PDA

View Full Version : What can Roddick do to beat Federer?

Arbartrator
04-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Don't volley to his forehand and attack his backhand with his serve?

SaintClaires
04-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Don't volley to his backhand either! :twisted:

Look what happened on match point, a few days ago........

Arbartrator
04-04-2009, 04:06 PM
That was BS when it was deuce then Roddick came to volley which he could have got that shot but it hit the net then the ball went over him and landed behind him

Matt H.
04-04-2009, 04:29 PM
a terrible string of events from 40-15 up in that final service game. I felt bad for roddick, but he just wouldn't learn not to hit a topspin approach shot to fed's forehand. He was killed everytime.

WBF
04-04-2009, 04:36 PM
The only chance Roddick has at beating Federer... relies on Federer being sick or injured. It will never happen, barring a freak accident.

Nadal_Freak
04-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Roddick is just not a smart tennis player. He's got the weapons but not the brains.

Staiger
04-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Roddick is just not a smart tennis player. He's got the weapons but not the brains.

He doesnt have a good approach shot and he is useless in the net. The only way he can beat Federer is if he improve his approach and netplay

Nadal_Freak
04-04-2009, 04:41 PM
He doesnt have a good approach shot and he is useless in the net. The only way he can beat Federer is if he improve his approach and netplay
He goes to the net at bad times.

Staiger
04-04-2009, 04:42 PM
a terrible string of events from 40-15 up in that final service game. I felt bad for roddick, but he just wouldn't learn not to hit a topspin approach shot to fed's forehand. He was killed everytime.

His slice approach aint any better , 2/3 up the court .....:?

clayman2000
04-04-2009, 04:53 PM
His slice approach aint any better , 2/3 up the court .....:?

Its not that Roddick is a stupid player, becuase he actually isnt. On the ground he is actually very smart. He can mix up the backhand with the slice cross court or DTL, and his 2 hand is very stable. Its just that he does not know how to approach. Approach shots have to be near the line, if not hitting the line. His shots are at least 2-3 feet away from it.

If you look at his matches vs both federer and Nadal, it was bad approaches that made him loose. However, this is a coachable part of his game, and as he gains time with Stefanki that part should improve. Really when you look at the 2nd and 3rd sets, Roddick was not getting too bullied by Federer at the back of the court. His backhand was very solid, and as long as he didnt loop the forhand he was staying in the rallies.

VivalaVida
04-04-2009, 04:54 PM
He goes to the net at bad times.
agreed. Roddick has a massive forehand but he doesn't like using it at all on the right moments.

ronalditop
04-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Wear a nadal mask.

Nanshiki
04-04-2009, 05:04 PM
He needs to not get broken, try to crush the return, and crank the forehand.

He should save the pushing for tiebreakers were it's more about points instead of hold/break.

foLster
04-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Stop hitting horrible topspin forehands, and flatten it out a bit.

Arbartrator
04-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Wear a nadal mask.

Might as well grow out his hair and dye it black

P_Agony
04-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Don't volley to his forehand and attack his backhand with his serve?

I would say don't volley at all. Roddick should stay away from the net. He should never, ever come to the net. Ever.

rubberduckies
04-04-2009, 05:43 PM
He actually did a lot of good things in the Miami match but abandoned what was working for some reason.

1) Approach to the backhand, not the forehand. Hit an inside out forehand to Fed's backhand and approach the net hoping for a weak slice reply.

2) Have faith in his groundstrokes. Roddick's backhand has improved tremendously. In Miami, he was rallying from the baseline with Fed quite successfully but abandoned this approach completely and tried to force his way to the net.

3) Return well. All it takes is a single strong return game to get a break, and with Roddick's serve that break will be very difficult to recover.

mental midget
04-04-2009, 05:57 PM
keep the ball in play. that's how everyone else does it.

Arbartrator
04-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Roddick could have beat Federer if he broke him in the third set when he had the two break points in my opinion because it would make him play a little more relaxed when he is up a break

tvp900
04-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Roddick was going to win that quarterfinal match a couple days ago. He simply played a few loose points especially when he was serving to stay in the match. And Federer being Federer, capitalized and was able to pull match point out of his ***. If those two weak approach shots were stronger, Roddick would have held and it probably would have gone to a tiebreak

chrisdaniel
04-04-2009, 07:16 PM
I believe Roddick is actually one of the smarter players out there, except not on the tennis court. He does do things that boggle the mind. Charging the net with pathetic rolling spin, TO FEDERER???? He really has the shots to be right there with the top 4. Just some really bad choices.

