PDA

View Full Version : Hit with 120 mph overhead

JuliusWinto
03-30-2009, 06:36 PM
I was watching the Miami tournament tonight, and Stepanek got hit by a 120 mph overhead. It hit him on the backside, luckily for him he had time to turn at least. I wonder if anyone has ever been hit by a shot as hard as that before in the history of tennis. His reaction was great, though. None whatsoever. He didn't let it affect his play either. His oppenent didn't even put up his hand to fake apologize! Thoughts? Comments?

ferocious4hand
03-30-2009, 06:38 PM
gonzo did offer an apology during change-over but Stepanek didn't acknowledge it.

JuliusWinto
03-30-2009, 06:48 PM
I wouldn't either. Would you? His argument, I'm sure would be that Stepanek was taking too much time getting ready to return serve, but I think that deserved an apology immediately, even if it was on purpose. It was vicious.

Teh_pwnerer
03-30-2009, 06:55 PM
i was about to post a thread about it, since i didint see any tho, i saw the whole thing and it did look intentionally.
Also Gonzo's apology was really bad, it was like hey, sorry.. then he kept walking away, i would atleast have given him a handshake or something

JuliusWinto
03-30-2009, 06:59 PM
I was really surprised. What a jerk. It would've really rattled me. I would've been so mad. Very professional from Stepanek.

Bash and Crash
03-30-2009, 07:15 PM
poor Radek, can't wait to see the highlights....I drilled a guy right between the eyes once in a junior college match..shattered his raybans....not my fault though, doubles match and they hit a tough low lob that I was able to hit hard but not aim and whammo...pretty sure it was hummin over 100mph..

deltox
03-30-2009, 07:19 PM
its pro tennis, if you wanna not be crushed with a ball, concede at the net by turning your back, otherwise your fair game.

JuliusWinto
03-30-2009, 07:26 PM
He was at the baseline. Wish I had a link to show you the shot.

JuliusWinto
03-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Plus, it wasn't really about how much it hurt Stepanek (I'm sure it stung, though). It was about how much of a jerk Gonzo is.

Nadal_Freak
03-30-2009, 07:28 PM
I bet some of the Gonzo hate here is because of the Blake situation in the Olympics. Get over it. Gonzo didn't do it on purpose and apologized later even though Stepanek is annoying.

JuliusWinto
03-30-2009, 07:30 PM
You could tell it was on purpose. It was two points after he complained about Stepanek taking too much time between points, and he just teed off on it.

Kenny022593
03-30-2009, 07:32 PM
you think this will be on the sports center top plays tomarrow?

Nadal_Freak
03-30-2009, 07:32 PM
You could tell it was on purpose. It was two points after he complained about Stepanek taking too much time between points, and he just teed off on it.
Stepanek was way at the baseline. It was not like Gonzo was going at him at the net. Stepanek just couldn't get out of the way but Gonzo needed to hit that hard to make sure Stepanek couldn't get it back.

Drudge
03-30-2009, 07:34 PM
I was watching the Miami tournament tonight, and Stepanek got hit by a 120 mph overhead. It hit him on the backside, luckily for him he had time to turn at least. I wonder if anyone has ever been hit by a shot as hard as that before in the history of tennis. His reaction was great, though. None whatsoever. He didn't let it affect his play either. His oppenent didn't even put up his hand to fake apologize! Thoughts? Comments?

LOL. This reminds me of when Philippoussis unloaded an overhead on his coach during a practice session at the Pilot Pen about 10 years ago. It was the loudest bang and the biggest black and blue i've ever seen on someone, hehe.

JuliusWinto
03-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Stepanek was way at the baseline. It was not like Gonzo was going at him at the net. Stepanek just couldn't get out of the way but Gonzo needed to hit that hard to make sure Stepanek couldn't get it back.

