PDA

View Full Version : Who are the Top 5 players so far this year?

LanceStern
04-02-2009, 09:40 AM
Yes we still have the rankings which gives us "The big four" and whatnot, but rankings don't tell the whole story. In your opinion from what we've seen of 2009 so far, who are the Top 5 players this year?

1. Nadal - Consistently dominant. Out of the 5 tournaments he's been in this year, he's been in 4 finals and won three of those finals. Cruel playstyle, hangs in on every point and wears the opponent down mentally and physically. Hits hard, makes few errors, so very fast. #1 definitely.

2. Murray - Knows how to beat each of the Top 3 and has done it consistently for the past 7 months. He's the #2 this year. Has the game to beat Nadal as well and could be #1 this year. He is very consistent, huge serve and versatile game. Gets to so many balls and stays in the point. Intimidating opponent for anyone not named Djokovic. I think he is a little sick which is hindering him from completely dominating.

3. Federer - Very close to Murray in terms of #2 player this year, but has a mental block against Nadal and Murray. Has some inconsistency problems in best of 3 setters and is not moving horizontally very good haha. His game even at B levels (compared to 2007) is too good for everyone else on tour except maybe Djokovic as well. We'll see tonight. Still super consistent, has been to the Semis or better for every tournament he's been in this year (3 semis, 1 final out of 4 tournies).

4. Roddick - Consistently good. Has the most wins on tour. Until yesterday, he was in the semis or better out of the 5 tournaments he was in. Serve is ridiculous, movement is outstanding and his game is coming to something whole. He gives 110% it seems in every match he's been in and is probably fittest on tour I think. Has used his game to beat all his opponents this year on tour except the 3 men above him, who's game is just a little too much for him. He needs a little more in his gears because his matches are close.

5. Still thinking. Don't know if it's Djokovic or Verdasco.

gj011
04-02-2009, 09:42 AM
LOL. More disrespect for Djokovic. :roll:

thejoe
04-02-2009, 09:56 AM
^How can you say he has been better than the top 4?

It isn't disrespectful, it is true.

tahiti
04-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Rafa, Roger, Andy Murray, Tsonga & I'd say Verdasco.

1hbhBUX
04-02-2009, 10:02 AM
So far this year, clearly Nadal, Murray and Federer are the top 3. I agree that Roddick & Djokovic are the next two.

gj011
04-02-2009, 10:07 AM
He's talking about results of the past 3 months, Djokovic is top 4 based on his results in the past 12 months.

In the past three months Djokovic won Dubai and just before that he won TMC. What other players, except Nadal of course who is way ahead of others, did in that period that is better that this? Federer has no titles, Murray has Rotterdam and Doha (both smaller tournaments than Dubai) and even earlier exit at AO, Roddick has Memphis, not to mention a joke that even Verdasco and Tsonga are ahead of Djokovic in minds of some...

So clear disrespect for Djokovic yet again.

And also making a ranking based on couple of months only makes no sense. That is why ATP got rid of race points. Lets start making ranking lists after every tournament based on results on that last tournament only :roll:

miyagi
04-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Nadal by far!! he has been to 3 finals and won the two most important.

Federer - He at least got to AO final (slams matter most)

Murray - plays well but didnt go far enough at AO

Djoko - Won Dubai playing well now but worried about his fitness

jimwh
04-02-2009, 10:57 AM
1.) Nadal
2.) Murray
3.) Djokovic
4.) Federer
5.) Roddick, but barely over Verdasco.

shadows
04-02-2009, 12:04 PM
1) Nadal (no need for comment)

2) Murray (see Fed.)

