PDA

View Full Version : what defines good sportsmanship?

bdawg
04-04-2009, 11:44 PM
Federer has won the sportman of the year award for the past few years.

However, what should the definition entail. While I think Federer is a gracious and classy leader, I don't see why James Blake isn't considered?

Now, many have said Nadal deserves the award. While his humility and graciousness are good qualities, I think the award should extend to on the court behavior. For instance, Nadal takes too much time in between points and violates the rules. Thils rules him out for me.

What are your definitions? what should the criteria be? on the court and off the court? or one of the two?

tahiti
04-05-2009, 01:02 AM
I think attitude in defeat is more important than that in victory.
I think players who actually applaud their opponents magnificant points, even if just once and subtley, shows sportsmanship. Not arguing with umpires and remaining polite in all moments of adversity is a must.

I think comments made about fellow players also display sportsmanship.
Having a clean public image off the court is important.

Actually I think, someone who loses more often than wins would be more eligible for a sportsmanship award. To keep losing and yet always bounce back again to try.....in other words a good attitude towards defeat.

That being said, gracious in victory is also important.

TheNatural
04-05-2009, 01:50 AM
Blake has shown bad sportsmanship a few times, like when he whined and made a big deal about some opponent moving his feet while getting ready to receive serve.Everyone agreed that it's legal and was ridiculous and dumb of Blake to complain instead of just focusing on playing.

However, what should the definition entail. While I think Federer is a gracious and classy leader, I don't see why James Blake isn't considered?

Now, many have said Nadal deserves the award. While his humility and graciousness are good qualities, I think the award should extend to on the court behavior. For instance, Nadal takes too much time in between points and violates the rules. Thils rules him out for me.

What are your definitions? what should the criteria be? on the court and off the court? or one of the two?

Ronny
04-05-2009, 01:54 AM
nadal pushes the time limit but i dont think he violates the rules, otherweise the umpire would have a say in that

Satch
04-05-2009, 02:21 AM
Federer's attitude in defeat is very very childish... i can't believe sometimes that that man have 27 years OMG

mandy01
04-05-2009, 02:24 AM
I believe a player should be himself.He should be willing to speak out what he feels instead of saying only nice things and patronizing.He should,on a general basis be well-behaved on court .To me Federer on a general basis is better behaved than any other top 4 player on court.Thats very important.
So yeah..Federer for me.

edberg505
04-05-2009, 02:26 AM
Blake has shown bad sportsmanship a few times, like when he whined and made a big deal about some opponent moving his feet while getting ready to receive serve.Everyone agreed that it's legal and was ridiculous and dumb of Blake to complain instead of just focusing on playing.

LOL, that's the best you've got? Well, damn that Blake is just evil.

P_Agony
04-05-2009, 02:31 AM
I think the worst sportsmanship is retiring matches. Especially ones where you don't have many games left and you can stay and have your opponent get hsi deserved win. Djokovic did it too many times, he retired to Federer at Monte Carlo with just 3 games to go, and he retired to Roddick this year at the AO with just 4 games to go. Nadal retired a match to Davydenko in Paris last year, and the crowd booed him for that. I don't recall Federer ever retiring matches in the middle.

If you feel like you're not healthy or too tired, don't step on court, it's better than coming and giving half a show with your lowest quiality of play. If you decide to go out there and play, then at least show decent respect to the crowd and the opponent and finish the thing.

TheNatural
04-05-2009, 02:53 AM
Was i meant to waste time searching hard to find the best? That was just 1 example I remember where Blake was an *** (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=245507&highlight=blake+feet+return). ;)

LOL, that's the best you've got? Well, damn that Blake is just evil.

edberg505
04-05-2009, 02:58 AM
Was i meant to waste time searching hard to find the best? That was just 1 example I remember where Blake was an *** (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=245507&highlight=blake+feet+return). ;)

Yeah, sorry that hardly qualifies as being an ***. Got anything else that disqualifies him from getting a sportsmanship award? Perhaps an incident of him cursing out an ump, or maybe hitting a ball out of the stadium?

