PDA

View Full Version : Verdasco's Australian run was a fluke

Cesc Fabregas
04-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Im starting to think Verdasco's run in Australia was a fluke since then he choked against Fed and got blown off the court against Murray once a flake always a flake imo.

batz
04-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Im starting to think Verdasco's run in Australia was a fluke since then he choked against Fed and got blown off the court against Murray once a flake always a flake imo.

A tad harsh maybe Cesc, he did pick up an injury early on againt Murray. But I do think it's fair to say he's not really built much on his AO performance.

NotSoSuper
04-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Im strating to think that too, but its also a little to early to tell.

cknobman
04-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Verdasco didnt pick up that injury in the 2nd game of the first set, it was the second game of the second set.

He had a full set and 2 games of suckage before the injury.

People jumped on the bandwagon too fast. Hes top 10-15 caliber...but thats it.

shadows
04-03-2009, 09:22 AM
He just went to the quarters of both masters series, that's top 8 right there...

Whilst he's not playing at the level he was in the AO he's still going deep in (big) tournaments.

Federer4life
04-03-2009, 09:38 AM
IMO he is a solid top 8 player for years to come. I dont see him winning a major but a few masters is in his grasp.

Gugafan
04-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Verdasco didnt pick up that injury in the 2nd game of the first set, it was the second game of the second set.

He had a full set and 2 games of suckage before the injury.

People jumped on the bandwagon too fast. Hes top 10-15 caliber...but thats it.

A tad harsh. Lets not forget Murray is a nightmare player for many of the top guys. He absolutely gives you no rhythm with his unorthodox style of play. In Australia, Murray had won 2 of the first 3 sets 6-1 and 6-2. Almost half of the match had past before Verdasco could start reading Murrays game style. Three of the four losses in 09 have been against Fed, Nadal and Murray. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Del Potro seems to have bounced back after being humiliated by Federer at the Aus Open. In a similar way, I would expect Verdasco to rebound with the big game that he possesses.

Tennis Sucks
04-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Hey! Not everyone that has a good run at the Australian Open is a fluke. Marcos Bagdhatis has wo...er, hmmm.....

Bobble
04-03-2009, 11:02 AM
He is top 20 material for sure

samster
04-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Verdasco played poorly yesterday against Murray and Murray wasn't even doing anything spectacular.

Fedexeon
04-03-2009, 11:04 AM
I don't think its a fluke. He has been playing well in Indian Wells and Miami to get to the quarterfinals in both big tournaments... No fluke here.

JoshDragon
04-03-2009, 11:09 AM
IMO he is a solid top 8 player for years to come. I dont see him winning a major but a few masters is in his grasp.

I agree, he's got the talent to be in the top 8 at some point. Verdasco's biggest problem is his consistency

bluetrain4
04-03-2009, 11:18 AM
His run at the AO was to the semis. It's not like he won it. He may not live up to his AO potential every time out, but for a guy who was prone to early round upsets, striking inconsistency, and total mental lapses previously, following up the AO with two Masters QFs, while not unbelievable, is pretty respectable.

Verdasco doesn't strike me as someone who is going to win Slams (though it's not impossible). If he stays fit and stays committed to the "new" Verdasco, then I see him doing what he's been doing - challenging for positions deep in the big tournaments, a big win here or there

Yeah, the Murray match was bad, but a windy stadium, an off day, and Murray's retrieving will do that to people.

UncleRico.
04-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Yeah, the Murray match was bad, but a windy stadium, an off day, and Murray's retrieving will do that to people.
Tell that to Nadal.

There just always seems to be a surprise at the Australian, since its so early in the season, not everyone is in form. Tsonga, Gonzalez, Baghdatis, someone gets hot in the tournament and can really roll. Heck, even Thomas Johansson won it once. Dokic made it deep this year too.

Andre dominated it for a bit, cause the guy was never out of form. And he had to beat Rainer Schuttler for one of them :)

ShcMad
04-03-2009, 11:49 AM

Except for 1 or 2 matches, these past two weeks, Verdasco has been playing like his old self.

bluetrain4
04-03-2009, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE=UncleRico.;3283061]Tell that to Nadal. QUOTE]

True, the opponent and conditions were the same (if not worse) for Nadal in IW. But, he wasn't having an off day, which makes Murray into a whole different opponent.