PDA

View Full Version : Would Carlos Rodrigez be a good Fed Coach!

shell
04-04-2009, 12:55 PM
He brought Henin to the top of the game. He brought a baseliner by nature to the confidence to attack and come forward against the top, aggresive baseliners. Would he be someone that a top, talented male player could use to change their game late in a career - to remind Fed, and prod Fed into the type of changes that may be necessary for him to keep winning?

Gugafan
04-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Is Rodriguez coaching any WTA player currently???

shell
04-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Is Rodriguez coaching any WTA player currently???

Only juniors at his/Justine's acadamy as far as I know.

helloworld
04-04-2009, 01:11 PM
Apart from the fact that they both play one handed backhand,Henin and Federer's game are not similar at all. Fed relies on his big serve and forehand, while Henin relies on her movement and backhand. They have different strengths and weaknesses, and Federer's game is much more complex. I doubt a wta/juniors coach can be much of a help in this case

icedevil0289
04-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Apart from the fact that they both play one handed backhand,Henin and Federer's game are not similar at all. Fed relies on his big serve and forehand, while Henin relies on her movement and backhand. They have different strengths and weaknesses, and Federer's game is much more complex. I doubt a wta/juniors coach can be much of a help in this case

Federer relies on his movement as well.

helloworld
04-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Federer relies on his movement as well.

99% of men's tennis relies on movement...

shell
04-04-2009, 01:28 PM

Towards the end of her career, she relied on her forehand (developed under Rodriguez's coaching) and her serve (also improved under coachs' developement) for her top game. The backhand was always there.

The point of the post was the element of attack. The use of the all court game to beat the pure baseline attack, the power of the current game.

I believe this is what Roger needs to improve and use to compete against Nadal and Murray. Who can help him with that?

gj011
04-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Carlos Rodrigues :shock:

LOL are you saying Fed should join WTA now?

shell
04-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Carlos Rodrigues :shock:

LOL are you saying Fed should join WTA now?

No, just looking for a coach for Fed that would understand what he needs to improve on. Do you have a different option?

gj011
04-04-2009, 01:45 PM
No, just looking for a coach for Fed that would understand what he needs to improve on. Do you have a different option?

No actually I don't. I honestly think Federer is uncoachable and no coach would help him. That is why he changed 5 coaches in 2 years without any results. He is too stubborn and too convinced that what he do is right and the only way, since it worked so good for him for so long.

Anyway Rodrigues is not a coach for ATP. Actually he was the coach for Henin only and I doubt he would be successful with any other WTA player and even less with ATP player and especially not Federer.

joe sch
04-04-2009, 01:46 PM
I having been claiming ever since Federer dumped Tony Roche that Roger made the mistake of his career. Tony was the best coach for Roger and was trying to get him to play a more agressive game. Well it is obvious now that Roger can not still dominate at the baseline and he could still be winning slams if he would have stayed with Roche ! Roger should beg Roche to comeback and save his career now.

swedechris
04-04-2009, 01:55 PM
maybe its not a bad idea. i think justine was always very very talented but quite weak mentally until rodriguez was able to build that area too.. hence her success . he made her work very hard ... i mean very very hard.

i am not sure fed works hard enough any longer. he needs to feel the strain and effort outside of the courts and tournys to harness him and bring into himjself the idea that he has worked hard for it and therefore can be the man again. i suspect he is a bit lazy relative to Murray and Nadal and he needs to change that else they will continue to own him from now on.

l_gonzalez
04-04-2009, 02:09 PM
A coach, any coach is only good if you actually listen to him/her. I applies to anyone that plays tennis, Roger Federer himself included.

As has been said before, Federer seems too stubborn, proud or arrogant to listen to anyone else. I guess we'll never really know.

joe sch
04-04-2009, 07:37 PM
A coach, any coach is only good if you actually listen to him/her. I applies to anyone that plays tennis, Roger Federer himself included.

As has been said before, Federer seems too stubborn, proud or arrogant to listen to anyone else. I guess we'll never really know.

Very true ! I agree that " Federer seems too stubborn, proud or arrogant" and believe that is why he fired Tony Roche. I also believe that is why he will not ask him to resume coaching him ... to save his career. Again, Tony would have had Federer playing an agressive allcourt game which I believe would have helped him to overcome Nadal in a few of the losses of the last few years.

ruerooo
04-04-2009, 07:48 PM
I having been claiming ever since Federer dumped Tony Roche that Roger made the mistake of his career. Tony was the best coach for Roger and was trying to get him to play a more agressive game. Well it is obvious now that Roger can not still dominate at the baseline and he could still be winning slams if he would have stayed with Roche ! Roger should beg Roche to comeback and save his career now.

