PDA

View Full Version : wooden racket showdown

mental midget
03-31-2009, 04:46 PM
between, say, current atp/blackrock masters participants. give 'em all a few days to get used to it.

who shines/wins the tournament? who flames out badly?

a few contenders in my book:

- roger
- pete
- edberg
- stich

NLBwell
03-31-2009, 06:01 PM
Whoever is the best player of the participants. The racket wouldn't matter much after a couple of days.

deltox
03-31-2009, 06:20 PM
Nadal and Roddick would probably bomb with wooden racquets

davydenko and federer would prob do the best

isnt fed's stick about a 7 year old design as it is?

CyBorg
03-31-2009, 06:51 PM
With the strings of old, I would think that Federer and Davydenko, if anything, would have some trouble. They take the ball early and like to go for the corners.

Conversely Nadal would play a bit like Borg and get everything back in play. With some degree of success I bet.

Of course, these are just guesses. Not a single player today has a game designed for past technology. They wouldn't be able to keep the ball in play with that kind of shoulder rotation. Would take some adjusting and could quite possibly be damaging physically.

For example, you wouldn't ask a pitcher to alter his delivery from overhand to submarine and not expect serious trouble. This is one of the reasons why, I think, you don't see even a single exhibition with wood. Too much of an adjustment, and detriments to rhythm. I know some pros did fool around with wood and later complained of arm and shoulder soreness.

djsiva
03-31-2009, 06:53 PM
I think Jimmy Arias would beat them all right now if you would do it today.

He still in his forties I think and he used a wooden racquet on the pro tour.

T1000
03-31-2009, 06:55 PM
john mcenroe beats them all

Blinkism
03-31-2009, 09:50 PM
Radek Stepanek.

He's a man out of time!

deltox
03-31-2009, 09:53 PM
Conversely Nadal would play a bit like Borg and get everything back in play. With some degree of success I bet.

i made my guesstimation due to the fact that nadal plays with so much spin and wooden racquets didnt produce nearly as much. secondly he plays with a babolat, which is a hi-tech weapon in todays tennis.

jimbo333
04-01-2009, 02:06 AM
With the strings of old, I would think that Federer and Davydenko, if anything, would have some trouble. They take the ball early and like to go for the corners.

Of course, these are just guesses. Not a single player today has a game designed for past technology. They wouldn't be able to keep the ball in play with that kind of shoulder rotation. Would take some adjusting and could quite possibly be damaging physically.

For example, you wouldn't ask a pitcher to alter his delivery from overhand to submarine and not expect serious trouble. This is one of the reasons why, I think, you don't see even a single exhibition with wood. Too much of an adjustment, and detriments to rhythm. I know some pros did fool around with wood and later complained of arm and shoulder soreness.

Nadal would struggle. He has a different swing to Borg, he would have to change it completely with a wooden racquet, and may not be anywhere near as effective. Also he couldn't stay deep behind the baseline, like he does now. Borg was a genius. Borg at his best against Nadal with a wooden racquet (yeah I know all hypothetical), Borg would win:):)

CyBorg
04-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Nadal would struggle. He has a different swing to Borg, he would have to change it completely with a wooden racquet, and may not be anywhere near as effective. Also he couldn't stay deep behind the baseline, like he does now. Borg was a genius. Borg at his best against Nadal with a wooden racquet (yeah I know all hypothetical), Borg would win:):)

Borg stayed very deep behind the baseline. Deeper on the return than Nadal.

And of course Nadal has a different swing. Everyone does. The use racquets that allow them to hit to the moon.