PDA

View Full Version : Federer and his ball watching eyes

toptalent
03-31-2009, 12:55 AM
I know there are already millions of Federer threads out there, but I think it's still worth the time to emphasize on Federer's ball watching skills yet again. Below is a picture taken by a Reuters.com reporter when he hit a ball into the crowd after defeating Marc Gicquel of France during the Indian Wells match. Just look at those eyes, how they were glued to that ball even when he was hitting it to the crowd! This is such unbelievable stuff.

http://cache.boston.com/resize/bonzai-fba/Reuters_Photo/2009/03/26/1238076043_5534/539w.jpg

For the past few months I've been trying to make myself watch the ball for that one extra SPLIT second on each stroke. It's so damn hard than it seems. I said to myself "watch the ball!!!" before a point starts and I could almost always instantly feel the result: a more accurate, solid hit. But once the heat of the points/match builds up I found myself letting loose, till I gave myself the next mental note to watch that ball. It just felt impossible to keep doing it on EVERY stroke, forehand and backhand. In my opinion, if an average player somehow manages to do this, and this alone, his strokes will improve so much more than those swing/stance/body rotation power techs would do for him.

Feel like getting to the court and practice this already. :)

ace-nelis
03-31-2009, 12:59 AM
Hahahah yeah good luck practising it.
bad habbits are hard to lose.

OTMPut
03-31-2009, 02:16 AM
It is simply amazing!
I always wondered about this. You take any random pic, he is watching the ball.

lawrence
03-31-2009, 03:43 AM
i know how you feel, when u watch the ball your strokes are like auto-godlike shots
but then you tend to forget to do it after a few points :\ it sucks

fed probably has formed a habit of it since he was a kid

TheNatural
03-31-2009, 03:47 AM
Tursinov tries to do it, but it looks very deliberate as if someone just told him to try it a week ago . He looks at the contact point for a few extra seconds after contact, but to me it looks like he does it for way too long so it doesn't really help him extend towards the target. He also looks at the ball for 2 extra seconds after hitting volleys in practice, it looks strange.

I know there are already millions of Federer threads out there, but I think it's still worth the time to emphasize on Federer's ball watching skills yet again. Below is a picture taken by a Reuters.com reporter when he hit a ball into the crowd after defeating Marc Gicquel of France during the Indian Wells match. Just look at those eyes, how they were glued to that ball even when he was hitting it to the crowd! This is such unbelievable stuff.

http://cache.boston.com/resize/bonzai-fba/Reuters_Photo/2009/03/26/1238076043_5534/539w.jpg

For the past few months I've been trying to make myself watch the ball for that one extra SPLIT second on each stroke. It's so damn hard than it seems. I said to myself "watch the ball!!!" before a point starts and I could almost always instantly feel the result: a more accurate, solid hit. But once the heat of the points/match builds up I found myself letting loose, till I gave myself the next mental note to watch that ball. It just felt impossible to keep doing it on EVERY stroke, forehand and backhand. In my opinion, if an average player somehow manages to do this, and this alone, his strokes will improve so much more than those swing/stance/body rotation power techs would do for him.

Feel like getting to the court and practice this already. :)