PDA

View Full Version : The Most Entertaining Player To Watch

Andyk028
04-04-2009, 06:31 AM
I heard Gimelstob talk about Monfils during the frenchman's last match in Miami and I agreed with him about how entertaining it is to watch Gael play. In your opinion, who is the most entertaining player to watch? Lets keep this to active players only (out of respect for Fabrice I'll let him in the equation).

oneguy21
04-04-2009, 06:41 AM
Federer when he's on.

hoodjem
04-04-2009, 06:44 AM
With all the smashing and crying and shanking . . .

P_Agony
04-04-2009, 06:44 AM
The only correct answer is Roger Federer.

VivalaVida
04-04-2009, 06:45 AM
Federer when he isnt playing like a high school player. Tsonga is fun to watch as well.

Telepatic
04-04-2009, 06:53 AM
Verdasco on fire was beautiful.

Nadal_Freak
04-04-2009, 07:30 AM
Nadal by quite a margin. Djokovic and Monfils after that.

Jaewonnie
04-04-2009, 07:31 AM
Gotta be Safin.

maximo
04-04-2009, 07:43 AM
Murray for sure.

joke.

phoenicks
04-04-2009, 07:53 AM
an On-fire Safin, a racquet busting Safin, on fire Federer, on fire Tsonga, Nadal & Simon when stretch out wide to turn an outright winner from opponent into their own winner.

Feņa14
04-04-2009, 08:27 AM
Murray for sure

Yeah i'd say so too, he just manages to put players in spots nobody else can (with the probable exception of Santoro) so you know you will always see something different when you turn on one of his matches.

Cesc Fabregas
04-04-2009, 08:30 AM
Murray the most exicted to player to watch? lol thats fine if you enjoy a guy bunting half paced balls back all the time.

vtmike
04-04-2009, 08:39 AM
Yeah i'd say so too, he just manages to put players in spots nobody else can (with the probable exception of Santoro) so you know you will always see something different when you turn on one of his matches.

No offence but Murray matches always make me go to sleep :)

Tennis_Maestro
04-04-2009, 08:42 AM
No offence but Murray matches always make me go to sleep :)

Reading your predictable anti-British posts makes me go to sleep.

Tennis_Maestro
04-04-2009, 08:43 AM
I'd say Verdasco, closely followed behind by Federer and Murray...

Why isn't Richard Gasquet in the poll? Have you lost your marbles?

vtmike
04-04-2009, 08:49 AM
Reading your predictable anti-British posts makes me go to sleep.

Woah!! anti-British!?! :shock: how did you reach that conclusion?? :confused:

I also said Murray>Nadal & Federer on hardcourt's based on current form in another thread...he is a good player but his game just puts me to sleep that's all...Do you think at all before you post?

markwillplay
04-04-2009, 09:11 AM
depends on what you like to see. Roger almost looks too smoothe..I have never seen anyone move that fast on a tennis court and look like it is that effortless. I have to admit that I like to see people move forward more..even shall I say it...serve and volleyers (so rare now) play more but only if they are playing people who don't like to move forward. Favorite to watch all time was Edberg.

whoops I see there is a poll...duh.. I supose I like Tsonga...very exiting.

ronalditop
04-04-2009, 09:16 AM
how can murray even be on that list? he's one of the most boring players to watch, hes a pusher who win just by waiting for the opponent to make UEs, and his antics on court, like celebrating the opponents UEs, are extremely irritating.

flyer
04-04-2009, 09:57 AM
verdasco cause you never know exactly what your going to see, at times its sublime, at others gruesome, either way you just can't turn away

BreakPoint
04-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Nadal by quite a margin. Djokovic and Monfils after that.
Maybe if you hit the "MUTE" button on your TV remote first. :-?

vtmike
04-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Maybe if hit the "MUTE" button on your TV remote first. :-?

add edit the butt-picking, and speed up the video during his serve

maximo
04-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Interesting how Roddick only got one vote...

Feņa14
04-04-2009, 10:39 AM
how can murray even be on that list? he's one of the most boring players to watch, hes a pusher who win just by waiting for the opponent to make UEs, and his antics on court, like celebrating the opponents UEs, are extremely irritating.

Murray the most exicted to player to watch? lol thats fine if you enjoy a guy bunting half paced balls back all the time.

Santoro does exactly the same, it's an art.

