PDA

View Full Version : Miami tournament should be removed from the ATP (SPOILER WARNING)

iamke55
04-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Actually it's not even a spoiler, it'll save you from the agony of watching the worst ATP match of the year.

Is this even tennis? What are the chances that Nadal, Djokovic, Federer, and Verdasco are ALL playing the worst matches of their year(maybe even career) at the same time? Djokovic didn't even lose his match, playing the lowest level of tennis I've ever seen Federer lose to. Maybe if one of the top 4 has a terrible day you consider that normal, but here the three guys who dominated everyone at the Australian Open are losing against players who have more unforced errors than winners. That's a sign the conditions are not suitable for playing tennis.

I think Federer summed up the quality of play of this tournament nicely here:
http://i44.tinypic.com/qps0vo.jpg

bluetrain4
04-03-2009, 11:18 AM
This is what I wrote in another thread:

A pro tournament (or multiple tournaments) has been played in the Miami area for a very long time, and there has been plenty of exceptional tennis despite the conditions. Match quality and tournament quality will always have a natural variance, and maybe this year we're on the bad side of that variance.

tudwell
04-03-2009, 12:05 PM
I agree. If Federer plays poorly - axe the tournament.

mikeler
04-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Spring time in the United States is windy. Doesn't matter if you are on the the west coast in Indian Wells or the east coast in Miami. Those tournaments should be played in January and February as lead up events to the Australian Open which should move to March.

tahiti
04-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Nonsense, it's a great tournament. Rafa's out , Fed's out and angry :) and the tournament just a whole lot more interesting :)

Tempyst
04-03-2009, 12:29 PM
I agree. If Federer plays poorly - axe the tournament.

You clearly didn't see the whole picture of the OP.

tudwell
04-03-2009, 12:30 PM
You clearly didn't see the whole picture of the OP.

Why do you say that? I was just stating my own opinion...

LuckyR
04-03-2009, 12:31 PM
Actually it's not even a spoiler, it'll save you from the agony of watching the worst ATP match of the year.

Is this even tennis? What are the chances that Nadal, Djokovic, Federer, and Verdasco are ALL playing the worst matches of their year(maybe even career) at the same time? Djokovic didn't even lose his match, playing the lowest level of tennis I've ever seen Federer lose to. Maybe if one of the top 4 has a terrible day you consider that normal, but here the three guys who dominated everyone at the Australian Open are losing against players who have more unforced errors than winners. That's a sign the conditions are not suitable for playing tennis.

Well, I am not disputing your overall point but remember Nadal won more points than Del Potro in his loss, so nowhere near his worst match of his career.

iamke55
04-03-2009, 12:58 PM
It's not just one guy that played bad. Nadal is the least likely player in the world to choke away a two break lead in the final set. There were several times in this tournament where you feel the player can only play this bad once every couple years. For all of these performances to happen in the same tournament, suggests something about the conditions.

bluetrain4
04-03-2009, 01:00 PM
It's not just one guy that played bad. Nadal is the least likely player in the world to choke away a two break lead in the final set. There were several times in this tournament where you feel the player can only play this bad once every couple years. For all of these performances to happen in the same tournament, suggests something about the conditions.

We here on TW are powerless. Call the ATP and WTA.

norbac
04-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Nonsense, it's a great tournament. Rafa's out , Fed's out and angry :) and the tournament just a whole lot more interesting :)

Agreed, I'm loving this tournament if only for the fact that no one is really dominating that much. It's wide open right now.

kelz
04-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Agreed, I'm loving this tournament if only for the fact that no one is really dominating that much. It's wide open right now.

haha, you make it seem as if the world's number 200 is in the semi finals. I hope the underdog del Potro wins :)

edmondsm
04-03-2009, 02:04 PM
I can't help but think that the wind had something to do with all this. It was windy in the IW final and it was one of the worst finals I've ever seen. The weather all over the country has been down right miserable lately. Hopefully Europe is better during the clay swing.

