PDA

View Full Version : Andy Murray --GS winner 2009 ?

Staiger
04-04-2009, 05:52 AM
After watching the match yesterday , I was very impress with his gameplay and his style . His attitude was very good towards the end when D/P took the 3minutes time-out . For most other players , they would complaint .

I think Murray got everything in his game ,and his defensive play is brilliant. Very patient on the court and hit winners when if the oppotunity arrive .His backhand is one of the best among the top 5 pros and his forehand is extremely consistent. One thing he lack is his 2nd serve but I beilve he would win a grandslam by the end of the year !!! watch this Space

hoodjem
04-04-2009, 05:57 AM
Either Wimbledon (maybe) or the USO (better shot IMO).

Not RG.

Another question--
For Nadal--will this be a two slam or three slam year?

Gugafan
04-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Future world no 1 in the making. Fantastic display of allcourt tennis to dismantle Del Potro yesterday. Murray has unreal anticipation. This was picked up by the commenators, he seems to move before his opponent hits the shot. It must get kinda scary, when Murray is able to return 'your best' with interest. The fact of the matter is, Murray is able to make top players feel 'uncomfortable' on court. Something Nadal also does very well.

Murray is certainly not afraid of laying down a benchmark for the season. He has commented that he's current form is worthy of the no 1 rank , providing he maintains current form. I think with the work ethos he brings on the court, he is destined to be world no 1 in the near future.

Cesc Fabregas
04-04-2009, 08:32 AM
Future world no 1 in the making. Fantastic display of allcourt tennis to dismantle Del Potro yesterday. Murray has unreal anticipation. This was picked up by the commenators, he seems to move before his opponent hits the shot. It must get kinda scary, when Murray is able to return 'your best' with interest. The fact of the matter is, Murray is able to make top players feel 'uncomfortable' on court. Something Nadal also does very well.

Murray is certainly not afraid of laying down a benchmark for the season. He has commented that he's current form is worthy of the no 1 rank , providing he maintains current form. I think with the work ethos he brings on the court, he is destined to be world no 1 in the near future.

Well he has to start doing it at the slams rather than just best of 3 set small HC tournments and he's a one surface player he wont ever be number 1.

mozzer
04-04-2009, 09:05 AM
He is playing better than both Djokavic and Federer. Theres no reason why he cant win a hard court slam.

batz
04-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Well he has to start doing it at the slams rather than just best of 3 set small HC tournments and he's a one surface player he wont ever be number 1.

Agree 100% with that, preferably within the next 18 months.

re the OP's question, this year Murray has no chance of winning RG, an outside chance of winning Wimbledon and as decent chance of winning the US.

JoshDragon
04-04-2009, 09:41 AM

Not RG.

Another question--

Actually I think this may be a calendar year grand slam year for him. Murray will probably have a better chance of winning a major at the US Open in 2010 or 11.

SempreSami
04-04-2009, 10:59 AM

Masters events are small now? :roll:

egn
04-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Masters events are small now? :roll:

Since they are best of 3 finals they are losing a bit of prestige.

Murray slam in 2010. I still pick Djoker over him in the US Open in 2009 and I think tomorrows match will support my conclusions.

T1000
04-04-2009, 11:34 AM
not this year. maybe in the next 2 or 3

Love Game
04-04-2009, 12:42 PM
i agree with those who think not this year. however, i have seen quite an improvement since the first time i saw him against gasquet and then nadal at wimbledon 2008. his shellshock against federer in the uso took me quite aback, but if he continues on this upward path, then maybe 2010.

SaintClaires
04-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Murray will win the first grand slam that John Isner doesn't play in. :)

Emelia21
04-04-2009, 02:23 PM
After watching the match yesterday , I was very impress with his gameplay and his style . His attitude was very good towards the end when D/P took the 3minutes time-out . For most other players , they would complaint .

I think Murray got everything in his game ,and his defensive play is brilliant. Very patient on the court and hit winners when if the oppotunity arrive .His backhand is one of the best among the top 5 pros and his forehand is extremely consistent. One thing he lack is his 2nd serve but I beilve he would win a grandslam by the end of the year !!! watch this Space

Thats what I would like him to improve :cry: his best shot IMO is at US Open

jaggy
04-04-2009, 05:44 PM
He has had some issues with back to back big wins, Im still not convinced he is ready for a slam.

