PDA

View Full Version : American players might not dominate tennis but they add Personality.

kungfusmkim
04-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Americans- They might not be dominating tennis ,like they do with every other sport, but they dominate in the history of entertainment. Can you imagine if there was no connors, mcenroe, roddick, agassi, and all the other goofballs? I dont even think tennis would still be entertaining. I mean yes these players might have been idiots, egotastic at times, but they play a big role in the Tennis. When things need some tension relief you can always count on roddick. If you think a line call was wrong and get angrered, you know mcenroe will react one way or another. Do you think foreign female tennis player would be still wearing the hot suiits they do today without the william sisters? How about Agassi's hair? No matter how much we say we hate american players like Roddick for being soo dumb and stupid. They are honest folks that keeps the tense formal tennis environment alive and not as tense. Still can't imagine tennis with out American's.

Patrick_St
04-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Is this a troll post? Certainly americans don't dominate "every other sport." There are some of the best professional leagues in the U.S., but many of the players are not from the U.S. Also a few sports have originated in the U.S. and either took a while to catch on in other nations, or haven't caught on (example, football). I would say the only sport that U.S. born players even dominate would be basketball, which is one of the sports that originated in the U.S. Other than that, the U.S. doesn't dominate any other widespread sport at all.

Lsmkenpo
04-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Tennis is not as popular as a sport for young kids in the US, the best young american athletes are not playing tennis in highschool they are playing basketball, baseball and football.

tahiti
04-05-2009, 12:56 AM
Every country belongs in any sport and every country brings personalities, often synonymous with their country's history and culture. Blake and Roddick though are quite unalike in personality that they bring. I would imagine that eventually after so much travel any player acquires additional international personality traits along with their original culture.

kungfusmkim
04-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Is this a troll post? Certainly americans don't dominate "every other sport." There are some of the best professional leagues in the U.S., but many of the players are not from the U.S. Also a few sports have originated in the U.S. and either took a while to catch on in other nations, or haven't caught on (example, football). I would say the only sport that U.S. born players even dominate would be basketball, which is one of the sports that originated in the U.S. Other than that, the U.S. doesn't dominate any other widespread sport at all.

They dont dominate it but they sure are good at it arent they? Golf, Swimming, basketball, Hockey, football, skiing, snowboarding,... They might not be number 1's in all the but America has the most variety of top player in each sport.

AndrewD
04-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Americans- They might not be dominating tennis ,like they do with every other sport,

What other sports do Americans dominate? Soccer,gymnastics, soccer, diving cricket, swimming, squash, football, rugby, hockey, badminton, table tennis - they all seem to be dominated by other nations.

Still can't imagine tennis with out American's.

Neither can I but you're selling them very short (and being pretty bloody insulting) if all you think they do is add comic relief.

GameSampras
04-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Well the main sports, team oriented sports here in the states are of course dominated by americans. Its a shame that american men's tennis dropped as badly as it did once PEte and Andre retired. Everyone was going around saying Roddick was going to be "the next big thing" and we saw how that fared. I thought he would have a great career back in 2003 when he won the USO, but never I did I think that would be his ONLY slam. I thought Blake may have gotten a USO as well.

Unfortunately, it was not to be and sadly I dont see American men's tennis getting any better anytime soon

Eviscerator
04-05-2009, 04:02 PM

:roll:

Talk about a potential troll post. Americans do well in many major sports with the exception of soccer. Furthermore, America typically is at the top of medal counts during the Olympics. So while it is a stretch to say Americans dominate all sports, it is fair to say they do better than most in many sports.

As to the OP, I think some of the players mentioned bring good and bad to the sport. McEnroe for instance was a genuine brat, and did not fit the ideal of the American male. Furthermore his on court behavior with the tantrums and vulgarity was not appropriate for any sport, much less tennis. Connors was a fighter and brought grit to his matches, but he also fell short of proper sportsmanship in his early days. At least he grew up and became a fan favorite unlike McEnroe who still acts like a petulant child.
I noticed you left off players like Stan Smith and Pete Sampras. While they were not obnoxious like the other two, they brought professionalism and class to the sport, and were consummate gentlemen. I think they and players like them should get more credit. The Australians for example were as a general rule always good ambassadors for the game.
`

Mungo73
04-05-2009, 04:04 PM
agreed with the op! but you forgot jim courier and todd martin!!!