PDA

View Full Version : Federer interview after Dent's match

charliexd
04-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Take a look on Federer's answer to this question:

Q. Obviously for years you were the hunted, No. 1. Do you enjoy the hunting, being on the opposite side of that? Does it entail a change of mind or attitude in any way?

ROGER FEDERER: Umm, not a whole a lot. You know, I mean, I had more of an issue with myself, you know, getting myself back in shape for the last year. That's been my problem, not really Rafa or Andy or Djokovic, or you name it. Those comes naturally if I play well that I can beat these guys.
So for me, it was a matter of getting back in shape. I feel like I'm about to turn the corner. Mentally I'm really fresh again after taking a rest in December and February. So I feel like I'm getting better, whereas I couldn't concentrate that much on tennis. It was more about getting actually back in shape.

If he believes that he's got a problem don't you think? He "played well" against Murray or Nadal and wasn't enough to beat them.

Josherer
04-02-2009, 12:25 AM

Q. Obviously for years you were the hunted, No. 1. Do you enjoy the hunting, being on the opposite side of that? Does it entail a change of mind or attitude in any way?

ROGER FEDERER: Umm, not a whole a lot. You know, I mean, I had more of an issue with myself, you know, getting myself back in shape for the last year. That's been my problem, not really Rafa or Andy or Djokovic, or you name it. Those comes naturally if I play well that I can beat these guys.
So for me, it was a matter of getting back in shape. I feel like I'm about to turn the corner. Mentally I'm really fresh again after taking a rest in December and February. So I feel like I'm getting better, whereas I couldn't concentrate that much on tennis. It was more about getting actually back in shape.

If he believes that he's got a problem don't you think? He "played well" against Murray or Nadal and wasn't enough to beat them.

Huh?

Fed looses to Murray becuase he can never play well against him as he is a horrible match up and Fed has always, off late, fell to pieces with too many errors.. I wouldn't say he plays well at all against him.

Nadal is a different stroy. Last year and this year Fed has just been outplayed by him (although Fed hasn't been 100%)

Bottle Rocket
04-02-2009, 05:33 AM
Huh?

Fed looses to Murray becuase he can never play well against him as he is a horrible match up and Fed has always, off late, fell to pieces with too many errors.. I wouldn't say he plays well at all against him.

If him falling to pieces with too many errors is good enough for him to lose in 3 sets most of the time, I'll bet Federer isn't too worried.

cknobman
04-02-2009, 05:38 AM
I agree that I dont think Fed plays his best tennis against Andy or Rafa

BUT

I think Roger dosnt play his best because Andy and Rafa's game dont allow him too. Plus Roger has some issues with confidence that just compound as the match progresses until his game falls apart enough to loose the match.

Puma
04-02-2009, 05:38 AM
I read the whole interview. Let me say, I am a Fed fan. But,,,,,,,,He is a little delusional when it comes to his competition. His competition has improved, and is still improving. Fed needs to eat some humble pie and realize this so he can do whatever he needs to do to improve.

I hate to admit this, but I do think Feds success has gone to his head. I feel he firmly believes he can beat the top five A La Carte, including Nadal. Lately, this hasn't worked so well for him. When is he going to realize this?

gj011
04-02-2009, 05:41 AM
Federer is getting out of control. In every interview he says couple of really bad things.

I guess not being #1 and beating everyone all the time really exposes his true character.

icedevil0289
04-02-2009, 05:42 AM
I read the whole interview. Let me say, I am a Fed fan. But,,,,,,,,He is a little delusional when it comes to his competition. His competition has improved, and is still improving. Fed needs to eat some humble pie and realize this so he can do whatever he needs to do to improve.

I hate to admit this, but I do think Feds success has gone to his head. I feel he firmly believes he can beat the top five A La Carte, including Nadal. Lately, this hasn't worked so well for him. When is he going to realize this?

*sigh*. I guess someone needs a reality check.

icedevil0289
04-02-2009, 05:44 AM
Federer is getting out of control. In every interview he says couple of really bad things.

I guess not being #1 and beating everyone all the time really exposes his true character.

I think you're exaggerating a bit. Unless being honest=saying really bad things. This time he just sounded delusional, but not everytime. Why do I get the feeling that if anyone says anything critical about djokovic they are bad people.

gj011
04-02-2009, 05:51 AM
I think you're exaggerating a bit. Unless being honest=saying really bad things. This time he just sounded delusional, but not everytime. Why do I get the feeling that if anyone says anything critical about djokovic they are bad people.

No it is not quite like that. Sorry if you feel that way.
This statement was not against Djokovic per se, so I was not posting because of that. It is just that Federer said a lots of negative things about other players recently.

TheNatural
04-02-2009, 05:51 AM
Does anything he says really matter until he can start beating Nadal in slam finals?

icedevil0289
04-02-2009, 06:03 AM
No it is not quite like that. Sorry if you feel that way.
This statement was not against Djokovic per se, so I was not posting because of that. It is just that Federer said a lots of negative things about other players recently.

I know it wasn't against djokovic. When you said really bad things I thought you were implying about the interview after the roddick match in which you said he was being rude, which I didn't feel like he was, but hey to each his/her own. Sorry I might have jumped to conclusions. My bad.

DarthFed
04-02-2009, 06:29 AM
Why do people go find these freaking text interviews just to bash players (fed since it doesn't happen to anyone else)

charliexd
04-02-2009, 07:47 AM
Federer isn't able to play his best tennis during the whole match against Nadal or Murray because they don't let him, most of the time playing to his backhand, and I think in some of those matches against them he really played well (wimbledon final 08, masters cup 08 ) and wasn't enough to beat them. I'm not bashing federer, it's only that I'm totally surprised with that comment, he should admit that he has a little problem with those two players. Admitting that may even help him to approach those matches in another way.

zagadka
04-02-2009, 09:21 AM
If you don't believe that you can beat someone, then you will never beat that someone. If Fed does not believe that he can beat those guys, then he will never have a chance at all.

viduka0101
04-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Huh?