Ocean Drive
04-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Hope this guy never wins a slam.

GameSampras
04-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Maybe the USO this year. But so far his slam performances have not impressed me. He does well at these 3 set HC tourneys, but the slams are a different story. He was humiliated at the USO by Fed and taken out by the inferior player Verdasco at the AO

Mansewerz
04-05-2009, 11:09 AM
It depends on how he does in best of 5 matches from now on. I don't see why he won't win one as of right now.

maximo
04-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Maybe the USO this year. But so far his slam performances have not impressed me. He does well at these 3 set HC tourneys, but the slams are a different story. He was humiliated at the USO by Fed and taken out by the inferior player Verdasco at the AO

Well, the inferior Verdasco got annihilated in the QF of Miami.

GameSampras
04-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Well, the inferior Verdasco got annihilated in the QF of Miami.

Well why didnt Murray do this when more was on the line? Thats my point. Murray proves he can hang at the Smaller Tourneys. But cant at the slams

Blinkism
04-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Andy Murray win a GS title in 2009?

Only if he meets Djokovic in the final.

Eviscerator
04-05-2009, 11:15 AM
If he maintains his conditioning and keeps his mental game strong, he has a good shot this year.

bladepdb
04-05-2009, 11:18 AM
If he meets Nadal in the final of a GS I don't see it happening.

Anyone else thoguh, and it's a perfect opportunity for him.

Fed, Djokovic...not mentally strong enough to take out Murray now. MAYBE Fed, but judging by his performance so far, I highly doubt it.

Murray's only lost to Nadal and Dasco this year. I don't see anyone being an issue for Murray except Nadal (loss to Dasco was avenged to avoid any mental block down the road).

clayman2000
04-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Since they are best of 3 finals they are losing a bit of prestige.

Murray slam in 2010. I still pick Djoker over him in the US Open in 2009 and I think tomorrows match will support my conclusions.
Apparently not.

Djokovic does not have fight to win a major. I do not think he will win another major in his career. Thats right folks you heard it hear first.

As for Murray, look at for Wimby 09. Its where he first broke out, and thats where hell win his first major. While i think Nadal would be the favourite going into the tourney, Murray would certainly have a good chance.

Besides clay, which we dont know how Murray will play, he is clearly the no 2 player everywhere else.

egn
04-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Apparently not.

Djokovic does not have fight to win a major. I do not think he will win another major in his career. Thats right folks you heard it hear first.

As for Murray, look at for Wimby 09. Its where he first broke out, and thats where hell win his first major. While i think Nadal would be the favourite going into the tourney, Murray would certainly have a good chance.

Besides clay, which we dont know how Murray will play, he is clearly the no 2 player everywhere else.

He has yet to prove he is no.2 on grass

Cesc Fabregas
04-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Murray's clay court game is poor and grass game is average the US Open is his only shot at a slam this year.

Staiger
04-05-2009, 12:30 PM
I dont think he will win Wimbledon , there is too much expectation and pressure when he is back in UK and it really show . (as they dont have any other hopes).
I would say the US open is the best bet ,his game suit the hard-court and I can see him have the mental strength for a 5 set match . He did say he done some work on improving his fitness and getting fresh sooner as the schedule for GSs are often hectic

Staiger
04-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Murray's clay court game is poor and grass game is average the US Open is his only shot at a slam this year.

Murray's clay court game aint that bad , he used to play alot of clay when he was in Spain in his younger days . I think he will suit the clay (his speed and flexibility) . he also can vary his game very well which is a plus !

If he got to the RG final against Nadal , I wouldnt think it would be too one-sided ......thou we all know who is going away with the title :(

Spider
04-07-2009, 09:02 AM
Interesting thread, Murray surely has a chance to win each of the next three slams this year, if he plays his best tennis. There is no way fed ever beats him again (unless ofcourse Murray is injured or something). He has a very good chance to win both Wimbledon and the US open this year. I am not quite sure whether he is ready to win RG yet, but this clay court season would tell us whether Murray can win 3 slams this year.

batz
04-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Interesting thread, Murray surely has a chance to win each of the next three slams this year, if he plays his best tennis. There is no way fed ever beats him again (unless ofcourse Murray is injured or something). He has a very good chance to win both Wimbledon and the US open this year. I am not quite sure whether he is ready to win RG yet, but this clay court season would tell us whether Murray can win 3 slams this year.

Sorry Spider, but Andy has next to no chance of winning RG. He himself says a reasonable target this year is QF.

I also think it's a bit premature to write Roger off.

ChiefAce
04-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Clay is a different beast, bad bounces and different footing. People will more effectively hit behind Murray on dirt. These little changes affect how well his game works enough that he won't be contending for a title at the French. It's also 3 out of 5, he's yet to prove he can play retriever for two weeks against the very best.

nikdom
04-07-2009, 10:12 AM
My predictions for the rest of the year -

Roland Garros - Rafa
Wimbledon - Roger
USO - Murray
Year End Masters - Murray

OddJack
04-07-2009, 10:17 AM

Not RG.

Another question--

How surprised would be if it's one slam year? He cited "personal" problems when he lost to Delpo, what if he gets another in RG?

NotSoSuper
04-07-2009, 11:26 AM
He is capable of winning a slam this year... I just dont want him to :twisted:

gj011
04-07-2009, 12:08 PM

Roland Garros - Nadal
Wimbledon - Nadal
USO - Djokovic

So no GS for Murray this year. But he will win some during his career.

P_Agony
04-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Murray has the game to win a major, the problem is, can he keep his focus for 2 weeks and longer matches. I also can't see which slam can he win at this point. Everybody bet on him to win the AO, and then we got the usual Federer-Nadal final with nor Murray in sight. The french is Nadal's to win, I just can't see how anyone can stop him. Wimbeldon is a possibily, and I feel we won't be getting our Federer-Nadal final this time, as one of them will be out before the final. Still, I say the US Open is his best shot. He got to the final last year, and he has the game to do it again. This time he might come more prepared for whoever is against him, and win.

If Murray doesn't win a slam this year, I think he'd be greatly disappointed, as he knows he currently is the #2/#1 HC player in the world, and he can play pretty well on grass too.

DunlopDood
04-07-2009, 12:17 PM
He probably will, I'm guessing the US OPEN.

grafselesfan
04-07-2009, 12:41 PM

Roland Garros - Nadal
Wimbledon - Nadal
USO - Djokovic

I dont see Djokovic beating Murray if they play each other on hard courts anytime soon. It seems for whatever reason Murray just completely has his number, the way Djokovic once completely had Murray's number. I could see Djokovic winning the U.S Open but it would have to be by say Nadal taking out Murray, then Djokovic beating Nadal. If Murray is #2 by the U.S Open it would then have to be someone taking out Murray earlier for Djokovic.

I think the U.S Open is the only somewhat Open slam for the men left this year though where several can win. Nobody can beat Nadal at the French unless he is hurt. At Wimbledon there is only an outside shot of him not winning IMO.

grafselesfan
04-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Murray has the game to win a major, the problem is, can he keep his focus for 2 weeks and longer matches. I also can't see which slam can he win at this point. Everybody bet on him to win the AO, and then we got the usual Federer-Nadal final with nor Murray in sight. The french is Nadal's to win, I just can't see how anyone can stop him. Wimbeldon is a possibily, and I feel we won't be getting our Federer-Nadal final this time, as one of them will be out before the final. Still, I say the US Open is his best shot. He got to the final last year, and he has the game to do it again. This time he might come more prepared for whoever is against him, and win.

If Murray doesn't win a slam this year, I think he'd be greatly disappointed, as he knows he currently is the #2/#1 HC player in the world, and he can play pretty well on grass too.

I agree with everything you said pretty much.

P_Agony
04-07-2009, 01:40 PM

Roland Garros - Nadal
Wimbledon - Nadal
USO - Djokovic

Do you really see Djokovic winning the Open? Really? I mean, Nadal is currently beating everybody, even on hard courts, Federer is defending chmapion, so he might have something to say about that, and Murray has defeated Djokovic in their last 3 meetings, the last of which in straight sets. Hey, I wan't Federer to win the French Open to, but there is a difference between wanting something ad actually believing it can happen.