Much better to watch than the likes of Verdasco and Tsonga spraying balls around the stadium.

Federer at his best is awesome to watch, but Murray and Santoro are special to see.

Some people don't really get what Murray does and that's fair enough, it's a shame they can't appreciate his genius but that's the way it goes I suppose.

T1000
04-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Verdasco and tsonga when they're on

BallzofSkill
04-04-2009, 11:41 AM
federer in his heyday. don't even follow tennis much anymore since he started 'sucking', for federer's standards anyway.

Cesc Fabregas
04-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Nadal and Djokovic.

punch
04-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Gasquet, love watching him play.

SaintClaires
04-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Rik de Voest, for sure :)

fps
04-04-2009, 02:00 PM
murray, monfils, gasquet, santoro, (deep breath) federer, (takes on oxygen) safin, (passes out) gulbis, (dies) nalbandian.

SaintClaires
04-04-2009, 02:00 PM
murray, monfils, gasquet, santoro, (deep breath) federer, (takes on oxygen) safin, (passes out) gulbis, (dies) nalbandian.

Do you want me to call an ambulance? :twisted:

P_Agony
04-04-2009, 02:05 PM
The poll is surprising to me quite a bit. I expected Federer to lead by a good margin, but never expected Nadal as #2. IMO everyone the list is more exciting to watch than him, aside of Djokovic maybe.

icedevil0289
04-04-2009, 02:07 PM
The poll is surprising to me quite a bit. I expected Federer to lead by a good margin, but never expected Nadal as #2. IMO everyone the list is more exciting to watch than him, aside of Djokovic maybe.

Just because you don't find nadal exciting to watch doesn't mean every else is like that as well.

Emelia21
04-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Murray, Nadal, Tsonga and Djokovic

Nadal_Freak
04-04-2009, 02:08 PM
You don't want to like Nadal because he is taking titles away from your precious Federer.

fps
04-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Do you want me to call an ambulance? :twisted:

depends, where are you based? don't wanna trouble you on an international call.:)

P_Agony
04-04-2009, 02:10 PM
You don't want to like Nadal because he is taking titles away from your precious Federer.

I actully really like Nadal. I was talking about his game. I find it dull.

Leelord337
04-04-2009, 02:10 PM
i voted for fabrice, the magician, santoro. He's just so much fun to watch because you never know what he's going to do with the ball, plus is the best at making his opponents look stupid

thejoe
04-04-2009, 02:11 PM

Not really. He just plays a style of tennis that many don't find interesting.

P_Agony
04-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Just because you don't find nadal exciting to watch doesn't mean every else is like that as well.

I'm aware of that obviously. There are some things I guess I'll never understand. All I said it was surprising me...no need to get angry over it.

SaintClaires
04-04-2009, 02:12 PM
depends, where are you based? don't wanna trouble you on an international call.:)

New York, but I would gladly save a life.

If you continually pass out when thinking of Gulbis and Nalbandian, just breathe deeply and, just in case, ask anyone around you if they know CPR. :)

Nadal_Freak
04-04-2009, 02:13 PM
I actully really like Nadal. I was talking about his game. I find it dull.
I find that hard to believe. His game is why I'm a fan of him. His personality is just a bonus. Most of the time I like his personality but he was rough on the edges in Miami. Maybe just fatigue getting him so upset.

icedevil0289
04-04-2009, 02:13 PM
I'm aware of that obviously. There are some things I guess I'll never understand. All I said it was surprising me...no need to get angry over it.

sorry if that came across as angry. I never intended for it to be that way. Its just the way you phrased it seemed like nadal should have been at the bottom of the list or something. Anyways its not like I find his game interesting to begin with.

thejoe
04-04-2009, 02:15 PM
I find that hard to believe. His game is why I'm a fan of him. His personality is just a bonus. Most of the time I like his personality but he was rough on the edges in Miami. Maybe just fatigue getting him so upset.

It is hard to have a serious problem with him off court. If anything, him being too nice irritates me, as I believe he sugarcoats everything.

P_Agony
04-04-2009, 02:16 PM

Believe what you want. I've stated many times I like Nadal's personality. He's not perfet, but neither is Federer (far from it). I was talking game-wise and only that.

SaintClaires
04-04-2009, 02:16 PM
It is hard to have a serious problem with him off court. If anything, him being too nice irritates me, as I believe he sugarcoats everything.

