Official car: Peugeot

Tournament director: Goran Djoković

Tournament office: Bulevar Arsenija Čarnojevića 54a
11070 New Belgrade, Serbia
Tel: (+381 11) 3148 648, 3148 748
Fax: (+381 11) 3148 548
E-mail: office@serbiaopen.rs

http://i39.tinypic.com/nfntlf.jpg

Goran Djokovic, the Director of the first ATP tournament in Serbia, has confirmed that tennis courts at the “Milan Gale Muskatirovic” - MGM - tennis complex will be completed on time. The Director of the “Serbia Open 2009” tournament has visited the courts under construction at Dorcol, together with Mayor of Belgrade Dragan Djilas.
“In seven days, the installation of 7000 seats for the central court will begin, and around EUR1.5 million have been invested into the reconstruction of the whole complex. Wishing to satisfy all conditions of the ATP supervisors, an additional courts drainage procedure has been conducted,” said Goran Djokovic, who has granted the first ticket for the ATP tournament, to be organised in Belgrade on May 02-10, to Belgrade Mayor.
According to Djokovic, the fist ATP tournament in Serbia will gather tennis players from Serbia, Croatia, Spain, France, and Austria, who will play 74 matches in total. The prize fund of the tournament is EUR450,000 and, according to the organisers, more than 110,000 visitors are expected.

http://i44.tinypic.com/jggjme.jpg

Best tennis players in the world coming to Belgrade

Names of 19 tennis players who will start competing at the “SERBIA OPEN 2009” tournament have been announced. In addition to Novak Djokovic, the No. 3 player in the world, tennis lovers will watch matches at Dorcol of Serbian players Viktor Troicki and Janko Tipsarevic, Radek Stepanek from the Czech Republic, Igor Andreev from Russia, Ivo Karlovic and Ivan Ljubicic from Croatia, Victor Hanescu from Romania, Andreas Seppi from Italy, Sam Querrey from the USA, Marcel Granollers from Spain, Cristophe Rochus and Kristof Vliegen from Belgium, Arnaud Clement and Nicolas Devilder from France, Guillermo Canas and Leonardo Mayer and Argentina, Nicolas Massu from Chile, and Daniel Marcos from Brazil.
“I am honoured to confirm that, together with Novak, the best tennis players in the world will play at the “MGM” tennis complex in May. They are delighted to come to Belgrade and have an opportunity to be listed as players who have competed at the first ATP tournament in Serbia. I am certain that the audience at Dorcol will experience something unprecedented and that the whole of Serbia will feel as part of the world,” says Goran Djokovic, the Director of the “SERBIA OPEN 2009” tournament.

Official Player Acceptance List for Serbia Open 2009
Direct Acceptances 19
* Wild Cards 3
* Qualifiers 4

Country Ranking
1. Novak Djokovic SRB 3
2. Radek Stepanek CZE 19
3. Igor Andreev RUS 21
4. Ivo Karlovic CRO 27
5. Victor Hanescu ROU 38
6. Andreas Seppi ITA 39
7. Viktor Troicki SRB 41
8. Janko Tipsarevic SRB 46
9. Sam Querrey USA 47
10. Marcel Granollers ESP 51
11. Christophe Rochus BEL 56
12. Arnaud Clement FRA 58
13. Nicolas Devilder FRA 60
14. Ivan Ljubicic CRO 68
15. Guillermo Canas ARG 89
16. Kristof Vliegen BEL 90
17. Nicolas Massu CHI 91
18. Daniel Marcos BRA 93
19. Leonardo Mayer ARG 94

http://i39.tinypic.com/2ywai4m.jpg

vmosrafa08
04-04-2009, 08:50 PM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/common/Photos/NewsArticles/djokovic_ausopen08.jpg London, UK. - Belgrade will play host to the Serbia Open 2009 next season following the ATP Board's approval of the Amersfoort sanction sale. The new ATP World Tour 250 event will be staged at SRPC Milan Gale Muskatirovic in Belgrade from 4-10 May. The event will be played on outdoor clay.

ATP Player Board Representative Ivan Ljubicic said: "We are delighted to welcome Belgrade onto the 2009 ATP World Tour. The team involved in this new event have shown great passion and ambition in their plans to bring the ATP World Tour to Serbia and we all look forward to a fantastic week of world class tennis in May."

World no 3, Novak Djokovic said: "I am very excited that we are able to create an opportunity in Serbia to be a part of the ATP World Tour. My family, along with myself, is also very emotional about that. Tennis is a very popular sport in my country and we are happy that having a ATP World Tour 250 event from 2009 will help us show the world the beauty of my home town Belgrade and of Serbia."

