PDA

View Full Version : Federer - String Change

Matty G
04-05-2009, 12:17 AM
With all these threads about federer needs to change to a bigger raquet (which are BS) . I think he could do with a string / set-up / tension change. Personally i would like to see Fed try using a full poly or even change to poly mains with gut crosses. He is really missing that forehand that he used to rely on. With full poly it could help get so more control and the added spin might help too, it could also help with the backhand when he plays the likes of nadal . He also hardly ever comes into net now so he will not miss the added feel of gut mains! What do you guys think?

ericsson
04-05-2009, 02:31 AM
With all these threads about federer needs to change to a bigger raquet (which are BS) . I think he could do with a string / set-up / tension change. Personally i would like to see Fed try using a full poly or even change to poly mains with gut crosses. He is really missing that forehand that he used to rely on. With full poly it could help get so more control and the added spin might help too, it could also help with the backhand when he plays the likes of nadal . He also hardly ever comes into net now so he will not miss the added feel of gut mains! What do you guys think?

Nope, wont do much difference, it worked so often for him, that's not the big problem, his confidence is, you dont get that back by changing to full poly IMO

Matty G
04-05-2009, 05:55 AM
Nope, wont do much difference, it worked so often for him, that's not the big problem, his confidence is, you dont get that back by changing to full poly IMO

Yes I agree but knowing your strings have more control could help when you go for the big forehand. I know it does for me!

Craig8592505
04-05-2009, 06:02 AM
The last thing in the world he needs to do is change his strings or racquet right now.

Josherer
04-05-2009, 06:12 AM

I find gut grips the ball like no other.

He needs confidence.

Not a new racquet
Not a new string job
Not a new coach
Not a new Girlfriend
Not a new sport

Just confidence. If Fed needed a new racquet or string job he would have it by now.

Eiffel59
04-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Yes he probably just need confidence...but if a growing numbers of well-playing youngsters continue to defeat him...i think he will HARDLY find the way to become confident again...

127mph
04-05-2009, 08:52 AM
this is what ive been saying. swithc to bb original, you get more plow over the ball

emerckx53
04-05-2009, 08:59 AM

That you should worry more about your own forehand...:-?

lordmanji
04-05-2009, 09:12 AM
yeah i dont think he needs new strings. those strings won him 13 grand slams. hes crapping out his forehand cuz of lack of confidence and probably hours on the practice court. what he needs is a coach to regiment his training and instill in him confidence.

Karma_struggle
04-05-2009, 09:14 AM
I find gut grips the ball like no other.

He needs confidence.

Not a new racquet
Not a new string job
Not a new coach
Not a new Girlfriend
Not a new sport

Just confidence. If Fed needed a new racquet or string job he would have it by now.

I totally disagree with Federer not needing a coach right now. I think Justin Gimelstob (?) hit the nail on the head for once when he said that Roger needs someone to hold him accountable to his style of play. The problem for Roger is finding someone that he respects enough to actually listen to. Otherwise great post.

tennisdad65
04-05-2009, 09:16 AM
I know he has great technique, but he would probably end up with Tennis elbow if he used full poly :)

BreakPoint
04-05-2009, 09:21 AM
I know he has great technique, but he would probably end up with Tennis elbow if he used full poly :)
Probably true, especially with a small-headed racquet (which gives you a stiffer stringbed) and his one-handed backhand (which puts more stress on your tendons).

Josherer
04-05-2009, 09:58 AM
I totally disagree with Federer not needing a coach right now. I think Justin Gimelstob (?) hit the nail on the head for once when he said that Roger needs someone to hold him accountable to his style of play. The problem for Roger is finding someone that he respects enough to actually listen to. Otherwise great post.

Fair enough. The only problem is that Fed is ignorant when it comes to finding a coach.

As you said,f inding someone that he respects enough to actually listen to, isn't going to be easy.