PDA

View Full Version : Federer: "my talent"

Federer_pilon
04-01-2009, 03:50 PM
http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/3/en/assets/pdfs/interviews/federer033109.pdf

I am no Federer hater but I was reading this interview and I didn't like how he was referring to "his talent". We all know that he's one of the greatest. He obviously is very talented but I don't think he has to point it out like that....

Q. When you've had so much success against one player like Andy Roddick, does it give you the confidence that when you're in a tight game that you have what it takes to beat that player? You have a mental edge?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, it helps having a great record. Then again, you saw last year. Doesn't really help you that much sometimes. I think on the big occasions I just have that extra gear that not many players have.
So I feel like that's an advantage, because of my talent, because of my experience....

bladepdb
04-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Yeah I think Federer has really lost major points in my book because I always considered him a great sport and an ambassador to the game. But lately, he's been a little arrogant of himself ever since he became #2. It's great to have the drive to be #1 again but there' a fine line one crosses between having a "drive"/"motivation" and arrogance. That and the fact taht he has downplayed some of his opponents achievements lately...*cough*Nadal@AOpost-matchinterview

VivalaVida
04-01-2009, 03:54 PM
Wow he doesn't hesitate does he? :shock:

Federer_pilon
04-01-2009, 03:58 PM
I guess he is really bitter that he's #2 now, so he feels the need to remind people how good he is. We can see how good you are...you don't need to tell us that -.-

veroniquem
04-01-2009, 03:59 PM
We all know Federer has a high opinion of himself. What's funny is that he attracts same minded fans. "Quiet, genius at work" is the most pretentious sign I've ever seen in the stands. Same as "you are the real # 1" or "you are the #1 forever". Federer and his fans go well together, humility is not their strong point :)

norbac
04-01-2009, 04:01 PM
It's true though, other than the Masters and smaller tournaments, Nadal and Federer are the only ones who can really step it up at the Slams no matter of the other results. They have that extra gear.

Vin2
it's all mind games... he wants to get the mental edge that he used to have over other players... it's just nadal & murray are not buying it.

T1000
its easy to be nice when you win all the time. roger starts losing and bam he thinks hes the best and everyone should bow down to him

Federer_pilon
04-01-2009, 04:05 PM
It's true though, other than the Masters and smaller tournaments, Nadal and Federer are the only ones who can really step it up at the Slams no matter of the other results. They have that extra gear.

Yeah but he can be humble about it. He doesn't have to go and tell everyone how good he is.

Serve_Ace
04-01-2009, 04:06 PM
I think he's just being frank and honest I really admire that, not all the players can be that honest.

icedevil0289
04-01-2009, 04:07 PM
We all know Federer has a high opinion of himself. What's funny is that he attracts same minded fans. "Quiet, genius at work" is the most pretentious sign I've ever seen in the stands. Same as "you are the real # 1" or "you are the #1 forever". Federer and his fans go well together, humility is not their strong point :)

Okay, one thing to think fed has no humility, but to judge all his fans is ridiculous imo.

aimr75
04-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Okay, one thing to think fed has no humility, but to judge all his fans is ridiculous imo.

yes, there are always a couple in the crowd that makes all federer fans look bad.. most can just appreciate the tennis without the stupid signs

veroniquem
04-01-2009, 04:12 PM
The fans that made those signs anyway...

T1000
04-01-2009, 04:13 PM

Fed fans > Nadal fans
They arent obsessed and they are openminded

icedevil0289
04-01-2009, 04:15 PM
The fans that made those signs anyway...

Still you don't know them to say they lack humility. I can understand how you could say that about fed, but because someone holds up sign saying "Quiet Genius at work" really is not a reflection of character. As far as the no.1 forever goes, you could say some fans lack a sense of reality.

Serve_Ace
04-01-2009, 04:16 PM
What about that rowdy Madrid crowd that Berdych had to shush? They were Nadal fans, they must have been pretty rude for Berdych to have to shush them

icedevil0289
04-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Fed fans > Nadal fans

Lol, I wouldn't exactly say that. I mean some fed fans can be obnoxious, but its annoying to group all of them together. Anyways, I know I'm going to get kicked for this, but I don't see anything wrong with this statement. It is true. His talent and experience do help him in slams. He and nadal have that extra gear. I mean I know Fed has said quite a few arrogant things in the past, things I disagreed with, but I don't see what he said that was so wrong. Sometimes I think people hold fed to a different and higher standard.

veroniquem
04-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Fed fans > Nadal fans
Are you saying Fed fans are superior to other fans? Exactly my point about the lack of humility.

icedevil0289
04-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Are you saying Fed fans are superior to other fans? Exactly my point about the lack of humility.

He's not even even a fed fan.

gj011
04-01-2009, 04:22 PM
This is yet another arrogant statement from Federer. Nothing new.

EtePras
04-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Federer fans are the most delusional of fans, except for maybe Sampras fans. They even make YouTube videos that question the idea of Federer's backhand being a weakness. Also the outlandish statements about Federer having a top 50 serve/backhand?

Serve_Ace
04-01-2009, 04:23 PM

No man he's just being honest like Uncle Toni! I admire Roger to be able to speak his mind!

icedevil0289
04-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Federer fans are the most delusional of fans, except for maybe Sampras fans. They even make YouTube videos that question the idea of Federer's backhand being a weakness. Also the outlandish statements about Federer having a top 50 serve/backhand?

I don't know about his backhand, but I think he's got a pretty good serve. Although lately it has been M.I.A.

veroniquem
04-01-2009, 04:26 PM
No man he's just being honest like Uncle Toni! I admire Roger to be able to speak his mind!
Toni wasn't talking about himself. There is a big difference between being honest and bragging.

T1000
04-01-2009, 04:27 PM
He's not even even a fed fan.

Hewitt fans have a lack of humilty now:)

Serve_Ace
04-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Toni wasn't talking about himself. There is a big difference between being honest and bragging.

Nope Federer isn't bragging, he does have that extra gear, how do you think he won 13 grand slams? It's not like he said that he was the only one with that extra gear, re-read it over and over again. It is true because of his talent he won those 13 slams, so he can't make those impossible shots? He didn't say he had more talent than others. As a teacher, do you teach your students reading comprehension?

federerdomination
04-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Well he does have "talent" and is arguably one of the most talented players of all time.

icedevil0289
Nope Federer isn't bragging, he does have that extra gear, how do you think he won 13 grand slams? It's not like he said that he was the only one with that extra gear, re-read it over and over again. Is it it true? Because of his talent he won those 13 slams, so he can't make those impossible shots? He didn't say he had more talent than others. As a teacher, do you teach your students reading comprehension?

All his opponents were either tired or choked against him.

GameSampras
Fed's new clothing line, "Arrogance."

Well whatever that "extra gear" is it doesnt work against the best in the game, Nadal.

He should shut up let actions speak louder than his rhetoric. Maybe he wouldnt get hassled so much

federerdomination
04-01-2009, 04:32 PM

omg more excuses

Ok then. Fed choked against Nadal at the AO. That means Nadal's AO doesn't count anymore.

Serve_Ace
04-01-2009, 04:32 PM

OH! Of course I should have known, silly me. Haha

icedevil0289
04-01-2009, 04:33 PM
omg more excuses

Ok then. Fed choked against Nadal at the AO. That means Nadal's AO doesn't count anymore.

I was being sarcastic.

T1000
04-01-2009, 04:34 PM
you cant say someone choked and thats why someone won a grandslam. then every loser choked it away. no more grandslams for everyone. everybody wins

icedevil0289
04-01-2009, 04:34 PM

Well whatever that "extra gear" is it doesnt work against the best in the game, Nadal.

He should shut up let actions speak louder than his rhetoric. Maybe he wouldnt get hassled so much

Did he say he was the only one who had that extra gear?

Serve_Ace
04-01-2009, 04:36 PM

Ever took Physics? For every action there is a reaction, obviously Nadal also has that extra gear to react to Federer triggering his extra gear and it just so happens Nadal's extra gear is better.

GameSampras
you cant say someone choked and thats why someone won a grandslam. then every loser choked it away. no more grandslams for everyone. everybody wins

Fed's lost to Nadal too many times in the slams and overrall to make believe its all a "choke."

I think the "mental toughness" issue with Fed is a bit overblown when it comes to Nadal. Its not Nadal's mental toughness... Its his GAME that gives Fed all kinds of problems. Im sure there are some mental aspects to it. But its mostly Nadal being a nightmare matchup for Roger. Always has been. And now that Nadal has hit his "peak-prime." the matchup problem is rearing its head on all surfaces now. Not just clay

veroniquem
Nope Federer isn't bragging, he does have that extra gear, how do you think he won 13 grand slams? It's not like he said that he was the only one with that extra gear, re-read it over and over again. It is true because of his talent he won those 13 slams, so he can't make those impossible shots? He didn't say he had more talent than others. As a teacher, do you teach your students reading comprehension?
To speak of oneself in a self congratulatory way is bragging and Fed doesn't win his matches vs Roddick because of his "exceptional talent" but because Roddick's game plays to Federer's strengths. It's called a good matchup (or a bad one from Roddick's point of view). A lot of people who are very talented tennis players don't go around marveling at how talented they are. That goes for other great personalities, not just tennis players.

GameSampras
04-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Ever took Physics? For every action there is a reaction, obviously Nadal also has that extra gear to react to Federer triggering his extra gear and it just so happens Nadal's extra gear is better.