I don't think he had time to move at all. And Gonzo could've hit it left or right. Oh well. We can agree to disagree. I usually agree with what you say, and am a big Nadal fan. I wouldn't be surprised if it's on Sports Center tomorrow, but I'm not sure how interested Americans in general are in the outcome of this match.

Nadal_Freak
03-30-2009, 07:39 PM
I don't think he had time to move at all. And Gonzo could've hit it left or right. Oh well. We can agree to disagree. I usually agree with what you say, and am a big Nadal fan. I wouldn't be surprised if it's on Sports Center tomorrow, but I'm not sure how interested Americans in general are in the outcome of this match.
Players usually like to guess left or right in desperate attempts to get it back. Going down the middle usually is the most effective way to put a ball away. It looked bad I have to admit but I don't think he did that on purpose.

pabletion
03-30-2009, 07:51 PM
well, Javier Frana, Latin Espn commentator and former pro, was saying he thought there was some intention on it. I didnt see it, turned the tv apparently when it had just happened (I saw the "apology" at the change over). Frana said that he thought Gonzo acted wrong on not apologizing immediately, and thats what made it look that it was on purpose. That coming from a south american like Gonzo. Crap I didnt see the rest of the match, did anything else go on at the end? a funky celebration by Radek? Nothing at the handshake?

JuliusWinto
03-30-2009, 08:05 PM
Just a little scissor kick at the end by Stepanek. Gonzo tried to say something at the net at the end, but Stepanek just shrugged and then acknowledged the crowd.

SonRK
03-30-2009, 08:08 PM
There was some tension because when Gonzo was up to serve, Radek would put out his hand and get a few extra seconds to get ready, and that seemed to tick off Gonzo.

The smash being hit at him, whether intentional or not, just seemed to increase the tension. Gonzo did apologize during the crossover and at the end when they shook hands, so whatever.

ronalditop
03-30-2009, 08:10 PM
gonzo definitely did it on porpuse, and he didnt even fake an apologize right after he hit him. He just waited to finish the game and said somethin like "sorry btw". what a jerk he is. Im glad stephanek beated him.

ferocious4hand
03-30-2009, 08:43 PM
gonzo wasn't trying to hit him, he was doing the right thing by hitting down the middle, Radek just happens to stay put. Nothing wrong with that play.

tsongaali
03-30-2009, 08:56 PM
Well at least the right person won the match:). Stepanek is clutch.

Schills
03-30-2009, 09:03 PM
Hitting a guy at the baseline? I doubt it was intentional as it is very difficult to do. Try it some time. I'll bet you miss 9 out of 10.

tudwell
03-30-2009, 09:07 PM
Whether it was intentional or not, there's nothing wrong with hitting the ball at someone. If Stepanek couldn't return the ball, then Gonzalez won the point fair and square.

Ronny
03-30-2009, 09:08 PM
gonzo isnt wrong when he did this...he did wat he thought he needed to win...

DNShade
03-31-2009, 01:08 AM
It was totally intentional on Gonzo's part. No question. But hey, it's totally fair game in tennis. But then again, perhaps it spurred on Stepanek...

He did the right thing. Just ignore it and proceed to beat the crap out of the guy who beamed you on purpose in straights. Put the beat down on him. And he did. Well done.

120mphBodyServe
03-31-2009, 03:35 AM
Meh... Go Gonzo... To me Stepanek is seriously annoying with his silly antics..
Getting hit with a 120mph smash? Wow.. Tennis needs some drama anyway...
*waits for youtube link*

lawrence
03-31-2009, 03:47 AM
Hitting a guy at the baseline? I doubt it was intentional as it is very difficult to do. Try it some time. I'll bet you miss 9 out of 10.

hi we're not on the ATP

Bobble
03-31-2009, 05:57 AM
It was intentional and a bit uncalled for but in Gonzo's defense, he goes down the middle alot for close shots and even passes. The funny thing is that at the end of the match he went up the middle to close a point and Stepanek made an awesome retrieval and was ale to win the point...thus leading to the break point, the break, and the match...all's fair. Stepanek kept his professionalism nicely, probably because Korda was there watching him.