Joseph L. Barrow
04-04-2009, 08:10 PM
The only chance Roddick has at beating Federer... relies on Federer being sick or injured. It will never happen, barring a freak accident.
He's already beaten a Federer who was not sick or injured twice, held three match points over a peak Federer at '06 Masters Cup and was very close to beating him just this week.

Roddick could easily have won this last match if the air currents or net adjustment had been slightly different, causing Federer's net chord shot while break point down at 3-3 to drift just long instead of landing right inside the baseline like it did, and if not that one, had the one at 4-5 deuce gone out, he'd still have been very much "live" in that match. In their current form, I'd say Roddick is close to 50/50 against Federer in a best-of-three hardcourt match, though Federer is still better on clay, probably grass, and in Slams.

As for what he needs to adjust, Roddick desperately needs to stop hitting that up-the-line forehand approach shot to Federer's forehand, which gets him killed time and time again, but he just seems to keep doing it almost by reflex. Try to go cross court, try a drop shot, just do anything but that same tired pattern that loses you the point about 98% of the time. It would also be good to see him more consistently hit through the forehand, and shake off some of the sort of mental block that seems to get him in trouble at crucial stages against Federer in many of their matches (eg., he makes untimely double faults, attacks the net ill-advisedly on crucial points, etc., due to his "Federer complex," much like Federer does with his "Nadal complex").

clayman2000
04-04-2009, 08:14 PM
He actually did a lot of good things in the Miami match but abandoned what was working for some reason.

1) Approach to the backhand, not the forehand. Hit an inside out forehand to Fed's backhand and approach the net hoping for a weak slice reply.

2) Have faith in his groundstrokes. Roddick's backhand has improved tremendously. In Miami, he was rallying from the baseline with Fed quite successfully but abandoned this approach completely and tried to force his way to the net.

3) Return well. All it takes is a single strong return game to get a break, and with Roddick's serve that break will be very difficult to recover.

That is so true. The problem is the short chip return by Federer on Roddicks serve. He puts is short enough that Roddick might as well charge the net. For me thats the biggest problem. Too much is Roddick used to watching his opponents return go wide, high, into net or ace. With Fed, alot more of his returns are short, low and near the service line. Roddick therfore has to hit over the ball with top spin, and is in a position where he might as well go to net. Thats why Roddick has better sucess serving and volleyin against Fed,

I feel really bad for Roddick becuase every let court went Rogers way. Ultimately serving second in the set is a huge disadvantage when facing Federer becuase you will at least have to do-or-die on your serve twice. Roddick had a chance to break Federer at 5-3 in the second. IF he had done that, this would have been a different match

edberg505
04-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Well, play Federer on yesterday. Guaranteed win.

Ballinbob
04-04-2009, 08:17 PM
That is so true. The problem is the short chip return by Federer on Roddicks serve. He puts is short enough that Roddick might as well charge the net. For me thats the biggest problem. Too much is Roddick used to watching his opponents return go wide, high, into net or ace. With Fed, alot more of his returns are short, low and near the service line. Roddick therfore has to hit over the ball with top spin, and is in a position where he might as well go to net. Thats why Roddick has better sucess serving and volleyin against Fed,

I disagree.... Short balls open up alot of angles on the court, and I don't think roddick is using them as well as he could. Short balls are extremley easy to approach on, yet roddick just decides to loop it to the fed forehand.

kungfusmkim
04-04-2009, 08:24 PM
Get them to play a 5 set match for all his money using frying pans :)

clayman2000
04-04-2009, 08:25 PM
I disagree.... Short balls open up alot of angles on the court, and I don't think roddick is using them as well as he could. Short balls are extremley easy to approach on, yet roddick just decides to loop it to the fed forehand.

Thats becuase Roddick gets caught surprised too much, which sounds funny, but its true. IF you look at the short returns, you will see that Roddick takes a while to react, than to just get to the ball has to run to full speed. By that time the ball is so low that Roddick has to loop it up to get it over the net. Of course his placement is bad, and he become a sitting duck

devila
04-06-2009, 12:37 AM
Roddick didn't take tennis seriously.
He was angry that he cancelled his own fake basketball game with his darling D. Wade, because he was desperate to waste time partying. He obviously didn't believe he was winning any later rounds in Miami.
He went to watch basketball the day before the quarterfinal.

He threw away another tournament.

look at Federer's racquet demolition. He obviously didn't deserve the luck given to him.

OJ ROD
04-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Hire a sniper to shoot him mid match.

Can you say default?:twisted:

Challenger
04-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Might as well grow out his hair and dye it black

...and start picking his butt between points and take 10 minutes to serve. That oughta get the ball rolling.

