PDA

View Full Version : New Products

barry
03-09-2005, 08:47 AM
What gives, the racket manufactures are changing model every year. Do they really thing, a new paint job, and a higher price will generate higher purchases?
Latest is the LM Radical, it has been out less than a year, and Head is dumping the Racket. Head should give a free upgrade to those who purchased the racket? One year is a very short time frame.
I did not buy the racket, but makes me wonder if something was wrong with the design. Maybe cracking, to many returns, or just lack of sales.

ollinger
03-09-2005, 08:54 AM
What gives??? You're not taking your Ritalin, that's what gives. You've apparently been following this board and still don't understand how marketing and merchandising work in the economic system?
________
Live Sex (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

barry
03-09-2005, 09:08 AM
ollinger

Most frames hang around for at least 2 years. Seldom have they dropped a frame this quick, if there is a problem, Head should notify the purchasers. I do not remember Head phasing any racket out this quick.

BreakPoint
03-09-2005, 11:45 AM
Maybe Head just wanted to boost their sales even more this time around. Doesn't mean anything is wrong with the previous racquet. Look at how quickly Nike comes out with new styles of tennis clothes. It doesn't mean there was anything wrong with the previous styles. Nike just wants to sell more clothes by making people think they need to wear the latest and greatest. Same applies to racquets.

ChrisNC
03-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Latest is the LM Radical, it has been out less than a year, and Head is dumping the Racket.
The LM Radical has been out more than a year. I'm pretty sure it came out sometime mid '03, which would put it approaching your 2 year mark

Colpo
03-09-2005, 12:34 PM
barry's got a point. If you guys don't notice that there's far less frame carryover from year to year these days, I'd look a little closer. For ex., the LM Rad is a 2004 frame. Sure, Agassi started to reveal it pre-US Open '03, got the buzz going, then Head unveiled it soon after the Open. But, if that were a baseball player, that's not enough at-bats to qualify for rookie of the year. The LM Rad didn't start to make the marketing rounds until '04. Now, Head's already moved on. I'd be ****ed - that frame should still be their state of the art until '06 at the earliest.

kooyah
03-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Latest is the LM Radical, it has been out less than a year, and Head is dumping the Racket.

You may want to check your facts. The LM RAD was out in 03. I bought it from TW around late August/early September of that year.

And honestly, who cares if they unveil new racquets? I am secure enough in my purchase to not need to constantly need to update my frame. Just because there may be a new Radical coming out soon doesn't mean that mine will automatically stop working.

barry
03-09-2005, 02:48 PM
kooyah

Review date on Tennis Warehouse customer comments start in 6/04. http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/feedback.html?pcode=LMRAD

Maybe you got one early. TW is pretty current on products. Product reviewed in August 2003, but it was not available at that time.

kooyah
03-09-2005, 02:53 PM
kooyah
Maybe you got one early. TW is pretty current on products. Product reviewed in August 2003, but it was not available at that time.

Yes, it was. I ordered mine shortly after reading the review. Just because the user comments only date back to 6/04 doesn't mean that the product wasn't available before that time. There were user comments dated prior to 6/04, but TW seems to have removed them from the site.

If you seriously doubt the veracity of my claim, then I highly suggest you contact TW, as well as Head, to inquire as to when the racquet was originally released. Additionally, I know that several posters here at this message board had also bought the LM Radical during the fall of 03.

Fact of the matter is that the LM Radical was widely available during 03.

barry
03-09-2005, 03:04 PM
kooyah

Don't doubt anything, just surprised Head would drop a racket in 1 1/2 years. Point being it is to short a time, either problems with the frame or not selling like previous models. Last Radical I used was the Ti.Radical, it lasted 7 to 8 years.

BreakPoint
03-09-2005, 04:17 PM
kooyah

Don't doubt anything, just surprised Head would drop a racket in 1 1/2 years. Point being it is to short a time, either problems with the frame or not selling like previous models. Last Radical I used was the Ti.Radical, it lasted 7 to 8 years.

I'm pretty sure the Ti.Radical also lasted only 2 years. It came out in 1999 and was discontinued in 2001 when the i.Radical came out. Yes, you can still buy the Ti.Radical, but is was officially supplanted by the i.Radical. That's why the Ti.Radical sold for like $79 after the i.Radical came out. (BTW, you can still also buy the i.Radical for $89 at TW even though it's discontinued, too.) I'm sure the same will happen with the LM Radical. You'll still be able to get the LM Radical at a discounted price, but it'll no longer be promoted by Head and their endorsement pros will have moved on to Flexpoint Radical paintjobs, since the Flexpoint Radical will have officially supplanted the LM Radical.

ragnaROK
03-09-2005, 06:08 PM
just means faster discounts on good rackets. that's right you keep your tech guys busy over there Big Racket Companies! More selection(although not always better) and more competition means I win.

Colpo
03-10-2005, 06:11 AM
kooyah

barry, you're softening your stance up a bit now. It's a small point, but I'm not falling for the argument that Head's release of any frame after the US Open means that it's that year's frame. Plus, that hardly qualifies as 1/2 a year.

Point is, the LM Rad didn't make the industry rounds until the '04 model year. The fact that Head chose an early release to maximize on the frame's momentum after the US hardcourt season isn't my business. Now, a year later, Agassi is jamming with a different, "better" stick (well, he wouldn't use a "worse" model, right?). By contrast, consider that approximately five or six whole model years passed from the original bumblebee Rad to the Twin Tube Rad to the Ti.Rad. If folks don't see the intro of the FP Rad now as being a sea change from the way business used to be done in this arena, then we'll just agree to disagree on this point. Bygones?

Richie Rich
03-10-2005, 07:37 AM
what's funny is that liquid metal was a huge advancement (according to head) and now, all of a sudden, decided that no, maybe flexpoint technology is better. be interesting to see a radical with every head technology - twin tube, titanium, liquid metal, flexpoint. Would there be enough room in the head to support all the technology?