3)Federer (very close with Murray, whoever has the better result in Miami I'd say has had the best start to the year. Murrays results are better in general but Fed outperformed him by a way at the AO and that was pretty big)

4) Roddick (23-4 for the year, won memphis, finals doha, semi's AO and IW. Could make a case for him being higher really but he's not beating the guys above him)

5) Verdasco (sneaks in on the strength of his AO performance, backed up with some solid performances recently)

honourable mentions:

Djokovic, Del Potro, Tsonga.

roddickrulz
04-02-2009, 12:15 PM
1.) Nadal
2.) Murray
3.) Djokovic
4.) Federer

how the hell can u put djoker above arod - 1st of all rod has beaten him twice this year, secondly - look at his win-loss record, 3rdly, roddick made the semis of AO..roddick is better than djokovic ATM. PERIOD

bluescreen
04-02-2009, 12:27 PM
1. nadal
2. federer
3. murray
4. roddick
5. verdasco

i'd put murray at 2, but i think his early exit at the australian open withholds him from that spot. and even though he has a title this year and federer doesnt, he's also played more tournaments. but as shadows mentioned, im gonna wait until after miami to cement those two spots.

Mungo73
04-02-2009, 12:38 PM
1. Nadal
2. Murray
3. Roddick
4. Robredo
5. Cilic

vtmike
04-02-2009, 12:41 PM
1. Nadal
2. Murray
3. Roddick
4. Robredo
5. Cilic

How can you forget Giles Muller & Reynolds Bobby??

Mungo73
04-02-2009, 12:50 PM
How can you forget Giles Muller & Reynolds Bobby??

nah im a huge bobby fan but robredo and cilic won 2 titles each. i give credit where credit is due.

wilsondude
04-02-2009, 12:56 PM
1. nadal
2. federer
3. murray
4. roddick
5. verdasco

i'd put murray at 2, but i think his early exit at the australian open withholds him from that spot. and even though he has a title this year and federer doesnt, he's also played more tournaments. but as shadows mentioned, im gonna wait until after miami to cement those two spots.

this is acurate. id like to put verdasco ahead of roddick, verdasco looks like hes playing better but andys results are slightly better.

tacou
04-02-2009, 12:59 PM
nadal, murray, fed, roddick, djoko/tsonga/verdasco.

swap murray to fourth if you place greater important on slams (there's only been one this year so I don't think it's fair to put too much emphasis on it)

Joseph L. Barrow
04-02-2009, 01:07 PM
So far this season, I'd say it's been:

1. Nadal

2. Federer
3. Murray
4. Roddick
5. Djokovic

Murray and Federer could be seen as interchangeable, since they're very close in the ATP Race, and Murray has beaten Federer twice in addition to winning two titles to Federer's none, but Federer's Australian Open final as compared to only a fourth round for Murray tips it in his favor, in my opnion. Roddick actually has more points than Federer and Murray through the season to date, but that's primarily because he's just played a tournament or two more than they have. Their wins over him solidify their higher placing. Djokovic hasn't been on par with those four so far this season, losing twice to Roddick and once to Nadal, but he's nevertheless made the quarters or better of all three major tournaments and won a title in Dubai.

vtmike
04-02-2009, 01:28 PM
^^^^
1. Novak Djokovic
2. Viktor Troicki
3. Janko Tipsarević
4. Ilija Bozoljac
5. Boris Pašanski

FD3S
04-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Most of the orders I've seen look reasonable. No disrespect intended to Djokovic, but his 2009 hasn't been as good as Nadal's, Murray's, Fed's, or Roddick's. I personally hope he steps it up, b/c he's capable of doing so.

T1000
04-02-2009, 01:31 PM
nadal
federer
murray
roddick
verdasco
rest of the atp
the whole wta
serniors tour
juniors
club players
fans who dont play
rest of the world
novak djokovic

shadows
04-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Purely win/loss for the year (pre-miami) on players in the top 20 with more than 10 wins.

