PDA

View Full Version : Took the overgrip and dampener off from my Vantage...

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
03-09-2005, 09:43 AM
I'm an overgrip man myself, but I recently took the Tourna-Grip off of my Vantage and played with just the leather underneath. I was very impressed with how well leather plays. thomas martinez, I know what you're talking about now. Even though the Tourna is a thin overgrip, bare leather just gives you much better feel for the bevels. I found this especially helpful at net with volleys. I think feeling the bevels is key for a solid and sound continental grip.

I also went ahead and took off the Pete Sampras dampener from my Vantage. Yes, I know, I'm quite the Unique Sports Co. "lady of the night". But for those of you who have heard that the 63 flex plays stiff, I disagree. Even without a dampener and with just a bare leather grip, I felt no stiffness or shock. This might have been because my strings are a little broken in (haven't been restrung after about 20 hours of use).

I can't speak to the flexibility and feel of the 70 RA frames.

GuyPerez
03-09-2005, 11:51 AM
20 hours on one string set!!!!!!?????? I can't get 5. I am jealous.

I also did the bare leather thing and agree on the volleys, but it seems my hand has grown and the 4 1/2 is too small and the 4 5/8 is too big. I did a clinic with bare leather and it was fine, but I then started a match that way and did not get very far before I could not hold on to it as well as I needed to. Bummer.

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
03-09-2005, 07:04 PM
Guy, I must not hit as hard as you do buddy. The leather is great. But I have yet to test it out in some brutal summer conditons. With a lot of humidity, the racquet could go flying and my beloved Vantage could break. By summer I'm sure I'll be going back to an overgrip. A Red overgrip like the Yonex Super Grap or Forten Wrap would look sick on the Vantage.

Guy, I'm interested in whether you have tried a non-Vantage string in your frame yet. I really want to try natural gut out in my 95 18 by 20.

GuyPerez
03-09-2005, 07:54 PM
Yup. Tried Prince Synthetic gut with Duraflex 16g (my usual string). Felt fine (familiar). Lasted one three set doubles match and most of the first set of a second doubles match. Tha Vantage Multifilament is softer.

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
03-09-2005, 09:49 PM
Do you use a dampener on your Vantage? I really like the feel without a dampener. However I could do without the high frequency vibration sounds. Do you think a natural gut would make the same sort of noise? If not, what kind of string would cut down on the noise?

BLiND
03-10-2005, 03:50 AM
How about using some power pads when you next restring?... I hear they knock out the ping sound, but don't dampen as much as a proper dampner?

GuyPerez
03-10-2005, 04:38 AM
Yes. I do use a dampener. I actually use a worm dampener which I guess is about the most you can do. I am so used to the worm that I don't even bother trying a racquet without one. One of my (many) on court quirks...... Let's not even talk about having to pick up the ball on a missed first serve before being able to hit a second serve. That drives me nuts - breaks my flow.....

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
03-10-2005, 08:29 AM
Blind, thanks for the power pads suggestion. I've never tried them before so I'm a little hesitant to try them out. Are you familiar with any string that doesn't ping? Is anyone? I realize this is a difficult question to answer because probably if a string doesn't ping on a certain frame, it will on another. For now I think my best bet would be natural gut, MAYBE with power pads.

Now back to leather grips. My Vantage leather grip is great, but after it wears out I really want to try Fairway leather grips. I've heard a lot about these. Does anyone know where I can get some.

prostaff_6.1_classsic
03-12-2005, 08:36 AM
just do a google for fairway grip and a few internet shops should come up. i found some not long ago, and paid quite alot for 3 grips. theyre not cheap, but if you like leather grips, are the best you can get.

nimxnooj
03-12-2005, 09:36 PM
As for the pinging sounds without having to dish out a lot of money on naturals, try a rubber band. They're pretty effective, don't mess with the weight of the racket, and should get rid of most of the pinging sound. JUst use a fat one!

Leon
03-12-2005, 09:43 PM
I use power pads on my stringing job. The stringer actually did it for me without asking, this is my second stringing job with it. I went from wilson worm (that was dumping a lot) to gamma red eye (taht does less). I will try on monday without gamma and tell u how it feels. You can also ask Gaines_Hillix he is one of the stringing experts on this forum.