PDA

View Full Version : Federer SEE Post-Loss Interview

dirkgnuf
04-05-2009, 08:27 PM
ESPN has it up for those interested.

Interesting about the body language and stuff. Federer definitely seems to have some wetness near his eyes, and he has a pretty fierce and angry look at the beginning.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4041965

JuliusWinto
04-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Definitely crying.

RCizzle65
04-05-2009, 08:51 PM
http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/3/en/assets/pdfs/interviews/federer040309.pdf

for those that can't hear

dextor
04-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Definitely crying.

Umm no, he was just sweating from the match...unless you mean it metaphorically.

OP: He definitely seemed really ****ed. A lot of angry sarcastic comments that isn't really reflected well in the scripted pdf file.

I'm disappointed he didn't congratulate Novak for the win, in fact he said Novak played horribly, and he himself gave the match away and played worse. I mean, it's actually true, as most people who saw the match can agree, but not too cool. He should have instead said "the conditions were tough for both of us, we both weren't playing well, but he handled it a lot better than I did and came out on top".
Overall, bad interview.

tenniscool
04-05-2009, 09:50 PM
I also think he looked like he was crying

icedevil0289
04-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Umm no, he was just sweating from the match...unless you mean it metaphorically.

OP: He definitely seemed really ****ed. A lot of angry sarcastic comments that isn't really reflected well in the scripted pdf file.

I'm disappointed he didn't congratulate Novak for the win, in fact he said Novak played horribly, and he himself gave the match away and played worse. I mean, it's actually true, as most people who saw the match can agree, but not too cool. He should have instead said "the conditions were tough for both of us, we both weren't playing well, but he handled it a lot better than I did and came out on top".
Overall, bad interview.

He did mention something about the conditions being the same for both players, but overall I agree with you. Bad interview.

rubberduckies
04-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Just the typical arrogant post-loss interview from Fed.

Any transcript available because it's pretty hard to hear the questions being asked.

luckyboy1300
04-05-2009, 10:37 PM

Overall, bad interview.

Q: Did you think he managed the wind better than you did?

RF: Well I guess so. The results show it. Yeah.

rubberduckies
04-05-2009, 10:47 PM
Q: Did you think he managed the wind better than you did?

RF: Well I guess so. The results show it. Yeah.

Did you hear his tone?

Also, he nearly loses it at 1:40 left, almost goes into crybaby mode.

It's good that he's happy to leave HC and move onto the clay. He plays his best tennis on clay. Nadal also plays his best tennis on clay. When Roger's best goes up against Rafa's best, the result is 1-9 and 6-1,6-3,6-0.

icedevil0289
04-05-2009, 11:02 PM
Did you hear his tone?

It's good that he's happy to leave HC and move onto the clay. He plays his best tennis on clay. Nadal also plays his best tennis on clay. When Roger's best goes up against Rafa's best, the result is 1-9 and 6-1,6-3,6-0.

lmao
10 char

BorisBeckerFan
04-05-2009, 11:15 PM
It's getting harder and harder for me to like Federer. I haven't warmed up to Nadal either. Man It's a tough time for me to watch tennis.

Hot Sauce
04-05-2009, 11:26 PM
http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/3/en/assets/pdfs/interviews/federer040309.pdf

for those that can't hear

What are you calling me, deaf?

Jk, jk, thanks for the link.

Josherer
04-06-2009, 01:00 AM
Did you hear his tone?

Maybe you're thinking of a different Roger Federer?

caulcano
04-06-2009, 04:12 AM
Definitely crying.

I hope Federer doesn't make a habit of crying/wet eyes after every loss.

janipyt05
04-06-2009, 04:20 AM
oh dear Fed is showing a bad loser quality, not a good look really. ~Losing is not easy i understand that but showing that kind of snappy attitude will not in the nedia win you any great comments, it may in fact undo all the his a great sport post and all that. Its not good, its not the media's fault he lost. Any ways i'm sure he is glad to move on to clay but the problem is not the surface but his tennis and that he carries with him everyday.

oy vey
04-06-2009, 08:17 AM
It's always All About Him.