Alright.. Well... Its no excuse for Fed not to be working on his game. Especially that BH when it comes to Nadal

icedevil0289
04-01-2009, 04:38 PM
To speak of oneself in a self congratulatory way is bragging and Fed doesn't win his matches vs Roddick because of his "exceptional talent" but because Roddick's game plays to Federer's strengths. It's called a good matchup (or a bad one from Roddick's point of view). A lot of people who are very talented tennis players don't go around marveling at how talented they are. That goes for other great personalities, not just tennis players.

So in that case nadal doesn't win his matches against fed because of his talent, but because he is a bad match up right?

Grizvok
04-01-2009, 04:39 PM

Coming from the same guy who was just saying the exact opposite 5 minutes ago?

Funny.

wilsondude
04-01-2009, 04:40 PM

I am no Federer hater but I was reading this interview and I didn't like how he was referring to "his talent". We all know that he's one of the greatest. He obviously is very talented but I don't think he has to point it out like that....

What are you saying? I COMPLETELY disagree with you on this. Federer has every right to talk about his talent because he has the results and ranking to back it up. Obviously he is going to say that he has some tools that many other players don't have, because those many other players havent reached 13 slams like Fed, and haven't been number one for a few years in a row.

GameSampras
04-01-2009, 04:42 PM
What are you saying? I COMPLETELY disagree with you on this. Federer has every right to talk about his talent because he has the results and ranking to back it up. Obviously he is going to say that he has some tools that many other players don't have, because those many other players havent reached 13 slams like Fed, and haven't been number one for a few years in a row.

I dont think Fed should be running his trap AS MUCH as he does until he can overcome the Nadal issue. While he has been one of the most dominant. He hasnt been dominant over his rival.

Serve_Ace
04-01-2009, 04:42 PM

98% of the most talented players didn't dominate for 4.5 years. To talk about about oneself in that way is having self confidence not bragging. Bragging would be oh be saying "I'm more talented than everyone else in the game, I have that extra gear to win slams everyone else who hasn't won one sucks." That's bragging. But Federer won his match against Murray in a grand slam, because he had that extra gear to kick in when it matter the most, wonder why he didn't do it in IW? Roger didn't find that there was a need to use that extra gear.

Serve_Ace
04-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Alright.. Well... Its no excuse for Fed not to be working on his game. Especially that BH when it comes to Nadal

That is true, his BH tends to break down when playing Nadal and his topspin.

icedevil0289
04-01-2009, 04:45 PM
That is true, his BH tends to break down when playing Nadal and his topspin.

Yeah I agree. He should be taking some lessons from wawrinka and gasquet. They don't seem to be as bothered by nadal and his topspin.

Serve_Ace
04-01-2009, 04:45 PM
So in that case nadal doesn't win his matches against fed because of his talent, but because he is a bad match up right?

Exactly! 10 chars

Serve_Ace
04-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Yeah I agree. He should be taking some lessons from wawrinka and gasquet. They don't seem to be as bothered by nadal and his topspin.

Maybe instinctively Roger just doesn't like to hit those high backhands because it feels unnatural to him? Gasquet and Wawrinka seem to fit a OHBH better.

veroniquem
04-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Nadal wins because of hard work and determination, I'm sure he also has a lot of talent but he doesn't go around drawing people's attention to it. His focus is on constantly improving and it obviously works better than Fed's tactic of complimenting himself while changing nothing to his game when things don't work on the court.

sargeinaz
04-01-2009, 04:49 PM
He's stating the obvious. If Shaq says he is tall, is he being arrogant?

icedevil0289
04-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Maybe instinctively Roger just doesn't like to hit those high backhands because it feels unnatural to him? Gasquet and Wawrinka seem to fit a OHBH better.

Someone mentioned earlier that the way fed holds his backhand is technically not the right way. I'm not really sure about this. Btw, I have seen his practice pictures. He does pratice his backhand a lot. I've seen pictures of him with a 2HBH. My goodness does he look akward with it.

GameSampras
04-01-2009, 04:50 PM

Shaq's the GOAT:). No greater dominant center than Shaq circa 00-02. :) Except Wilt. But he was playing against white farm midgets in the 60s

okdude1992
04-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Fed fans > Nadal fans

actually i think its the other way around. but there are definately extremist fans on both sides.
anyway to the OP, yes since federer began being challenged consistently by first nadal then djokovic and murray game he hes become increasingly arrogant and his game has suffered imo. he needs to be more hungry to win rather than feel entitled. i hope he can get it together and challenge nadal because otherwise rafa could start dominating... and its always nice to have a variety of champions

federerdomination
04-01-2009, 04:53 PM

Lol. Good example

Serve_Ace
04-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Someone mentioned earlier that the way fed holds his backhand is technically not the right way. I'm not really sure about this. Btw, I have seen his practice pictures. He does pratice his backhand a lot. I've seen pictures of him with a 2HBH. My goodness does he look akward with it.

Haha, did they say how does Roger grip the racket? Maybe his cause his grip causes the racket face to be more closed..? LOL! Yeah with the 2HBH he doesn't look at natural.

veroniquem
04-01-2009, 04:56 PM
98% of the most talented players didn't dominate for 4.5 years. To talk about about oneself in that way is having self confidence not bragging. Bragging would be oh be saying "I'm more talented than everyone else in the game, I have that extra gear to win slams everyone else who hasn't won one sucks." That's bragging. But Federer won his match against Murray in a grand slam, because he had that extra gear to kick in when it matter the most, wonder why he didn't do it in IW? Roger didn't find that there was a need to use that extra gear.
"I'm more talented than everyone else", that's exactly what he said, he said he has an extra gear that not many players have and that he wins because of his talent, that's exactly saying that one is better than the others (where are your reading comprehension skills?). If I say I'm the most intelligent person on the planet, it really doesn't matter if I'm Einstein and whether it's true or not. If I talk this way about myself, it's arrogant, period. Other people should be the ones to tell him about his talent. Gloating about it has no merit whatsoever.

seffina
04-01-2009, 05:00 PM
I find nothing wrong with Federer being self aware regarding his abilities. He didn't attribute his success against Andy to JUST his talent, did he? He said it was also his experience. And then he acknowledges that it doesn't always work out. That talent or experience doesn't mean much during a certain point during the match. It's a long interview. And a fantastic one at that. There's a lot of great analysis of his personal game there. Is Roger confident? Yes. He is confident. He believes he can beat anyone. He believes he can win grand slams. He believes he can be number one again.

I don't really see what's wrong with that. I don't think the whole meek shall inherit the earth thing works in tennis.

I can understand one not liking the self assured style. I can also see how one might take it as arrogance not confidence. But personally I don't see it as arrogant, just someone who knows himself and believes in himself.

icedevil0289
04-01-2009, 05:00 PM
]"I'm more talented than everyone else"[/B], that's exactly what he said, he said he has an extra gear that not many players have and that he wins because of his talent, that's exactly saying that one is better than the others (where are your reading comprehension skills?). If I say I'm the most intelligent person on the planet, it really doesn't matter if I'm Einstein and whether it's true or not. If I talk this way about myself, it's arrogant, period. Other people should be the ones to tell him about his talent. Gloating about it has no merit whatsoever.

Umm, he said that that he has that extra gear that not many players have and that he wins based on his talent and experience. That does not exactly translate into "Im more talented than everyone else."

seffina
04-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Umm, he said that that he has that extra gear that not many players have and that he wins based on his talent and experience. That does not exactly translate into "Im more talented than everyone else."Exactly, he said "many" not a gear no one has. Also, he said my talent. Does anyone deny that he has talent? Wouldn't it be stupid to say he doesn't have talent? Him having talent does not mean others do not have talent.

icedevil0289
04-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Haha, did they say how does Roger grip the racket? Maybe his cause his grip causes the racket face to be more closed..? LOL! Yeah with the 2HBH he doesn't look at natural.

"Federer's backhand is technically wrong. Wawrinka's is not. A backhand shouldn't be hit by dropping the wrist and turning it up again. But that's what Federer does.
It's as simple as that! There's no way to handle a heavy topspin on a consistent basis by making such a basic error"

This is what someone said in the other thread about why wawrinka was able to handle nadal's topspin to his backhand.

Serve_Ace
04-01-2009, 05:06 PM
"I'm more talented than everyone else", that's exactly what he said, he said he has an extra gear that not many players have and that he wins because of his talent, that's exactly saying that one is better than the others (where are your reading comprehension skills?). If I say I'm the most intelligent person on the planet, it really doesn't matter if I'm Einstein and whether it's true or not. If I talk this way about myself, it's arrogant, period. Other people should be the ones to tell him about his talent. Gloating about it has no merit whatsoever.

My reading comprehension skills seem to be at a high level than yours, It's true he has that extra gear because of his talent AND experience, he is dominating the whole tour except for two people. I'll say what I said to GameSampras. In physics...For every action there is a reaction, obviously when Roger plays against Nadal or Murry he can kick in that extra gear, but lets not forget Nadal and Murry also have an extra gear which at the moment is better than Roger's. If you say you're the most intelligent person in the world that is a different scenario, Roger DIDN'T say he was the ONLY person in the world with that extra gear, and he DIDN'T say he was more talented than everyone else.

Mansewerz
04-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Fed needs to hold back a bit.

Serve_Ace
04-01-2009, 05:09 PM
"Federer's backhand is technically wrong. Wawrinka's is not. A backhand shouldn't be hit by dropping the wrist and turning it up again. But that's what Federer does.
It's as simple as that! There's no way to handle a heavy topspin on a consistent basis by making such a basic error"

This is what someone said in the other thread about why wawrinka was able to handle nadal's topspin to his backhand.

Ohh, Roger is to wristy on those high BHs.