I thought I read somewhere that Roche is working with Lleyton now.
Even if he wanted to drop him to go back to Roger, I don't think that would look terribly good.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=253168

kungfusmkim
04-04-2009, 08:33 PM
OKAY first of all. i thought you meant the BELGIAN FED CUP TEAM. LAWL. Second, if fed had him as a coach he'll be fined like 5039218509285328 billion dollars for getting caught cheating. Federer's too stupid to take tips or coaching from anyone nor would be able to take cheats signs properly.

flyer
04-04-2009, 10:07 PM
Very true ! I agree that " Federer seems too stubborn, proud or arrogant" and believe that is why he fired Tony Roche. I also believe that is why he will not ask him to resume coaching him ... to save his career. Again, Tony would have had Federer playing an agressive allcourt game which I believe would have helped him to overcome Nadal in a few of the losses of the last few years.

i disagree and this is why, federer is playing an agressive baseline game, too agressive, hes missing, its not that hes not going for his shots, its that hes missing them when he does go for them.....

of the big four, roger plays the most agressive, by far, and he has yet to beat them this year, hes cant just blow these guys of the court like he used too they game has caught up and they (the big four) are too good

what he really needs to do is get his hands dirty and grind a bit more, he claims exceptional fitness and plays great defense, so there is no reason why a guy like carlos rodrigues couldnt help him adapt that into his game

joe sch
04-05-2009, 06:41 AM
i disagree and this is why, federer is playing an agressive baseline game, too agressive, hes missing, its not that hes not going for his shots, its that hes missing them when he does go for them.....

of the big four, roger plays the most agressive, by far, and he has yet to beat them this year, hes cant just blow these guys of the court like he used too they game has caught up and they (the big four) are too good

what he really needs to do is get his hands dirty and grind a bit more, he claims exceptional fitness and plays great defense, so there is no reason why a guy like carlos rodrigues couldnt help him adapt that into his game

This is the exact "stubborn" mentality of all of todays players and coaches. My point is that he could be a better GOAT contender and have won/win more slam championships *if* he was competing with more of his god given skills ... Attack serves by moving forward and coming in ... hit more aggressive approach shots ... and make S/V a part of every service game.

SaintClaires
04-05-2009, 09:43 AM
Nadal would be a good coach for Feddy.

He would say, "Roger, you do not break racquets, no?"

Lendl and Federer Fan
04-05-2009, 09:47 AM
No, Federer should just ignore all the tips or expert advices, just hire Brad Gilbert as the coach. BTW don't read any news, watch TV, or come here to read the comments here; just concentrate on his own game. Absolutely do not go see Sampras, that would remind him Pete's stupid 14 GS record. In my opinion, it was a BIG mistake for Federer to play those exhibition matches with Pistol Pete in 2007 &2008. :wink::rolleyes::roll:

joe sch
04-05-2009, 11:36 AM
No, Federer should just ignore all the tips or expert advices, just hire Brad Gilbert as the coach. BTW don't read any news, watch TV, or come here to read the comments here; just concentrate on his own game. Absolutely do not go see Sampras, that would remind him Pete's stupid 14 GS record. In my opinion, it was a BIG mistake for Federer to play those exhibition matches with Pistol Pete in 2007 &2008. :wink::rolleyes::roll:

Why ? He may learn how to play agressive tennis and SV again. He may realize why Sampras won 14 slams and can still play even with him at close to 40 years old.

Lendl and Federer Fan
04-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Why ? He may learn how to play agressive tennis and SV again. He may realize why Sampras won 14 slams and can still play even with him at close to 40 years old.

I thought I answered that ->

"that would remind him Pete's stupid 14 GS record"

In my humble opinion, this adds so much unnecessary pressure for Federer or anyone when he/she is closer to it.

joe sch
04-05-2009, 08:44 PM
I thought I answered that ->

"that would remind him Pete's stupid 14 GS record"

In my humble opinion, this adds so much unnecessary pressure for Federer or anyone when he/she is closer to it.

Ok, I understand your point but I think its more important that he remember how effective it would be to play agressive attacking and S/V tennis. He did face Dent recently and get a good taste of this old school pressure, just that Dents not quite Sampras. Seeing that your a Lendl fan, I thought you for one would really agree that Tony Roche could help save Rogers career. This may not be possible as Tony is currently coaching Lleyton Hewitt but I think Lleyton is no longer a slam contender and Roche would really like to correct the Federer downfall.

serve&volleyer
04-07-2009, 05:29 AM
...the only suitable person to wake up TMF right now is Jose Murihno!

theagassiman
04-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Ok, I understand your point but I think its more important that he remember how effective it would be to play agressive attacking and S/V tennis. He did face Dent recently and get a good taste of this old school pressure, just that Dents not quite Sampras. Seeing that your a Lendl fan, I thought you for one would really agree that Tony Roche could help save Rogers career. This may not be possible as Tony is currently coaching Lleyton Hewitt but I think Lleyton is no longer a slam contender and Roche would really like to correct the Federer downfall.

Hmmmmm...
What about Rod Laver?

joe sch
04-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Hmmmmm...
What about Rod Laver?

For sure ! It would really be interesting to see how well Laver or Rosewall could improve some of the top pros, especially Federer. Dont think either really ever wanted to get into coaching but project Federer might be worth the pain. Now if we could only get Roger to ask/contract the rocket or muscels ...

Oblique
04-07-2009, 09:28 PM
I think he must choose the coach himself.The coach who will train him against Nadal.But there is a less time left for Roland Garros!:neutral: