PDA

View Full Version : Volleyball block in tennis (crazy freak shot)

JavierLW
04-01-2009, 09:14 PM
This kind of goes with the other thread where we are arguing about whether it's okay to hit it in the direction of someone or not.

I was playing our 3.5 / 4.0 drill today and it was doubles. It was "game point" for the drill.

One of my opponents threw up a real easy overhead to me, only it was only about a foot past the net and I had to run to get underneath it.

My other opponent was positioned right behind where this ball went, and as I ran under the ball to put it away I sort of assumed he was going to move or get out of the way, or at least back up so he could possibly defend against my overhead.

But as I was looking up at the ball, I noticed in my Peripheral vision that the guy actually manned up and got CLOSER to the net and was standing point blank right in front of me with his racquet up in the air.

I am 6'0" and this guy is like 6'3" at least if not more and he's a big time volleyball player. Anyway because of his height it was hard for me to not to notice what he was doing.

Well not that there was much thought involved, I just went for the overhead anyway, thinking full well that whether I hit him or not I was going to the win the point.

Everyone else in the drill (about 4 other players and the 2 pros) were watching this and they said it was pretty clear I hit a really good solid overhead but this guy just sort of stretched upward (he didnt jump) and stuck his racquet probably only a foot way from my racquet I ended up hitting the ball right into his racquet and it flew over my head.

I even had time to still run it down and could of hit it over my shoulder for the save, but I couldnt believe what just happened. (actually the only indication I had that it even hit his racquet was the sounds coming from the crowd so I went after the ball too late)

Has anyone ever seen anyone do that before? I havent.

I thought the guy must of been nuts, and I couldnt believe he was doing it while it was going on.

saram
04-01-2009, 09:37 PM
That is one crazy fluke shot. The guy has some serious nuts.

larry10s
04-02-2009, 09:19 AM
anyone who would get that close to you when you are hitting an overhead is either crazy or has no respect for your overhead. my 2 cents is NEVER hit an overhead at somebody but try to angle it off the court or to where they can not touch it. how many times have you hit an overhead or volley at someone they stick thier racquet out and pop up a lob winner!!!! boy i hate when that happens.

JavierLW
04-02-2009, 09:34 AM
anyone who would get that close to you when you are hitting an overhead is either crazy or has no respect for your overhead. my 2 cents is NEVER hit an overhead at somebody but try to angle it off the court or to where they can not touch it. how many times have you hit an overhead or volley at someone they stick thier racquet out and pop up a lob winner!!!! boy i hate when that happens.

That's probably true (from a tactical perspective).

However this guy was only a foot away from me and it was doubles. If I hit it off to my left, it's going somewhere that the other player can get it (he was still deep), and I dont have a whole lot of room on my right. (that's pretty much just the alley)

If he had backed off like most normal people, I probably wouldnt of aimed for him, but I would of just hit it between them as that would of opened up a lot of court for me. Another option is to aim anywhere behind that guy's feet if he doesnt get back far enough.

But since he was so close he was pretty much crowding all of my shots. It was a bit distracting and I didnt want to screw up the overhead so I just went for it. (and the easiest overhead to hit was to just put the ball straight on)

(not that any amount of thought was going thru my head at the time, it was just a reaction more then anything)

beernutz
04-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Next time he's up there lower your sights.

Midlife crisis
04-03-2009, 12:48 PM
I was playing once and hit an absolute sitter of a lob volley. Because I knew the overhead was going to come hard and probably at me, I ran up to the net, ducked down below the net, and stuck my racquet up above the net. The overhead hit my strings and it got blocked into the court for a clean winner.

When this happened to me, the ball came off my strings really fast, even though it hit pretty off center. If the ball had gone upward at all, there's no way it would have come down in the court, and any rebound where it would have come down in the court would absolutely not have been run-down-able. Your opponent must have caught it off the tip of his frame or something, an even more lucky shot!

JavierLW
04-03-2009, 01:47 PM
I was playing once and hit an absolute sitter of a lob volley. Because I knew the overhead was going to come hard and probably at me, I ran up to the net, ducked down below the net, and stuck my racquet up above the net. The overhead hit my strings and it got blocked into the court for a clean winner.

When this happened to me, the ball came off my strings really fast, even though it hit pretty off center. If the ball had gone upward at all, there's no way it would have come down in the court, and any rebound where it would have come down in the court would absolutely not have been run-down-able. Your opponent must have caught it off the tip of his frame or something, an even more lucky shot!

I figure something like that must of happened. Like I said, the people standing on the side watching, said that his racquet was just being held about a foot away from where mine was going.

So I figured I hit the ball somewhat upward and it must of hit the top of his string bed or the top of his racquet (which is why it rebounded well over my head).