sorted by win/loss ratio

21 - 2 Rafa :: 10.5 wins to a loss
20 - 2 Murray :: 10 wins to a loss
23 - 4 Roddick :: 5.7 wins to a loss
17 - 3 Cilic :: 5.6 wins to a loss
22 - 4 Tsonga :: 5.5 wins to a loss
13 - 3 Fed :: 4.3 wins to a loss
20 - 5 Robredo :: 4 wins to a loss
12 - 3 Verdasco :: 4 wins to a loss
15 - 4 Del Potro :: 3.75 wins to a loss
17 - 5 Stepanek :: 3.4 wins to a loss
10 - 4 Almagro :: 2.5 wins to a loss
10 - 4 Nalbandian :: 2.5 wins to a loss
15 - 6 Ferrer ::2.5 wins to a loss
17 - 7 Novak :: 2.4 wins to a loss
13 - 6 Monfils :: 2.1 wins to a loss
12 - 8 Simon :: 1.5 wins to a loss

batz
04-02-2009, 01:43 PM
nadal
federer
murray
roddick
verdasco
rest of the atp
the whole wta
serniors tour
juniors
club players
fans who dont play
rest of the world
novak djokovic

I'm not a Novak hater, but that is quite funny.:):twisted:

shadows
04-02-2009, 01:57 PM
I'm entirely aware of it not being a stat to take your top 5 from, otherwise I'd have just posted the top 5 as my list now wouldn't I.

Nevertheless, it's partly relevant because it provides a comparison of how everyones been doing, it also makes for some interesting reading, particularly Cilic's position on there.

edberg505
04-02-2009, 02:04 PM
The ATP race points are still alive and well. I'll post the link when I find it.

Joseph L. Barrow
04-02-2009, 02:58 PM
^^^^
1. Novak Djokovic
2. Viktor Troicki
3. Janko Tipsarević
4. Ilija Bozoljac
5. Boris Pašanski
Well done!

Joseph L. Barrow
04-02-2009, 03:02 PM
In what way is it irrelevant? It's just another view of the same data. Whilst the ATP have decided that rankings should be calculated over a 12 month period, there is no definitive, mathematical proof that shows rankings are only valid if calculated over a 12 months.

Also, I'm not sure that you are correct in your assertion about the reasons for the Race's demise - I've seen no reports stating this.
The Race isn't gone- not really. It's just been tucked away out of public view on the ATP website, because people confused it with the official rankings. Having frequently surfed around on the site when in leisurely moods, I can say the Race does still exist, and they even had the players' Race positions listed on their profiles alongside their rankings at one point very recently, though it appears they've taken that mark off again.

Mansewerz
04-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Go read FAQ on ATP site.

Novak has 1220 points.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/3/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity.asp?player=D643

Roddick has 1820 points.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/3/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity.asp?player=R485

Roddick is doing better right now. Stop being delusional.

JeMar
04-02-2009, 04:43 PM
He is in top 5 even if you count points from this year only (a practice that ATP abandoned), go and check if you don't believe it. So yet again, it is disrespectful and false.

Is there some place where these points can be checked easily? I really doubt that Djokovic is in ahead of Roddick if we go by results just from this year. No disrespect intended, I'd just like to check myself.

deltox
04-02-2009, 04:45 PM
Is there some place where these points can be checked easily? I really doubt that Djokovic is in ahead of Roddick if we go by results just from this year. No disrespect intended, I'd just like to check myself.

click the 2 links above and use a calculator

JeMar
04-02-2009, 04:46 PM
click the 2 links above and use a calculator

Aw, I was looking for a neat little list. Thanks anyway.

Mansewerz
04-02-2009, 11:17 PM

My post did just that, and the links had the neat little list :D

egn
04-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Nadal
Fed
Roddick
Murray
Djoker

Note Verdasco Rant:
I don't get how people are putting Verdasco in the top 5? Even if it is for the year it still makes no sense he goes ahead of Djokovic, Federer, He has made a small final this year to lose to Radek Stepanak. He played on really intense match at the AO SF in which he double faulted on match point, and now is slowly degressing. Since that he has not gone past a quarters and other than that slight threat he posed against Fed in a second set tiebreak he really has not been much of a threat to the top players. For point of reference see Andy Murray dismantling him. His year has been highlighted by an Australian Open Semi Final where he took Rafael Nadal to 5 sets. If he had lost in straights nobody would be talking about him as much..everyone as of lately is clearly overrating him. Verdasco is like Gonzo, Ferrer, Blake, Gasquet (ATM.) and Ljubcic. He is a very good player, will be low top 10 might peak around 5 for a while and will make a deep run once every blue moon to keep his ranking up, but overall like the rest he will flame out quickly and go back to the top 20-30.

