PDA

View Full Version : McEnroe offers to help struggling Federer

AprilFool
04-04-2009, 07:31 AM
PARIS, April 4 (Reuters) - Former great John McEnroe has offered to help Roger Federer rediscover his form after the Swiss suffered a series of uncharacteristic defeats this year.

Since the start of the season, Federer has failed to win a tournament or beat any of his rivals ranked in the world's top four.

After the world number two's latest loss to Serbia's Novak Djokovic on Friday, when he was knocked out of the Sony Ericsson Open in the semi-finals, McEnroe said he was willing to lend a helping hand.

"I would really like to help Roger. Especially as he needs to change his strategy if he wants to beat Nadal. And I have an idea about that," the American was quoted as saying in the French weekly Le Journal du Dimanche on Saturday.

"I can't see myself accompanying a player all year long but it could be really interesting to help out from time to time."

"I think (Federer) will beat Pete Sampras's record of 14 grand slam wins. But it will not be easy at all for him to become world number one again," McEnroe, a former world number one himself, said.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/tennisNews/idUKL460330220090404

VivalaVida
04-04-2009, 07:45 AM
Federer should accept and have mcenroe help on his volleys. Feds baseline game is turning into pure garbage.

Lotto
04-04-2009, 07:47 AM
Federer, accept or I'll give you a kick up the bum :twisted:

AprilFool
04-04-2009, 07:54 AM
Federer, accept or I'll give you a kick up the bum :twisted:

:)

I think he likes Mac, so this could happen.

lordmanji
04-04-2009, 08:16 AM
mac knows a thing or two about dethroning kings. i think even if its a "coach consultant" fed would do well to heed mac.

Lotto
04-04-2009, 08:18 AM
I hope this happens but would it really benefit Roger?

I think that Federer could win Roland Garros IF he :

1) Hired Mac

2) Listened to Mac.

There's a difference between having a coach and listening to one.

Also, hit baseline came is garbage at the moment because he's not right mentally and he's serverly lacking confidence. If he got back to the confidence level he was at in 2006 his baseline came would return.

GameSampras
04-04-2009, 08:23 AM
He's getting a bit worried about his dear Sampras' record now :rolleyes:

I wouldnt care if Nadal obliterated Sampras' slam record by 10-15 slams . I would be there. Nadal has shown so much more professionalism and seems just like a better human being.

but like I mentioned before.. The only reason guys are coming to the rescue for Pete is to keep their name in the headlines and say it was them who got Roger over the hump. They are doing it more for self absorbed reasons than to actually help Fed

Lotto
04-04-2009, 08:23 AM
I wouldnt care if Nadal obliterated Sampras' slam record by 10-15 slams . I would be there. Nadal has shown so much more professionalism and seems just like a better human being.

But we're not talking about Nadal here :p

GameSampras
04-04-2009, 08:24 AM
Why would Mac want to help Fed? Hes trashed him tons of times over the years

Cesc Fabregas
04-04-2009, 08:25 AM
Lol McEnroe is probably dreaming about Federer breaking the slam record with him coaching Fed so he gets all the praise,Mac and Fed are both ego maniacs there made to be together.

GameSampras
04-04-2009, 08:25 AM
Apparently you know more about Federer than all the past greats & current ATP circuit who think he is a great guy :shock:

Where do u get your information.. Not everyone thinks Fed is a great guy on tour. Ive heard more positive feedback about Nadal than Fed

vtmike
04-04-2009, 08:27 AM
Where do u get your information.. Not everyone thinks Fed is a great guy on tour. Ive heard more positive feedback about Nadal than Fed

And all the players report to you personally about how good Nadal is? :shock:

GameSampras
04-04-2009, 08:28 AM
And all the players report to you personally about how good Nadal is? :shock:

Jankovic? Yess yess her

vtmike
04-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Jankovic? Yess yess her

Ok fine you can go ahead and base your conclusions on Jankovic's interview...All I see is a lot of pro's voting for him and praising him in the media too...but you can go ahead and ignore all of that too to make your point...

You obviously hate Fed...maybe because he is getting close to Sampras or maybe because some people put him over Sampras in the "GOAT discussions" I don't know...I really don't care about the GOAT title...It's stupid to begin with as each fan will have their own GOAT based on different criterion's

There is really nothing I can add so I'm not going to bother replying to you anymore...

swedechris
04-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Mac was scammed in that art thing in NYC and now needs some buckaroos.. LOL

Serve_Ace
04-04-2009, 09:20 AM
McEnroe sees himself in Roger

JoshDragon
04-04-2009, 09:26 AM

But he never had the career of Federer.

ruerooo
04-04-2009, 09:27 AM

Must have been the racquet smash that did it.

I don't know if Roger sees himself in Mac, though. I think Roger would accept help from Edberg if he offered.

But I wonder why people aren't talking more about him accepting help from this guy, Larri Passos, who coached Guga. Especially with clay season coming up.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=253168

Especially since

1) Passos said he'd be willing to travel with Roger, thereby dodging the (alleged) Cahill problem issue; and

2) it was Guga himself, coached by Passos, who took Roger out of RG in 2004.