VivalaVida
04-01-2009, 05:12 PM
I think fed is being honest. What he said is nothing but the honest truth but I think he should know by now that for many people, especially his critics, there is a very thin line between being honest and arrogant

icedevil0289
04-01-2009, 05:14 PM
I think fed is being honest. What he said is nothing but the honest truth but I think he should know by now that for many people, especially his critics, there is a very thin line between being honest and arrogant

I agree. While I think there is nothing wrong with what he said, he probably hold back a bit.

Hot Sauce
04-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Don't blow this out of proportion.

He put talent and experience together as "extra gear".

What I think he means by this is that he's been where other players have not. He's played so much and he had been on top for so long that he feels prepared for anything, and he feels that is an advantage.

That's what it seems like to me. Or maybe he's just a cocky *** motha! Either way hes a very talented player, and he even brought up last year where he lost and said "or maybe it doesn't help".

edmondsm
04-01-2009, 05:34 PM

Ouch. Generalize much?

Hot Sauce
04-01-2009, 05:36 PM

Aiya! I always knew you were a Nadal fan, but don't fall into the dark side. Don't leap at every occasion (and I mean every) to bash Federer, and twist every truth to favour Nadal.

Don't do it.

edmondsm
04-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Nadal wins because of hard work and determination, I'm sure he also has a lot of talent but he doesn't go around drawing people's attention to it. His focus is on constantly improving and it obviously works better than Fed's tactic of complimenting himself while changing nothing to his game when things don't work on the court.

Nadal is a lot younger then Federer and hasn't been on top as long. We'll see how Nadal's humility is doing after he's had people like you kissing his *** for a few years.

Hot Sauce
04-01-2009, 05:39 PM
^Ugh, I didn't see that post. veroniquem is officially a *******.

Josherer
04-01-2009, 05:45 PM
I don't get the little war going on between only Fed fans and only Nadal fans.

Both are such great players who have done so much for the sport and imo neither have any significant qualities that people can really hate.

Yet so much shiiit about either of them is said from different fan groups.

VivalaVida
04-01-2009, 05:46 PM
^Ugh, I didn't see that post. veroniquem is officially a *******.
you have been on the board for so long and you just noticed? :)

Roy Hobbs
04-01-2009, 05:47 PM
For better or worse, Fed projects a regal air. For a good stretch, he was the best in the world at what he does, and he cultivated a certain image. I can see how it would rub some the wrong way. I think he's comfortable and actually objective when discussing his talent. He knows he's a freak of nature. To put on a more humble reg'lar-guy persona would be false.

On another note, I think it's possible to be both a Fed fan and a Rafa fan. Great tennis is great tennis. No need to diminish one in order to support the other.

Serve_Ace
04-01-2009, 05:55 PM
For better or worse, Fed projects a regal air. For a good stretch, he was the best in the world at what he does, and he cultivated a certain image. I can see how it would rub some the wrong way. I think he's comfortable and actually objective when discussing his talent. He knows he's a freak of nature. To put on a more humble reg'lar-guy persona would be false.

On another note, I think it's possible to be both a Fed fan and a Rafa fan. Great tennis is great tennis. No need to diminish one in order to support the other.

Thanks Roy that's how I feel, it feels like on this forum it's black or its white you're a Federer fan or a Nadal fan...

helloworld
04-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Many of his fans are that way, but not all of them. There's always an exception to everything.

TheNatural
04-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Roger has been spending too many hours reading the forums at roger federer dot com

rubberduckies
04-01-2009, 06:50 PM
Federer is a great player, but he is, and has always been, a horribly arrogant and egotistical person.

He has been making these types of comments for his entire career, but during his reign 04-06, when every frontrunner fan was flocking to Fed's camp, nobody would ever call him on those comments.

The good thing about being a Nadal fan is that the only even remotely arrogant comment we have ever had to deal with was him saying that Gilles Simon was able to beat him even when he was in control of the match. It was probably meant to complement Simon, but he came across wrong.

It's really pathetic to see *******s not only defending his behavior but actually applauding it.

hoodjem
04-01-2009, 06:52 PM
All the hype has gone to his head.

Fed is too good to play tennis. He should do something else.

edmondsm
04-01-2009, 06:56 PM

Great post, great user name.

VivalaVida
04-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Federer is a great player, but he is, and has always been, a horribly arrogant and egotistical person.

He has been making these types of comments for his entire career, but during his reign 04-06, when every frontrunner fan was flocking to Fed's camp, nobody would ever call him on those comments.

The good thing about being a Nadal fan is that the only even remotely arrogant comment we have ever had to deal with was him saying that Gilles Simon was able to beat him even when he was in control of the match. It was probably meant to complement Simon, but he came across wrong.

It's really pathetic to see *******s not only defending his behavior but actually applauding it.

Its actually more pathetic to see *********s hug nadals balls as if he is the perfect guy. Admit it, you dont know crap about nadal or federer as a person? Some people are like watch professional tennis FOR tennis not anything else. These are tennis players not politicians. I could care less if people label federer 'arrogant" by one sentence in an interview. You better start coming up with something more convincing because the current evidence is just BS.

Hot Sauce
04-01-2009, 07:26 PM
you have been on the board for so long and you just noticed? :)

Haha, yeah. I sometimes take massive breaks away from this section of the forum, because it can get completely full of fanboy crap. I love logical tennis talk, but when people like one player so much that they lose all rational thinking, it's just not worth trying to talk to them.

Tennis_Maestro
04-01-2009, 07:49 PM
All hes doing is being modest, oh no wait, can;t do that, lets all be like mr diplomatic and politically correct Nadal.

Lets give bland answers and not state our true feelings.

Whenever a tennis player has a personality fans hate it.

Djokovic
Roddick
Federer
Murray

I'm not saying it should be like WWE, but for *bleep*s sake, let them be who they are.

NotSoSuper
04-01-2009, 07:51 PM
its not like hes bragging.

If he was saying i deserve to be No.1 because of my talent, then that would be strange.

But this is understandable.

dwhiteside
04-01-2009, 08:00 PM
If Nadal said "I'm talented at tennis" would we be upset?

DarthFed
04-01-2009, 08:02 PM
wow..now he can't even acknowledge what the tennis world knows already

So some of you are saying he can't have talent? this is ****ing disgusting if someone told me i wasn't allowed to say i draw well i'd be ****ed the **** off

Hop of feds Johnson some of you are on it too much it needs to dry

Phil
04-01-2009, 08:06 PM
True. There is nothing factually incorrect in Federer's statement quoted by the OP. Why is being HONEST always considered "arrogant"? Why have we reached a point when athletes are looked on as "classy" only if they spew out the same old time-worn cliches and bland false modesty. The guy's (still) great...what's wrong with him SAYING SO? Everyone else has...

SourStraws
04-01-2009, 08:07 PM
wow..now he can't even acknowledge what the tennis world knows already

So some of you are saying he can't have talent? this is ****ing disgusting if someone told me i wasn't allowed to say i draw well i'd be ****ed the **** off

Hop of feds Johnson some of you are on it too much it needs to dry

Seriously.... Im a fan of both.... But the over-analyzing of each quote a certain player says is ridiculous... Fed does have the extra gear players dont have.... So did Sampras, Laver and all the other greats in addition to Nadal imo.... Don't chastise just because he answers honestly and is aware of his gifts..... It's not that serious...

S.S.

raiden031
04-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Well Nadal annoys me unlike Federer because I feel like he is overly humble and it seems like BS to me. When Nadal speaks I don't expect to hear the truth, but I expect to hear undeserved praise for his opponents. With Federer at least I expect to hear how he really sees it.

Why even have interviews if you are only allowed to say pleasant, predictable statements that will not offend anyone?

luckyboy1300
04-01-2009, 08:28 PM
True. There is nothing factually incorrect in Federer's statement quoted by the OP. Why is being HONEST always considered "arrogant"? Why have we reached a point when athletes are looked on as "classy" only if they spew out the same old time-worn cliches and bland false modesty. The guy's (still) great...what's wrong with him SAYING SO? Everyone else has...

Arrogance:

1. Any conduct, behavior, way of saying things, etc. NOT done in Rafael Nadal's way.

tudwell
04-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Humility's overrated.

kraggy
04-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Yeah , when I saw those post match comments, I was like , "Aah Fed !" . But I have heard so many similar comments from Fed that it wasn't really a shocker to me.

But here is my 2 cents on the issue.

1) Is Fed vain? ABSOLUTELY yes. But I can guarantee you that 9/10 people in Fed's shoes would be ! Try being the absolute best at something for a sustained period of time and see how hard it will be to not become vain /have an ego! Its goddamn tough! It's human nature. I UNDERSTAND why Fed is the way he is.

2) Which is why Nadal is SUPER HUMAN. He knows he is the best, yet he can show modesty , give others credit, he doesn't downplay anyone. There is absolutely nothing wrong in believing you are the best. In fact it is extremely important to be very proud of yourself. But there is a difference between believing you are the best and saying you are the best! Which is what makes Nadal special. There are many personality traits that make a person endearing. Humility is one of them, and its something I respect a lot. That's why I am a Nadal fan and not a Fed fan.

TheTruth
04-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Federer is a great player, but he is, and has always been, a horribly arrogant and egotistical person. He has been making these types of comments for his entire career, but during his reign 04-06, when every frontrunner fan was flocking to Fed's camp, nobody would ever call him on those comments.

You are spot on. What's really funny is how Fed can say these things because they're true, but when Djokovic said the guys were catching up to him, he was ostracized. Did Djokovic not speak the truth? Of course, and therein lies the double standard.

