PDA

View Full Version : Is Nadal grunting less?

slicefox
04-02-2009, 04:37 PM
I don't know if it's problem with the microphones or the volume on my TV, but I hear Nadal grunting a lot less often than he used to (which was on 99% of shots).

So is Nadal finally growing up? I think so, I've also noticed he's growing a bit of facial hair. Finally, puberty is upon him.

OJ ROD
04-02-2009, 04:46 PM
That's a hell of a title for your post man, seriously.

slicefox
04-02-2009, 04:49 PM
That's a hell of a title for your post man, seriously.

You got any suggestions?

GPG
04-02-2009, 04:52 PM
IMO, he is playing with less power and more strategy, that's why he's not grunting that much (and also that's why he is doing better=

CanadianChic
04-03-2009, 12:36 AM
I don't know if it's problem with the microphones or the volume on my TV, but I hear Nadal grunting a lot less often than he used to (which was on 99% of shots).

So is Nadal finally growing up? I think so, I've also noticed he's growing a bit of facial hair. Finally, puberty is upon him.

Creepy.........*rereads post*.........yep, still creepy.

OJ ROD
04-04-2009, 06:19 AM
You got any suggestions?

Easy cowboy, I didn't mean it like that.

Nadalfan89
04-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Well considering how easy it's been for him in the last year to win matches...I don't think he has to grunt anymore.

Maybe Federer should start grunting instead of crying after every shot.

dextor
04-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Well considering how easy it's been for him in the last year to win matches...I don't think he has to grunt anymore.

Maybe Federer should start grunting instead of crying after every shot.

Nadal even grunts on the practice courts, no need to conciously force himself to change, nothing wrong with it. Doesn`t bother me at all.

ruerooo
04-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Nadal even grunts on the practice courts, no need to conciously force himself to change, nothing wrong with it. Doesn`t bother me at all.

A lot of martial artists do it. It helps to generate power from the center of the body instead of straining the extremities.

I've never figured out why people whine so much about it.

ruerooo
04-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Creepy.........*rereads post*.........yep, still creepy.

I quite agree.

(I've noticed Rafa lets his beard grow through the tournaments since, like, Wimbledon 08. He shows up clean-shaven but just doesn't focus on it until he's holding his trophy at the end. And what's funny is that some of the other players seem to be starting to copy him doing it. Did you see JDMP? :D)

JoshDragon
04-04-2009, 09:48 AM
A lot of martial artists do it. It helps to generate power from the center of the body instead of straining the extremities.

I've never figured out why people whine so much about it.

Agree 100% that's a great point to bring up.

ruerooo
04-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Agree 100% that's a great point to bring up.

Thank you. :D

It just puzzles me that so many of the people who complain about it are also sportspeople. You'd think they would have considered it by now.

Also, he's not the only one who does it. I've heard Nando do it, Massu, La Mano Piedra (Gonzo), Marat, Djoker Smurf -- I've even heard Roger do it on his serve, and Richard (who I guess will still go by "Baby Fed" until the real Baby Fed gets here), the latter two of whom are known in part for their ninja silence.

And my guess is that they know it because they're sportsmen and it's their business to know about cross-training techniques that can help.

I guess Rafa irritates some people because his sounds -- like his shots -- are so explosive, and they think his game is ugly.

I think his game is beautiful. His angles are brilliant, and I love to see him race around the court like a cheetah and shout.

(I also think he may have reduced its frequency because he's varying the power of his shots more, so then there's the element of surprise when he lets one go with one of those crosscourt backhands or buggy-whip forehands.)

To each his/her own, I guess.
But it just amazes me that people think he couldn't have picked it up as a cross-training element, when clearly the Nadal team is crack/state of the art when it comes to looking for advantages at all times.

That people have no idea where it might have come from, and that there might be a legitimate reason why he does it -- especially when the complaints come from people that claim to be sportsmen and women -- that's just a little ignorant to me. :roll:

Cyan
04-04-2009, 10:52 AM

LOL.....................

S H O W S T O P P E R !
04-04-2009, 11:18 AM
nadalfreak probably has statistics on this, ask him.

slicefox
04-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Wrong wrong wrong wrong, sir.

Martial artists don't scream like they're taking a dump. What they are doing is breathing out quickly when you go for a punch, it is a result from quickly contracting the abdominal muscles.

Breathing out should be almost silent, Nadal just screams like he's been shot in the leg.

AprilFool
04-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Wrong wrong wrong wrong, sir.

Martial artists don't scream like they're taking a dump. What they are doing is breathing out quickly when you go for a punch, it is a result from quickly contracting the abdominal muscles.

Breathing out should be almost silent, Nadal just screams like he's been shot in the leg.

Wrong. Venus Williams screams like sh'e just been shot in the leg.

True about breathing out. (see Roger Federer) "Grunt" is a ludicrous term for what Nadal and an increasing amount of others do.

OJ ROD
04-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Wrong. Venus Williams screams like sh'e just been shot in the leg.
True about breathing out. (see Roger Federer) "Grunt" is a ludicrous term for what Nadal and an increasing amount of others do.

Agreed man. What she does is downright unnecessary.

Jchurch
04-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Agreed man. What she does is downright unnecessary.

I think it was in the doubles at the AO this year but there was a point where all four of the players were at the net. When Venus hit a volley directly at one of her opponents, she let out the loudest scream I have ever heard from her. Makes you wonder whether or not some players do it to try and distract their opponent.

rafan
04-22-2009, 09:52 PM

Good post. I notice that how much he grunts is very much in relation to how serious the match is. I notice also he is grunting more now that he is back on clay for some reason. He grunted a lot playing Murray and Djko who obviously pose a threat to him. It is something I discussed with his fans here who also noticed

paulorenzo
04-22-2009, 09:57 PM
nadalfreak probably has statistics on this, ask him.

ahaha. the guy seemed to have calmed down. just like rafa.