Bhagi Katbamna
04-04-2009, 09:30 AM
I think Mac really likes Federer and wants to help. I remember around the beginning of 1983, Mac was losing every match to Lendl and Don Budge just said one thing to him and he went on a tear for the next 2 years.

Serve_Ace
04-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Must have been the racquet smash that did it.

I don't know if Roger sees himself in Mac, though. I think Roger would accept help from Edberg if he offered.

But I wonder why people aren't talking more about him accepting help from this guy, Larri Passos, who coached Guga. Especially with clay season coming up.

Especially since

1) Passos said he'd be willing to travel with Roger, thereby dodging the (alleged) Cahill problem issue; and

2) it was Guga himself, coached by Passos, who took Roger out of RG in 2004.

I agree, I think Federer would be a lot more open to listen to one of his childhood idols, didn't Roger try to model his game after Edberg? I think that Roger might get touched and fired up again seeing so many champions just pulling for him and wanting him to achieve true greatness.

Serve_Ace
04-04-2009, 09:38 AM
But he never had the career of Federer.

I was thinking more along the talent in the game and the passion.

niktub
04-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Mcenroe+Federer=Murray

TheNatural
04-04-2009, 10:14 AM
He already said that in another article recently(before this week)

The commentators are always picking apart Fed's sloppy volleying technique and indecisiveness in his net game so I guess that's one area Mac could help a bit

All-rounder
04-04-2009, 10:16 AM
He already said that in another article recently(before this week)

The commentators are always picking apart Fed's sloppy volleying technique and indecisiveness in his net game so I guess that's one area Mac could help a bit
wouldn't it be better for edberg to offer instead for that particular area

fps
04-04-2009, 10:36 AM
a bbc blogger put the interesting suggestion that federer's unbeatable status in 04-06 benefitted him, rather than especially hindering his opponents. in other words, win after win gave him the confidence to play his game, more than it put others off playing theirs.

it's possible. his mental game is certainly shot.

icedevil0289
04-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Guess which ATP player was the only one to send James Blake a get well card while he was in the hospital, yep the selfish jerk- Roger Federer. :mad:

lol. Selfish jerk roger federer also gave nadal a ride on his jet when nadal had problems getting a flight, I forgot when though. He also visited nadal when he was injured in 2005. Boy he such a horrible person.

ruerooo
04-04-2009, 10:48 AM
lol. Selfish jerk roger federer also gave nadal a ride on his jet when nadal had problems getting a flight, I forgot when though.
Rogers' Cup, Canada.

He also visited nadal when he was injured in 2005.
Basel.

icedevil0289
04-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Rogers' Cup, Canada.

Basel.

thanks.

10 char

ruerooo
04-04-2009, 10:50 AM
wouldn't it be better for edberg to offer instead for that particular area

Didn't I just say that a couple of posts ago?

icedevil0289
04-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Heh. It's going to be a loooong start to the clay season.

Personally, I think Roger should at least look into working with Larri Passos, who coached Guga, who took Roger out of RG in 2004 -- and not least b/c Passos said he'd be willing to travel full-time with Roger, which was the rock the (alleged) Cahill agreement split on.

It sounds like it would be a good idea. It can't hurt and like you said Passos would be willing to travel with him full time.

jrod
04-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Mac is a self-serving egomaniac. Granted he knows the game but his coaching record is, well, practically non-existent. Fed appears to be incapable of listening and changing his ways to date, so he undoubtedly has similar issues to Mac. I don't see this working out. Could be wrong, but I just don't see it.

thejoe
04-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Mcenroe to me represents the smartest player ever to play the game. This sounds like a great idea.

vtmike
04-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Wait so we are now citing Federer on his horrible unprofessionalism but we are not criticizing McEnroe? McEnroe who if he went a match without cursing, smashing a racket, yelling at a judge, or being a complete a jerk. McEnroe was a great player but I was so damn happy when Lendl beamed one into him cause someone needed to teach him a lesson. Have you ever thought some people like Federer? They realized Federer has a high level of talent and want to help him. All the top players are egomanics, Pancho Gonzales in his new york times interview. Borg has said a fair share of great ego maniac phrases. Even Sampras in an interview once said I would love to play again there are not that many great players out there today hinting at how he could easily dominate over todays field. You may believe to be true but those are all ego factors. It is almost impossible to not have an ego when you are a 4 year number 1 ranked player and have 13 slams..

Cause you can judge human characteristics from watching them on t.v and a few interviews where Rafa kisses Federer's ***. The man beneath always looks better lets see Rafa in two or three years, but Federer is not satan and Rafa is no god.

So I am guessing you have the atp top 100 all registered in your phone?

Ooh Jankovic cried because Federer said what everyone else was saying for the past year. She got to number one due to a very week field and a not dedicated or injured top players. Nothing we all on this board have not said, but because Federer said it OH NO HE IS A JERK. I gave Federer a high five for being the first tennis player to actually call the WTA out. Someone needed to give them a wake up call and be like stop sucking you are killing the sport.

OWNED X 4 Good Job!

