PDA

View Full Version : Is this guy for real???

louis netman
03-08-2005, 10:21 PM
Was just reading a review of the PS 6.0 and stumbled upon this info: TW has a racket playtester, level 5.5, who's regular stick is a Prince Thunderlite OS. Turns out this thing is 9 oz., 115 sq. inches and 28" long. Is this guy for real???

nimxnooj
03-08-2005, 11:59 PM
juss cuz he doesn't use a conventional "player's" racket doesn't mean that he's not good. Watever works for him, watever floats his boat, is wat he should play with. Serena and Agassi use oversize rackets (granted, they're not 115 in^2) but compared to a lot of the other touring pros who use mids, they're considered pretty big. Anyways, its not the wand that makes the magician, its the magician that makes the wand...or something along those longs.

Grimjack
03-09-2005, 04:22 AM
Don't worry, the Council will get to him soon enough. We can't have these rogues running around playing serious tennis with less-than-serious sticks. There'll be no sacred cows slaughtered on my watch.

:Kramerstaff4life:

b.
03-09-2005, 06:43 AM
It makes his review more interesting, in conjunction with others.

louis netman
03-09-2005, 09:29 AM
Sorry, this post was meant to be humorous...just my consumerist nature. Actually, it makes the racket in question more desirable to a wider range of readers. Covering all the bases in playtester's regular sticks, fictitious or otherwise just makes alot of marketing sense. Hey TW, I'll be out in San Luis sometime in May...Would like to arrange some singles with that 5.5 using the 9 ounce stick...

Z-Man
03-09-2005, 11:06 AM
I played a guy in a tournament last weekend who is said to be #5 nationally in the 50+ age division. I'm a decent 4.5 and he completely schooled me using an oversized granny stick. He could wail on the serve and his drop shots were absurd. It was humbling, and I have a new respect for old dudes wielding butterfly nets...

Steve Huff
03-09-2005, 12:13 PM
Prince ThunderLite OS is 27" long, 110 sq in, unless he got the extended version. That one is 28" long, but still 110 sq in. Just strung one last week.

kreative
03-09-2005, 12:38 PM
didn't seles play w/ a 115" yonex that was light, head heavy?

raftermania
03-09-2005, 12:48 PM
Sorry, this post was meant to be humorous...just my consumerist nature. Actually, it makes the racket in question more desirable to a wider range of readers. Covering all the bases in playtester's regular sticks, fictitious or otherwise just makes alot of marketing sense. Hey TW, I'll be out in San Luis sometime in May...Would like to arrange some singles with that 5.5 using the 9 ounce stick...

oh boy, challenging the poor playtesters to a game hahaah

TW Staff
03-09-2005, 01:01 PM
Iím pretty sure Mark still plays with the same racquet, although he was swinging a Yonex V-Con 17 for a short while.
He still plays a very solid 5.5 serve and volley game.

Louis, if you're looking for a whooping, I'll see what I can set up!

Cheers,
Chris, TW.

lacoster
03-09-2005, 01:37 PM
Yonex made a frame for Seles that was actually 130 sq. in. and 28 in. long in 1998 called the SRQ1000 long and actually got to the French Open finals with that beast.

http://www2.raisport.rai.it/news/sport/tennis/199806/04/3576def80644b/SELES6498.JPG
________
300SEL 6.3 (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_300SEL_6.3)

BHud
03-09-2005, 04:38 PM
Boys...many of the 5.0-5.5 players in my area use OS light racquets...Prince Turbo Outlaws, Sharks, Screams. Most are former solid D1 college players in their late 40s and up. I hit w/ a Scream the other day and never experienced such heavy and pentrating groundstrokes w/ such little effort. The downside didn't occur until the next day...when I couldn't move my arm because it hurt so bad.

Trust me, there are way too many clowns out there using "player's sticks" to prop up their egos...I'd rather build mine up in the "wins" column (although I have yet to make such a drastic move, but I'm always considering it).