Fedace
03-31-2009, 06:42 AM
Gonzo should have given stepanek one of those girl Kisses at the end to apologize. It seems like it always works in women. Kirilenko always ends her matches with kisses and women seem to think she is nicest girl in tour.

Gorecki
03-31-2009, 06:51 AM
It was intentional and a bit uncalled for but in Gonzo's defense, he goes down the middle alot for close shots and even passes. The funny thing is that at the end of the match he went up the middle to close a point and Stepanek made an awesome retrieval and was ale to win the point...thus leading to the break point, the break, and the match...all's fair. Stepanek kept his professionalism nicely, probably because Korda was there watching him.

Ha.. Petr Korda the "Juice" of professionalism...

rounick
03-31-2009, 06:58 AM
Although I doubt it,I really hope it was intentional.Stepanek is the biggest a-hole on the tour.He should get some of these in every match.

shadows
03-31-2009, 08:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5PbMCRN5xo

stepanek has an *** of steel

yourmom08
03-31-2009, 08:59 AM

maybe thats how he gets the chicks

definately looks like he did it on purpose. i love gonzo

Mansewerz
03-31-2009, 08:59 AM
It wasn't the fact that he pegged Stepanek, it was the fact that he didn't apologize immediately. D!ck move my Gonzo.

Jonny S&V
03-31-2009, 09:35 AM
After seeing it, it looked pseudo-intentional. He wanted to hit Stepanek, but I don't think he actually expected to. Doesn't excuse the non-apology though...

pabletion
03-31-2009, 09:35 AM

"yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!! thats right beaaaaaaaatch!!! dont ever make me wait again...! ........................... btw sorry :)"

_mats_
03-31-2009, 09:45 AM
wow, yes I would call it intentional, the body language, everything....

Nanshiki
03-31-2009, 09:50 AM
If I was a pro and had to play against someone who was vastly superior (ie, Nadal), I'd probably take a few shots at the body... or at least I wouldn't waste time trying to smash somewhere that they're not.

I mean, shoot, they're making $10,000,000+ a year, I think they can take getting pegged by a lesser player.

Bobble
03-31-2009, 10:02 AM
you could tell the point afterwards by the look on gonzo's face that he didnt think he would nail him that hard. kind of like a "whoops" look.

JuliusWinto
03-31-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm glad someone found a link. What a jerk.

EtePras
03-31-2009, 10:53 AM
I'm constantly amazed by the high quality of the competition today compared to the past. 120 mph on a non-service shot?

dgoran
03-31-2009, 11:03 AM
It was intentional no question...Gonzo did not aim for his @ss cause I bet that out of 20 times going with that fury he would mis 20 times but what makes it itentional is that he aimed at his direction and did not appologize immideiately or show any kind of remorse, something any normal human being would do.

Point is valid but it is deffinitelly not fair play. Tennis was a gentlemans sport and that was as far from the roots as it gets.

I woudl not expect anything else from Gonzo, he is a know @ss on the tour.
I remember when he refuse to take a picture or sign an autograph for a very young boy last year in Miami. He was maybe 6 yrs old with his dad.

Can anyone see Fed or Nadal do anything like that?

The_Steak
03-31-2009, 12:02 PM
That was hillarious

kungfusmkim
03-31-2009, 12:21 PM
Well. i dont know. I think roddick hit like a 170 mph overhead against federer in wimbledon imagine if that his someone. Welli get hit in the back of the neck by a overhead once. Hurt bad. Like it was traumatized no paralysis but more or stun and stiffness yeah it hurts.

McNasty911
03-31-2009, 01:39 PM
Sounds like the great game of tennis.