And this is what I said before too...the guy thinks he knows more than the pros who play Fed regularly throughout the year...all he sees is the pressers where players tend to be very moody

Cesc Fabregas
04-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Wow, a thread about McEnroe and Federer and you're calling FEDERER the "jerk"? :confused: :-?

Well everyone knows McEnroe is a jerk people are just sick of hearing 'Federer is a class act' 365 days a year

Cesc Fabregas
04-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Wow, Federer breaks his racquet ONE TIME and all of a sudden he's being labeled a racquet smasher as if he was Safin or Gonzales?

Sure he did all the time when he was younger and he also lost his rag in the Wimbledon 2007 final when Nadal was handling him unfortantly Rafa got injured and lost.

T1000
04-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Yes completely agree with this.

Federer on the contrary is a sore loser, bashes his fellow players on the press conferences, throws bottles for ball kids to pickup, refuses to shake umpire's hands, has enormous hungry ego, cries after losses without regards for the winner, ...
No class whatsoever.

I actually don't think racquet smashing is that bad, but all the other things he does make those fake "sportsmanship" awards he just got, false and worthless.

:confused: Not sure what that means
He only threw the bottles and refused to shake the umps hand after one match because a five year old girl couldve beaten him that day. its not right but lets not judge him on one match

gj011
04-04-2009, 11:41 AM
:confused: Not sure what that means
He only threw the bottles and refused to shake the umps hand after one match because a five year old girl couldve beaten him that day. its not right but lets not judge him on one match

Nevermind, probably lost in translation.

Sure, sure, 5 years old girl would have beat him :roll: Well he better get used to 5 year old girls beat him regularly then, since this is closer his real level now than 2006 Federer you guys still dream about.

BreakPoint
04-04-2009, 11:43 AM
People are bandwagoners and like to support winners, and this is the only reason Federer has so many supporters ATM.

But people already started to jump off that bandwagon quickly. It won't be long until it is almost empty if Federer continues with his classless behavior now when there is no dominance any more and he is not winning 15 tournaments per year (thank god).
How wrong you are my boy. I would be a big fan of Federer even if he was ranked #1000 in the world. I really don't care if he wins every tournament. I just enjoy watching him play his beautiful game.

Cesc Fabregas
04-04-2009, 11:44 AM
And so did Borg.

We're talking about the ATP Tour here. Does Gonzo ever get through even a single match without smashing at least one racquet? And how many matches on the ATP Tour has Federer played?

Borg stopped when he was a 14 year old, Federer was a brat on court till about 21 big difference.

mandy01
04-04-2009, 11:45 AM
lol. Selfish jerk roger federer also gave nadal a ride on his jet when nadal had problems getting a flight, I forgot when though. He also visited nadal when he was injured in 2005. Boy he such a horrible person. exactly..I think the jet ride was to Cincy .About the visit-yes,Nadal was in Switzerland I think.Roger himself was injured and wasnt going to play any tournament till TMC.People just want to pick the guy apart.Every great player has an ego and Nadal is no angel on the court...off it..well..I prefer Roger's outspoken nature anytime and everytime.But thats my choice.Nadal neverthless is a nice guy.

And like someone else mentioned..Roger was the only guy on tour to send James Blake that get well card and nobody knew about it till James Blake himself spoke out .No player is perfect.Their nature is made of faults just like anyone elses.These keyboard experts would be utter disasters in Federer's place,thats for sure.They're humans and they all go through their highs and lows like everyone else.

Lsmkenpo
Nevermind, probably lost in translation.

Sure, sure, 5 years old girl would have beat him :roll: Well he better get used to 5 year old girls beat him regularly then, since this is his real level now.

Yes, this is his real level now,the past 4 years and 12 GS were a fluke, he was playing above his true level the whole time. :-?

icedevil0289
How wrong you are my boy. I would be a big fan of Federer even if he was ranked #1000 in the world. I really don't care if he wins every tournament. I just enjoy watching him play his beautiful game.

same here. I love watching him play and that's why I'm a fan. First people here act like they know federer on a personal level and now they are so sure of the reason fans support roger.

hoodjem
04-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Fed could get Mac to help with his volleys,
Borg to help with his groundstrokes,
Edberg to help with his backhand,
Laver to help with winning strategy,
Sampras to help with serves.

Seriously, I think there are already too many voices in his head.

mandy01
04-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Borg stopped when he was a 14 year old, Federer was a brat on court till about 21 big difference.he wasnt a brat..his anger was directed at himself.. being unable to control your emotions dosent equate to being bratty.

mandy01
04-04-2009, 11:49 AM
same here. I love watching him play and that's why I'm a fan. First people here act like they know federer on a personal level and now they are so sure of the reason fans support roger. same here...I dont give a damn about bandwagon hoppers.I'm a Federer fan and that will not change.

icedevil0289
04-04-2009, 11:49 AM
exactly..I think the jet ride was to Cincy .About the visit-yes,Nadal was in Switzerland I think.Roger himself was injured and wasnt going to play any tournament till TMC.People just want to pick the guy apart.Every great player has an ego and Nadal is no angel on the court...off it..well..I prefer Roger's outspoken nature anytime and everytime.But thats my choice.Nadal neverthless is a nice guy.

And like someone else mentioned..Roger was the only guy on tour to send James Blake that get well card and nobody knew about it till James Blake himself spoke out .No player is perfect.Their nature is made of faults just like anyone elses.These keyboard experts would be utter disasters in Federer's place,thats for sure.They're humans and they all go through their highs and lows like everyone else.

Beautiful post!

mandy01
04-04-2009, 11:54 AM
Wait so we are now citing Federer on his horrible unprofessionalism but we are not criticizing McEnroe? McEnroe who if he went a match without cursing, smashing a racket, yelling at a judge, or being a complete a jerk. McEnroe was a great player but I was so damn happy when Lendl beamed one into him cause someone needed to teach him a lesson. Have you ever thought some people like Federer? They realized Federer has a high level of talent and want to help him. All the top players are egomanics, Pancho Gonzales in his new york times interview. Borg has said a fair share of great ego maniac phrases. Even Sampras in an interview once said I would love to play again there are not that many great players out there today hinting at how he could easily dominate over todays field. You may believe to be true but those are all ego factors. It is almost impossible to not have an ego when you are a 4 year number 1 ranked player and have 13 slams..

Cause you can judge human characteristics from watching them on t.v and a few interviews where Rafa kisses Federer's ***. The man beneath always looks better lets see Rafa in two or three years, but Federer is not satan and Rafa is no god.

So I am guessing you have the atp top 100 all registered in your phone?

Can you say double owned?

Ooh Jankovic cried because Federer said what everyone else was saying for the past year. She got to number one due to a very week field and a not dedicated or injured top players. Nothing we all on this board have not said, but because Federer said it OH NO HE IS A JERK. I gave Federer a high five for being the first tennis player to actually call the WTA out. Someone needed to give them a wake up call and be like stop sucking you are killing the sport.
agree with most of that:)

gj011
04-04-2009, 12:10 PM

We all know you are special BP and I have no doubt that this is true for you, but most of the people are not like that.

gj011
04-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Yes, this is his real level now,the past 4 years and 12 GS were a fluke, he was playing above his true level the whole time. :-?

I am talking about level he is capable of playing now, not 2 and more years ago.

Serve_Ace
04-04-2009, 12:13 PM

Same here, I will always be a Federer fan no matter win or lose. His strokes are just beautiful and just amazing, even when he makes those unforced errors his strokes still looks good. Sometimes when I'm watching Roger play I wonder if I'm watching to see him win or just too see that beautiful forehand.

CCNM
04-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Uhhhh let's try to enjoy Roger while he's still playing okay?

helloworld
04-04-2009, 12:26 PM
I think people should just leave him alone. He already has too much pressure on himself. The more people want to help, the more they will hurt him.

marc45
04-04-2009, 12:30 PM
does mcenroe need to be at the center of everything?....i guess i know the answer to that....so he will be calling the wimbledon final and then run down to the coaching box during the changeover/commercial break?....he would love that

coolhandluke
04-04-2009, 01:37 PM
help fed? the only person mac likes to help is Mac. Does any one remember how much he helped the US davis cup team? As soon as they lost he quit!

wilsondude
04-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Federer should accept and have mcenroe help on his volleys. Feds baseline game is turning into pure garbage.

You just said that he should work on his volleys because his baseline game is turning into pure garbage. When something goes wrong, in this case the forehand and backhand, you fix it. You dont go and make better parts of your game even better when the groundstrokes need fixing. Thats the number one priority, not volleys. He hits more groundstrokes then volleys by far so i think that the groundies need work now more than anything.

SaintClaires
04-04-2009, 02:02 PM
I wouldn't exactly say Federer is "struggling."

If he starts losing in the first or second rounds of events, them maybe......

AprilFool
04-04-2009, 02:38 PM
So anyway, I think Fed should think about Mac's offer.

P_Agony
04-04-2009, 02:39 PM
lol. Selfish jerk roger federer also gave nadal a ride on his jet when nadal had problems getting a flight, I forgot when though. He also visited nadal when he was injured in 2005. Boy he such a horrible person.

Wow, I didn't know that. He was also the only player to care when Blake was in the hospital. Federer is such a class act.

Mansewerz
04-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Accept it Roger. I was thinking maybe Edberg would be a good coach for Fed. Why not Mac!!

Hot Sauce
04-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Everybody wants to help Federer because they think that they can make tweaks to his game, or strategies that will help him win.

But I can't see anything helping Fed until he gets over his mental problems. He is too stubborn to change, and he is one of the most mentally unstable players on the tour right now. It's like he has so much pride in the game that he's been playing his whole life, that got him the 13 slams, and he doesn't think he needs to change anything. It's like he just thinks he's having an off day... but this is happening on a regular basis.

CHANGE FEDERER.

P_Agony
04-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Fed rarely does retire or take time outs, but I wouldn't say he didn't quit yesterday. Physically he might have been oncourt for the whole time, but mentally he was gone. From where I was watching, he looked like he gave up. I'm definitely not a fan of nole's retirements, but I don't think we can judge him for it completely. As far as his parents go, I admit I found them annoying and overbearing at times, but they are just like any other parents, supportive, just a bit more vocal about it. From what I've read and heard they seem to put a lot of pressure on nole. Don't know if that's true or not.

Point is, Federer could easily retire the match yesterday, saying it's hot and he doesn't feel well. He didn't, he let Djokovic have his win, and played the game to the very last point, even if it wasn't working. Federer is such a professional in that regard. I think Djokovic will regret retiring so many matches later in his career.

JeMar
04-04-2009, 03:02 PM
This is just McEnroe seeking more attention.

Fed doesn't need hugs, Mac.

AprilFool
04-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Fed rarely does retire or take time outs, but I wouldn't say he didn't quit yesterday. Physically he might have been oncourt for the whole time, but mentally he was gone. From where I was watching, he looked like he gave up. I'm definitely not a fan of nole's retirements, but I don't think we can judge him for it completely. As far as his parents go, I admit I found them annoying and overbearing at times, but they are just like any other parents, supportive, just a bit more vocal about it. From what I've read and heard they seem to put a lot of pressure on nole. Don't know if that's true or not.

I heard something about him nearly checking into a clinic for his back while in Cali. Back problems have a nasty (well-deserved) reputation of refusing to leave.
There certainly didn't appear to be anything wrong with him in the first set.
Very strange.

icedevil0289
04-04-2009, 03:07 PM
I heard something about him nearly checking into a clinic for his back while in Cali. Back problems have a nasty (well-deserved) reputation of refusing to leave.
There certainly didn't appear to be anything wrong with him in the first set.
Very strange.

Its not his back, or atleast I don't think it is. Imo, its 90% mental. Btw, apparently mcenroe said this after the AO loss. It makes sense since he's talking about the gs record and beating nadal.

AprilFool
04-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Its not his back, or atleast I don't think it is. Imo, its 90% mental. Btw, apparently mcenroe said this after the AO loss. It makes sense since he's talking about the gs record and beating nadal.

Thanks. It appeared in a cluster of Federer related news events for today.
Sorry about that.:oops:

icedevil0289
04-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Thanks. It appeared in a cluster of Federer related news events for today.
Sorry about that.:oops:

No problem. I mean his back could be a problem, but I think its a very minor problem compared to everything else.

AprilFool
04-04-2009, 03:22 PM
No problem. I mean his back could be a problem, but I think its a very minor problem compared to everything else.

I lean more towards believing it's some mental foible as well.

BTW, that article has Mac quoted after Friday's loss.

icedevil0289
04-04-2009, 03:25 PM
I lean more towards believing it's some mental foible as well.

BTW, that article has Mac quoted after Friday's loss.

I know, but I remember reading something similar after the AO loss. It seems like they just recycled it again after fed had another loss.

EPaps
04-04-2009, 03:54 PM
I hope this happens but would it really benefit Roger?

I think that Federer could win Roland Garros IF he :

1) Hired Mac

2) Listened to Mac.

There's a difference between having a coach and listening to one.

Also, hit baseline came is garbage at the moment because he's not right mentally and he's serverly lacking confidence. If he got back to the confidence level he was at in 2006 his baseline came would return.

I totally agree.

lawrence
04-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Well everyone knows McEnroe is a jerk people are just sick of hearing 'Federer is a class act' 365 days a year

what the hell forums have you been visiting? look at the last like 80 fed posts, over 60% of them are about one of the following
a) fed is a crybaby
b) feds career is over
c) fed is a racketsmasher (lol)
d) etc

BreakPoint
04-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Borg stopped when he was a 14 year old, Federer was a brat on court till about 21 big difference.
Federer was only 19 when he beat Sampras at Wimbledon. He certainly did not even remotely act like a "brat" then.

And if showing emotion on the court makes you a "brat", then Nadal must be the biggest "brat" that ever lived.

BreakPoint
04-04-2009, 04:06 PM
What you consider watching him shanking every backhand beautiful:confused:
Yes. And if shanking "every backhand" still allows him to win 13 Grand Slams, what does that say about his competition? Maybe everyone else on the pro tour should learn how to shank their backhands more. Maybe then they could get one measly GS title. :oops:

Nadal_Freak
04-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Is it a surprise here? Fed breaks his racquet and McEnroe instantly wants to help Federer? :D

Mungo73
04-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Is it a surprise here? Fed breaks his racquet and McEnroe instantly wants to help Federer? :D

yeah and he didnt shake hands with the umpire, that touched john mac's heart

oneguy21
04-04-2009, 04:20 PM
If McEnroe wants to help him, Federer should gladly accept.

There is no question that a coach is what he needs. I hope things move quickly and make it a done deal.

Lotto
04-04-2009, 04:29 PM
I totally agree.

Cause I mean, at that level you dont "forget" how to hit certain shots. You dont lose your technique, you dont lose ability or whatever. You lose one thing and most players keep the other but in Fed's case he's losing both. 1) His head and 2) Movement

Now, Fed's movement is still sensational and probably better then everyone's except for Murray and Nadal but he's still not as good as he used to be in that department.

And then the BIGGEST thing possible, to go wrong for you at that level is the mind. At that level tennis is DEFINITELY 90% mental.

Now, I've never played anywhere near that level but I know from experience how important the mental side of tennis is, and CONFIDENCE and SELF-BELIEF are probably two of the most important attributes a tennis player can have. Look at Nadal. His Self-Belief levels are INCREDIBLE! He ALWAYS believes he can win if you look at his face. As, I think John Yandell said in a post in the tips/instruction section that if you looked at his face during the AO final that not for one moment did you think he didn't believe he could win.

I know from personal experience. When my self-belief and confidence are at an all time high I am unbeatable at my respective level and I incredible shots of all types and I even move alot better.

"Tennis begins and ends in the mind." That's a new quote I have come up with because I believe it to be true. Someone might have said it before me but I'm claiming credit for it.

Roger, get you're head right, then improve the other areas of your game that need imroving and hire Johnny Mac, or Larry or whatever Guga's coachs name is to improve on clay.

I was watching the French Open final 06 highlights on youtube because I didnt watch tennis back then, I was still young enough. And Roger had the taking of that match. It's just after the semis in 05 and the tough 5 set Miami match that year and then the losses in Dubai and in the clay masters mentally, thats when it all began, when he started believing, probably subconsciously, "Well, hey, this guys good. I cant to do this against him and I cant do that and he can do this and he can do that". And you know, he wasn't used to such a fit and strong person who was able to run down so many of his incredible shots and hit ridiculous passing shots or winners off of them. He wasn't used to it, and it slowly started there and slowly built up, and Rafa got better and better, and Roger's belief that he could beat him got worse and worse until right now it's climaxing, and it's also affecting his belief against other players like Djoker, Murray and even other players in the field. It's such a simple thing but really, the mind makes or breaks a player.

lefty10spro
04-04-2009, 04:30 PM
How blest are we all to witness this amazing time in the history of men's tennis!

Sovereignty
04-04-2009, 04:32 PM

Its called the bandwagon. When someone hits number one, of course your going to hear a lot of positive feedback. Remember when federer was the number one player and everyone always said that he is the best in tennis, and how he is one to truly remember? It is easy for people to support the number one guy in the world. If Nadal was playing well, but he somehow couldn't obtain the number one position, would people talk about him as much as they do now? No.

Also, I laughed at your little response that said where did you get your information. Seems like you know everything about this situation between McEnroe and Fed.

rubberduckies
04-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Well McEnroe devotes his entire commentary during any Nadal-Federer match to providing ways for Roger to win, so if Roger wants Mac's advice he should just watch a tape of Wimby 06-08.

Until Roger slips down to the 3rd spot, there isn't anything coaching can help him with. Roger being 2nd to Rafa was a long time coming and reflects the proper natural order.

AprilFool
04-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Its called the bandwagon. When someone hits number one, of course your going to hear a lot of positive feedback. Remember when federer was the number one player and everyone always said that he is the best in tennis, and how he is one to truly remember? It is easy for people to support the number one guy in the world. If Nadal was playing well, but he somehow couldn't obtain the number one position, would people talk about him as much as they do now? No.

The difference being that the people saying he was the best ever were all of the greats. Nadal could go far but I don't think he will be able to dominate as long as Federer did.

BullDogTennis
04-04-2009, 05:16 PM

the thing is, your the type of person jsut wanting to find something wrong with federer. for like the last 4 years federer didnt do anything wrong, so people like you just had to hold your tongue, then he finnaly does something like smashing a racquet?(his 1 racquet to most pro's like 10) and not shaking a refs hand? (once? at the most twice?) in the last like 8 years. so you jump up his *ss and make him the worst thing on earth.

i cant say im a fed junkie, but i respect him. because of what hes accomplished.

a little different view on things.

lets assume you dominate everything for so long, then your game goes completely down the drain how would you respond? chances are your being a giant hipocrite and would do things twice as worse.

coloskier
04-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Personally, I think the only player or coach the Fed would listen to is Sampras.

BreakPoint
04-04-2009, 05:45 PM

Now that Nadal is the number one player, everyone still says that Federer is the best in tennis. :shock: :oops:

svijk
04-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Mac was scammed in that art thing in NYC and now needs some buckaroos.. LOL

ROFL....v funny. Great insightful observation !!!!

rob61
04-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Roger was a true statesman of tennis while he was winning. But now that the wins are coming less frequently, he is regressing back to his inner child, the one that used to show his temper on court frequently when he was young.

He is having a slump. Whether he pulls out of it to regain his #1 status is unknown. However, he has never been short on ego. He tells tournaments to not introduce him (as they would usually do for players) as the #2 player in the world. If he is not #1, he would rather they not state his ranking.

With impending fatherhood right around the corner, it does not bode well for many more slams. Maybe one or two... but he is now getting to be the "old" guy on the court.

Not sure if his health is that great either. He just does not move like he used to, and has lost a half step and his timing seems to be off as well. He may work his way back; Agassi did. But right now, the younger players are out playing him which is why is he losing. He definately has a crisis of confidence too.

He really does need a coach to help him work through this. But McEnroe? I'm not sure any stadium in the world could hold those two egos.

DunlopDood
04-04-2009, 07:56 PM
What could Mcenroe possibly teach him? Mcenroe in today's game would barely make it into the top 100, he should just stick to TV.

JeMar
04-04-2009, 08:16 PM
People are bandwagoners and like to support winners, and this is the only reason Federer has so many supporters ATM.

But people already started to jump off that bandwagon quickly. It won't be long until it is almost empty if Federer continues with his classless behavior now when there is no dominance any more and he is not winning 15 tournaments per year (thank god).

Because he's been so successful lately?

clayman2000
04-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Federer is a likeable guy, this coming from a former Fed hater, who now is niether like nor dislikes him. This is becuase when he wins, which he does most of the time, he is incredibly nice. For example, when Roger beat Fognini in Rogers Cup 2007 with 2 bread stick, he said that once Fognini got into the game it was a tough match. When ppl see that they go "ohh what a humble guy". Problem is when he looses and goes and says "i played like crap" those ppl say ohh Federer is probably really mad.

theagassiman
04-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Could Mac just be shooting his mouth off?
He has a rep for doing that.

rafan
04-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Well getting back to the question. I must admit I had a bit of a laugh over this one. As much as I adore Macenroe I cannot see the two hitting it off. Both have strong personalities. I cannot see the Mac tantrums being good for the sensitive Roger, To be honest I think Nadal could have been more able to link up with Macenroe . It was a good thought however

Virginia
04-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Mac and Roger could work well together - you don't give Mac enough credit. It's clear he thinks a lot of Roger and can offer a great deal in terms of advice for both volleying and approach shots. Never mind the ego nonsense - nobody on this board understands what it's like to be a world class player. You NEED an ego to reach the top in any sport.

tennis_hand
04-04-2009, 10:54 PM

Now he should accept whoever that can coach him.
still without a coach and it is no longer 2006.

Knightmace
04-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Fed should get Mac or Roche

Crusher10s
04-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Pssst...he already had Roche

rafan
04-05-2009, 12:30 AM
Mac and Roger could work well together - you don't give Mac enough credit. It's clear he thinks a lot of Roger and can offer a great deal in terms of advice for both volleying and approach shots. Never mind the ego nonsense - nobody on this board understands what it's like to be a world class player. You NEED an ego to reach the top in any sport.

I can understand your logic about needing an in ego to reach the top, however Roger has had some time to reflect on a downturn in his career. He has passed Kiplings famous engraving about how to cope with success and failure so many times at Wimbledon. Nadal has managed to incorporate a degree of humility with his success - ever conscious of the fact that tomorrow another great player could come and take over. I think Roger should be the one to do the asking - when it comes to a new coach. It may be a case of too much stubborn pride - which could be his downfall

Josherer
04-05-2009, 03:59 AM
Mac must have seen Fed totally destroy his racquet

pound cat
04-05-2009, 04:34 AM
i hope McEnroe isn't holding his breath waiting for the phone to ring It ain't gonna happen, John.

danb
04-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Why would Mac want to help Fed? Hes trashed him tons of times over the years

A pair made in heaven!
Can you imagine if:
1) All goes bad - the trash you'd hear from Mac about Fed?
2) All stays the same - I'd have a blast listening to Mac yelling at Fed "Hit that 1HBH ! Commit to it!", etc
3) Accidentally Fed wins 1 maybe 2 GS - Mac takes all the credit for being Fed's shrink.

I can't wait!
Mac was no better than Fed (OK, Mac's game was not boring like Fed's) so again - they deserve each other.

Mansewerz
04-05-2009, 08:45 AM
Why do so many people call Federer stubborn for not getting a coach? He tried to get with Cahill, it didn't work!

Lendl and Federer Fan
04-05-2009, 08:45 AM
No, Federer should just ignore all the tips or expert advices, just hire Brad Gilbert as the coach. BTW don't read any news, watch TV, or come here to read the comments here; just concentrate on his own game. Absolutely do not go see Sampras, that would remind him Pete's stupid 14 GS record. In my opinion, it was a BIG mistake for Federer to those exhibition match with Pistol Pete in 2007 &2008. :wink::rolleyes::roll:

matchmaker
04-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Personally I think this is just pathetic from Mc Enroe.

Blade0324
04-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Mac feels that he can add some flare to Feds racquet smashing. I hope Wilson kicks up production of the k90, err n90, err PS 6.0, err whatever he is using so they have enough to keep him in frames as he commences on a smashing fest every time he gets beaten like a red headed step child in tourney after tourney from here on out.

AprilFool
04-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Fed needs to improve his technique smashing rackets

From what I saw he doesn't need any adjustments to his racket smashing technique.