Leublu tennis
04-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Well, I am not disputing your overall point but remember Nadal won more points than Del Potro in his loss, so nowhere near his worst match of his career.Maybe its just late, but I sure don't understand what you are saying. Nadal won 180 points while defending 700. So he lost 520 points. Del Potro is only defending 40 points. So as of now he has gained 320 points (360 - 40).

paulorenzo
04-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Maybe its just late, but I sure don't understand what you are saying. Nadal won 180 points while defending 700. So he lost 520 points. Del Potro is only defending 40 points. So as of now he has gained 320 points (360 - 40).

maybe he meant, between the points played out in the match, nadal won more of them than del potro?

rubberduckies
04-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Maybe its just late, but I sure don't understand what you are saying. Nadal won 180 points while defending 700. So he lost 520 points. Del Potro is only defending 40 points. So as of now he has gained 320 points (360 - 40).

I think he's talking about the actually number of points (as in point, set, match) each player won during the match.

gj011
04-03-2009, 03:34 PM
LOL. Silly thread.
If we start removing from the tour every tournament where Federer loses, like Fed fanboys are proposing now, there is not going to be many tournaments left to play.

breadstick
04-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Hasn't Miami won players favourite tournament award for like the last 3 years?

EtePras
04-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Hasn't Miami won players favourite tournament award for like the last 3 years?

Streak is over gg

Lefty78
04-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Lame posts should be removed from the TW forums (spoiler warning)

dugger5688
04-03-2009, 10:45 PM
All I can say is that being home sick the last two days has been a complete waste with the level of tennis being played at Miami. I would have rather seen some WTA "action" than watch the Verdasco/Murray match. That match was an embarrassment, didn't get to see the Fed match, but sounds like it was just as (if not more) terrible.

I completely agree that the windy conditions here in the US are fairly predictable and should be accommodated for.

Challenger
04-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Yeah, let's just conveniently forget about the Nadal-Wawrinka match. Since Fed sucked it up, nuke the tournament.

iamke55
04-04-2009, 12:17 AM
lmao @ haters with no reading comprehension. Reminds me of the *******s who said "one loss doesn't end his career" after he lost 10, 20 times last year.

Leublu tennis
04-04-2009, 01:01 AM
maybe he meant, between the points played out in the match, nadal won more of them than del potro?
I think he's talking about the actually number of points (as in point, set, match) each player won during the match.

Thanks guys. It was late here in Europe.

heathenrider
04-04-2009, 03:14 AM
the fans were dissrespectfull, shouting out in the middle of services
that is the only thing that will deter me from attending this tournament in the future.

tenis
04-04-2009, 10:15 AM
the fans were dissrespectfull, shouting out in the middle of services
that is the only thing that will deter me from attending this tournament in the future.

I agree, a lot of "noise", even during the points.

All-rounder
04-04-2009, 10:37 AM
I can't help but think that the wind had something to do with all this. It was windy in the IW final and it was one of the worst finals I've ever seen. The weather all over the country has been down right miserable lately. Hopefully Europe is better during the clay swing.
I'm with you bring on the European clay season that should have some epic matches played there for sure

Cyan
04-04-2009, 10:44 AM
I don't think so. The purple courts are pretty to watch.

CyBorg
04-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Why don't they go with har-tru? Charleston has har-tru.

Love Game
04-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Spring time in the United States is windy. Doesn't matter if you are on the the west coast in Indian Wells or the east coast in Miami. Those tournaments should be played in January and February as lead up events to the Australian Open which should move to March.

one problem with that: January in Australia is summertime, but January in the United States of American is winter. Tennis is traditionally a summertime sport. Sports spectators in January and February in the USA sit there bundled up in overcoats and mufflers--not the type of attire tennis fans expect to have to wear.

Nadal_Freak
04-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Too many hardcourt tournaments I agree to. Not sure if Miami is the one to get rid of. Especially since they do a good job taking care of the players as I've heard. I'd say get rid of Cincinnati.

boredone3456
04-04-2009, 02:40 PM

I disagree with that. When a bunch of players play bad its the fault of the tournament? Not the fact that Fed can't straighten out his head this year and couldn't take advantage of Novaks poor play. Or the fact that Del Potro played what to this point is the best match of his career against Nadal. Nadal just won Indian Wells, he's human and the Indian Wells Miami double is hard to do, especially for someone for whom hardcourts is still their worst surface.

Fed has been playing terrible by his standards all year and has yet to win a title this year, how is that Miami's Fault? As for Novak he to has been playing at a lower level that last year all year, because all this comes to head at one tournament that tournament should be cut from the tour because players looked bad during it? Its the players fault they looked as bad as they did, the tournament can't help it if players play poorly or are ill prepared for the conditions that tournament puts before them. The tournament provides the venue, its up to players to do the rest.