Nadal is a different stroy. Last year and this year Fed has just been outplayed by him (although Fed hasn't been 100%)

cry me a river, he should adjust his game if he is a genius,at least thats what he thinks

i totally agree

Does anything he says really matter until he can start beating Nadal in slam finals?
no!

Why do people go find these freaking text interviews just to bash players (fed since it doesn't happen to anyone else)
because they dont have reasons to do it, mr arrogance deserves it

JoshDragon
04-02-2009, 09:32 AM

He might of been referring to Andy Roddick.

I don't agree with Fed's statement, even if he was playing his best tennis, he could still lose to Nadal, very easily. Murray and Nadal are both in his head.

sureshs
04-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Fed will never admit that Nadal is better than him.

viduka0101
04-02-2009, 09:34 AM

he is a better person thats certain but not a better player and i wouldnt say much worse

edmondsm
04-02-2009, 09:38 AM
OMG, another thread cherry-picking Fed comments. This forum is getting sad.

Federer said, "if I play well I CAN beat those guys".....and that is true, we've all seen it. Yet another comment of Federer's that is declared arrogant but just turns out to be honest. I swear, the more "arrogant" comments I see from Fed the more I like him.

icedevil0289
04-02-2009, 09:40 AM
he is a better person thats certain but not a better player and i wouldnt say much worse

Well that can be debated. As of now, nadal is the better player, hence the no.1 ranking.

sureshs
04-02-2009, 09:46 AM

Federer said, "if I play well I CAN beat those guys".....and that is true, we've all seen it. Yet another comment of Federer's that is declared arrogant but just turns out to be honest. I swear, the more "arrogant" comments I see from Fed the more I like him.

Read the comments prior to it, and it is not really like you are claiming. Fed is saying none of his opponents are an issue, he only needs to play well. Well, how many more chances does he need against Nadal to "play well"? I see a lot of arrogance and stubborness in his statements. It was OK when he was #1, people were like "if you played like him, you would be too." Now we have a different #1 who does not have this arrogance, so all those people were wrong.

BreakPoint
04-02-2009, 10:07 AM
And why should he? If he admitted that to himself, he will never ever beat Nadal again.

Tennis_Bum
04-02-2009, 10:17 AM
I agree that I dont think Fed plays his best tennis against Andy or Rafa

BUT

I think Roger dosnt play his best because Andy and Rafa's game dont allow him too. Plus Roger has some issues with confidence that just compound as the match progresses until his game falls apart enough to loose the match.

It's really hard to play against a pusher like Murray. He moves so well and anticipate so well. He pushes the ball and bore you to dead until you self destruct and make a lot of errors. Granted Fed played badly at Indian Wells against Murray. But Murray's game just suck the life out of you. I find Murray's game is overrated but I agree that he has had excellent results. Excellent results doesn't mean you are a great player or entertaining player for the fans, that's just my opinion.

Murray always walk around the court pretending that he's really sick, tired or pretending that he fell down and acting as though he twisted his ankles to distract his opponents. How can a guy who fell down and walking gingerly in one minute and later chased ball from corners to corners and going after drop shots as though he just woke up from a 12-hour sleep. The pattern is consistent in every match Murray plays. So boring to watch and so predictable, but I concede he does produce excellent results.

Of course, no slam yet though. So I think he is overhyped.

charliexd
04-02-2009, 03:23 PM
And why should he? If he admitted that to himself, he will never ever beat Nadal again.
You're wrong, Nadal knows Federer was (and probably is) better than him, yet he beats him regularly.

BreakPoint
04-02-2009, 03:38 PM
You're wrong, Nadal knows Federer was (and probably is) better than him, yet he beats him regularly.
You're wrong. Nadal only publicly says that Federer is better than him in order to take the pressure off of himself.

If you really think you are worse than someone, you will never beat them.

charliexd
04-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Nadal truly believed Federer was the better player, but that doesn't mean that he cannot beat him. There's an enormous difference. Are you telling me that every average player comes into the match against the number one (ex: Federer)thinking: he's won X slams, I didn't but I'm better than him. NO. They think, well if I play my game I will have my chances and I can definitely beat him. That's the way it is. Rafa both said and thought Roger was the better player, but he never was afraid of him. He achieved all he's got by knowing his limits, that's the key of his success.

fastdunn
04-02-2009, 04:16 PM

You are picking just one statement out of the whole paragraph. As you said, the statement is absolutely true. But look at the entire paragraph.

It's not about arrogance, man. More about the stubborness of Federer, IMHO. Nothing has changed except his fitness level. He does not believe there has been any age factor, and Nadal was not an issue and so on.

Well, Davydenko drops to #9 next week. If Davydenko somehow drops out of top 10, he will become the oldest top player. These youngster are getting better everyday...

This kind of stubborness brought him to his greatness but some champion's stubborness can turn freakishly wierd. For example, think about Borg who tried to come back with a wooden racquet in early 90's.

Well Federer is not that wierd. Just a little stubborn. That's all. But he has been isolated at the top for 5 years now, without a coach. So it's certainly possible that he is slightly out of touch with reality. But it is a different question whether it is good or bad for him....

clayrules
04-03-2009, 11:38 AM
So Federer had figured out Djokovic? Yet another delusional arrogant comment by Federer.