POINTS & PRIZE MONEY
ATP WORLD TOUR RANKINGS POINTS / PRIZE MONEY (SINGLES)

Winner: 250 Ranking Points, 71,700 Euros
Finalist: 150 Ranking Points, 37,700 Euros
Semi-Finalist: 90 Ranking Points, 20,000 Euros
Quarter-Finalist: 45 Ranking Points, 10,850 Euros
R16: 20 Ranking Points, 6,400 Euros
R32: 0 Ranking Points, 3,850 Euros

Challenger
04-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Glad to hear it's almost underway. Serbia isn't a country with a lot going for it, so I hope this event catches on for them.

Tshooter
04-04-2009, 11:47 PM
"Official hotel: Holiday Inn, Belgrade"

:cry:

tahiti
04-05-2009, 12:51 AM
Always good to see a new tournament springing up and this is lovely for Serbia, a country with a troubled past. Sport is always a fantastic diversion and healthy path to improved attitudes....I hope Djoko wins it, would be a good start to its history :)

Blinkism
04-05-2009, 04:44 AM
Sounds interesting! Hopefully there'll be streams for this (and in English)!

All the best of luck to the Serbian Tennis Federation and to the ATP in organizing this tournament, and hopefully there's a decent turnout in attendance and in quality players!

Sretsno i Hvala!

vmosrafa08
04-05-2009, 06:28 AM

I don't get it.

gj011
04-05-2009, 06:39 AM
Sounds interesting! Hopefully there'll be streams for this (and in English)!

All the best of luck to the Serbian Tennis Federation and to the ATP in organizing this tournament, and hopefully there's a decent turnout in attendance and in quality players!

Sretsno i Hvala!

Thanks for the nice words :)

gj011
04-05-2009, 06:41 AM
I don't get it.

Me neither. I guess it is not good enough hotel for him.

They are the sponsors and I dont see anything wrong with that.

VivalaVida
04-05-2009, 07:30 AM

I looked up the picture. It is actually a very nice looking hotel. It is not like the crappy holiday inns here in US that you find every 5 minutes.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/hotelmedia/repository/hotelimages/BEGBG/WELCM_EXTR_01_C.jpg

vmosrafa08
04-05-2009, 08:04 AM
I looked up the picture. It is actually a very nice looking hotel. It is not like the crappy holiday inns here in US that you find every 5 minutes.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/hotelmedia/repository/hotelimages/BEGBG/WELCM_EXTR_01_C.jpg

Yeah, it actually looks really good!

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/hotelmedia/repository/hotelimages/BEGBG/WELCM_EXTR_01_E.jpg

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/hotelmedia/repository/hotelimages/BEGBG/WELCM_EXTR_02_E.jpg

vmosrafa08
04-06-2009, 01:43 PM
On the Serbia Open website it says that Djokovic lost in Miami to Murray. I was wondering: how embarrassing would it be if he lost in his own tournament?

ayuname
04-06-2009, 01:45 PM
I don't think it would be embarrassing. I mean a tournament is a tournament. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Leublu tennis
04-06-2009, 01:45 PM
I can drive there from here. Would love to be there. Never been to Belgrade. Sounds like a great place.

h7hugo
04-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Estoril is better!!!

Leublu tennis
04-06-2009, 01:54 PM
I will be there next year. But got to fly there.

Sephiroth619
04-06-2009, 01:54 PM

I LOL'd when I read that but then I saw the pictures in this thread and immediately went :shock:.

Holiday Inn in the US isn't known to be very prestigious. It's a place for one nighters with someone you don't want to be seen in public with.

CCNM
04-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Wow!!! Viva if you hadn't posted that picture I would have never believed there was a Holiday Inn in Serbia (Yugoslavia). Goran is Novak's dad right?

FD3S
04-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Is Marko getting a wildcard? It'd be cool to see all the Djokovic siblings in one tourney, for that matter :)

vmosrafa08
04-08-2009, 12:28 PM
New news from the website:

Novak is king of challenge

Novak Djokovic has the highest challenge success rate, of 55 per cent. He is also the only tennis player with a success rate above 50 per cent.
Out of 168 challenges when Novak has exercised his right to the Hawk-Eye technology, 92 have been in his favor.
Among top-class players, Andy Murray has the lowest rate of challenge success, with as much as 75 per cent of failure.
The Hawk-Eye technology has been used since the tournament in Miami in 2006.

