PDA

View Full Version : Yonex RDX500 and grip size to racquet variation

Kevo
03-08-2005, 02:40 PM
I am curious if any one here has access to RDX 500 mids in various grip sizes. I just went back and read the review of the mid, and noticed that the grip size reviewed was a 4 3/8. I also demo'd a 4 3/8. However, when I bought mine I purchased a 4 5/8. I have been trying ever since to recreate the "buttery" feel of the review and the demo I tested. I have never gotten quite back to that feel, and I am beginning to believe that there is a substantial difference in the feel of the frame depending on grip size.

I was hoping someone here had access to different size grips and could test the flex of the frames on an RDC. I'm tempted to buy a 4 3/8 new just to test my hypothesis. I am getting a little tired of the never ending string search in my effort to achieve the feel and response I got from the demo.

Thanks,
Kevin

AAAA
03-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Find out what string and tension the demo was strung at and get the same string setup for YOUR racquet. It does make a difference.

Kevo
03-08-2005, 03:31 PM
Been there and done that. Nothing has felt quite the same. In fact the demo was strung at 62lbs according to the people I spoke with at TW. My racquet with Natural Gut in it at 62lbs hits like a board. I've tried all sorts of strings and gauges, and the best so far was alpha gut 2000 18 guage, but it still wasn't as good, and it breaks every hour or two. There is something different with my racquet, I just can't say for certain what it is. I have spoken to Yonex today and a very nice guy there is going to try to talk to someone on the manufacturing to see if there is a physical difference in the racquet associated with the grip size.

AAAA
03-09-2005, 03:23 AM
Fresh string jobs will feel tighter than played-in indentical setups, the demo may have been used by many other testers already.

My RDX mid hit like a board strung at 60lbs with a multifilament so I lowered tension by 4 lbs. Also do you have proper seasons where you live? Regardless of material, all synthetics feel much harder and dead feeling in much cooler temperatures.

ferrari_827
03-09-2005, 05:15 AM
I have to say that with the RDXmid, low tensions is paramount, otherwise it will feel like a board. I'm even going below 50lbs next time, to 46lbs, but I think 50lbs would be about right for most people. Also, use a fairly lively string.

And yes, the weather drastically affects the response of the strings, balls, and maybe even the racket. Strings feel deader in cooler weather, it's just a fact.

Kevo
03-09-2005, 06:31 AM
ferrari,

What grip size are you using?

altawolfe
03-09-2005, 06:53 AM
Fresh string jobs will feel tighter than played-in indentical setups, the demo may have been used by many other testers already.

My RDX mid hit like a board strung at 60lbs with a multifilament so I lowered tension by 4 lbs. Also do you have proper seasons where you live? Regardless of material, all synthetics feel much harder and dead feeling in much cooler temperatures.

ditto -- you probably played on strings that had been used so many times that it would be impossible to create that same feel with newer strings. that string job could have had 30 hours on it. There are some strings that get remarkably buttery toward the end of their life; they have so much give and transmit far less shock -- and it makes some frames feel far more comfortable than they really are. I've demoed frames under these conditions and realized that I didn't like how the frame played under normal conditions -- so I abandoned the frame, realizing that I couldn't reliably reproduce the feel of the original hit. [of course, there is that age old problem with yonex frames having different weights w/diff grip sizes]

ferrari_827
03-09-2005, 07:04 AM
I'm using 4 5/8". Trust me, Kevo, it's not the racket that's the problem, it's the strings. A 4 5/8" is going to be heavier than the smaller grip sizes, but this has nothing to do with feel.

I've been using different strings, and it's surprising how the feel and response varies depending on the string. I recently got my mid strung with LF Supreme, and actually I feel it's a bit too firm and crisp, and not powerful enough for this racket. I'm going to try Technifibre TRC or Yonex Tour next.

Kevo, I think that 62lbs is much too high for the mid. These demos have been played to death, and by the time you played with it, the tension is probably more like 50lbs !!
Try lowering the tension to 50-52 and you should notice a difference.

Kevo
03-09-2005, 09:55 AM
I'm using 4 5/8". Trust me, Kevo, it's not the racket that's the problem, it's the strings. A 4 5/8" is going to be heavier than the smaller grip sizes, but this has nothing to do with feel.

Yeah, that's the premise I've been operating under, but I've tried so many different variations, and then when I read the playtest again and the frame is described as buttery, I thought maybe there is some difference that is noticeable between grip sizes. I mean there is more material in the handle, maybe the flex in the handle is less. I don't know. Just been experimenting an awful lot, and while low tensions feel pretty good, it's still not the same.

I've been using different strings, and it's surprising how the feel and response varies depending on the string. I recently got my mid strung with LF Supreme, and actually I feel it's a bit too firm and crisp, and not powerful enough for this racket. I'm going to try Technifibre TRC or Yonex Tour next.

The Tour 850 is great stuff. It just loses tension a bit faster and you have to have more tension to keep the control where it needs to be. I found 55lbs. to be real good for about 4 hours or so. If I try this string again, I would bump it up to 57lbs.

Kevo, I think that 62lbs is much too high for the mid. These demos have been played to death, and by the time you played with it, the tension is probably more like 50lbs !!
Try lowering the tension to 50-52 and you should notice a difference.

Yes, I know. That's what I've tried. For instance the Tour 850 spin plays quite good at 50lbs. Still not as good as the demo though. I would just like to test some different grip sizes to see for myself. Maybe I'll order up some demos in different grip sizes and test them back to back. The only problem is my wife is already ticked because I could have bought 3 rackets with all the strings I've tried. :-(

ferrari_827
03-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Well, as far as feel, the RDX strung with a good string is as good as feel as you're going to get with a racket.