Nadal_Freak
03-31-2009, 01:54 PM
gonzo definitely did it on porpuse, and he didnt even fake an apologize right after he hit him. He just waited to finish the game and said somethin like "sorry btw". what a jerk he is. Im glad stephanek beated him.
At least he said sorry. I wouldn't have with that punk Stepanek on the other side.

thejoe
03-31-2009, 02:06 PM
At least he said sorry. I wouldn't have with that punk Stepanek on the other side.

Haha, I don't think you are alone there.

jefferson
03-31-2009, 03:08 PM
Thats great! thanks for finding the link. Sometimes we dont make the best decisions in the heat of battle...

kimbahpnam
03-31-2009, 03:13 PM

Jeez, not even so much as a raised hand by Gonzo...I didn't know anyone THAT cold still existed on the tour.

At first I was imaging they were both a the net and he hit him point blank. Fortunately that wasn't the case.

Melissa
03-31-2009, 03:41 PM
Good grief people. The ball struck the COURT FIRST! What a bunch of crybabies. From reading these posts it sounded like he was head hunting.

tacou
03-31-2009, 03:44 PM
why should he apologize? Stepanek made no effort to move. by that I mean he conceded the point, I'm sure Gonzo thought he was going to lunge one way or the other.

Anyways nice shot by Gonzo, sadly it wasn't enough to put the worm down.

Kenny022593
03-31-2009, 03:51 PM
Good grief people. The ball struck the COURT FIRST! What a bunch of crybabies. From reading these posts it sounded like he was head hunting.

you go take his place then?

tacou
03-31-2009, 04:10 PM
sure.....'cause Stepanek seemed to be in so much pain?

kimbahpnam
03-31-2009, 04:13 PM
why should he apologize?
he should have out of good sportmanship. he didn't have to mean it, but it would have been a good gesture. just a little courtesy ya know? we raise our hands when our shots clip the net, but you don't think it's necessary to do it when we peg a player with an overhead?

bladepdb
03-31-2009, 04:21 PM
At least the buttocks cushion the blow more than if he was hit elsewhere.

DarthFed
03-31-2009, 04:21 PM
first time i've ever appreciated GOnzo

tsongaali
03-31-2009, 05:11 PM
wow some posters on this board are even worse than gonzo! go figure:)

Melissa
03-31-2009, 05:24 PM
you go take his place then?

For his ranking and paycheck? What do you think? Don't be such a wuss.

tenis
03-31-2009, 05:42 PM
Although I doubt it,I really hope it was intentional.Stepanek is the biggest a-hole on the tour.He should get some of these in every match.

Very classy, have a nice day!!!

TennisNinja
03-31-2009, 06:17 PM
Yeow, that look liked it hurt.

T1000
03-31-2009, 06:44 PM
lmao stepenak didnt move. his fault, not gonzos

federerdomination
03-31-2009, 08:03 PM
lmao stepenak didnt move. his fault, not gonzos

u think he had time?

tudwell
03-31-2009, 08:37 PM
Imagine if he hadn't turned around. :shock:

bet
04-01-2009, 02:42 AM
Well. i dont know. I think roddick hit like a 170 mph overhead against federer in wimbledon imagine if that his someone. Welli get hit in the back of the neck by a overhead once. Hurt bad. Like it was traumatized no paralysis but more or stun and stiffness yeah it hurts.

NO. He didn't. SIGH.

And yes, Gonzales did absolutely nothing wrong here. Stepanek wasn't at close range(which still would have been legal), yes, he did it on purpose, but that's life. They both handled it like pros.

PS. This reminds me of the time Mancini bounced a serve right off Hlasek's butt. It was also 120mph on old radar, probably more like 130mph plus. Mancini gave a slight hand wave and Hlasek had to do a walk of shame to the chair with a slight wince and hand to his butt!

GuyClinch
04-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Funny. I don't think he was a jerk to do that. You guys need to lighten up. A tennis ball isn't going to kill/hurt any pro. It's part of the game.

What's tough is when your playing mixed doubles and there is a girl at the net. Then you gotta remember to take it easy..

Pete