It also it didnt even go as far as the service line back on my side so it must of lost a lot of pace somehow. Like I said, I had more then enough time to run it down for the save but I was too shocked and confused and I didnt make it in time. (I attempted a over the shoulder backwards shot which Im actually pretty good at but it weakly fell into the net)

Obviously it's easy for me now to contemplate how I could of gotten fancy and let the ball fall down further and hit it at him or dropped it at his feet or whatever, but at the time there wasnt much thought involved. I couldnt exactly see what he was doing because I was looking at the ball, I could just tell that he was VERY close and was taking up space both in front of me and in the air. (the observers said that he was standing on both feet, but sort of stretched up in the air reaching his racquet up and it looked like a volleyball block sort of only with a tennis racquet)

Here's a question. If I would of followed thru and hit his racquet or him causing him not to be able to return the ball, is that hindrance? (or a let?)

I didnt think so but someone was asking and it's kind of curious. (because after all you could accidently reach across in a normal shot and bump into someone and it would cause them to miss)

Midlife crisis
04-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Here's a question. If I would of followed thru and hit his racquet or him causing him not to be able to return the ball, is that hindrance? (or a let?)

I didnt think so but someone was asking and it's kind of curious. (because after all you could accidently reach across in a normal shot and bump into someone and it would cause them to miss)

That's a good question. If you swing and miss because you're trying to avoid racquet contact, can you claim a hindrance?

If you make the shot but your follow-through hits his racquet, can he claim a hindrance?

If you swing, make the shot, then make contact with his racquet but he returns the ball onto your court and you miss the subsequent shot, can you claim a hindrance?

It seems logical the answer to the first is "No", the answer to the second is "Yes", and the answer to the third is "No". However, these aren't all mutually consistent.

Who has a rule book?!?

jefferson
04-03-2009, 04:24 PM
It sounds possible Javier that he was reaching over the net. Was he? It sounds like a bang bang play, but maybe someone watching had a better view.

JavierLW
04-03-2009, 05:36 PM
It sounds possible Javier that he was reaching over the net. Was he? It sounds like a bang bang play, but maybe someone watching had a better view.

6 people had an excellent view (they were all standing around watching on the sideline of the next court) and nobody mentioned that he reached over the net.

Supposably he just held his racquet in the air, and when I hit the ball it actually hit his racquet and bounced over my head.

Later on I was musing about it and I thought maybe it would of been funny if I pretended to swing but missed the ball and maybe he'd follow thru and hit the ball (which would of been a double hit), but that's just daydreaming (and he wasnt swinging his racquet anyway, he was just trying to block my shot)

I was already only a foot or two from the net and so was he so his racquet was pretty close without actually going over.

Plus one of the pros would of said something if he crossed over.

maverick66
04-03-2009, 06:55 PM
how did you not hit his racket or him with your racket. wouldnt the followthrough on your overhead hit him?

JavierLW
04-03-2009, 07:01 PM
how did you not hit his racket or him with your racket. wouldnt the followthrough on your overhead hit him?

Because my overhead is the same motion as a serve, racquet goes mostly upward and then the arm pronates it off to the right, it doesnt go forward.

Blade0324
04-04-2009, 07:46 AM
I would have backed away from the overhead, assuming you were taking it on the fly and let the ball bounce to give myself time to decide what to do. I would likely then have cut a very sharp angled shot away from him to the side of the court where is partner was deep.

JavierLW
04-04-2009, 12:09 PM
I would have backed away from the overhead, assuming you were taking it on the fly and let the ball bounce to give myself time to decide what to do. I would likely then have cut a very sharp angled shot away from him to the side of the court where is partner was deep.

Wow that is amazing. Maybe next time, I'll do one better then that. I'll "phone a friend" and you can come drive down to my club and hit the shot for me. :-)

Im not sure how much "thinking" you do out there, but here's the problem with that:

Once I see that I have an easy sitter, Im watching the ball, not my opponent and going for the forehand overhead when it's at it's highest point is probably he most ideal, isnt it?

From there if he backs up I have a read on where he is and what my target is.

But as Im setting up for this shot I noticed he was right in front of me. I dont know about you but that doesnt happen to me that often and rather then do anything fancy I just went for my shot. It's not all that easy to cut a ball sideways that's over my head so going straight ahead seemed like the easiest way of winning the point.

It's easy to say I shouldnt of now that it's over, but really what are the odds of him blocking an overhead at point blank range????

Maybe if I get in that situation again, I'll do something else (like let the ball drop a bit and volley it around him or under him), but that was a first for me.

JesseT
04-13-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm amazed you were that aware. Once I focus on a shot, I focus. I've learned my lessons about "thinking" while in the middle of a stroke.

My experience was that my opponent ran up to the net while I watched an overhead. Guess he thought he was spooking me, but I had already zoned.

Racquet back, swing....*SMACK*. I hit him square in the face/head...and the ball came back over and dribbled away.

My first (rather insensitive) thought: did it hit his racquet and he got the winner?!

My second thought, after learning it didn't hit the racquet: Oh, dude. Are you okay?

Turns out he was fine. No hard feelings (that I was aware of).