Kot_Bigemot
04-06-2009, 08:51 AM
I hope Federer doesn't make a habit of crying/wet eyes after every loss.
My god! Yeah, he is like a little girl.
So pathetic. Just a sore looser.
And it really bothers me - for god's sake, you lost, so what? At least be man enough to admit it and congratulate your opponent, take it like a man, do not act like a little b..ch.

gj011
04-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Bad and pathetic interview. No credit to Djokovic at all.

vtmike
04-06-2009, 08:54 AM
^^^ Yeah just like Djokovic's interview after losing to Roddick!

Richie Rich
04-06-2009, 08:57 AM
sounds like a serena post match conference

rubberduckies
04-06-2009, 10:58 AM

EXACTLY!

Roger is definitely the Serena Williams of the ATP.
Unfortunately, people will still blindly defend this type of behavior when it comes from Roger.

nikdom
04-06-2009, 11:31 AM
I don't know what you people expect here on these boards. I think your inherent biases and dislikes just bubble up in the form of some inane grievance or other against certain players.

Imagine yourself in his shoes. You just lost a match badly in front of all these people. Nothing you tried was working. You lost your temper being the perfectionist you are and the demands you make of yourself on court. Now imagine having to go out and answer a bunch of questions from people that are looking for the most interesting sound bite and will ask you pointed questions to elicit a response that will generate controversy. How would you feel? Pretty ****y I would guess!

Yes, obviously things are different for anyone when they lose vs when they are winning. Especially when someone goes from winning everything in sight to hardly winning anything. Even the normally self-effacing Rafa seemed slightly sour-grapish in his interview after the Del Potro match. What do you expect from these guys? They are human beings like you and me.

RalphNYC
04-06-2009, 11:39 AM
But you have to admit, Fed is having a very very tough time dealing with his decline. He's smashing his racquet and crying after he loses - it's not good. And I'm a fan.

rubberduckies
04-06-2009, 11:46 AM
^^^ I completely agree. It must be extremely tough. But I don't see anybody rushing to Serena's defense when she makes these comments or anybody rushing to Djoker's even though he almost certainly has some type of breathing condition. I just want the same standards applied to everybody, and I feel that for too long Federer has been given a pass while it's fair game to bash other players.

nikdom
04-06-2009, 11:55 AM
^^^ I completely agree. It must be extremely tough. But I don't see anybody rushing to Serena's defense when she makes these comments or anybody rushing to Djoker's even though he almost certainly has some type of breathing condition. I just want the same standards applied to everybody, and I feel that for too long Federer has been given a pass while it's fair game to bash other players.

Don't bash anyone! ... and don't tolerate anyone bashing anyone. There is no bashing police around so do the right thing yourself!

dirkgnuf
04-06-2009, 01:31 PM

It's hard to rush to a player's defense when the player(Serena) clearly does not have tennis as her number one priority, is notable for her ungracious post-match interviews when she loses, which can be expected just about every time she loses a match. How does one get behind a player who looks as listless as Serena sometimes? Same thing with Djokovic, and his health issues and numerous trainer problems, which he has even admitted on one occasion, he did so to disrupt his opponent's rhythm.

Federer was clearly frustrated with himself, and nearly all observers agreed that both players played a sloppy match. He's in a bad mood, give him a break. Sampras and Agassi, had plenty of these type of interviews after losses. No big deal. Federer may be held at a different standard than Serena or Djokovic because this is a guy who has retired from only one match in his entire career I believe, doesn't delay play time, and makes his tennis career his first priority.

stormholloway
04-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Did you hear his tone?

You're kind of... pathetic. Something tells me you get genuine pleasure when Roger Federer loses a tennis match.

gj011
04-06-2009, 03:48 PM
It's hard to rush to a player's defense when the player(Serena) clearly does not have tennis as her number one priority, is notable for her ungracious post-match interviews when she loses, which can be expected just about every time she loses a match. How does one get behind a player who looks as listless as Serena sometimes? Same thing with Djokovic, and his health issues and numerous trainer problems, which he has even admitted on one occasion, he did so to disrupt his opponent's rhythm.