Men’s national team of Serbia in Dusseldorf

Immediately after the Serbia Open 2009 tournament in Belgrade, Serbian tennis players will continue preparing for Roland Garros, at the World Cup in Dussedorf, organised on May 17-25.
At the tournament where eight national teams will compete, Serbia will be represented by Viktor Troicki, Janko Tipsarevic and Nenad Zimonjic.
Eight national teams divided in two groups participate in the World Cup. Each match comprises two singles and one doubles matches, while the criterion for participation is the world ranking list.
In addition to Serbia, teams of Spain, France, Argentina, Russia (including Igor Andreev, a participant at the Serbia Open 2009 tournament), Germany, the USA, and Italy will compete in Dusseldorf. The eighth participant will get a wild-card.
For the first time after the disintegration of the SFRY, the Serbian national team will take part in this team competition for men. The national team of Yugoslavia won the World Cup in 1990, having beaten the USA with 3:0. Members of the then national team were Slobodan Zivojinovic, Goran Ivanisevic, and Goran Prpic.
Odmah nakon turnira Serbia open 2009 u Beogradu, srpski teniseri učestvuju na Svetskom kupu u Dizeldorfu.
Immediately after the Serbia Open 2009 tournament in Belgrade, Serbian tennis players will participate at the World Cup in Dussedorf.

DjordjeRosic
04-08-2009, 12:53 PM
YAY, this means i have an excuse where my parents will send me back home, apart from visiting family and relatives that is lol.

-Djordje

adlis
04-08-2009, 04:39 PM

What a great tournament. I cannot wait!

FEDERER>buttpicker.
04-08-2009, 08:02 PM
hopefully federer wins the serbia open.

DjordjeRosic
04-09-2009, 10:39 AM
If I come down there over summer, is anyone living in Beograd so I can play some one???

-Djordje

norbac
04-09-2009, 10:54 AM
This is great news, looks like a solid field for the tournament. Should be great for the country also.

vmosrafa08
04-09-2009, 03:25 PM
22 Days, 16 Hours, 31 Minutes, 40 Seconds

Article from Serbia Open website:
Troicki aims top 20 position

Viktor Troicki, one of the participants of the SERBIA OPEN 2009 tournament, has underlined that he aims to enter top 20 ATP players by the end of the year. The Serbian tennis player currently assumes the 36th position at the world ranking list, which is his career-best result. The objective of the Serbian national team player, whose matches will be enjoyed by all tennis lovers at the first Serbian ATP tournament at Dorcol, is to move forward and make a breakthrough among the top 20 tennis players in the world.

vmosrafa08
05-02-2009, 10:40 AM
The draw for the first ATP tournament in Serbia has been made in Holiday Inn hotel. Serbian players weren’t lucky. Novak Djokovic, Janko Tipsarevic and Viktor Troicki are all in the same quarter.

The best Serbian player is no.1 seed, and has a BYE in the first round. He could play against his compatriot Janko Tipsarevic already in the second round.

Main Draw:

Novak Djokovic (SRB, 1) Bye
Janko Tipsarevic (SRB) vs. Sergio Roitman (ARG)
Filip Krajinovic (SRB, WC) vs. Marcel Granollers (ESP)
Sam Querrey (USA) vs. Viktor Troicki (SRB, 5)

Andreas Seppi (ITA, 4) Bye
Wayne Odesnik (USA) vs. Leonardo Mayer (ARG)
Marcos Daniel (BRA) vs. Guillermo Canas (ARG)
Qualifier vs. Ivan Ljubicic (CRO, 6)

Christophe Rochus (BEL, 8) vs. Nicolas Devilder (FRA)
Kristof Vliegen (BEL) vs. Qualifier
Qualifier vs. Arsenije Zlatanovic (SRB, WC)
Igor Andreev (RUS, 3) Bye

Arnaud Clement (FRA, 7) vs. Steve Darcis (BEL)
Qualifier vs. Marcos Baghdatis (CYP, WC)
Brian Dabul (ARG) vs. Nicolas Massu (CHI)
Ivo Karlovic (CRO, 2) Bye

Serbia Open is the ATP World Tour 250 tournament. The prize fund is 450.000 euros. The winner will get 75.500 euros and 250 ATP points.

vmosrafa08
05-04-2009, 04:37 PM
BELGRADE, Serbia (AP) - A rainstorm interrupted the opening match of Serbia's first ever ATP tour event on Monday between Christophe Rochus and Nicolas Devilder.

The two were locked at 5-5 in the third set when torrential rain hit the Serbian capital. Organizers said the match will most likely resume later on Monday evening.

The Serbia Open tournament is hosted by the family of third-ranked Novak Djokovic, who is also the competition's top seed.

Other prominent players include Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus, Ivo Karlovic of Croatia and Igor Andreev of Russia.

What was to be the main event of the day — an evening match between Sam Querrey of the United States and Victor Troicki of Serbia — was postponed until Tuesday.

jamesblakefan#1
05-04-2009, 10:26 PM
The top 3 Serbs are all in the same section of the draw? Thats bad luck for the tourney organizers.

Nadal_Freak
05-04-2009, 10:30 PM
It's very cool that Serbia has a tournament on clay. Hope Djokovic wins it.