HAHA its pretty funny...

jukka1970
03-31-2009, 02:50 AM
I don't even think this is a contest. Nadal has Monfils beat in each category.

Jukka

jukka1970
03-31-2009, 02:54 AM

Well Nadal or Federer may not be able to jump as high. But then again, since it isn't basketball, not sure its relevant. Considering most rallies don't come down to this shot. The other thing is, they may not be able to jump as high to return it, but Monfils still needs to actually get the return in, as well as be able to control it, for it to matter. There are people who can jump like Sampras going for the overhead smash, but if they can't get the smash in, then it really doesn't matter, where as Sampras almost always got that shot in.

Jukka

deltox
03-31-2009, 08:13 AM
I think Monfils could (not "will") make this interesting, since it's only best of 3.

I don't think he will win, but he actually has the game to hang with Nadal: (1) can win free points off the serve, (2) can get a lot of balls back, and is a great mover, (3) can hit big groundstroke winners when he needs to, (4) seems like the type of guy who won't get nervous and will look forward to the challenge, not really caring if he loses.

Of, course, he needs to actually execute. So, it could be close, but I can also see Rafa winning fairly easily.

A small chance at an upset if Monfils stays close throughout and Nadal is slightly off, but I don't see it happening.

they have met twice this year and are 1-1 in 2009

M J
03-31-2009, 11:25 PM
I agree with those who say that Monfils has more speed and court coverage, but Nadal does more with his defensive shots. Monfils gets his racquet on balls that no human should get to, but even from a mildly defensive position, his defensive shots can be pretty weak.

Nadal also has ridiculous speed, but he's #1 because he can do something offensive with balls that most players can't get to. Every time the ball touches his racquet, he does something with it that will apply pressure to the opponent. Nadal actually has a very offensive mindset. He never just puts the ball back in the court and hopes you miss; every shot is designed to make you miss.

TennisandMusic
03-31-2009, 11:55 PM

Does anyone know what match this was from, and if perhaps there is a video?

Jimmyk459
04-01-2009, 03:01 AM
Nadal has superior footwork. It doesnt really matter how fast gael or nadal are. Overall, Nadal has better movement.

fps
04-01-2009, 03:26 AM
Well Nadal or Federer may not be able to jump as high. But then again, since it isn't basketball, not sure its relevant. Considering most rallies don't come down to this shot. The other thing is, they may not be able to jump as high to return it, but Monfils still needs to actually get the return in, as well as be able to control it, for it to matter. There are people who can jump like Sampras going for the overhead smash, but if they can't get the smash in, then it really doesn't matter, where as Sampras almost always got that shot in.

Jukka

this doesn't matter. this thread is about who is quicker and has better court coverage, not what they do with the ball.

to me, monfils looks like the kind of athlete tennis needs to get hold of. he has the natural frame, incredible speed, and all-round physique of a guy who could have gone into a number of sports and succeeded.

I think he is quicker than Nadal, but Nadal has greater stamina, so that Nadal can continue to run at his highest level for hours whereas Monfils often looks tired. Another reason for this is that Nadal's anticipation and court understanding are so good that he is rarely sprinting *flat out*, compared with Monfils who still stands too far behind the baseline regardless of the play, resulting in more flat-out running and more exhaustion.

cknobman
04-01-2009, 06:34 AM
the one with the higher ranking