I would say:

Roland Garros - Nadal
Wimbeldon - Federer/Nadal
US Open - Federer/Murray

Cesc Fabregas
04-07-2009, 01:46 PM

Roland Garros - Nadal
Wimbledon - Nadal
USO - Djokovic

Agree with this.

fastdunn
04-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Mastering tennis is one thing. but mastering how to win a slam is another. Murray has not mastered that one yet. It will take a big heart to master it.

gj011
04-07-2009, 02:22 PM
We shall see. Novak's form and game are underrated here by many. He was in the final in USO already, and have the game to win it all. He might not do it this year, but he has as much chance as anybody else, so picking him to win it is not that far fetched at all. Far fetched and unrealistic ATM would be picking him to win RG or Wimbledon, but USO no.

Also people should realize that USO is far far away from now. Do you remember last year? Would any of you have said that Murray would win Masters and make it to the USO final at this time last year? So lots of things could change until the USO including Djokovic's and Murray's forms.

jamesblakefan#1
04-07-2009, 03:26 PM
I do see him winning Wimbledon this year, particularly if he can overtake Fed and become #2 in the world. That way, he wouldn't have to face Nadal until the Finals, and would get either Fed or Djokovic in the Semis. Thats much better than him facing Nadal potentially in the Semis.

cadillac303
04-07-2009, 04:50 PM
I think Andy Murray is the new Marat Safin. He can beat every single person in the entire world on a good day when he focuses. But how often does that happen?

tudwell
04-07-2009, 06:32 PM
The only person who could win the Grand Slam right now is Nadal.

lawrence
04-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Hope this guy never wins a slam.

im with this post
guys game puts me to sleep

tudwell
04-07-2009, 06:39 PM
I think Andy Murray is the new Marat Safin. He can beat every single person in the entire world on a good day when he focuses. But how often does that happen?

I think he's more of a Rios. Lots of talent, can defeat the top players at smaller events and Masters tournament, but will never quite get it together to win a slam. I think he might have another couple finals, unlike Rios, but I doubt he'll ever win a slam.

Cyan
04-08-2009, 08:48 AM
I think he's more of a Rios. Lots of talent, can defeat the top players at smaller events and Masters tournament, but will never quite get it together to win a slam. I think he might have another couple finals, unlike Rios, but I doubt he'll ever win a slam.

:shock::shock::shock:

Antonio Puente
04-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Murray has to win Wimbledon or the U.S. Open, otherwise in the eyes of most, he will just become another talented player who chokes in the big moments and one who is unable to win the big tournaments. At that point, it will start messing with his mind.

IMO he's not mentally strong enough to win anything. He turns into a spoiled baby the second anything goes wrong. If one plastic bag flying through the air in Indian Wells ruins you for the rest of the day, you can forget it.

Challenger
04-08-2009, 11:27 AM
FO: Monfils
W: Tsonga
USO: Roddick

Ridiculous, I know. So sue me. I got bored of the same old Nad/Fed/Mur/Djo replies. =\

FEDERER>buttpicker.
04-08-2009, 08:15 PM
murray has no chance. federer too good.

Gen
04-09-2009, 02:16 AM
Murray is only 20 years old, and he is improving in huge steps. If he continues to work as hard as he was during the previous two years, his least place will be No.2. And even if he doesn't win a slam this year, very few people will write him off as a potential champ. RG is out of the question. Wimbledon ... his best result there was QF. Maybe a bit more experience would be required. USO is more likely, but ... there he may face revived Djokovic, or Nadal fully motivated to have a calendar slam, or the tournament management who jeopardized his winning chances giving preferential treatment to Federer again.

Cyan
04-09-2009, 07:03 AM
Murray is only 20 years old, and he is improving in huge steps. If he continues to work as hard as he was during the previous two years, his least place will be No.2. And even if he doesn't win a slam this year, very few people will write him off as a potential champ. RG is out of the question. Wimbledon ... his best result there was QF. Maybe a bit more experience would be required. USO is more likely, but ... there he may face revived Djokovic, or Nadal fully motivated to have a calendar slam, or the tournament management who jeopardized his winning chances giving preferential treatment to Federer again.

Murray turns 22 in May.