PDA

View Full Version : Breakpoint, TribleB: 6.0 95

hedonist
03-09-2005, 09:52 AM
The specs of the 6.0 95 are:
Strung Weight: 346
Balance: 10pts HL
Swing Weight: 317

If the original leathergrip is removed and a synthetic replacement grip is wrapped, then Strung Weight falls about 10g. What do you guess, how much are the other two factors (balance, Swing Weight) influenced by this change?

I heard of the dead upper hoop of this stick. Can such a change help because the balance point will move to the head?

Thanks.

BreakPoint
03-09-2005, 12:31 PM
I've never removed the leather grips from my PS 6.0 95's since I like the feel of the stiff leather underneath my overgrips. But I would guess it would not change the playability of the upper hoop very much at all. All you're doing by putting on a lighter grip is lightening up the overall weight of the racquet, which might make it less stable. Yes, the balance may change a bit, but the mass in the hoop remains the same so it should play the same, i.e., you're not creating more mass in the head by removing mass from the handle. I think you're better off adding some lead tape on the hoop to raise the sweetspot a bit.

bee
03-09-2005, 01:05 PM
I have a ps 95 with a 4 and 1/2 handle size. I took the leather grip off and built the handle butt plate up some with 1/2" adhesive tape. Then, I put four 1/2" by 4" lead tape strips vertically on the four larger sides of the naked handle, one 1/2" strip on each side of the throat, 1/4" strips at 3 and 9 o'clock on the head and another 1/4" strip up at the 12 o'clock apex. Put some colored tape on the upper handle then an XL Tournagrip from the butt on up as far as it will go.

One reason I did this was I wanted the grip a bit smaller, but I've found it's pretty nice for feel and I like the weight distribution. It's heavier but still headlight. I think it hits a lot better than the stock model. Heavy and solid. Requires some upper body strength for sure, but does everything well. Serves great! I've been a Head Classic Midplus user and talked about how great it is, but this modified ps 95 gives me so much more spin on both ground strokes and serves. I can't hit with quite the same velocity as with the Head, but I keep the ball in the court much better and hit a heavy hopping ball pretty well so it's just better for my game.

bee
03-09-2005, 01:15 PM
That's the Prostaff Original 6.0 95 I'm referring to above.

foucapol
03-10-2005, 12:41 AM
To move the sweet spot upward, I also took the leather grip off and replaced with a cushion grip, and could see the best result when I placed 3gs of lead tapes each to 2 & 10 o'clock and 4 or 5gs to 12 o clock. Now, much much stable and big improvement in serves.

hedonist
03-10-2005, 01:07 AM
I think everybody has to find out his own best setup. But this (-leathergrip +lead tape) is a possibility of moving the sweetspot without changing strung weight!!!

hedonist
03-11-2005, 12:26 PM
I have another queston concerning the 6.0 95. I bought mine at **** and on the butt cap it says GFY. What do these three letters stand for?

BreakPoint
03-11-2005, 12:39 PM
I have another queston concerning the 6.0 95. I bought mine at **** and on the butt cap it says GFY. What do these three letters stand for?

It doesn't really mean anything. It's just Wilson's internal code to indicate where and when the racquet was manufactured. I believe all PS 6.0 95's were made in China.

hedonist
03-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Ok, then I think the St. Vincent story only refers to the 6.0 85.

By the way, at the "Y" of the frame it says "Braided Construction Exclusively Manufactured by CHIAO TA".
Isn't that Taiwan?

Does the 6.0 95 from TW have the same details?

10isbum
03-11-2005, 01:40 PM
I once spoke to the Wilson rep regarding the three letter code on the butt cap and he said one letter represented the month, another the year, and one letter for the location of plant manufacturing the racket.

BreakPoint
03-11-2005, 02:02 PM
I believe the first letter "G" means it was made in the China plant. I'm not sure if "CHIAO TA" is a Taiwanese company or not, but their plant that makes Wilson racquets is located in China. Yes, all PS 6.0 95's from TW have the same markings. And, yes, the St. Vincent story only applies to the PS 6.0 85. The St. Vincent plant closed in 1991. The PS 6.0 95 was introduced in 1994 so by then all manufacturing had already moved to China. (BTW, some PS 6.0 85's were made in Taiwan between 1991 - 1994.)

hedonist
03-13-2005, 05:54 AM
Thanks, there remains one last question!
My 6.0 95 has grip size 4 1/2 SL4. Is there a difference to grip size 4 1/2 L4? Is the 6.0 95 from TW SL or L?

BreakPoint
03-13-2005, 08:51 AM
No difference as far as I know. I think Wilson changed the designation a few years ago when racquets in general became lighter and lighter. So 12.2 oz. used to be considered "SL" or "Super Light", now that same weight is only considered "L" or "Light".

Tenny
03-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Hi,

I have a couple of questions too. Is there any significant difference between White buttcap version and Black buttcap version? I have 3 white Buttcap and used to have one black. When I checked with Wilson, one of whitie turned out to be from 1997 while the black one was from 1998. So I guess they changed from white to black circa 1997~1998. Is it correct? Also, I sold the black one because the handle shape was different from white ones. It was more 'fat' or round. Anyone noticed this difference? T.I.A.!

Tenny.

BreakPoint
03-13-2005, 06:48 PM
I've never noticed a difference in the handle shape between white and black butt caps. I do have one white butt cap one that is a bit lighter than my other white AND black butt cap ones, though. I think you are right about the timeframe that Wilson changed from white to black butt caps.

hedonist
03-14-2005, 01:57 AM
I measured SL4 (6.0 95) and L4 (6.1 Classic) in the middle of the handle (without grips!) and at the end of the butt cap. To my surprise the SL4 is a little smaller. The difference is 0.5-1mm in each direction. Is the 6.0 95 from TW L or SL? Thanks.

BreakPoint
03-14-2005, 12:29 PM
hedonist,
As I already explained above, the "SL" designation no longer exists. Wilson changed them all to "L", just like they changed from white to black butt caps. The PS 6.0 95's from TW are no different from the ones from anywhere else. It's not a special version. If you bought a PS 6.0 95 from TW five years ago, it would have said "SL". If you bought one today, it would say "L", but it's the same racquet with the same specs.

hedonist
03-21-2005, 06:36 AM
Inside of the lower head of my 6.0 95 it says "MIDPLUS". But there are pictures of other 6.0 95 that have "95sq.in." at the same position. Do the different markings give any information about the age of the racquets? Thanks.

BreakPoint
03-21-2005, 11:58 AM
The ones that say "95 SQ. IN." are older than the ones that say "MIDPLUS". The current ones say "MIDPLUS". The ones that say "95 SQ. IN." probably also have white butt caps and are likely from the mid to late-90's.