PDA

View Full Version : Why Does Federer Use that Hybrid like that?

10sdude85
04-05-2009, 07:05 PM
quick question to anyone who wants to answer this...but why does federer use natural gut in the mains and Luxilon ALU rough in the crosses? isnt the purpose of the ALU rough to create more spin? yet, he doesnt use it in the mains....

Nanshiki
04-05-2009, 07:47 PM
quick question to anyone who wants to answer this...but why does federer use natural gut in the mains and Luxilon ALU rough in the crosses? isnt the purpose of the ALU rough to create more spin? yet, he doesnt use it in the mains....

natural gut for power and feel, poly crosses for control.

crazylevity
04-05-2009, 08:46 PM
One of the top stringers (may have been Roman Prokes or Nate Ferguson) once mentioned that in a hybrid, you get 80% of the main's characteristics, coupled with 20% of the cross characteristics.

In Federer's case, using a hybrid where the natural gut is in the mains means it retains most of the power and feel of natural gut, while the Alu Rough enables him to rein in the power a little, and add just a touch more spin. Federer doesn't really 'need' the strings to create spin; his racquet head speed is more than sufficient for that.

ffrpg
04-05-2009, 08:50 PM
He uses lux in the crosses so the natural gut doesn't move around as much.

wilsondude
04-05-2009, 09:07 PM
He quit it over it doesnt matter......thanks

haha your a tool.

[d]ragon
04-05-2009, 10:31 PM
I believe Murray also uses gut in the mains so Feds not the only one (I bet there are more).

10sdude85
04-05-2009, 10:33 PM
thanks guys!

OTMPut
04-05-2009, 10:38 PM
ragon;3292738']I believe Murray also uses gut in the mains so Feds not the only one (I bet there are more).

I thought he uses Gut for X.

[d]ragon
04-05-2009, 10:42 PM
I thought he uses Gut for X.

Lemme check again and I'll get back to you. I could be wrong

Edit: I stand corrected, he uses Lux in the mains. Thanks for correcting me OTMPut

dktracer
04-05-2009, 11:33 PM
I'm pretty sure he uses Lux in the crosses and gut in the mains. I really love that setup and I put it both in my k90 and kps

djoko4thewin
04-06-2009, 07:16 AM
murray uses lux in main and gut in crosses, what is the effect of this? and anyone know his tension?

ncwxx717
04-06-2009, 05:16 PM
murray uses lux in main and gut in crosses, what is the effect of this? and anyone know his tension?

the effect is that there is more durability and control. In one of chris edward's interviews with nate ferguson from last year he said that murray gets his racquets strung at 60 lbs.

RFtennis
04-10-2009, 12:23 AM
One of the top stringers (may have been Roman Prokes or Nate Ferguson) once mentioned that in a hybrid, you get 80% of the main's characteristics, coupled with 20% of the cross characteristics.

In Federer's case, using a hybrid where the natural gut is in the mains means it retains most of the power and feel of natural gut, while the Alu Rough enables him to rein in the power a little, and add just a touch more spin. Federer doesn't really 'need' the strings to create spin; his racquet head speed is more than sufficient for that.

always wanted to know why he does that

Dark_Angel85
04-10-2009, 01:18 AM
which string is strung on mains or crosses differs to what surface he plays at. He not only modifies the tension a little bit according to the surface, i've read that he even switches the mains and crosses too

Josherer
04-10-2009, 01:56 AM
Full gut is too power and full poly, well that just feels like shiit.

Hyrbid you get the best of the gut with the power toned down a litlle.

yourmom08
04-12-2009, 05:33 AM
haha your a tool.

haha no, you're a tool.

quest01
04-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Full gut is too power and full poly, well that just feels like shiit.

Hyrbid you get the best of the gut with the power toned down a litlle.

Yes thats true and it also depends on the racquet people use. For instance with me I use poly in the mains with the APDC, Prestige Pro and most other racquets but with the KPS88 and K90 I'll either use poly in the crosses or I wont even use it.

gymrat76
04-12-2009, 12:25 PM
The racquet that I get most spin and control from, is an 18x20 patterned (tinkered) K6.1 Team. Because it has VS Team / Alu Rough setup!

It basically cups the ball like a broken into b-ball glove, and spits back to where you want it. It is just fun to see my opponents' frustration when a ball I hit with this string setup takes a trajectory like it is totally going long..then swirves down in the last second, drops on the b-line and spins towards the fence....

I tried other brands' gut n' poly combos (klip nat/cf) still, vs team/alu ruff is the best out there!

ppl should invest in these two strings, not buying more sticks :)

paulorenzo
04-12-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm pretty sure he uses Lux in the crosses and gut in the mains. I really love that setup and I put it both in my k90 and kps

yeh i second that. i thought it was a weird set up at first, but it allowed me to control the ball placement more in comparison to having lux alu in the mains.

i lose some feel when any poly is in the mains, which is very noticable when i try to put winners away(the stringbed doesnt "give" as much).

imalil2gangsta4u
04-12-2009, 10:17 PM
yeh i second that. i thought it was a weird set up at first, but it allowed me to control the ball placement more in comparison to having lux alu in the mains.

i lose some feel when any poly is in the mains, which is very noticable when i try to put winners away(the stringbed doesnt "give" as much).

paul, how long does this setup last for you?

paulorenzo
04-12-2009, 10:30 PM
paul, how long does this setup last for you?

it's the standard hybrid duration for me. depending whether we are rallying or playing matches and on how long we scrap it out on the courts usually 3 three-hour sessions. yet the thing with having gut on the mains, your setup feels almost full gut, but with a little more power and spin. it doesn't bother me when when i lose some tension. because due to the tendency of gut, it plays just about as sweet as when you started no matter how close you are to breaking your setup.