TheNatural
04-05-2009, 03:02 AM
I think Nadal is the best sportsman out there, hes classy whether he wins or loses.

I think Fed can be fine when hes winning but can show lack of class at times when losing, many examples. It's very unsportsmanlike when he gets peeved at the hawkeye and takes it out on his opponents as if they have no right to dare make a challenge, he also acts peeved and irritated if the Umpire and hawkeye takes more than 1 second to rule on the line call. Remember one of the Wimbledon finals v Nadal where he got peeved at the hawkeye and then Nadal hit a ball well past the baseline and Fed angrily called out at Nadal "CHALLENGE THAT!!IT WILL PROBABLY BE CALLED IN!" good sportsmen simply just don't say crap like that.

mandy01
04-05-2009, 03:07 AM
I think Nadal is the best sportsman out there, hes classy whether he wins or loses.

I think Fed can be fine when hes winning but can show lack of class at times when losing, many examples. It's very unsportsmanlike when he gets peeved at the hawkeye and takes it out on his opponents as if they have no right to dare make a challenge, he also acts peeved and irritated if the Umpire and hawkeye takes more than 1 second to rule on the line call. Remember one of the Wimbledon finals v Nadal where he got peeved at the hawkeye and then Nadal hit a ball well past the baseline and Fed angrily called out at Nadal "CHALLENGE THAT!!IT WILL PROBABLY BE CALLED IN!" good sportsmen simply just don't say crap like that.He didnt say that.I have the match .I'm fine with the rest of your opinion but that is just not true.Infact this is the first time I've seen someone come up with this

TheNatural
04-05-2009, 03:15 AM
Well I have the match too, I recorded it on dvd from the tv coverage and that's very clearly exactly what he said, and John Newcombe also noted it and repeated what he said for us. Maybe they edited it out on your coverage.

He didnt say that.I have the match .I'm fine with the rest of your opinion but that is just not true.Infact this is the first time I've seen someone come up with this

mandy01
04-05-2009, 03:18 AM
Well I have the match too, I recorded it on dvd from the tv coverage and that's very clearly exactly what he said, and John Newcombe also noted it and repeated what he said for us. Maybe they edited it out on your coverage.
He did not.He said something to umpire about him being glad at first about Rafa challenging since he was sure it was out.Nowhere have I seen someone bring this up and I have no reason to buy this.But if thats what you heard nothing I can do about it.

P_Agony
04-05-2009, 03:19 AM

I think Fed can be fine when hes winning but can show lack of class at times when losing, many examples. It's very unsportsmanlike when he gets peeved at the hawkeye and takes it out on his opponents as if they have no right to dare make a challenge, he also acts peeved and irritated if the Umpire and hawkeye takes more than 1 second to rule on the line call. Remember one of the Wimbledon finals v Nadal where he got peeved at the hawkeye and then Nadal hit a ball well past the baseline and Fed angrily called out at Nadal "CHALLENGE THAT!!IT WILL PROBABLY BE CALLED IN!" good sportsmen simply just don't say crap like that.

And good sportsmen don't take more time than they should for every serve, and retire matches. I guess we have a different definition for sportsmanship.

Safinator_1
04-05-2009, 03:35 AM
Hrbaty or Santoro are better sportsman than Fed

TheNatural
04-05-2009, 03:41 AM
when someone is so focused they're not going to obsess over a couple of seconds and they're not exactly going to look at their watch in the middle of the service motion.

What do you mean 'retire matches'?

And good sportsmen don't take more time than they should for every serve, and retire matches. I guess we have a different definition for sportsmanship.

ferb55
04-05-2009, 04:12 AM
I am not sure who is most deserving of an award for this, but I noticed Rafa stopped to sign autographs the other night after getting beat. I was more than a little impressed. I cant remember any player signing autographs immediatley following a big loss. For what its worth...I thought it was pretty classy.