Defense of Djokovic's year
I am not calling Djokovic number 1..I put him 5. He did not defend his AO, he got bounced in QF by Roddick and then got bounced again by Roddick at IW. He won Doha when the other top players were out of the tournament. Djokovic is playing better right now than everyone on the tour except those four guys in my opinion..yet we will see. Lets see if he beats Fed.

Blinkism
04-03-2009, 12:32 AM
1. Nadal
Can anyone argue against that? He's got the best results so far? 1 Grand Slam Title, 1 Master's Series Title, 1 500 series final, and 2 quarterfinals. Add to that a good showing at the Davis Cup, and he's the top player so far this year.

2. Andy Murray
Well, he's got 2 titles so far this year and been in the finals of a masters. A quarter-final appearance at the AO, added with atleast a semi-final appearance in Miami, and he's got the second best season after Nadal. This pick for me was tough to make, but I stick by it. However, once the clay season starts I wouldn't place Murray in the top 3.

3. Federer
Well he's the AO finalist, and has made 2 master's series Semi-finals. However, his season is off to a mediocre start. He can change this by winning in Miami. In that case he is automatically the #2 player of the season after Nadal.

4. Djokovic
He's pretty close to Fed at this point. I don't know why people count him out, he's got the results to prove he's a solid #4. I guess it's because he raised expectations after an amazing beginning to 2008. Well, he's got a title and he made the quarter's in Australia. He's in the semi's in Miami and if he beats Federer, he'll be truly deserving the of #3 ranking in my book.

5. Roddick
As much as I don't like him he's got the results so far to put him in this spot and beating Djokovic twice when it really mattered shows he is on the periphery of the top 4. However, his #5 position is going to be challenged and very soon as the clay season starts. Most likely someone like Del Potro, Verdasco, Simon, or Monfils will take this #5 spot after the clay season.

Notable Mention: Jo-Wilfred Tsonga, Tommy Robredo, David Ferrer, and Radek Stepanek for their solid results at the AO and the two Master's, but especially for the rest of the season so far.

Unless Del Potro wins Miami I don't think this list is going to change drastically until the clay season starts.

Patrick_St
04-03-2009, 01:05 AM
I agree with Blinkism, except I would flop Djokovic and Roddick simply because of how Roddick has beaten Djokovic twice thus far in 2009. I also don't like Roddick, but he is indeed having a good year. Pretty much everything Blinkism said about the top three: Nadal, Murray, and Federer is spot on in my opinion.

flyer
04-03-2009, 01:10 AM
nadal
murray
federer
roddick
verdasco/djokovic

Patrick_St
04-03-2009, 01:17 AM
Another important thing to note that in my mind puts Roddick ahead of Djokovic is that he has a much better overall record so far this year at 23-4, in comparison to 17-7 by Djokovic. Roddick is also undefeated in doubles play this year and has one doubles title. Of the top 5 he has also played much more tennis so far this year than any of the other 4. If it wasn't for Fed's dismantling of Roddick in the AO and then Fed going on to the finals I would place Roddick in third place ahead of Federer. Federer has played significantly less tennis than the rest of the top four, and even though he doesn't have a title yet this year he has consistantly good results. By the way, I am definitely not a Roddick fan, so please don't pull the fanboy card out. I actually rather dislike him.

