PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Lindsay Davenport's TV work?

SteveI
03-31-2009, 06:14 AM
Hi,

Any thoughts on Lindsay Davenport's TV work? It was the 1st time I had heard her call a match and was not disappointed. Met her in person a few times (HH, SC and Toronto, CAN) and she seems like one of the real nice folks in tennis. Anyone have insights or experiences? Anyone meet her this week on the grounds of this weeks Masters?

Regards,
Steve

bluetrain4
03-31-2009, 06:15 AM
She's coming along. Not great, but not horrible.

Her voice is surprisingly indistinguishable. I think she sounds pretty much like Corina Morarieu.

SteveI
03-31-2009, 06:22 AM
She's coming along. Not great, but not horrible.

Her voice is surprisingly indistinguishable. I think she sounds pretty much like Corina Morarieu.

I felt the same way. While I enjoy what Tracy Austin has to say, her voice can be hard on my ears over a long match. Lindsay's voice was very easy to listen to. She also did not seem to talk during the points.. at least I did not notice. Mary C.. seems to always be chatting while the ball is in play.

rolandg
03-31-2009, 06:25 AM
She seemed to be one of the few tennis players with a brain, but unfortunately I haven't heard her yet.

boredone3456
03-31-2009, 06:32 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed her commentary during Indian Wells. She at least, Unlike Carillo, knew what she was talking about and didn't go off on random points during the rallies. Her commentary during the IW ladies final was good, she was able to really talk about whats it like to play in the wind and describe how that effects technique. If it was Carillo it probably would have been something like "these conditions are very challenging" and left at that. Davenport actually gives explanations for her statements if they aren't clear. Davenport seems to be able to break down shots of other players as well, something other commentators have trouble with.

SteveI
03-31-2009, 06:42 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed her commentary during Indian Wells. She at least, Unlike Carillo, knew what she was talking about and didn't go off on random points during the rallies. Her commentary during the IW ladies final was good, she was able to really talk about whats it like to play in the wind and describe how that effects technique. If it was Carillo it probably would have been something like "these conditions are very challenging" and left at that. Davenport actually gives explanations for her statements if they aren't clear. Davenport seems to be able to break down shots of other players as well, something other commentators have trouble with.

The bottom line for me was that I found myself really listening to her commentary, instead of trying to tune her out. She really did break down the match and shots very well and gave insightful explanations. Like I said.. I was listening.. :-). I enjoyed her work. Maybe ESPN will take notice..

lilycolefan
03-31-2009, 07:25 AM
I hate Tracy Austin. I find her unbearable. She's obsessed with Sharapova too.

sureshs
03-31-2009, 07:48 AM
I think she sounds pretty much like Corina Morarieu.

Sometimes that is also how it seemed to me

bluetrain4
03-31-2009, 08:18 AM
Lindsay seems to enjoy the tennis scene, even when she's not playing (and who wouldn't. Retired players have money, can travel to events, watch great tennis from great seats, and hang out with friends from the tour). But in a few months she will have 2 children. So I don't think she'll be going all over the world to be a commentator.

That said, I would expect that she'll continue to do some work. At the very least, the tournaments close to home: Indian Wells and the women's "West Coast Swing" (Stanford, LA, San Diego) in the summer. And, probably other events that she wants to do for whatever reason.

Fee
03-31-2009, 08:28 AM
Lindsay doesn't sound like Corina, Corina's voice is much more nasally and a slightly higher pitch. I like Lindsay's commentary, she's low key and informative without intruding on the match. I hope she comes back to the booth again and would love for the Tennis Channel to get her for the USO but I think they blew the entire budget on Connors.

boredone3456
03-31-2009, 09:05 AM
The bottom line for me was that I found myself really listening to her commentary, instead of trying to tune her out. She really did break down the match and shots very well and gave insightful explanations. Like I said.. I was listening.. :-). I enjoyed her work. Maybe ESPN will take notice..

Exactly...I didn't mute the commentary like I do whenever Carillo is in the booth. I hope ESPN and FSN take notice and use her in the future, she is good.

Nuke
03-31-2009, 09:38 AM
Lindsay seems to enjoy the tennis scene, even when she's not playing . . .
Davenport always looked to me like she was in pain while playing. I never got the impression that she enjoyed her time on the court, although I know you can't always read a person's mind by the expression on their face. She looks a lot more comfortable on camera now as a commentator than she did as a player.

oy vey
03-31-2009, 02:08 PM
Davenport is OK...they just need to get rid of Gimelslob.

cknobman
04-01-2009, 05:40 AM
Davenport while lacking a little personality is already better than most of the other announcers.

Best attribute about her is that she dosnt run her mouth nonstop and talk about hypothetical bullsnot and constantly make asinine comparisons unlike most of the other commentators.

tacou
04-01-2009, 08:03 AM
not anything spectacular, but she knows what he's saying and doesn't talk too much.

Djokovicfan4life
04-01-2009, 08:06 AM
I respect any commentator who's willing to stay on topic, that being the match at hand. I can't stand when I'm watching something like Gulbis/Djokovic and suddenly they need to talk about Federer vs. Nadal, the fall of S & V, these "new" strings, etc.

Davenport does this fairly well, so she's OK in my book. However, if I have to hear "case in point!!!!!!!!", or a botched pronunciation of "mercilessly" one more time from Gimelstob...........

"Thus far Nadal has dealt with his opponents mercificilifully........... CASE IN POOOOIIIIIINNNTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason Goodall and Robbie Koenig get full marks in this department. My personal favorites.

TheTruth
04-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Lindsay doesn't sound like Corina, Corina's voice is much more nasally and a slightly higher pitch. I like Lindsay's commentary, she's low key and informative without intruding on the match. I hope she comes back to the booth again and would love for the Tennis Channel to get her for the USO but I think they blew the entire budget on Connors.

I agree. I think Lindsay is fantastic! She doesn't intrude on the match (what a lovely way of putting it), is fair to the players, and gives some interesting analysis. Since she's one of my all time favorites it works very well for me.

FEDEXP
04-01-2009, 11:13 PM
She's been just ok in Miami but any air time that doesn't include Gimmelstob is quite a gift.

Puma
04-02-2009, 05:48 AM
I respect any commentator who's willing to stay on topic, that being the match at hand. I can't stand when I'm watching something like Gulbis/Djokovic and suddenly they need to talk about Federer vs. Nadal, the fall of S & V, these "new" strings, etc.

Davenport does this fairly well, so she's OK in my book. However, if I have to hear "case in point!!!!!!!!", or a botched pronunciation of "mercilessly" one more time from Gimelstob...........

"Thus far Nadal has dealt with his opponents mercificilifully........... CASE IN POOOOIIIIIINNNTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason Goodall and Robbie Koenig get full marks in this department. My personal favorites.

I aggree 100%. Gimbleboy just wont' shut up. I keep hoping he will stub his toe again and be gone forever.

His little performance with the Actress girl in the booth was embarassing. He needed to towel off after that session. Gees what a slobbering hound?

I could go another whole life time without hearing "Stenth" .

CCSurf
04-02-2009, 07:58 AM
I feel sorry that she has to work with Gimelstob.