Mansewerz
04-01-2009, 09:00 PM
You are spot on. What's really funny is how Fed can say these things because they're true, but when Djokovic said the guys were catching up to him, he was ostracized. Did Djokovic not speak the truth? Of course, and therein lies the double standard.

Djokovic was a little more blunt about his stuff. The "I was in control" comment was priceless.

Regardless, I hope Novak gets back into good form. I, of course, hope Federer puts the beatdown on him Friday, but he's a great player. It sucks seeing him in this slump.

icedevil0289
04-01-2009, 09:05 PM

I didn't see anything wrong with djokovic's comment. He was telling the truth as well. I admire people for their honesty.

kraggy
04-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Humility's overrated.

Agreed, but honesty is overrated too . At least honesty from the 'speaking your mind' perspective. Fed 'speaking his mind' is hardly something you could call admirable! I won't chastise him for it, because I know that he's just that kind of person. But to call it admirable is ludicrous. A nice analogy (taken a bit to the extreme) would be racism. There are still many silently racist people out there. I guess instead of being quiet they should all speak openly about the races they hate. And then we must applaud them for their honesty!

It's one thing to express your opinion when it can create an impact/positive value for society, its another thing to be honest just for the sake of being honest even if your words have a negative impact.

TheTruth
04-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Djokovic was a little more blunt about his stuff. The "I was in control" comment was priceless.

Regardless, I hope Novak gets back into good form. I, of course, hope Federer puts the beatdown on him Friday, but he's a great player. It sucks seeing him in this slump.

No one is more blunt than Federer.

I hope Djoker gets out of his slump too, but of course we're on opposite ends again. I'm hoping for a Djoker beatdown on Fed.

TheTruth
04-01-2009, 09:17 PM
I didn't see anything wrong with djokovic's comment. He was telling the truth as well. I admire people for their honesty.

I didn't see anything wrong with Djoker's comments either, but he was totally vilefied on this board, why do you think they put out that thread about does anyone like Djokovic last week?

icedevil0289
04-01-2009, 09:20 PM
I didn't see anything wrong with Djoker's comments either, but he was totally vilefied on this board, why do you think they put out that thread about does anyone like Djokovic last week?

I wonder how many fans actually like both nole and fed. I feel like their fans hate each other but I actually think they have more in common. Both can be blunt, roger more than nole, and both have been getting it from the media lately, perhaps nole more. Both have attacking type games expect lately djokovic has become very pusher like which is annoying.

TheTruth
04-01-2009, 09:24 PM
I wonder how many fans actually like both nole and fed. I feel like their fans hate each other but I actually think they have more in common. Both can be blunt, roger more than nole, and both have been getting it from the media lately, perhaps nole more. Both have attacking type games expect lately djokovic has become very pusher like which is annoying.

Now that you mention it...that is odd. I'm sure there are some, you just don't hear about it around here.

What do you mean by pusher? I keep hearing people say that, but I don't get it.

Federer_pilon
04-01-2009, 09:25 PM

If a hot chick tells you "Look at me, I'm hot", she's being honest. Do people applaud her or call her a vain b*tch?

DarthFed
04-01-2009, 09:27 PM
If a hot chick tells you "Look at me, I'm hot", she's being honest. Do people applaud her or call her a vain b*tch?

I applaud her, that kind of confidence is attractive to me

also @Icedevil and the Truth

Fed Nole fan right here :)

gj011
04-01-2009, 09:28 PM

If she is really hot, I would applaud her, but for different reasons than darthfed :)

Good analogy.

gj011
04-01-2009, 09:30 PM
The Truth is speaking the truth again. Djokovic was bashed for days here for that comment about younger guys catching up with Federer.

icedevil0289
04-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Now that you mention it...that is odd. I'm sure there are some, you just don't hear about it around here.

What do you mean by pusher? I keep hearing people say that, but I don't get it.

just sort of pushing the ball into play and waiting for the other person to make an error. Atleast that is what I think it means.

TheTruth
04-01-2009, 09:31 PM

Very nice. I'm sure there's more. I can't help liking him either. He seems like a real fun guy.

icedevil0289
04-01-2009, 09:32 PM
The Truth is speaking the truth again. Djokovic was bashed for days here for that comment about younger guys catching up with Federer.

Oh I wasn't here back then so don't know how bad it was. I'm sorry he was bashed. He shouldn't have been.

icedevil0289
04-01-2009, 09:33 PM

Expect I hope nole goes back to how he used to play a year ago. More of the attacking type game.

Federer_pilon
04-01-2009, 09:34 PM

lol I guess we're not the same. It would find it a turn-off. I like hot girls who are confident about their looks and can be humble at the same time :P She doesn't have to tell me how hot she is for me to notice lol

DarthFed
04-01-2009, 09:38 PM
You see..the thing about me is i like people who speak their mind, the same goes for how i pick my girls, i like them to be confident none of this "do i look fat" ""is my hair okay" uh uh not me

Also my definition of arrogant is different, for me it's only arrogant if you haven't the ability to back it up, if you posses said ability then you are just proclaiming the truth...the problem is people don't like the truth it's the only thing that makes humans really upset

Djoker said young guns are catching up...this was true (simon,nadal, murray, all under 25 giving fed trouble) so Fed responded negatively this is just an example though

Nole can hardly be called arrogant if anything he's too damn passive i want my fire powering trash talking serb who used to do awesome imitations in the locker room

Josherer
04-01-2009, 10:03 PM
FED'S DONE THOUSANDS OF INTERVIEWS THROUGHOUT HIS CAREER.

Says one wrong thing and BAM!!!

Everyones all over him in a heart beat

orangettecoleman
04-01-2009, 10:05 PM
hehe, he tells the truth. the reason he has a pile of slams is because he has that extra gear, that champion gear. i doubt anyone on the tour would deny that. where is it written in stone that heroes have to be humble?

OTMPut
04-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Even if you think Federer is arrogant, he has earned the right to be so. As simple as that. Deal with it.

The guy worked hard for it, he spent time to learn and understand the game. He has every right to say what he said.

Chopin
04-01-2009, 10:15 PM

Do you think Djokovic will get a set off him in the semis?

devila
04-01-2009, 10:27 PM
This is why Federer is too stupid and personality-less to tolerate.
His self-infatuation and ignorance are worse than Hewitt and Djokovic's naivete. Roddick knows that he's a drama queen against umpires, but nothing kills tennis more than Federer's ugliness.

The Feddesperate ones know he'll
pray for early death vs. Nadal, at least 5 times this year.
They bark about Rodd losing 150000 times because
they rarely acknowledge that Federer was lucky after facing
Roddick's bad muscle flexibility and weakening strength (2001-2006).
Roddick ran poorly and refused to be aggressive
while he had 3 match points in 2006.

He won Kooyong, but Federer laughed at his face on TV. Roddick collapsed in the 2007 US Open (Fed had no break point chance until
Roddick totally exhausted himself & bashed the ball mindlessly in the 3rd set).

I bet the media and Fed fans are still
fondling themselves like Nadal lost the Hamburg match against Federer.
Fed can still go on ESPN to talk about his "uncocky, normal personality" and great success vs. Roddick.
It still doesn't make him a better human being than Roddick and Nadal.

dextor
04-01-2009, 10:37 PM
I think Fed is somewhat, sometimes, arrogant in his remarks. Most of the time when listening to him speak it seems pretty normal, but then he says this one thing and you kind of think, "what? really? you'd say that?" But, I think Pete was kind of the same way, both have said they've "dominated the sport".

devila
04-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Even if you think Federer is arrogant, he has earned the right to be so. As simple as that. Deal with it.

The guy worked hard for it, he spent time to learn and understand the game. He has every right to say what he said.
If Roddick, Sampras and Nadal acted like they had no weakness in their game and pretend they only made a few off-court errors, you wouldn't defend them.

What do you say:
If opponents screamed at Federer after a line call challenge,
yelled "be quiet" at the family and fan in the crowd...
If they accused Federer's supporter of cheating in a match.

Hypocrite.

edmondsm
04-01-2009, 10:45 PM

Please. There are plenty of reasons to dislike Djokovic. Let's not forget the retirements, the injury timeouts, and oh God......the impressions.

Jesus, another thread about Federer being arrogant, and a Djokovic fan acting trotted upon. This has been over done people, is there really nothing better to talk about?

devila
04-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Roddick threw away many years and can't recover from his self-abuse and physical breakdown. He spent years lusting after loser hos like Mandy Moore and vacuous model girlfriends. His head to head records looked worse than his true intelligence level, if you follow his behavior and interviews.

Nadal and Federer, with all respect, really lived for tennis.
Roddick never wanted more than money donations, love from the US media, Davis Cup organizers and his parents. He's not a very strong physical presense. You can't blame it all on him; his genetics are cruel, even though he's more devilishly charismatic and handsome than Federer and Nadal combined. In the end, I'm not a big fan, but Nadal's more dignified than Roddick and Federer.

edmondsm
04-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Roddick threw away many years and can't recover from his self-abuse and physical breakdown. He spent years lusting after loser hos like Mandy Moore and vacuous model girlfriends. His head to head records looked worse than his true intelligence level, if you follow his behavior and interviews.

Nadal and Federer, with all respect, really lived for tennis.
Roddick never wanted more than money donations, love from the US media, Davis Cup organizers and his parents. He's not a very strong physical presense. You can't blame it all on him; his genetics are cruel, even though he's more devilishly charismatic and handsome than Federer and Nadal combined. In the end, I'm not a big fan, but Nadal's more dignified than Roddick and Federer.