Federer was clearly frustrated with himself, and nearly all observers agreed that both players played a sloppy match. He's in a bad mood, give him a break. Sampras and Agassi, had plenty of these type of interviews after losses. No big deal. Federer may be held at a different standard than Serena or Djokovic because this is a guy who has retired from only one match in his entire career I believe, doesn't delay play time, and makes his tennis career his first priority.

What a biased post. Sure, give Federer a break, but bash Serena and Djokovic all you want. :roll:

Anyway, bolded statement is not true. Djokovic never said anything like that. Some haters here intentionally misquoted and misinterpreted what he said and now we have some new haters who are quoting something that is not true as common fact.

gj011
04-06-2009, 03:50 PM
^^^ Yeah just like Djokovic's interview after losing to Roddick!

No. Djokovic interview after loss to Roddick was much better. This one is just bad.

Safinator_1
04-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Yes i agree Fed seemed really frustrated at the interview but i don't think he was crying it seemed more like the sweat to me

rubberduckies
04-06-2009, 05:49 PM
You're kind of... pathetic. Something tells me you get genuine pleasure when Roger Federer loses a tennis match.

After the Australian Open final, I made numerous extremely gracious posts about how Federer is a great champion and will get back on his feet. I in no way tried to rub it in to anybody. In fact, I did the complete opposite. However, it is just impossible to remain a neutral Nadal fan when within minutes of the final there were 20+ threads created about how Fed lost the match and Nadal did nothing to win it or about how Nadal is a talentless pusher. Don't pretend that this forum is equally divided between Federer and Nadal fans. When Nadal lost in Miami there were a couple of threads. When Federer lost, 10 threads popped up offering excuses, criticizing the very existence of the tournament, etc.

My Fed/Nad posts center around two things: I want people to respect Nadal and acknowledge his talent, and I feel that Fed is a poor sport. If you disagree, fine, but don't bash me just because I'm not shying from expressing my viewpoint.

djsiva
04-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Definitely crying.

Like I said Fed has IQ of 50. He acts like a twelve year old. Just like the twelve year old moderator who keeps deleting my posts.

Don't worry I buy my strings and rackets now from Mid West and Holy Bird. Better service. Better prices.

ronalditop
04-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Like I said Fed has IQ of 50. He acts like a twelve year old. Just like the twelve year old moderator who keeps deleting my posts.

Don't worry I buy my strings and rackets now from Mid West and Holy Bird. Better service. Better prices.

this troll is desperately asking to be banned.

dincuss
04-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Wait he says he had 5 coaches over 2 years,
Is this true?
Its more like 2 over 5...

Ronny
04-06-2009, 07:18 PM
he looks liek hes crying and pretty ****ed that he lsot it....i still feel that hes being an a-hole for not congradulating novak on the win

gj011
04-06-2009, 07:23 PM
After the Australian Open final, I made numerous extremely gracious posts about how Federer is a great champion and will get back on his feet. I in no way tried to rub it in to anybody. In fact, I did the complete opposite. However, it is just impossible to remain a neutral Nadal fan when within minutes of the final there were 20+ threads created about how Fed lost the match and Nadal did nothing to win it or about how Nadal is a talentless pusher. Don't pretend that this forum is equally divided between Federer and Nadal fans. When Nadal lost in Miami there were a couple of threads. When Federer lost, 10 threads popped up offering excuses, criticizing the very existence of the tournament, etc.

My Fed/Nad posts center around two things: I want people to respect Nadal and acknowledge his talent, and I feel that Fed is a poor sport. If you disagree, fine, but don't bash me just because I'm not shying from expressing my viewpoint.

Very nice, true and accurate post. I felt the same way when I joined here and had to read miles and miles of Novak's and even Tipsarevic's bashing when they dared to play good and god forbid beat his tennis highness.

stormholloway
04-07-2009, 07:59 AM

Fair enough.

CyBorg
04-07-2009, 08:01 AM
I'd be ****ed too. He's in a bind.

mentalcase
04-07-2009, 10:56 AM
It's always All About Him.

Agree. Fed's constant crying is kind of disturbing. He comes off very emotionally immature.

CCNM
04-07-2009, 11:18 AM
EEK!!!!! