PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop MW 200g 90"??

andrew_slattery
03-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Has anyone heard of this racquet? Ive heard the MW 200g 95", but not in the 90" variation. Can someone please comment on how it plays, feels, etc. and what strings are best for this particular racquet?

I am considering buying a couple - there is a tennis shop in Sydney, Australia with some stock left - they are selling them very cheaply.

Thanks,

- Andrew.

galain
03-09-2005, 12:48 AM
Andrew

I saw a few going for around $130 down here in Melbourne last year too, but their cosmetics said "100G". Interesting that there is a 200G 90 in Oz as well. Very nice pickup feel but I didn't hit with it for very long and when I did it was only against a wall. It felt more solid than I would have expected - a bit stiffer than my usual frames but nice enough. I thought about picking one up for novelty value but I honestly don't think I would have used it. From my limited experience it felt good, but there was no "wow" factor to make me think seriously about buying it.

gash-b
03-09-2005, 04:48 AM
It must be the same as the 100G that was sold here in Japan up until about a year ago. I think that I first saw it around 2002 or 2003, probably the same time when the yellow 200G came out. It has the same cosmetics as the MW 200G, but with a 100G logo. To be honest, I never hit with the racket before, but it didn't seem to be so popular. They were selling for fairly cheap before basically disappearing.

According to a Japanese website that I found, a guy who tested it mentioned that when strung at 60 lbs, it was very difficult to handle...could not get any depth on the shots, etc. However, when lowering the tension to the mid 50s, it reacted much better, and volleys were much better, but with the limited sweet spot, it was still not a racket for everyone.

Ash Doyle
03-09-2005, 05:12 AM
I had a MW200G 90". It said MW200G on it. From what I understand the racquet was only offerred in Japan and Australia. I don't know the exact weight, but it was much lighter than what I would have expected a 90" players racquet to be.

10sNut
03-09-2005, 06:37 AM
Hi Andrew,

I played the MW 90 for approx. 5 months and had mixed results with it as far as matches go (4.5 singles and doubles). Like most of the guys here have posted about mid size frames, I have to agree that if you play a good bit, they will reward you with super control, but on a bad day you don't get much help. I added a little lead at 2 and 10 to bring the sweetspot up a bit on mine. Hitting the flat ball is what that frame seemed to handle best (serves and groundies). These are some strings that were recommended to me for this frame: Isospeed Professional, Tecnifibre Comp, Topspin Cyber Flash, Luxilon TiMo, Yonex Tour Super 850 Pro (58 lb range). If you like to s/v and are playing some decent competition (hard hitters), the MW 90 will definitely take the sting out of their shots. Good luck.

Aaron

PrestigeClassic
03-09-2005, 08:08 AM
It must be the same as the 100G that was sold here in Japan up until about a year ago. I think that I first saw it around 2002 or 2003, probably the same time when the yellow 200G came out. It has the same cosmetics as the MW 200G, but with a 100G logo. To be honest, I never hit with the racket before, but it didn't seem to be so popular. They were selling for fairly cheap before basically disappearing.

According to a Japanese website that I found, a guy who tested it mentioned that when strung at 60 lbs, it was very difficult to handle...could not get any depth on the shots, etc. However, when lowering the tension to the mid 50s, it reacted much better, and volleys were much better, but with the limited sweet spot, it was still not a racket for everyone.

No, the 100G and 200G 90 are different frames. The 100G seems to have a thinner beam and was made for Europe. At that tension, I'd think it would be difficult to handle, too! Doesn't it have an 18x20 in a small headsize?

andrew_slattery
03-09-2005, 11:54 AM
Yes, the 100g and 200g 90" both have 18x20 string patterns in a 90" head.

gash-b
03-10-2005, 01:28 AM
Maybe a bit confusing...I never mentioned that the MW 100G and the 200G 90 were the same, but rather the MW 100G/200G have the same yellow cosmetics. As for the frame thickness, the 100G has something like a 18 or 19 mm thickness, just slightly less than the 200G.

At any rate, according to people's general evaluations here, the racket was more difficult to use when strung at the middle of recommended tension range, but it was apparently better when strung a bit lower.

Jet Rink
04-26-2005, 04:36 PM
This may be the thread:

Any of you guys know where one of these can be purchased?

Jet

zeusmerlin
04-26-2005, 09:46 PM
t.o.p.s.e.r.v.e.com.au

has it on their website

Jet Rink
04-27-2005, 05:55 AM
Many thanks Zeus.

Jet