I must say. You couldn't be more wrong about Roddick's commitment to tennis. Roddick puts in just as much work if not more than anyone else. You can crucify him for who he dated, but that's just not fair, the man can live his life. You are kind of correct about his genetics, he obviously wasn't built for tennis like Federer and Nadal were, but come on, "not a strong physical presense?" The guy is ripped and brings the biggest serve in the game. Genetics let him down, but it was in the movement catagory, not size and strength.

FD3S
04-01-2009, 11:21 PM
I must say. You couldn't be more wrong about Roddick's commitment to tennis. Roddick puts in just as much work if not more than anyone else. You can crucify him for who he dated, but that's just not fair, the man can live his life. You are kind of correct about his genetics, he obviously wasn't built for tennis like Federer and Nadal were, but come on, "not a strong physical presense?" The guy is ripped and brings the biggest serve in the game. Genetics let him down, but it was in the movement catagory, not size and strength.

IIRC, Roddick was actually a three-sport athlete in high school (tennis, baseball, basketball) and he was damn good at all three. Seems like he was built more as an athletic all-rounder as opposed to tennis player.

edmondsm
04-01-2009, 11:24 PM
IIRC, Roddick was actually a three-sport athlete in high school (tennis, baseball, basketball) and he was damn good at all three. Seems like he was built more as an athletic all-rounder as opposed to tennis player.

Nadal and Federer were both phenomenal youth soccer prospects.

devila
04-01-2009, 11:35 PM
If you say you're the most intelligent person in the world that is a different scenario, Roger DIDN'T say he was the ONLY person in the world with that extra gear, and he DIDN'T say he was more talented than everyone else.
2005- "I enjoy playing Andy. Not because I beat him." He pushed Roddick on the back, like he didn't want Roddick to feel offended.
Mary Carillo sucked Federer's butt, so she didn't mind talking to him.

After losing the Australian Open with more whining about mononucleosis,
Federer claimed, "I'm supposed to win every tournament" "I created a monster".
In 2007, he said "Andy's a great guy." (like he needed to remind us in the Australian Open.)

- "Andy's a great server. Gasquet's great," Fed added.
Don't even pretend that Federer's humble and always honest.

Roddick's not as stupid as Federer made him look. Same unlikeable Fed with an unstellar intellectual level.

devila
04-01-2009, 11:54 PM
Nadal and Federer were both phenomenal youth soccer prospects.
Yes, but Roddick's height still didn't give him muscle strength and tendin flexibility. His stiff back muscles weighed him down like a sack of potatoes.
Running is the main strength you need.
He can't run forward to the net without sweating and straining.
That's why his overheads and dropshots are made with him slightly off-balanced.
I'm surprised that he won the doubles match in IW.

Nadal moves very easily forward, with his lower center of gravity. He's not so heavy-boned.

Federer has no problem with muscle stretching, but his strategizing is not very good against Nadal, Murray and some clay players like Monfils, Costa, and even Ruben Ramirez.

Roddick with Federer's flexible muscles and thinner bones, would have at least 7-10 Slams..... with media respect.

devila
04-02-2009, 12:06 AM
He played leisure basketball with Mardy Fish, but he didn't do much else in high school. His strength was his humor on TV shows and interviews. He's not very strong with athletic skills because no one else in his family is. His brother John never lasted in tennis, but it didn't stop Roddick's mother from driving them to play in every American tournament. His older brother swimmed and dived, but that's not a running sport.

OTMPut
04-02-2009, 12:15 AM
If Roddick, Sampras and Nadal acted like they had no weakness in their game Hypocrite.

where did this hypothetical case come from?
how does it in any way bolster the argument that Federer is not allowed to say that he has talent and that he has a bit extra?

devila
04-02-2009, 12:36 AM
Before he lost to Murray, every match to Nadal, lost to 3 Americans and almost lost to Ginepri, Federer said "I don't need to change my game. I don't need to add extra movement."

No one changed what he said and believed. Fed was upset that Djokovic wanted to be number 1 and beat him, without constantly calling Fed the best of all time (Roddick called Federer the unbeatable Swiss Sampras and Greatest Ever... until Nadal shut up Roddick. That's why Roddick continues choking and will retire within 2 years.).

mandy01
04-02-2009, 01:36 AM
Arrogance:

1. Any conduct, behavior, way of saying things, etc. NOT done in Rafael Nadal's way.
LOOOOL Priceless! :lol: I cant believe people consider this statement as arrogant.I'm glad Roger has the ability to speak his mind.I hate political correctness .In all honesty I do not always agree with him.But that dosent define him as arrogant.Atleast his pressers are interesting since he dosent talk like a parrot.

mandy01
04-02-2009, 01:45 AM
You are spot on. What's really funny is how Fed can say these things because they're true, but when Djokovic said the guys were catching up to him, he was ostracized. Did Djokovic not speak the truth? Of course, and therein lies the double standard. I agree with you.Djokovic was certainly being honest.However,he didn't do much to back it up.Roger did not say this when he had one slam.Also,he spoke about his experience not just talent.But on the whole I agree with you.Novak shouldnt have been trashed.Whatever the case,he's entitled to his opinion and certainly in a better position to make such remarks than the keyboard experts here who think they'd be wonders of heaven in his place :lol:

velkov
04-02-2009, 01:55 AM
this is very very arrogant statement from Federer. with such behavior he is loosing some vanity i guess !!

The-Champ
04-02-2009, 01:55 AM
Regarding Fed's self-aggrandizing comment, Wilander would probably say: "If only his balls were as big as his ego....he'd probably become the greatest EVER"

P_Agony
04-02-2009, 02:42 AM

Fed fans aren't better than Nadal fans. In this specific board however, Fed fans ARE much better, as they do not enter every single thread to troll. I've yet to see a Fed fan who's trolling. In the Nadal camp, I've got so many names it's pathetic.

TennisandMusic
04-02-2009, 02:49 AM
Fed fans aren't better than Nadal fans. In this specific board however, Fed fans ARE much better, as they do not enter every single thread to troll. I've yet to see a Fed fan who's trolling. In the Nadal camp, I've got so many names it's pathetic.

You joined in 2008 though. This board has been far far worse if you've been reading since 2004 or so. I agree some of the Nadal fans are getting quite obnoxious with the gloating and stuff but it's been worse. A LOT worse.

It seems that when a new number 1 comes on board, there are going to be bandwagoners who like to make things miserable for the folks who just walk to you know..."talk tennis."

mandy01
04-02-2009, 02:54 AM
While I disagree with you that only Nadal fans troll in this forum ..its true that Federer gets bashed for every little thing by the Nadal fans and I fail to understand what purpose it serves.
However that dosent mean Fed fans are better than Nadal fans.To each his own
About that genius banner-I dont see whats wrong with it.Just like everything Rafa does is gold dust for his fans,Fed fans think Roger's a genius.Big deal.Also they consider Roger as their no 1 player-nothing wrong with that banner either..To each his own! If the Rafa fans see everything he does through rose-tinted glasses even Fed fans are allowed to do that.
So ,I dont see what the issue is.Neither group is better than the other.That shouldnt even be an argument.

P_Agony
04-02-2009, 03:04 AM
You joined in 2008 though. This board has been far far worse if you've been reading since 2004 or so. I agree some of the Nadal fans are getting quite obnoxious with the gloating and stuff but it's been worse. A LOT worse.

It seems that when a new number 1 comes on board, there are going to be bandwagoners who like to make things miserable for the folks who just walk to you know..."talk tennis."

True, I have been here only since 2008, and thus I can only comment about the present. I cannot fix the past, and I cannot speak for anyone but myself. That is why I think twice before I post something, so some fans won't be offended by it. I try to be objective as I can, even if it's hard at times. The thing is, when all the Nadal fans come and troll in a Federer vs. Roddick match thread, it's just sad and pathetic. They come to ruin it for everybody else, and in the last few days it's really getting out of control. I just don't understand how some of them aren't banned at the moment.

Colpo
04-02-2009, 03:05 AM
His ego's long been as big as his game. If you doubt that, just ask him.

P_Agony
04-02-2009, 03:07 AM
While I disagree with you that only Nadal fans troll in this forum ..its true that Federer gets bashed for every little thing by the Nadal fans and I fail to understand what purpose it serves.
However that dosent mean Fed fans are better than Nadal fans.To each his own
About that genius banner-I dont see whats wrong with it.Just like everything Rafa does is gold dust for his fans,Fed fans think Roger's a genius.Big deal.Also they consider Roger as their no 1 player-nothing wrong with that banner either..To each his own! If the Rafa fans see everything he does through rose-tinted glasses even Fed fans are allowed to do that.
So ,I dont see what the issue is.Neither group is better than the other.That shouldnt even be an argument.

In this specific forum at present day, the Federer fans are tons better than the Nadal group. Please show me an example of a trolling by Federer fans in Nadal threads. I can give you mant opposite examples.

Josherer
04-02-2009, 03:18 AM
enough of this thread.

vtmike
04-02-2009, 04:21 AM
Federer is not arrogant. He can be blunt in his interviews but I think that stems from setting himself high standards because of what he has acheived in the past, not from thinking he is better than he really is. Still, sometimes his behaviour can be sour but who cares, if you want to watch a soap opera and pretend these guys are all a*sh*oles then watch Hollyoaks; this is a sport.

DarthFed
04-02-2009, 05:36 AM
Federer is not arrogant. He can be bratty on court but I think that stems from setting himself high standards because of what he has acheived in the past, not from thinking he is better than he really is. Still, sometimes his behaviour can be sour but who cares, if you want to watch a soap opera and pretend these guys are all a*sh*oles then watch Hollyoaks; this is a sport.

Is he really bratty on court?

Rarely (if ever i can't recall) argues with umps
Serves at a quick pace (unlike some)
Never really see him throwing off the servers pace
Rarely see him toss his racket

And there's some obnoxious person calling him stupid...how can you adamantly assess the intelligence of someone you've never shared the same air with is beyond me :roll:

icedevil0289
04-02-2009, 05:38 AM
Is he really bratty on court?

Rarely (if ever i can't recall) argues with umps
Serves at a quick pace (unlike some)
Never really see him throwing off the servers pace
Rarely see him toss his racket

And there's some obnoxious person calling him stupid...how can you adamantly assess the intelligence of someone you've never shared the same air with is beyond me :roll:

Bratty oncourt behavior would be roddick. Fed is actually I think one of the best oncourt, expect for minor moments like at the wimbledon 2007 or something. He rarely argues with the umpire and in general is one of the most fair players oncourt. I think it would have been better to say off court.

mandy01
04-02-2009, 05:46 AM
Bratty oncourt behavior would be roddick. Fed is actually I think one of the best oncourt, expect for minor moments like at the wimbledon 2007 or something. He rarely argues with the umpire and in general is one of the most fair players oncourt. I think it would have been better to say off court. brat is the wrong word in the first place.Blunt-maybe.

cknobman
04-02-2009, 05:53 AM

Look whos talking.

You come on here with your backhanded comments and sly remarks and yet still feel you are superior to anyone who dosnt back Nadal.

QFT

vtmike
04-02-2009, 06:08 AM
brat is the wrong word in the first place.Blunt-maybe.

Ok I stand corrected...blunt is the word I should've used...fixed it :)

Gen
04-02-2009, 06:16 AM
Asked what he would advise an opponent if he were coaching him to play against him, Federer laughed: "Don’t even try, pal. No, it’s going to be really, really difficult, you know. You’re probably not going to win, but you can always try."
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/19/sports/tennis/19tennis.html?fta=y

So maybe I can put everything together very quickly. I'm a great decision maker. Especially maybe in breakers when the pressure is on I can stay cool. Maybe that's paid off over the last couple years.
http://www.bnpparibasopen.org/4/players/interviews/2009/federer316.asp

It's always been like this. Even in my young days, you know, as a junior, I was always so talented. Back then I didn't work hard enough yet to put it all together, you know, for, I don't know, let's say six games or, you know, two sets or something.
Now I can. Now I can even pull it even through even longer and against the best in the world.
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=46707

I had more of an issue with myself, you know, getting myself back in shape for the last year. That's been my problem, not really Rafa or Andy or Djokovic, or you name it. Those comes naturally if I play well that I can beat these guys.
http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/3/en/as ... 033109.pdf

In Federer's mind, Nadal is the only other player on the planet who has earned the right to be treated as a true champion.
http://tennisworld.typepad.com/string_theory/2009/01/remember-me-im.html

No, of course he isn't arrogant. He thrives in his honesty.

DarthFed
04-02-2009, 06:25 AM
You really spent that time to dig up quotes? nothing better to do i see...

mandy01
04-02-2009, 06:26 AM
Asked what he would advise an opponent if he were coaching him to play against him, Federer laughed: "Don’t even try, pal. No, it’s going to be really, really difficult, you know. You’re probably not going to win, but you can always try."
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/19/sports/tennis/19tennis.html?fta=y

So maybe I can put everything together very quickly. I'm a great decision maker. Especially maybe in breakers when the pressure is on I can stay cool. Maybe that's paid off over the last couple years.
http://www.bnpparibasopen.org/4/players/interviews/2009/federer316.asp

It's always been like this. Even in my young days, you know, as a junior, I was always so talented. Back then I didn't work hard enough yet to put it all together, you know, for, I don't know, let's say six games or, you know, two sets or something.
Now I can. Now I can even pull it even through even longer and against the best in the world.
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=46707

I had more of an issue with myself, you know, getting myself back in shape for the last year. That's been my problem, not really Rafa or Andy or Djokovic, or you name it. Those comes naturally if I play well that I can beat these guys.
http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/3/en/as ... 033109.pdf

In Federer's mind, Nadal is the only other player on the planet who has earned the right to be treated as a true champion.
http://tennisworld.typepad.com/string_theory/2009/01/remember-me-im.html

No, of course he isn't arrogant. He thrives in his honesty.

The first one was clearly a joke.Its so obvious.
second & third-he said it like it was
third-His game has been suffering for a long while.I dont necessarily agree with him about Rafa and the rest not causing problems,but he's just too inconsistent these days and its true
Fifth-yes,obviously.Nothing wrong with that

But no-thats soooooo arrogant-He should follow theTHE RAFA STANDARD OF BEHAVIOUR since Rafito is the standard measure for humility and his fans are epitome of class...yeah right..:roll:

vtmike
04-02-2009, 06:32 AM
third-His game has been suffering for a long while.I dont necessarily agree with him about Rafa and the rest not causing problems,but he's just too inconsistent these days and its true

But no-thats soooooo arrogant-He should follow theTHE RAFA SHANDARD OF BEHAVIOUR since Rafito is the standard measure for humility and his fans and epitome of class...yeah right..:roll:

I agree with your comments...He must have really spent a lot of time digging up those quotes

DarthFed
04-02-2009, 06:32 AM

But no-thats soooooo arrogant-He should follow theTHE RAFA SHANDARD OF BEHAVIOUR since Rafito is the standard measure for humility and his fans and epitome of class...yeah right..:roll:

Didn't you know O_O?

Nadal cured cancer..twice :)
Died and rose 1 day quicker than christ
made a bigger part in the sea moses
Heals the blind by picking his ***
RAN on water as opposed to walk
And he gives Obama political advice in between change overs O_O

Gen
04-02-2009, 06:54 AM

Oh yeah? From the thread next door (where you are also writing, but of course you see only the things that you want to see):

DarthFed
shut up....>_>
Anyways, he can't win RG unless nadal isn't in the final (assuming fed makes it there) that his his only chance, that freak of nature will possibly have an even better RG than last year.

Trolls names? No problem:
Manservez, Gorecky, Vive le something, Oui c'est moi, and dozens of others. I'll make a collection and provide you with an exhaustive list next time this subject is discussed.

Gen
04-02-2009, 06:57 AM
I agree with your comments...He must have really spent a lot of time digging up those quotes

No, I haven't. I collect "nice" words in the world of tennis, as well as unusual articles and pics. And since I don't waste so much time blabbering in these boards, I have a big and well-organized collection which provides me with the appropriate information.

P_Agony
04-02-2009, 07:27 AM
Oh yeah? From the thread next door (where you are also writing, but of course you see only the things that you want to see):

DarthFed
shut up....>_>
Anyways, he can't win RG unless nadal isn't in the final (assuming fed makes it there) that his his only chance, that freak of nature will possibly have an even better RG than last year.

Trolls names? No problem:
Manservez, Gorecky, Vive le something, Oui c'est moi, and dozens of others. I'll make a collection and provide you with an exhaustive list next time this subject is discussed.

1) How is the bolded trolling? Maybe I don't get the post, care to explain the trolling there? Unless you mean the freak of nature stuff, which seems to me more like a complement than anything else. Nadal IS a freak of nature in a good way. He's able to stay fit for so long, he barely gets tired, and he plays a very consistent tennis.

2) This list tells me nothing if you don't bring any proof. There is plenty of proof for the *******s though (and all the examples are just from one thread!):

"Yeah the lesser of the two evils is how I see it. Not a fan of either player." - thalivest

"You know your serve sucks when you are up 40-love on your service game and you still lose serve AND you lose it on a double fault!

Roddick doesn't need to break Federer. Roddick just needs to be patient, because headcase Fed will break himself! HAHAHAHA!" - Nadal-GOAT

"Fed's back must be bothering him again. " - Nadal_Freak in pure trolling

"Two losers, one of which will lose to another loser, Djoko, who in turn will lose to the greatest champion of all, Rafa." - sick trolling here from Nadal-GOAT

"Maybe the mono is back... " - Bud, in reply to Nadal's Freak post.

"Federer is sweating, so it must be mono.

Normally, he lacks sweat glands and is immune to heat and humidity and physical exertion." - rubberduckies, which is IMO the worst poster on this forum (and has tough competition).

When icedevil0289 asked "what is up with fed today?" Nadal-GOAT quicky replied "It's called sucking."

Need more examples? you haven't even seen half of it.

And all these quotes are from a thread which was supposed to be enjoyable for Roddick and Federer fans. When a play-by-play thread turns into something like the above, you know something is wrong. Now let's go the Nadal's play-by-play threads and find some trolling from me and my fellow Federer fans. I dare you.

Note that there is nothing wrong with wanting someone to lose. There were many perfectly fine posts by some of the guys I named, they clearly wanted Fed to lose which is legitimate, just as I want Nadal to lose no matter who he plays. So please refer to pure trolling and not opinions.

CCSurf
04-02-2009, 07:34 AM
Wow, this is a new and interesting thread; I'm so glad I visited.

CCNM
04-02-2009, 08:02 AM

I've been to his website-those people (mostly women) are crazy!!!!

mandy01
04-02-2009, 08:08 AM
I've been to his website-those people (mostly women) are crazy!!!!They're crazy in the sense they love Roger dearly .Dosent mean there's anything wrong with those banners.Also Nadal fans need to have a look at themselves first.

joeri888
04-02-2009, 08:10 AM

The Guy IS a genious with a tennis raquet, there's nothing pretentious about that.. He's hit shots, nobody can even think about in his life, and the fact that some people are in love with him has got nothing to do with him being arrogant. Federer having a high opinion of himself got him to the top of the rankings as well.. You think Nadal, Murray and Djokovic aren't always confident in themselves?

It's just a guy who knows what he can do, and KNOWS how talented he is. You know what would be cocky? if this guy, Roger Federer, one of the best players ever, owner of 13 grandslam titles, said he wasn't extremely talented at all.. because then he would humiliate all the people he's beaten even more.. Talent is something you're born with, in which he in fact deserves NO CREDIT AT ALL! When he would say: "I just work harder then everybody else, and that's why they are losing and I'm winning" THAT would be cocky. This is just like stating grass is green.. he's speaking the truth and some can't handle it.

You probably puke as well if Nadal in a sentence would use the fact that he's the best player in the world right now?

mandy01
04-02-2009, 08:12 AM
The Guy IS a genious with a tennis raquet, there's nothing pretentious about that.. He's hit shots, nobody can even think about in his life, and the fact that some people are in love with him has got nothing to do with him being arrogant. Federer having a high opinion of himself got him to the top of the rankings as well.. You think Nadal, Murray and Djokovic aren't always confident in themselves?

It's just a guy who knows what he can do, and KNOWS how talented he is. You know what would be cocky? if this guy, Roger Federer, one of the best players ever, owner of 13 grandslam titles, said he wasn't extremely talented at all.. because then he would humiliate all the people he's beaten even more.. Talent is something you're born with, in which he in fact deserves NO CREDIT AT ALL! When he would say: "I just work harder then everybody else, and that's why they are losing and I'm winning" THAT would be cocky. This is just like stating grass is green.. he's speaking the truth and some can't handle it.

You probably puke as well if Nadal in a sentence would use the fact that he's the best player in the world right now?
Classic post..10 chars

Lotto
04-02-2009, 08:16 AM

Sorta like Djokovics parents at the start of the year last year eh?

"There's a new king in town" or something like that :rolleyes:

thejoe
04-02-2009, 08:21 AM
^"The king is dead, long live the king" I think it was.

shanker
04-02-2009, 08:24 AM

Maybe it was lost in translation. Perhaps he was thinking in French or Swiss-German and simp0ly said it in English. I did find the statement a bit arrogant and offputting.

Greg

tahiti
04-02-2009, 08:52 AM

That's the biggest load of nonsense I've heard in a while.
The board gets better and better the more I have on my ignore list :)
Quality posts only left over to read.

DarthFed
04-02-2009, 08:56 AM

You mean quality jesusraf worship right :roll:

tahiti
04-02-2009, 08:58 AM
You mean quality jesusraf worship right :roll:

You're quite mistaken, but look at your name Darth Fed. Doesn't it say enough?

icedevil0289
04-02-2009, 08:59 AM

are quality posts the only posts that praise rafa. I get the feeling you just put people who don't like rafa the same way you do on your ignore list.

icedevil0289
04-02-2009, 09:00 AM

what does that mean? It only says he likes fed, nothing more. Seriously, you are beginning to get more and more annoying. I'm sorry, that's just how I feel. I have a feeling I'm going to be on your ignore list as well.

catfish2424
04-02-2009, 09:04 AM
No one is better than fed, he is the best, he is in a slump, even the best go into slumps look at tiger back in 02, plus Rodger was sick last year, and may be injured

DarthFed
04-02-2009, 09:10 AM

If i didn't have Fed in my user name you wouldn't be able to tell my favorite player >_>

I hardly post in his match threads, Im usually in the threads of my other favorite players like Murray,verdasco, Gulbis, Monfils,Djokovic,Tsonga, you know...the other players in the ATP that get shunned :roll:

CCNM
04-02-2009, 09:15 AM
They're crazy in the sense they love Roger dearly .Dosent mean there's anything wrong with those banners.Also Nadal fans need to have a look at themselves first.
True. and I must admit I like the Genius AT Work sign.

joeri888
04-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Someone in this thread said Fed has that extra gear but could be humble about it: Indeed, he COULD. He's been a million times, and he said it not to brag about it, just in a sentence, to say this one was different than the AO. There's nothing dramatic about this comment and it's a real shame that people who call themselves TENNISFANS, have to use everything Roger Federer says against him, instead of being proud and happy you have been able to watch him play, because one day you'll realise what a great sportsman he was. Same goes with Nadal.. I don't like his tennis as much as Federer's, but he's one of the greats, not yet as great as Federer, but still great. You gotta admire those people for their tennis, and if you don't like what they say before or afterwards you shouldn't watch or read press conferences, cause the tennis is just scary beautiful and is what it's ALL about.

joeri888
04-02-2009, 09:17 AM
True. and I must admit I like the Genius AT Work sign.

That's because it's creative, a very big compliment towards Federer, but Funny as well.. anyone who thinks that sign is really serious and proof that Fed fans are obsessive arrogant lunatics, is really really shortsighted.

thejoe
04-02-2009, 09:18 AM

You are trying to generalise? Lets have a go with you then, shall we?

Typical pretentious, ambiguous, meaningless quote in the sig? Check
Superior attitude? Check
Condemning others for trivial issues, whilst hailing Rafa as a deity, despite the fact he does the same things? Check

Accurate?

Bottom line, Federer is a real talent, and I know that I would much rather listen to someone speak their mind than say essentially nothing of worth, and even that is sugarcoated.

moonbat
04-02-2009, 09:20 AM
I'm not a fan of Fed, but I find this particular comment of his to be nothing to post nine pages about.

edmondsm
04-02-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm not a fan of Fed, but I find this particular comment of his to be nothing to post nine pages about.

*******s and Novaktards doing their usual good work.

mandy01
04-02-2009, 09:23 AM
That's because it's creative, a very big compliment towards Federer, but Funny as well.. anyone who thinks that sign is really serious and proof that Fed fans are obsessive arrogant lunatics, is really really shortsighted.
I agree.Its OK to not like a player even personality-wise.Sometimes we just cant relate to certain players.But the way some people talk here.:roll:....and the funny thing is-they cant stand a word against their fav players.Double standards.

icedevil0289
04-02-2009, 09:24 AM
I agree.Its OK to not like a player even personality-wise.Sometimes we just cant relate to certain players.But the way some people talk here.:roll:....and the funny thing is-they cant stand a word against their fav players.Double standards.

100% agree. Say something negative and its automatically omg, your being disrespecftul or oh, you're going on my ignore list.

Serve_Ace
04-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Exactly.....you should hear some of the excuses I heard before from them in an Uncle Toni interview, Toni can be honest because he is a coach! And Federer can't be honest because he is a tennis player. That was so ridiculous.

drakulie
04-02-2009, 09:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4jUGufaJek

joeri888
04-02-2009, 09:36 AM

This is exactly the level of some.. Just zooming in on an imperfection of a player, because their tennis is scary nearperfect over the years.

Serve_Ace
04-02-2009, 09:37 AM

Hahaha! 300 FPS!!

DarthFed
04-02-2009, 09:44 AM

Drak....you are made of win

@ edmondsm
Are there any Novaktards...hell i can only think of one die hard Novak fan other than myself (gjo11) and he's not really that bad

A few fans is okay, a few worshipers is tolerable but when it get to the point where there are swarms of worshipers....you get the snake ridden hell known as the general pro player discussion board

More time is spent discussing quotes than the players themselves

drakulie
04-02-2009, 09:49 AM
This is exactly the level of some.. Just zooming in on an imperfection of a player, because their tennis is scary nearperfect over the years.

Glad Rafa and I could be of service to you. He does the picking and I do the clicking (on the camera).

Tennis_Bum
04-02-2009, 09:58 AM

I think you are talking out of your *** again. Just because Fed made a comment about his skills, talent, whatever you want to put it. Don't assume his fans talk as he does. That is pure stupidity. Fans like tennis players who play well but are not responsible for what those tennis players say or do off the courts.

Don't be confused with the two. It's all depend on how you look at things. Fed perhaps just say those things as a strategy but I am not going to going into a Freudian trip and dig out his mind at that point in time. I am not responsible for what Fed says, I simply like to what his tennis when he play well. If he plays crappy tennis, I will be the first to say it. No sugarcoat from me. But don't make blanketed statement about all Fed's fans are arrogant, etc. That's just stupid.

drakulie
04-02-2009, 10:24 AM
I think you are talking out of your *** again. Just because Fed made a comment about his skills, talent, whatever you want to put it. Don't assume his fans talk as he does. That is pure stupidity. Fans like tennis players who play well but are not responsible for what those tennis players say or do off the courts.

Don't be confused with the two. It's all depend on how you look at things. Fed perhaps just say those things as a strategy but I am not going to going into a Freudian trip and dig out his mind at that point in time. I am not responsible for what Fed says, I simply like to what his tennis when he play well. If he plays crappy tennis, I will be the first to say it. No sugarcoat from me. But don't make blanketed statement about all Fed's fans are arrogant, etc. That's just stupid.

Parts in bold sum up all of her posts.

catfish2424
04-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Wow no need for the language, it doesn't matter anyway I could beat fed any day he is really in a slump and pretty sure you could win a game off him

DarthFed
04-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Wow no need for the language, it doesn't matter anyway I could beat fed any day he is really in a slump and pretty sure you could win a game off him

Do you REALLY think you can beat Roger Federer?:twisted:

Underhand
04-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Parts in bold sum up all of her posts.

Says the biggest *******.

TheTruth
04-02-2009, 08:02 PM
just sort of pushing the ball into play and waiting for the other person to make an error. Atleast that is what I think it means.