If I didn't hit hard serves or groundstrokes, I'd understand someone assuming I'd miss an overhead. But I was just stunned someone would willinging try to take a shot like that. It's not like you get a free base or the chicks'll dig ya more, etc.

*shrug*

JavierLW
04-13-2009, 05:23 PM
I'm amazed you were that aware. Once I focus on a shot, I focus. I've learned my lessons about "thinking" while in the middle of a stroke.

My experience was that my opponent ran up to the net while I watched an overhead. Guess he thought he was spooking me, but I had already zoned.

Racquet back, swing....*SMACK*. I hit him square in the face/head...and the ball came back over and dribbled away.

My first (rather insensitive) thought: did it hit his racquet and he got the winner?!

My second thought, after learning it didn't hit the racquet: Oh, dude. Are you okay?

Turns out he was fine. No hard feelings (that I was aware of).

If I didn't hit hard serves or groundstrokes, I'd understand someone assuming I'd miss an overhead. But I was just stunned someone would willinging try to take a shot like that. It's not like you get a free base or the chicks'll dig ya more, etc.

*shrug*

That's EXACTLY why I mentioned there really wasnt much thought involved in the decision making process.

As soon as it was clear that if I ran underneath the ball I saw myself hitting an overhead.

However if the guy backs up which is the more likely scenerio Im programmed to see the shot (thru my perfs and awareness of where people are while Im still watching the ball) and hit the overhead in the best spot where it's not coming back, this is usually right between them, or right at this guys feet, or better yet anywhere directly behind him is pretty much unreturnable.

This isnt a matter of thinking, it's a matter of using my full range of vision and doing what Im trained to do. (that's why we play in these drills, not just to hit tennis balls around for exercise)

A lot of people would just mindless hit the ball as hard as they can when they get an overhead only to hit it right to someone with an oversize KFactor K1 racquet that easily deflects it back.

But anyway I saw the guy man up to me. Unless you have perfect tunnel vision you would notice this guy is only a foot away.

So it was a little abnormal but I already felt the shot and just sort of saw that my target was right at the guy (or thru him). I didnt think about it, that's just the reaction I took because it was the easiest at the time, trying to do anything else was too hard because I was already locked into hitting a great overhead.

And the pros claim it was a really well struck overhead, the guy just got really lucky somehow.

mtommer
04-13-2009, 05:28 PM
This kind of goes with the other thread where we are arguing about whether it's okay to hit it in the direction of someone or not.

I was playing our 3.5 / 4.0 drill today and it was doubles. It was "game point" for the drill.

One of my opponents threw up a real easy overhead to me, only it was only about a foot past the net and I had to run to get underneath it.

My other opponent was positioned right behind where this ball went, and as I ran under the ball to put it away I sort of assumed he was going to move or get out of the way, or at least back up so he could possibly defend against my overhead.

But as I was looking up at the ball, I noticed in my Peripheral vision that the guy actually manned up and got CLOSER to the net and was standing point blank right in front of me with his racquet up in the air.

I am 6'0" and this guy is like 6'3" at least if not more and he's a big time volleyball player. Anyway because of his height it was hard for me to not to notice what he was doing.

Well not that there was much thought involved, I just went for the overhead anyway, thinking full well that whether I hit him or not I was going to the win the point.

Everyone else in the drill (about 4 other players and the 2 pros) were watching this and they said it was pretty clear I hit a really good solid overhead but this guy just sort of stretched upward (he didnt jump) and stuck his racquet probably only a foot way from my racquet I ended up hitting the ball right into his racquet and it flew over my head.

I even had time to still run it down and could of hit it over my shoulder for the save, but I couldnt believe what just happened. (actually the only indication I had that it even hit his racquet was the sounds coming from the crowd so I went after the ball too late)

Has anyone ever seen anyone do that before? I havent.

I thought the guy must of been nuts, and I couldnt believe he was doing it while it was going on.

Ha! I do this too! I take it as a challenge to see if I can hit the ball. It's only a tennis ball so I don't really care if I get hit or not.

JavierLW
04-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Ha! I do this too! I take it as a challenge to see if I can hit the ball. It's only a tennis ball so I don't really care if I get hit or not.

Now Im not one to normally go into the whole "a tennis ball poked someone's eye out" talk....

But I think being only 1 or 2 feet away from an overhead IS kind of dangerous.

At the slowest my serve is 84 mph (I clocked it at that once and I was kinda taking it easy because I didnt want to look stupid) My overhead is sort of the same motion as the serve.

That's not that fast as far as serves or overheads go, but I would think a tennis ball travelling 84 mph into your eye wouldnt exactly be ideal.....

Im sorry but I still think this was sort of dumb. I had to run underneath this overhead, so he had time to back up to at least behind the service line (or further becuase this guy is pretty fast).

He's got a much better chance of saving the point from back there (if I dont hit a great overhead), then he does at getting lucky from 1 foot or two feet away, doesnt he?