Hope
04-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Mcenroe was not my favourite player. He embarrassed me with his tantrums and I didn't like his game. It was jerky but we're told he's a great so I'll accept that. Can he help Roger? I don't know. I don't think Roger likes him much. He had said bad behaviour embarrasses him.
But in goodness name, does anyone remember that Federer has won the fan and fellow players' awards for the last 6 and 5 years respectively consecutively? Why now all the negative talk about him. When did he become arrogant? The media ask him some silly questions, he makes the mistake of answering most of them, so now they call him arrogant, finished etc.
Does anyone remember - He is still the No 2 player in the world. He's played 4 tournaments. Reached final and 3 semis. This time last year Nadal reached 2 finals(was thrashed 61,60 by Youzny in India and 63,64 by Davydenko in Miami), 2 semis, 1 quarter and a 2nd round. See what he did at the end of the year. This time last year, Djokovic had won a GS, Indian Wells, Semis in Dubai, and nothing much after that. As for Murray, he was one of the journeymen - look how he's doing now.
One thing I've seen here is that just about everyone agrees Roger Federer is the most talented player ever and if anyone can recover form, he can.
And if he has an overbloated opinion of himself, can you blame? Every one went on about how great he was (is). I'm surprised he didn't have a bigger opinion of himself.
Leave the fellow alone. Great players before him had difficulties and worked out their problems. Steffi Graf did. No one is going to teach Roger Federer how to play his tennis. If Lendl thinks he's ok, then I say he is.
But as for a coach - he'd do better with Fred Stolle and Mark Woodforde.

AprilFool
04-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Mcenroe was not my favourite player. He embarrassed me with his tantrums and I didn't like his game. It was jerky but we're told he's a great so I'll accept that. Can he help Roger? I don't know. I don't think Roger likes him much. He had said bad behaviour embarrasses him.
But in goodness name, does anyone remember that Federer has won the fan and fellow players' awards for the last 6 and 5 years respectively consecutively? Why now all the negative talk about him. When did he become arrogant? The media ask him some silly questions, he makes the mistake of answering most of them, so now they call him arrogant, finished etc.
Does anyone remember - He is still the No 2 player in the world. He's played 4 tournaments. Reached final and 3 semis. This time last year Nadal reached 2 finals(was thrashed 61,60 by Youzny in India and 63,64 by Davydenko in Miami), 2 semis, 1 quarter and a 2nd round. See what he did at the end of the year. This time last year, Djokovic had won a GS, Indian Wells, Semis in Dubai, and nothing much after that. As for Murray, he was one of the journeymen - look how he's doing now.
One thing I've seen here is that just about everyone agrees Roger Federer is the most talented player ever and if anyone can recover form, he can.
And if he has an overbloated opinion of himself, can you blame? Every one went on about how great he was (is). I'm surprised he didn't have a bigger opinion of himself.
Leave the fellow alone. Great players before him had difficulties and worked out their problems. Steffi Graf did. No one is going to teach Roger Federer how to play his tennis. If Lendl thinks he's ok, then I say he is.

The arrogant meme has been going on for years here. Great post, btw!

Out of respect for Nadal I've edited this post.
This thread is so far removed from the original story.

vtmike
04-06-2009, 12:36 PM

You are spot on with your analysis!

Federer's lack of confidence was sparked by some close losses to Nadal in Wimb & then the AO finals which spilled over into his other performances...Majority of posters here and the media are VERY fickle!! things can change very quickly like your examples point out...one GS victory and everybody will start singing his praises again!

SaintClaires
04-06-2009, 12:37 PM
I hope Federer wins his next tournament so we can all shut up about him "struggling."

Kaptain Karl
04-09-2009, 05:43 AM
<Mod Mode> Pages of trolling, name-calling, off-topic posts deleted. Those "other debates" have their own threads; this isn't one of them. Stay on the subject or don't post. </Mod Mode>

- KK

papucla10
04-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Federer is the best with fans, he takes the time to sign things never acts like if is the king of tennis even when he was, I am fan of both federer and nadal and both men are good with fans specially fed or at least most of the time, Nadal usually leaves practice without taking enough time to sign autographs but Federer tries to give his autograph to as many people he can, I think nadal does want to give his autograph but I think he is just more rushed than Fed, I think the maniacs are the obsessed fans here saying bad things about federer and Nadal when both guys are good guys.

tonyg11
04-22-2009, 09:32 AM
excellent idea. McEnroe has an excellent analytical mind and would be able to help Federer a lot.

Some of you guys must be new to tennis. A coach is not going to teach Federer how to his a stroke. That's well over and done with. A coach analyzes a players game and discusses changes to strategy VS different opponents. A coach also helps with a players mental toughness. Federer isnt some scrub 3.5 player that needs help with the forehand. At this stage, his game issues are %99 mental.

topsltennis
04-22-2009, 09:38 AM
I was a Mcenroe fan growing up and a Fed fan now- to me, I think this would be a great arrangement for Fed at this time. I think Fed needs some passion and perhaps Mac could instill some of his fire- not to mention a different philosophy on playing the game---- Fed needs to attack at every opportunity to keep Nadal and Murray off balance- Mac was the king of this type play and I believe it is Fed's only chance to get a few wins off these guys.