PDA

View Full Version : Painting a frame???

activentures
03-09-2005, 03:59 AM
Has anyone ever painted a racket? What advice can you give me? Got some old frames that I want to refresh, thinking of all white like rafters warrior.

deflori
03-09-2005, 05:26 AM
go to a Carpaintingshop...noproblem
They have the best colortablets..

georgeyew
03-09-2005, 06:13 AM
I am in the process of painting a racquet. Here are some lessons learned....

1. Remove all grommets and clean racquet (I used rubbing alcohol).
2. Before painting, make sure that all lint/fuzz are removed.
3. Remove or cover the grip with news paper and masking tape (make sure the whole grip is covered, almost air tight).
4. Get a string and tie one end to the grip and hang the racquet from a tree branch.
5. Paint outside, but not on a windy day.
6. Shake can well, every couple of passes.
7. Go with many thin coats, heavy coats will make the paint run...it is easy to over do it.
8. Wait 10-15 minutes between coats.
9. After the last coat, let it dry for several days to let the paint harden (I am waiting at least 10 days). Push your finger nail into the paint to test the hardness. If the paint is not completely hardened, the paint will chip or scratch when the racquet is mounted on the stringer.

I am waiting to clear coat my racquet. I painted it chrome to try and blind my opponents :)

joe sch
03-09-2005, 07:15 AM
I am in the process of painting a racquet. Here are some lessons learned....

1. Remove all grommets and clean racquet (I used rubbing alcohol).
2. Before painting, make sure that all lint/fuzz are removed.
3. Remove or cover the grip with news paper and masking tape (make sure the whole grip is covered, almost air tight).
4. Get a string and tie one end to the grip and hang the racquet from a tree branch.
5. Paint outside, but not on a windy day.
6. Shake can well, every couple of passes.
7. Go with many thin coats, heavy coats will make the paint run...it is easy to over do it.
8. Wait 10-15 minutes between coats.
9. After the last coat, let it dry for several days to let the paint harden (I am waiting at least 10 days). Push your finger nail into the paint to test the hardness. If the paint is not completely hardened, the paint will chip or scratch when the racquet is mounted on the stringer.

I am waiting to clear coat my racquet. I painted it chrome to try and blind my opponents :)

You forgot the most important step, sanding off the original paint. Wow, chrome, maybe it will reflect back into your face on your follow thrus

georgeyew
03-09-2005, 09:40 AM
I painted right over my existing paint and the new paint seems to be sticking fine. I guess that only time will tell how well it holds.

I wanted to look like real chrome, but the spray paint is very bright silver at best. But it is close enough. I wonder how they paint the spray can caps to look like real chrome...