View Full Version : Roddick

03-08-2005, 07:36 PM
Could anyone inform me on what type of dampener Roddick utilizes?
To me it looks as if it's a piece of rubber band tied around his racquet.

03-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Bingo, but a retail dampener will do a better job at silencing the ping. Roddick and Agassi don't need much ping reduction because they string so high.

03-09-2005, 04:39 AM
I disagree. I used retail dampeners for many years before switching to a rubberband. I believe they provide the same amount of dampening.

03-09-2005, 11:42 AM
Well if that's what suits you - that's all that matters. I found that retail dampeners have more substance and string contact to absorb the string vibrations, especially the ones which weave through the strings.

On a side note, I saw this guy who had dampeners under the bottom and over the top cross. Now that's some gnarly damplification dude!

Grant Morgan
03-09-2005, 01:48 PM
The rubber band works the best. Though you do need the right size. AA and AR both use a rubber band by Plymouth size 64. This is a fact.

03-09-2005, 07:26 PM
lol, nice info grant, thats an interesting correlation. when you string, do you put on the rubber band for your customers, or shock absorber, or do they do that themselves?

03-09-2005, 10:44 PM
Andy uses rubberbands and so do I love em'. When those dampeners fly off it is hard to find them. Plus they cost a lot $5 or something like that?

03-10-2005, 08:21 AM
hmm where do u get these rubber bands? and is there a specific way to tie them?

03-10-2005, 03:46 PM
hmm where do u get these rubber bands? and is there a specific way to tie them?
I was wondering the same thing.

03-11-2005, 04:38 PM
It's a rubberband from a chain like Office Depot. There is a specific way to tie them, go to http://home.pacbell.net/gmlasam/rubberband.html