PDA

View Full Version : LM Radical with CAP Grommets

kinsella
03-08-2005, 07:07 PM
For a good picture that show this can work, look at p. 28 of the USTA March April magazine showing 15 yr. old Donald Young with his LM Rad and CAPs.

Who says slightly built youngsters cannot handle a high swingweight?

epatton
03-08-2005, 07:45 PM
It is obviously a paintjob of the radical if you look closely at the lm section at the 2 5 7 and 11 oclock postions as it is painted a diff shade of gray.

kinsella
03-08-2005, 09:40 PM
EP

When manufacturers do a "paint job" you cannot tell it by faulty painting or using the wrong color -- they seem to know where to get "factory" paint. If what you are saying is that Young actually plays a Prestige, why would Head paint it? Many have tried the LM Rad with CAP and like it.

Veritas
03-09-2005, 03:26 PM
What I think he is saying is that the pieces that are raised on the LM Radical are painted with two different shades of gray on the the paintjob to give it a "raised" effect.

epatton
03-09-2005, 04:08 PM
Exactly. Im not saying I no what racquet he is using but it hast to be a paintjob.

rich s
03-09-2005, 04:32 PM
look at the intersection of the cross bridge at the yoke. If the union between the two is flat it is a Prestige. If the union between the two is tapered and blended it is a Rad.

I don't have the magazine but that would be an obvious difference between the two if it is discernable.

GermaniumGenie
03-09-2005, 05:17 PM
What is a CAP? What do they do? Where can I get them?

rich s
03-09-2005, 05:21 PM
What is a CAP? What do they do? Where can I get them?

why would you want something that you have no idea what it does?

aj_m2009
03-09-2005, 06:08 PM
why would you want something that you have no idea what it does?

Well can you answer the question anyway 'casue I don't know what it is either?

GermaniumGenie
03-09-2005, 06:38 PM
lol, I don't want them...I just haven't seen them anywhere :-D

rich s
03-09-2005, 07:04 PM
they are grommet sets that have an outer "cover" integrated into the grommets that cover the strings to protect them.

PrestigeClassic
03-09-2005, 09:24 PM
look at the intersection of the cross bridge at the yoke. If the union between the two is flat it is a Prestige. If the union between the two is tapered and blended it is a Rad.

I don't have the magazine but that would be an obvious difference between the two if it is discernable.

I guess there's no such thing as an i.prestige, then? A better comparison would be between the head shapes.

kinsella
03-10-2005, 07:43 AM
To understand what CAP grommets are:

Look at the picture of the LM PRestige (mid and MP). The grommet strips have extensions that form a bumper all along the outside of the frame, from throat to throat. The original play was probably to protect the racquet, but the extra plastic is actually sort of heavy and adds several grams of weight to the head.

kinsella
03-10-2005, 07:48 AM
To respond to the post:

I don't think you can draw such fine distinctions from a photograph printed in a magazine, taken under a blazing sun. I will agree that you can see the LM strips as being painted on in alternating shades of silver, but it is just as likely a real LM whose photograph was not reproduced perfectly in a magazine. The photographers in these mags are outstanding, but technical problems remain. Then printing a photo in a magazine is a very challening technical event. Sometimes when parts of a photo are washed out in glare (such as shiny silver items in the direct sun), the photo is "touched up."

Hoo nose?

rich s
03-10-2005, 04:55 PM
To respond to the post:

I don't think you can draw such fine distinctions from a photograph printed in a magazine, taken under a blazing sun. I will agree that you can see the LM strips as being painted on in alternating shades of silver, but it is just as likely a real LM whose photograph was not reproduced perfectly in a magazine. The photographers in these mags are outstanding, but technical problems remain. Then printing a photo in a magazine is a very challening technical event. Sometimes when parts of a photo are washed out in glare (such as shiny silver items in the direct sun), the photo is "touched up."

Hoo nose?

Gary - my issue came today..... I saw the photo and the yoke/bridge area is tapered/blended ala the radical.

My guess would be a Ti Rad MP or PT280 painted like an LM Rad with CAP grommets. The racquet in the picture does have an 18x20 pattern.