TheNatural
04-05-2009, 04:21 AM
Good sportsmanship in images:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/images/attachement/jpg/site1/20090204/0022190dec450af385bf18.jpg

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/images/attachement/jpg/site1/20090204/0022190dec450af3854015.jpg

pound cat
04-05-2009, 04:30 AM

Despite throwing rackets which do no harm ot anyone except the racket and his mind, Safin is a far better sportsman than most of the players, F included. He always praises his oppponents whether in victory or defeat, never disses any of the players in any way, always offers constructive ciriticism, treats the ball kids we,, and most of all will spend ages signing autograhs and having his picture taken a million times to make fans happy. And non one has ever seen him cry unlike some players inclouding Federer and delPotro.

pound cat
04-05-2009, 04:30 AM

Despite throwing rackets which do no harm ot anyone except the racket and his mind, Safin is a far better sportsman than most of the players, F included. He always praises his oppponents whether in victory or defeat, never disses any of the players in any way, always offers constructive ciriticism, treats the ball kids we,, and most of all will spend ages signing autograhs and having his picture taken a million times to make fans happy. And no one has ever seen him cry unlike some players including Federer and delPotro.

gj011
04-05-2009, 04:32 AM
I think the worst sportsmanship is retiring matches. Especially ones where you don't have many games left and you can stay and have your opponent get hsi deserved win. Djokovic did it too many times, he retired to Federer at Monte Carlo with just 3 games to go, and he retired to Roddick this year at the AO with just 4 games to go. Nadal retired a match to Davydenko in Paris last year, and the crowd booed him for that. I don't recall Federer ever retiring matches in the middle.

If you feel like you're not healthy or too tired, don't step on court, it's better than coming and giving half a show with your lowest quiality of play. If you decide to go out there and play, then at least show decent respect to the crowd and the opponent and finish the thing.

WTF. :shock:
People retire from matches when they are injured or sick and are not able to continue to play. That has nothing to do with not being sportsman. Unless you count being healthy as sportsmanship. :roll:

gj011
04-05-2009, 04:39 AM

Federer is quite bad sportsmen. Especially when losing. He certainly didn't receive that award after many bad things he did last year.

SaintClaires
04-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Despite throwing rackets which do no harm ot anyone except the racket and his mind, Safin is a far better sportsman than most of the players, F included. He always praises his oppponents whether in victory or defeat, never disses any of the players in any way, always offers constructive ciriticism, treats the ball kids we,, and most of all will spend ages signing autograhs and having his picture taken a million times to make fans happy. And non one has ever seen him cry unlike some players inclouding Federer and delPotro.

I agree. Safin is nice to people, but not racquets. What about Tsonga? Do you think he has good sportsmanship?

bdawg
04-05-2009, 05:36 PM
the ideal sportsman does the best to follow the rules without disparaging his opponent.

Neither Rafa or Federer fit those requirements.

I like Blake but someone like Michael Chang was a good choice.

breadstick
04-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Graciousness in defeat, humility in victory, politeness to officials and other players, playing a fair game, not taking physio breaks just to throw off your opponant, etc.

TheTruth
04-05-2009, 06:26 PM
I think attitude in defeat is more important than that in victory.
I think players who actually applaud their opponents magnificant points, even if just once and subtley, shows sportsmanship. Not arguing with umpires and remaining polite in all moments of adversity is a must.

I think comments made about fellow players also display sportsmanship.
Having a clean public image off the court is important.

Actually I think, someone who loses more often than wins would be more eligible for a sportsmanship award. To keep losing and yet always bounce back again to try.....in other words a good attitude towards defeat.

That being said, gracious in victory is also important.

Beautifully said.

clayman2000
04-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Sportsmanship can take many forms. For example, for me Andy Roddick is one off the most gracious players in defeat. He always compliments his opponents, never says he played bad (not even against Gasquet at Wimbledon). Federer for me does not fit this profile as when he looses he always blames himself.

However sportsmanship is also shown in the form of respect for umps, line judges and ball boys, something Roddick is clearly lacking. Federer would be one who exemplifies this good, as he rearely throws his raquets, calls the ump out or blames the line judges