But seriously, I couldn't help but laugh everytime he approached to Fed's FH. Like watching a mosquito fly into the flame. I don't think it's necessarily that he's stupid, but rather the shot is just a hard habit to break. In the heat of the point, I think it's only natural to approach to where the opponent isn't. Fed tends to camp on his BH side to bait players into sending it towards his FH, and it's tough to go against that.

But if Fed's recent trend continues, soon all anybody has to do is just keep the ball inside the court and let Fed himself give them the match.

SaintClaires
04-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Hire a sniper to shoot him mid match.

Can you say default?:twisted:

Woah :shock::shock::shock:

bladepdb
04-06-2009, 02:07 PM
He should get a new supermodel fiance just before he has to play Fed. Worked last year.

SaintClaires
04-06-2009, 02:08 PM
He should get a new supermodel fiance just before he has to play Fed. Worked last year.

How true.....it would probably work.

Or he could try to steal Mirka. :twisted:

bladepdb
04-06-2009, 09:24 PM
How true.....it would probably work.

Or he could try to steal Mirka. :twisted:

Dunno why he'd want to. Fed would probably be relieved too now that she's knocked up.

6rump
04-07-2009, 07:40 AM
Simple, Serve like crazy, like he did on miami last year his serve was so good, expecially on a crusial point, don't approach with short ball topspin!!!!...........

cknobman
04-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Stop making suicide approaches to the net on weak approach shots.

cadillac303
04-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Roddick should rough him up a little bit in the locker room. Otherwise, no wins against Fed in Rod's future.

wilsondude
04-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Its all mental.

cadillac303
04-07-2009, 06:15 PM
I don't think so wilsondude.

I think probably 10% of it is mental. The other 90% goes to the fact that federer is SO GOOD and roddick does not have the patience or smarts to beat him.

GameSampras
04-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Roddick cant do anything.. Its too late. Hes not the game nor the right strategy to beat Fed. Whether Fed is primed, past his prime, old in a wheelchair. Roddick is not, nor ever was good enough to beat Fed. He has too many holes in his game that Fed will always exploit.

Leublu tennis
04-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Don't volley to his forehand and attack his backhand with his serve?He could try pool.

flying24
04-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Federer is playing some of his worst tennis ever in the last year and Roddick still cant beat him except for one flukish type win where he had to save 1000 break points or something. So he never can really. This is as bad as Federer gets and it still isnt enough for Roddick to come out ahead.

gj011
04-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Nothing. Its no use.

clayman2000
04-07-2009, 06:47 PM
Federer is playing some of his worst tennis ever in the last year and Roddick still cant beat him except for one flukish type win where he had to save 1000 break points or something. So he never can really. This is as bad as Federer gets and it still isnt enough for Roddick to come out ahead.

In that match Federer played decent. If he was playing as bad as you say he was that he would not have had as many passes as he did, even for Roddick's poor approach.

Why do you think Roddick still approaches the same, becuase it works against 90 % of players.

cadillac303
04-07-2009, 06:51 PM
In that match Federer played decent. If he was playing as bad as you say he was that he would not have had as many passes as he did, even for Roddick's poor approach.

Why do you think Roddick still approaches the same, becuase it works against 90 % of players.

Actually I think Roddick has been trying to change his game in the last year or so because it is NOT effective when it comes down to winning grand slams.

There are 25-50 players in the world that's games beat 90% of players. But it's not about who wins against the bottom 90%. It's about who beats the top 10%. And Roddick's game does not do that.

snr
04-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Stop coming to the net stuipdly. Its cool that his approach sucks...he can work on that. Point is its as if he doesn't know that his approach is sucking; top that off with coming in at weird random times that makes the audience cringe = reason he keeps losing.

I half expected Roddick to win that match in Miami... and he was damn close. i wish he had won, would have probably had a more interesting match vs Djokovic.

clayman2000
04-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Actually I think Roddick has been trying to change his game in the last year or so because it is NOT effective when it comes down to winning grand slams.

There are 25-50 players in the world that's games beat 90% of players. But it's not about who wins against the bottom 90%. It's about who beats the top 10%. And Roddick's game does not do that.

Not really. Its rare for a player in the top 20 to play a player ranked below 100. It usually only happens if they play a WC, or in the 1st / 2nd round of a GS

And Andy has shown that he can beat the best. Im not saying hes the best ground player in the world, which he clearly isnt. I am trying to say that if you look at his matches even against players in the top 20 (like Ferrer, Gonzalez) his approaches are good enough to win points as these players dont have the accuracy to hit the corners like Federer or Nadal have.

lolitsanasian
04-07-2009, 08:39 PM
imo, nothing =]

bladepdb
04-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Did anyone else notice he was hardly serving into the 130s that match? His best serves were barely in the 130s....any thoughts on why?

helloworld
04-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Punch him the face.