A tennis racket is not a body massager of sorts, it's meant to hit balls, so you're going to get a little bit of shock no matter what. After a certain level of comfort, I'm more interested in the performance a string provides.

If you're still unsatisfied, try playing with an IPrestige Mid or ncode 90 strung at 60lbs with a synthetic and you'll be quite happy in comparison. I'm going through some strings trying to find the one which provides optimum performance, but I'm not going through 20 sets of strings, no way.

Have you tried Technifibre strings ? TF strings have good power and cushioning so they might actually be better in the RDXmid. Initially, I thought a stiffer string would be best for the RDXmid, but it turns out I could be wrong. LF Supreme felt a bit boardy and underpowered.

Kevo
03-09-2005, 02:17 PM
A tennis racket is not a body massager of sorts, it's meant to hit balls, so you're going to get a little bit of shock no matter what. After a certain level of comfort, I'm more interested in the performance a string provides.

LOL. I've been playing tennis for a long time, and I've never had any arm problems until I started using the RDX 500. I don't expect it to be a body massager, but I don't want my arm to fall off either.

I've had some moments of clarity if you want to call it that while playing with this racquet. I played one set where every line I aimed at I hit. It's just terrible to have something so great and then have it taken away. I was amazed the first time I hit with the demo. I have never played with a better racquet. It was a wonderful thing. The ability to feel the ball on the strings for a split second and then steer the ball wherever you want it to go is incredible. I am pretty much resigned to the fact that I won't make it back there, but I'd like to get as close as possible.

Have you tried Technifibre strings ?
I have tried X-one biphase, and it was OK. I have not tried NRG2 yet. Currently I have just restrung with NXT OS, but haven't hit with it yet. So far though, the Yonex strings have easily been the best. My best set I was talking about above was with the Yonex Spin at 50lbs.

Kevo
03-09-2005, 03:31 PM
Well, it turns out according to the gentleman I spoke with at Yonex, that there is frame variation based on grip size. He said that the amount of material in the head of the racquet was increased with increasing grip size. He said it wasn't a lot of material, just enough to maintain the balance, but that it might be noticeable if you skipped some grip sizes.

So it looks like I will be trying to get my hands on a 4 3/8. Anyone like to buy a 4 5/8 used?

AAAA
03-09-2005, 04:10 PM
In that case get a 4 3/8.

Mike Werblin
03-09-2005, 06:11 PM
This is crazy!! The racquet will be a little heavier in 45/8 grip size than in a 43/8 grip size and because the extra weight is in the handle it will make it feel/swing a little more headlight BUT the flex of the racquet is not gonna be effected. I use a 45/8 grip and I have always tried a demo of a racquet before buying and the demos are always 43/8-41/2 grip size and usually 43/8. I have NEVER found any racquet to have more/less flex from grip size to grip size. You misunderstood what the Yonex guy told you. You either have a defective racquet, try another RDX 500-mid in 45/8 grip size, or you have developed an arm/elbow problem.

Dopke
03-09-2005, 07:05 PM
I strung my RDX500 mid at 62 lbs. Was not great. After losing about 4-5 lbs of tension, it plays a lot better. I will string it starting from 58 this time.

Kevo
03-09-2005, 07:29 PM
This is crazy!! The racquet will be a little heavier in 45/8 grip size than in a 43/8 grip size and because the extra weight is in the handle it will make it feel/swing a little more headlight BUT the flex of the racquet is not gonna be effected.

Did you read what I wrote. The guy at Yonex specifically said they added material to the head of the racquet to balance the weight of the larger grip size. He said it wasn't a lot, but that you might notice it. Well, I don't know for sure yet, but it's enough of a reason given the difference I felt for me to try a brand new 4 3/8 and see for myself. If I can get my hands on one, I will string it up exactly the same way I strung my 4 5/8 and then hit with them back to back. If there's no difference then I will be satisfied that it's either in my head, or it was something to do with the strings in the demo. But, I really feel compelled to figure this out.

ferrari_827
03-10-2005, 05:22 AM
Kevo, more weight in the racket will tend to reduce flex and make it stiffer. Think about it, the more mass, the less deflection. The difference is probably small, but certainly enough that it affected you. At this point, since you've experimented with all type of strings and tensions, it's the only thing I can think of. Good luck anyway.

ferrari_827
03-10-2005, 05:32 AM
Kevo, it could be that the grip is too big for you and affecting maneuverability !!! This in itself could cause physical problems.

Kevo
03-10-2005, 11:50 AM
I have had a couple of 4 3/8 frames checked on an RDC. It appears that there is a variation even in the same grip size. Two 4 3/8 were tested, one was a 63 and one was a 61.So, while the frames with bigger grips are heavier, the flex measurement of different sizes is likely similar, but with variation. So my current theory is that the demo frame was probably on the lower end of the variance, and it probably is even flexier due to use or abuse and frequent stringing, shipping, etc. So it looks like I need to play a lot more and in about 250 hours of tennis or so my frame may break in to where I like it. :-) I still don't get the recommended tension scale on the mid. Has anyone tried one at 65? Ouch!

Mike Werblin
03-10-2005, 04:39 PM
Kevo- Why don't you just find another 45/8 grip RDX 500-mid to try. I bet you will find it flexes essentially the same as the 43/8 grip RDX 500-mid you tried. The 45/8 grip one you have right now is probably defective or improperly strung. The RDX 500-mid is one of the more comfortable frames, in EVERY grip size, on the market right now. I think you probably just have a defective racquet.