Personally, I would rather have him be too nice than too arrogant or jerk-ish.

P_Agony
04-04-2009, 02:18 PM
sorry if that came across as angry. I never intended for it to be that way. Its just the way you phrased it seemed like nadal should have been at the bottom of the list or something. Anyways its not like I find his game interesting to begin with.

Well IMO Nadal should be at the bottom of the list, as his game IMO is the least exciting one. But again, that's just my opinion. Anyway, it's not surprising that Federer owns everyone else in this poll.

Nadal_Freak
04-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Well IMO Nadal should be at the bottom of the list, as his game IMO is the least exciting one. But again, that's just my opinion. Anyway, it's not surprising that Federer owns everyone else in this poll.
Name anyone winning that doesn't have fans. Winning tennis can also bring excitement to a certain group of fans. Especially those that like a nice constructed point rather than blasting through their opponents.

fps
04-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Name anyone winning that doesn't have fans. Winning tennis can also bring excitement to a certain group of fans. Especially those that like a nice constructed point rather than blasting through their opponents.

Nadal falls way further into the *blasting through opponents* than *nice constructed point* category.

P_Agony
04-04-2009, 02:26 PM

Never said Nadal shouldn't have fans. I said he's not exciting. Davydenko is not exciting and he has fans too (myself included). BTW, I don't know what you're talking about but I guess you think Federer doesn't construct points, which is simply untrue. Dare I say that in his prime nobody constructed points better than Federer. He likes them short and creative, true, but it's not like he's going to blast his opponents just for the sake of it.

Today's Federer is a bit lost out there on the court sometimes though.

tenniskid3119
04-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Monfils, safin, santoro, and verdasco. Verdasco can be absolutley mesmerizing.

Mansewerz
04-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Federer, Edberg, Safin, Nadal, Murray, and Djokovic

Oh crap, forgot Verdasco and Santoro.

fps
04-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Monfils, safin, santoro, and verdasco. Verdasco can be absolutley mesmerizing.

it's partly that high serve % and the strange spinniness and floatiness of it.

Nadal_Freak
04-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Never said Nadal shouldn't have fans. I said he's not exciting. Davydenko is not exciting and he has fans too (myself included). BTW, I don't know what you're talking about but I guess you think Federer doesn't construct points, which is simply untrue. Dare I say that in his prime nobody constructed points better than Federer. He likes them short and creative, true, but it's not like he's going to blast his opponents just for the sake of it.

Today's Federer is a bit lost out there on the court sometimes though.
Yes Fed's construction is more counter punching and big serving. Nadal likes to get to the point to neutral and use his topspin to wear down an opponent. So many different variables to a match. I don't mind Fed's style that much but his personality is what annoys me the most. So arrogant and stubborn.

fps
04-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Yes Fed's construction is more counter punching and big serving. Nadal likes to get to the point to neutral and use his topspin to wear down an opponent. So many different variables to a match. I don't mind Fed's style that much but his personality is what annoys me the most. So arrogant and stubborn.

why rip on the guy's personality in a thread about player's style? let's keep it on court.

Nadal_Freak
04-04-2009, 02:35 PM
why rip on the guy's personality in a thread about player's style? let's keep it on court.
Why not stop acting like a mod? P_Agony mentioned Nadal's personality so I mentioned Federer's. The point is it's impossible to like a style of that player if you don't like him. I can't learn to enjoy watching Federer's style because of that.

fps
04-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Why not stop acting like a mod? P_Agony mentioned Nadal's personality so I mentioned Federer's. The point is it's impossible to like a style of that player if you don't like him. I can't learn to enjoy watching Federer's style because of that.

point taken. i wish there was a guy in tennis who took it on himself to be a full-on villain, bad-mouthing the others and such. get the WWE crowd in.

Serve_Ace
04-04-2009, 02:41 PM

I don't think Agony mentioned anything about Nadal's personality excpet that he likes him as a person, but just doesn't like his style of tennis.

P_Agony
04-04-2009, 02:53 PM

It's a shame you dislike Federer. I don't know why. Yes, he's not perfect and sometimes he says stupid stuff, but Nadal isn't perfect either. No one is - they're human, you know. But he also did some nice things in his career. I just read in another thread he provided Nadal with his personal jet when Nadal didn't find a flight to the Rogers Masters. I also read he visited him in a hospital when Nadal was injured.

Nadal isn't perfect, I don't like his time delays, and I don't like when he retired a match to Davydenko, and some other stuff. But that's hardly enough to dislike the guy - the good is much greater than the bad, and that's enough for me. Federer is the same, he needs to learn to shut his mouth at times and he was saying some nasty stuff at some points, but he's doing many good things too. I like both personalities.

P_Agony
04-04-2009, 02:54 PM
point taken. i wish there was a guy in tennis who took it on himself to be a full-on villain, bad-mouthing the others and such. get the WWE crowd in.

HBK forever. For me he's the Federer of WWE.

icedevil0289
04-04-2009, 02:56 PM
It's a shame you dislike Federer. I don't know why. Yes, he's not perfect and sometimes he says stupid stuff, but Nadal isn't perfect either. No one is - they're human, you know. But he also did some nice things in his career. I just read in another thread he provided Nadal with his personal jet when Nadal didn't find a flight to the Rogers Masters. I also read he visited him in a hospital when Nadal was injured.

Nadal isn't perfect, I don't like his time delays, and I don't like when he retired a match to Davydenko, and some other stuff. But that's hardly enough to dislike the guy - the good is much greater than the bad, and that's enough for me. Federer is the same, he needs to learn to shut his mouth at times and he was saying some nasty stuff at some points, but he's doing many good things too. I like both personalities.

I like both of their personalities, they are different, but neither of them can be called jerks or bad people. Atleast that's how I feel.

SaintClaires
04-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Entertaining?

Radek Stepanek, without a doubt.

Andyk028
04-04-2009, 03:40 PM
a lot of good responses..to answer some questions:

Why didn't I put Stefan Edberg on the poll?

He's not an active player.

Why is Andy Murray on the poll?

He's number four in the world, he must be doing something right.

Why will my poll ultimately fail?

Everyone is a fan of someone, therefore voting against their favorite player is a sin in many people's eyes which is somewhat sad because they're missing out on some great tennis. Personally my favorite player is Nadal, I have the same racquet setup as him, I do the fist pump at appropriate times, and I have only one tennis shirt that has sleeves...yet I still believe Monfils is the most entertaining to watch because he will literally sacrifice his body for tennis.

Leelord337
04-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Entertaining?

Radek Stepanek, without a doubt.

I love watching the S&'V'ers too, Also Taylor Dent is very fun to watch. I can't wait to catch him at river oaks this year in houston (in a few weeks :))

lilycolefan
04-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Tsonga, Stepanek, Murray, Federer, and Djokovic (even though he's not a good net player I like his athleticism and his smooth strokes).

BreakPoint
04-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Not really. He just plays a style of tennis that many don't find interesting.
Not only is it not interesting. It can barely be described as being "tennis". :shock:

koalakoala
04-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Federer. He is always beautiful and now he can break my heart at any time.

prosealster
04-04-2009, 05:34 PM
RF in full flight is just beautiful to watch...i also love watching nads' topspin on slower courts though

Kolabear14
04-04-2009, 06:39 PM
I think that Kei Nishikori is a really interesting guy to watch
He seems to be able to chase down everything and can hit angles from just about anywhere or anytime.

simi
04-04-2009, 06:41 PM
i voted for fabrice, the magician, santoro. He's just so much fun to watch because you never know what he's going to do with the ball, plus is the best at making his opponents look stupid

Exactly! Sadly, this is his last year on the tour. I'll miss him.

Tennis360
04-04-2009, 06:42 PM
My top 2 most entertaining ATP players would be (in no particular order):
-Richard Gasquet - who's not going to enjoy watching that glorious backhand? I had the honor of watching his backhand "up close and personal" and I tell you (as probably like most people in this board who have watched him live would say) it is "hundred times" more beautiful and sublime in person as it is on TV. I recommend that backhand should be exhibited in the Louvre :)....and oh he has nice touch at the net too. but sometimes he chooses artistry over substance and can be his downfall. win or lose though, whenever he's on, i'd say no one else could be entertaining to watch.

-Roger Federer - this is artistry at its best....he makes the shots look easy (and yet effective)....now that's called pure genius.

as you can see I love players with one-handed backhand so, as for WTA, I pick Amelie Mauresmo's game to be more entertaining than the rest....:)