There is really no debating Nadal as one and Murray as two though as they are the only two players so far to have only lost two times in 2009.

joeri888
04-03-2009, 05:09 AM
How can you put Murray ahead of Federer? Federer's lost to him twice, but outperformed him by a mile at the AO, which is wwhat it was all about. He didn't only have a better draw but just PLAYED very well.. beside that he has ONLY lost to Nadal and Murray this year, whereas Murray and Nadalhave lost to people like Monfils, Verdasco and Del Potro etc. Beside that Federer has attained more points as well this year if I'm correct.

maximo
04-03-2009, 05:10 AM
nadal
murray
federer
roddick
verdasco/djokovic

Exactly the way i would put it. :)

batz
04-03-2009, 06:10 AM
How can you put Murray ahead of Federer? Federer's lost to him twice, but outperformed him by a mile at the AO, which is wwhat it was all about. He didn't only have a better draw but just PLAYED very well.. beside that he has ONLY lost to Nadal and Murray this year, whereas Murray and Nadalhave lost to people like Monfils, Verdasco and Del Potro etc. Beside that Federer has attained more points as well this year if I'm correct.

Murray has won two titles, made a final of one MS and the semis of another - Roger has won nothing. Murray has beaten Nadal, Roger hasn't. Murray has won more matches than Roger. Murray has lost fewer matches than Roger. Murray has beaten Roger twice.

The only area where Roger has outperformed Murray is at the AO. If you think that outweighs everything else I've just listed then fair enough.

Lefty78
04-03-2009, 09:18 AM
1. Nadal
2. Murray
3. Federer
4. Del Potro
5. Djokovic

LanceStern
04-03-2009, 09:54 AM

Murray has beaten him twice (3 times if you count exhibition), has won 2 titles to Federer's none, and has beaten Nadal (twice if you count the exhibition). He has shown more consistency than Fed in his game too.

I really can't stand the argument that a run in a Grand Slam is that much better than those feats. If that was the case, Verdasco would be higher than everyone but Fed and Nadal because he made a run to the AO semis and had match point.

It's not worth that much in terms of how good a player is.

NotSoSuper
04-03-2009, 11:18 AM
1) Nadal
2) Murray
3) Federer
4) Roddick
5) Djokovic

Blinkism
04-03-2009, 07:16 PM
4. Djokovic
He's pretty close to Fed at this point. I don't know why people count him out, he's got the results to prove he's a solid #4. I guess it's because he raised expectations after an amazing beginning to 2008. Well, he's got a title and he made the quarter's in Australia. He's in the semi's in Miami and if he beats Federer, he'll be truly deserving the of #3 ranking in my book.

It's probably a tie now. If Djokovic wins the title in Miami, he'll be the definitive #3. Federer's had too poor of a season to be #3 after Nadal and Murray. Djokovic hasn't proved himself just yet to be better than Federer this year, but if he doesn't win the Miami title he can still get ahead of Federer by going deep in Monte Carlo (Finalist or even Champion).

The Top 4 is hard to set in stone ATM, except for Nadal.

reytol
04-03-2009, 07:33 PM
I would say:

1. Nadal

2. Murray
3. Djokovic
4. Federer
5. Roddick

2,3 and 4 can interchange after Miami results.

devila
04-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Roddick choked 3rd set break points, and let the net cord ball drop hurt his match against Federer.
It's like the Tsonga match he threw away, without challenging a glaring bad call in Paris (biased with scummy, jeering fans helping Tsonga).

Patrick_St
04-03-2009, 08:11 PM
How can you put Djokovic, who is 18-7 so far this year over Roddick who is like 24-4 or something as well as undefeated in doubles? Especially when Roddick has beaten Djokovic twice? Djokovic has not had a good year so far, and he barely makes it in at five in my opinion.

Patrick_St
04-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Djokovic is still underrated and not respected by many, despite convincingly beating Federer today.

I read these lists now and laugh. Delpo, Tsonga, Verdasco, Roddick are ranked above Djokovic by many. LOL.