Thanks. I thought that's what they meant too, but in that case, no one fits the bill. I see people calling Simon and Murray pushers, but to me they hit with no pace, pace, angles, etc. Sounds like the word pusher really can't be applied to anyone on the pro tour.

TheTruth
04-02-2009, 08:17 PM

And that's the absolute truth. That ignore function is awesome. Pretty soon I'll have a page two.

icedevil0289
04-02-2009, 08:23 PM
And that's the absolute truth. That ignore function is awesome. Pretty soon I'll have a page two.

whoa that many people. Damn. :)

veroniquem
04-02-2009, 08:25 PM

The issue is not about whether Federer is talented but why he has to constantly remind us of it himself instead of letting other people make that comment. I don't know of any other players (past or present) who come up with statements like "I'm so talented" about themselves. It seems to me that attitude is quite unique to Fed.

veroniquem
04-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Look whos talking.

You come on here with your backhanded comments and sly remarks and yet still feel you are superior to anyone who dosnt back Nadal.

QFT
My comments are anything but backhanded. On the opposite, they're extremely direct.

veroniquem
04-02-2009, 08:35 PM
They're crazy in the sense they love Roger dearly .Dosent mean there's anything wrong with those banners.Also Nadal fans need to have a look at themselves first.
I didn't say there was anything "wrong" with them, I just said they were more pretentious than the usual banners that say "come on X" or "we love you X" or "X country is with X". Someone else commented that they were more "creative" and I guess that's another way to look at them.

Lendl and Federer Fan
04-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Not aim at anyone particularly,
but call, interpret, or slant it whatever you want, I would call it confidence in himself. :)

fednad
04-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Good thread.
Fed fans agaisnt Nadal trolls, Sampras trolls, Djoker trolls......good thread

chrisdaniel
04-03-2009, 12:14 AM
I am like Federer, I know I am a good singer. I have been singing since before I could talk correctly. Although I rarely share that info. I usually just let people tell me. Why? People will think I am full of it. I am a little, and it helps me, which helps my live performance. Not to the point where I am blindly kidding myself. I work very hard as well. The difference, Fed is at the top of the game, I am not at the top of the music industry. If I was, and if I ever get there, I can make a promise I would probably say something similar to what Roger said but in music terms. I mean after years of interviews? These kinda comments happen with people like Fed. So in the end, to some it's the truth and to others its arrogance. Big deal, I still like Federer. It doesn't make him a bad guy to say these things.

ttbrowne
04-03-2009, 06:32 AM
In defense of Fed, I'll guess he gets slammed with that "Is your game slipping?" "Any reason why you haven't been able to win the big one?" at EVERY news conference. I'd get tired of it too.
The fact is...Fed does have another gear he switches to in the big matches. Not everytime but often eunf to get him where he is today and that is mentioned as the GOAT.

King of Aces
04-03-2009, 07:06 AM
Let us consult the TTW dictionary

With this dictionary, I just tried to summarize some TTW's popular opinions, it's not like I'm expressing my own opinions here.

Of course this is an Open Source dictionary, so feel free to make your own additions if you want to.

Now let’s start with some basic concepts:

Talent:
~noun
1. A quality that allows a player to being better than the rest, despite the number of matches which that player doesn’t win. [i.e: “Pete Sampras won 14 slams but Jean Luc Rodriguez-Hillbilly (sorry, who?) had insane loads of talent”]
2. Ability of making smooth-motioned and good-looking shots, no matter if a high percentage of those shots happens to send the ball to the parking lot.

Talented player:
~noun
1. Favourite player (of a specific TTW poster) who doesn’t win as much as that specific TTW poster would like to, but he’s still better than the rest.
2. Favourite player (of a specific TTW poster) who once did beat a big name, so he proved his superiority for ever and never and that won’t change no matter how many bagels he eats from big names in the future.

tahiti
04-03-2009, 09:13 AM
are quality posts the only posts that praise rafa. I get the feeling you just put people who don't like rafa the same way you do on your ignore list.

Again you are mistaken. Go to my profile and see my ignore list. It doesn't matter who they support. If they write silly posts, with allegations substantiated on absolutely not a shred of evidence, making rash stupid statements and or are insulting to any poster or player, they make my list. They imo demonstrate a complete lack of common sense and intelligence and make their posts worthless in my eyes. You have managed so far to avoid my list though I will admit you have been close. :)

icedevil0289
04-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Again you are mistaken. Go to my profile and see my ignore list. It doesn't matter who they support. If they write silly posts, with allegations substantiated on absolutely not a shred of evidence, making rash stupid statements and or are insulting to any poster or player, they make my list. They imo demonstrate a complete lack of common sense and intelligence and make their posts worthless in my eyes. You have managed so far to avoid my list though I will admit you have been close. :)

No offense, but this was one of your statements. Was that not insulting the poster? Regardless of what the poster says, I think its ridiculous and a bit judgemental to say look at your username, doesn't that say enough. Don't you think? Frankly, I'm okay if I get on your ignore list. I mean I try my best to be reasonable, but I'm human and I have my moments.

illkhiboy
04-06-2009, 04:13 AM
"Playing against me is probably not so easy," Nadal says in a rare departure from modesty. "Luckily, I'll never have to do it."

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1104583/index.htm?eref=sisf

Is Nadal arrogant?

mandy01
04-06-2009, 04:35 AM
"Playing against me is probably not so easy," Nadal says in a rare departure from modesty. "Luckily, I'll never have to do it."

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1104583/index.htm?eref=sisf

Is Nadal arrogant?
start a thread :lol:

mandy01
04-06-2009, 04:38 AM

No offense, but this was one of your statements. Was that not insulting the poster? Regardless of what the poster says, I think its ridiculous and a bit judgemental to say look at your username, doesn't that say enough. Don't you think? Frankly, I'm okay if I get on your ignore list. I mean I try my best to be reasonable, but I'm human and I have my moments. LOL..I got on her ignore list for making a simple joke. She says she dosent like people getting personal and goes around calling others 'jerks' :lol: But I gotta say its fun getting into someone's ignore list.Amazing how people can go into someone's head on an internet forum :lol:

illkhiboy
04-06-2009, 04:59 AM
start a thread :lol:

Hmm, tempting. Just to see how the Nadal-Freaks will come and counter it lol.

Ocean Drive
04-06-2009, 04:59 AM
FedERER has always said stuff like that, so its not new, I think its funny. It's true as well, so no problem in it.

maximo
04-06-2009, 05:04 AM
Federer: My talent is braking racquet's into smithereens.

Ocean Drive
04-06-2009, 05:10 AM
Federer: My talent is braking racquet's into smithereens.

fixed.....

maximo
04-06-2009, 05:15 AM
fixed.....

hmm, didnt notice that...

canadave
04-06-2009, 05:15 AM
Yes, getting back to the original discussion.....

I'll start off by saying I don't have any particular feeling for or against Federer. Never hated him, never exactly warmed up to him, can appreciate his amazing talent, that's about it (my favourite player was always McEnroe anyway). That being said: What, exactly, does everyone think he should've said in response to the question he was asked? He was asked about whether beating Roddick all the time gives him some kind of edge now against him. He decided not to say "yeah sure it means I can beat him at will now," and instead said that he feels his talent will often be enough to win close matches.

I guess you can read that as being arrogant if you want. It seems to me most people will start with a belief about someone and then tweak quotes in their own minds to make the perceived attitude of the person fit their pre-conceived notions. To me, though, it sounded like Federer was merely answering the question honestly. Hey, he's won a zillion tourneys, he's been ranked #1 forever, whether Nadal is better now, who cares? Has he got talent, maybe a rare and special talent? Of course!! So when he says he feels his talent can get him through close matches, I don't think he's saying it as in, "look at me, I think I'm so amazing, aren't I amazing?" Seems to me he's just telling the truth.

To prove my point, watch what he says when he gets older and starts slipping. I'm sure you'll hear him say things like "I used to be able to win matches on my talent, but now I'm slipping and I need to figure out a different way to win." Again--some people might say "oh he's saying how great he used to be"--but to me that would just be an honest assessment of his game.

mandy01
04-06-2009, 06:34 AM
Yes, getting back to the original discussion.....

I'll start off by saying I don't have any particular feeling for or against Federer. Never hated him, never exactly warmed up to him, can appreciate his amazing talent, that's about it (my favourite player was always McEnroe anyway). That being said: What, exactly, does everyone think he should've said in response to the question he was asked? He was asked about whether beating Roddick all the time gives him some kind of edge now against him. He decided not to say "yeah sure it means I can beat him at will now," and instead said that he feels his talent will often be enough to win close matches.

I guess you can read that as being arrogant if you want. It seems to me most people will start with a belief about someone and then tweak quotes in their own minds to make the perceived attitude of the person fit their pre-conceived notions. To me, though, it sounded like Federer was merely answering the question honestly. Hey, he's won a zillion tourneys, he's been ranked #1 forever, whether Nadal is better now, who cares? Has he got talent, maybe a rare and special talent? Of course!! So when he says he feels his talent can get him through close matches, I don't think he's saying it as in, "look at me, I think I'm so amazing, aren't I amazing?" Seems to me he's just telling the truth.

To prove my point, watch what he says when he gets older and starts slipping. I'm sure you'll hear him say things like "I used to be able to win matches on my talent, but now I'm slipping and I need to figure out a different way to win." Again--some people might say "oh he's saying how great he used to be"--but to me that would just be an honest assessment of his game.
I think thats a really good post.People read too much into the comments of these players.Their human and if they want to be honest I dont know what problem the posters here should have.Dont read his interviews if you dont like them.Plain and simple.