FD3S
04-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Did anyone else notice he was hardly serving into the 130s that match? His best serves were barely in the 130s....any thoughts on why?

That's a running trend of 2009 Roddick; it looks like he's trying find a balance between pace and placement. Not a bad strategy for most players, but against Federer, he probably needs to start bringing the heat again consistently, as opposed to only on certain points.

runningmann
04-30-2009, 09:38 PM
hmm...

shoot him in the leg

Jchurch
04-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Call Tonya Harding's ex boyfriend

NamRanger
05-01-2009, 12:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2b8mXXvwQs

Play like this and hope Federer sucks that day.

Tempest344
05-01-2009, 12:28 AM
bash him.....

Leublu tennis
05-01-2009, 02:54 AM
Jump him in the tunnel on the way to the court and do some serious damage.

SystemicAnomaly
05-01-2009, 06:05 AM
Andy could sabotage Roger's alarm clock. Yeah, that would do it.

What else can Andy do to beat Roger -- he can play basketball or baseball against him. I believe that Andy can take Roger in either one of those sports. Not so sure about futbol/soccer tho'.

Can Andy ever beat Roger at tennis? Wait, he already has done so several times -- twice in ATP Master Series matches and at least once in an exhibition match.

RoddickAce
05-01-2009, 07:27 AM
Loop to his backhand all day long and approach on it. I agree that he needs to bring out his power game to beat the top players, but against fed, power doesn't seem to be a good long-term plan.

GameSampras
05-01-2009, 08:42 AM
If Roddick hasnt done it by now. He never will. He has what 1 win against Fed? LOL... Roddick cant do anything to beat Fed since he doesnt have the all around talent. A serve-alone wont get it done. Roddick's BH is not up to par, his volleying is attrocious, his athleticism is average, his FH is a forgotten memory etc. Roddick will NEVER beat Fed. He just isnt good enough

tank
05-01-2009, 09:03 AM

agree with this guy, everyone know rod has the weapons, but i think he doesn't use his game to the max

tintin
05-01-2009, 10:46 AM
he doesn't have the variety;movement despite his weight loss;footwork and doesn't have the game on ALL surfaces to take Federer down consistently unless he finds a Federer who still had his Mono thing

Federer has talent;return of serve;footwork;speed;variety and power while Roddick has a serve,power and is an arse ;)

SystemicAnomaly
05-01-2009, 12:25 PM
If Roddick hasnt done it by now. He never will. He has what 1 win against Fed? LOL... Roddick cant do anything to beat Fed since he doesnt have the all around talent. A serve-alone wont get it done. Roddick's BH is not up to par, his volleying is attrocious, his athleticism is average, his FH is a forgotten memory etc. Roddick will NEVER beat Fed. He just isnt good enough

Joke's on you. In case you missed it, Roddick has already beaten Federer several times.
(Take a look at my post that is 2 above yours).

Mick
05-01-2009, 12:29 PM
the only chance roddick has against federer is to serve out of his mind or to play federer when he has an off day.

i have watched a number of federer-roddick matches (on tv) and when the ball is in play, it seems federer always has the advantage.

anointedone
05-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Federer is playing by far his worst tennis since 2002 atleast these days. So if Roddick cant beat him now than he just cant. He came close their last match so I guess he has some hope. Roddick in his 2003-2004 form would have a good shot vs Federer of today.

GameSampras
05-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Joke's on you. In case you missed it, Roddick has already beaten Federer several times.
(Take a look at my post that is 2 above yours).

LOL... At the slams? Cause thats all that really matters. Not some meaningless tourneys.

Roddick has been Fed's whipping boy his whole career. And worthless exos dont really mean anything. And in the grand scheme of things, the Master's dont mean a whole helluva lot compared to slams

When the slams are on the line, Roddick couldnt beat Fed any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Roddick was no rival. A rival can actually GET WINS off the number 1 player at the slams. Thats why its called a rivalry. Roddick cant get any when it matters most. Master's tourneys while the 2nd biggest deal isnt nearly as big as the slams.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
05-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Break his legs,and his arms,and steal his racquets...then it might be possible.

fedtastic
05-01-2009, 02:32 PM
He should wear a Nadal mask, copy Nadal's cloths and keep shouting Vamos!!
That should do it