If you look at the year that Djokovic has had thus far it really isn't very good. Stop being bias. Other than winning in Dubai and beating a horrible looking Federer in Miami he has not had a great year so far. I personally detest Roddick, but it is very obvious he has had a better year than Djokovic. Just look at the numbers and you can see for yourself. Don't forget he has beaten Djokovic twice already this year so...

I wouldn't put anyone else other than those four: Nadal, Murray, Federer, and Roddick ahead of Djokovic though. I would say Djokovic is in solid at five. I would advise you to not let your bias blind you and to look at things open-mindedly as much as possible.

seffina
04-03-2009, 08:58 PM
I say the race points tell an accurate story:

1. Nadal 3525
2. Murray 2240
3. Federer 2010
4. Roddick 2000
5. Djokovic 1840

If Djokovic wins he'll gain 400 points and Murray and him will be tied for second place so far this year. If Murray wins, he'll be pretty close to Nadal.

Blinkism
04-03-2009, 09:01 PM
This clay season will be good for Djoko's standing. Roddick and Murray can't top Djokovic's clay prowess. And if Fed keep producing mediocre results, Djoko can grab onto a very solid #3 spot (in people's minds, not rankings, ofcourse) going into the grass season.

seffina
04-03-2009, 09:02 PM
This clay season will be good for Djoko's standing. Roddick and Murray can't top Djokovic's clay prowess. And if Fed keep producing mediocre results, Djoko can grab onto a very solid #3 spot (in people's minds, not rankings, ofcourse) going into the grass season.

Except Djokovic has a heck of a lot of points to defend during the clay season. We have no idea how good Murray will be on clay. I think he's at least up to his rankings good just because of his all around game.

BTW, Dubai and Rotterdam are both ATP 500 tournys and equally important.

Chelsea_Kiwi
04-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Points pre Miami and adding points based on Miami results. In brackets amount of tournaments plus Miami.

Nadal 3425 + 180 = 3605 (5+1) Average points per tournament: 600.8
Murray 1620 + 600/1000 = 2220/ 2620 (5+1) Average: 370/436.7
Roddick 1900 + 180 = 2080 (6+1) Average: 297.1
Federer 1650 + 360 = 2010 (3+1) Average: 502.5
Djokovic 1230 + 600/1000 = 1830/ 2230 (7+1) Average: 228.75/278.8
Tsonga 1125 + 180 = 1305 (5+1) Average: 217.5
Verdasco 1050 + 180 = 1230 (3+1) Average: 307.5

Thats what I got from the ATP (Note its including the Davis Cup and "Non countable tournaments)

IMO the top 5 are:
Nadal - by a long shot no matter how you look at it
Murray - Very close between him and Fed but gets the edge due to his H2H record.
Federer - Although hasen't won a tournament has yet to fall out in a tournament before the semis, the only one of these players to achieve this.
Roddick - Edges Djokovic though that could change if Djokovic wins Miami.
Djokovic - Average year and low amount of points gained despite the huge amount of tennis he has played this year.

Blade0324
04-04-2009, 07:19 AM
Nadal
Murray
Djoker
Roddick
then everyone else. IMO Fed. is right on the edge of this too but quickly becoming one of the everyone else. Dangerous on any given day but just not a consistant treat to the top players.

Joseph L. Barrow
04-04-2009, 08:31 PM

1. Nadal 3525
2. Murray 2240
3. Federer 2010
4. Roddick 2000
5. Djokovic 1840

If Djokovic wins he'll gain 400 points and Murray and him will be tied for second place so far this year. If Murray wins, he'll be pretty close to Nadal.
Roddick should actually be at 2080 points- 150 from Doha, 720 from Australia, 90 from San Jose, 500 from Memphis, 80 from Davis Cup, and 360 from Indian Wells, and 180 from Miami. I'm assuming the ATP doesn't include the 80 Davis Cup points officially yet because the "event" still isn't over. Since this thread is more anecdotal than strictly numerical in its quality, though, I do believe Federer belongs ahead of him based on their two head-to-head matches and Federer's better finishes in two of the three big tournaments.

clayman2000
04-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Why is Del Portros name being even mentioned in this thread. HE has won one good match this year. Thats like saying Jelena Dokic deserves to be in to top 5 for women becuase she went deep at the AO.

OliverSimon
04-04-2009, 08:52 PM

1. Nadal 3525
2. Murray 2240
3. Federer 2010
4. Roddick 2000
5. Djokovic 1840

Good point seffina!

Nadal_Freak
04-04-2009, 09:04 PM
1.) Nadal
2.) Murray
3.) Djokovic
4.) Federer
Agreed but I would Del Potro aheado as 5 instead of Roddick or Verdasco.

Joseph L. Barrow
04-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Agreed but I would Del Potro aheado as 5 instead of Roddick or Verdasco.
Roddick has done better than Del Potro in four of the five tournaments they've both participated in this season, including the Slam. The fact that Del Potro did slightly better this weekshouldn't really overrule the entire season to date.

LanceStern
04-05-2009, 12:13 AM
I can't really bash you, but I don't see at all how you can put Del Potro above Roddick, when Roddick has consistently done better than DP in all of the tournaments this year except this one.

He's been more consistent, more threatening, more solid, won more. How could you put DP above him?

bladepdb
04-05-2009, 12:23 AM
Get Fed the hell off this top 5 list. The only result he's had is finals at AO.

Nads, Murray, Roddick, Djokovic, and Tsonga (maybe) have had the best results. Tsonga's arguable but definitely not replaceable by Fed.

Joseph L. Barrow
04-05-2009, 12:28 AM
Roddick outplayed DP every where else. The Race says so.
This year alone Roddick has 2060 points.
This year alone DP has 1285 points.

So clearly DP has not outplayed Roddick. Once again the rankings over a course of 52 weeks confuse people with recent form
Well, although I think the "so far this year" specification clearly means that Roddick has the advantage in this particular discussion and belongs firmly inside this "top five," I think it should be fairly said that a 52-week ranking is arguably just as valid a measure as a year-to-date one, since it encompasses the equivalent of an entire season, and may give a better cross-section of a player's overall ability across surfaces, conditions and locations- the downside being that it is more likely to include results which are unrepresentative of the player's current performance level. In Del Potro's case, I think it's still really pretty tough to say; he did win two clay-court titles last summer to start off his rise through the rankings, but let us keep in mind that Roddick also won his first two career titles on clay in back-to-back weeks at around that same age, and hardly panned out to be a legendary clay-courter. Del Potro was the beneficiary of a pocket of the season in which nearly everyone in the top 30 was gone to the Olympics and Roddick, the only top player who had stayed, was badly out of form, leaving Del Potro the only guy on the tour at the time who was playing at a top 10 level and allowing him to run amock for a little over a month there- four titles, and he didn't have to play anyone in the top 10 aside from an out-of-form Roddick who was losing against guys like Tipsarevic and Troicki. With the other top players staying on tour, it seems unlikely Del Potro will be able defend all the points he accumulated in his run between Wimbledon and the US Open, but he may make up for it with his showings in some of the major tournaments he wasn't qualified to play in last year.

bluetrain4
04-05-2009, 12:29 AM
Get Fed the hell off this top 5 list. The only result he's had is finals at AO.

Nads, Murray, Roddick, Djokovic, and Tsonga (maybe) have had the best results. Tsonga's arguable but definitely not replaceable by Fed.

I think Tsonga would be just outside the Top 5. He's had consistent, but unspectacular results. The thing in his favor is that he really hasn't had a "bad" loss. Well, Andreev at IW was sorta bad, not because of the opponent, but because Tsonga played pretty bad, at least the second set.

SikSerb
04-05-2009, 03:49 AM
1 Nadal

2 Murray

3 Djokovic/Federer

4 Roddick

5 Tsonga

Safinator_1
04-05-2009, 05:32 AM
1. Nadal

2. Murray

3. Federer (Very close between him and Murray for 2nd but i put Murray ahead because of his victories in Doha and IW. You can argue with that its my opinion)

4. Roddick (Very solid season and just edges past Djoko in my opionion same reason with Murray V Fed. Roddicks victories in AO and IW out weighs Djoko at the moment but i am inclined to change if Djoko wins Miami)

5. Djoko (Same reason as above)

Other Notable mentions: *Verdasco, Delpo, JW

Patrick_St
04-05-2009, 05:54 AM
It seems that..

1. Nadal
2. Murray
3. Federer
4. Roddick
5. Djokovic

...is the general concensus.

Leublu tennis
04-05-2009, 06:25 AM

1. Nadal 3525
2. Murray 2240
3. Federer 2010
4. Roddick 2000
5. Djokovic 1840

If Djokovic wins he'll gain 400 points and Murray and him will be tied for second place so far this year. If Murray wins, he'll be pretty close to Nadal.What are race points? I thought ATP had done away with the foolishness of picking a #1 player each year. Where do you find this record, anyway? Thanks.

LT

goforgold99
04-05-2009, 06:36 AM
What are race points? I thought ATP had done away with the foolishness of picking a #1 player each year. Where do you find this record, anyway? Thanks.

LT

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/3/en/rankings/championsrace/default.asp

I think the race is a great indicator to who has been the best in a season so far

clayman2000
04-05-2009, 07:19 AM
Ya but you people have to understand what the question is:
Who have been the 5 best players in the world from Jan - April

Djokovic hasnt deserved to be umong the big 4. Even in Miami, his only good win was against Tsonga

His win at Dubai was not great becuase the only other top 10 player there Murray retired earlier.
In Miami he was benefitied with an easy draw. Tsonga was tired, Federer completely out of form.

danb
04-05-2009, 09:19 AM
1. Rafa
2. Murray
3. Joker
4. Del Potro
5. Fed

JeMar
04-05-2009, 09:27 AM
1. Rafa
2. Murray
3. Joker
4. Del Potro
5. Fed

Really? You're going to catapult JDP ahead of Federer, Roddick, and title winners because he took ONE match off Nadal? You're going to ignore the QF drubbing to Federer in Australia (even though it included two love sets), the QF straight-sets loss to Fish in San Jose, the straight-sets loss to Stepanek in Memphis, the embarassing loss to Nadal in Indian Wells? Seriously?

Better hold on to your seat in the bandwagon because from what I've seen, when Del Potro wins Umag this year, it's going to be a pretty tight fit up there.

Safinator_1
04-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Cmon now let the man have his say Jemar if he thinks Delp is higher than Fed so be it as ridiculous as it sounds to me i respect his thoughts though i would love to hear his reasoning for it

vtmike
04-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Cmon now let the man have his say Jemar if he thinks Delp is higher than Fed so be it as ridiculous as it sounds to me i respect his thoughts though i would love to hear his reasoning for it

I would love to hear it too...and I have a feeling it must have something to do with his very strong hatred towards Federer ;)

Safinator_1
04-05-2009, 09:37 AM
I would love to hear it too...and I have a feeling it must have something to do with his very strong hatred towards Federer ;)

Wouldn't be the first time i've seen like this 8-)

danb
04-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Really? You're going to catapult JDP ahead of Federer, Roddick, and title winners because he took ONE match off Nadal? You're going to ignore the QF drubbing to Federer in Australia (even though it included two love sets), the QF straight-sets loss to Fish in San Jose, the straight-sets loss to Stepanek in Memphis, the embarassing loss to Nadal in Indian Wells? Seriously?

Better hold on to your seat in the bandwagon because from what I've seen, when Del Potro wins Umag this year, it's going to be a pretty tight fit up there.

OK - JMDP is 5th and Fed is 4th.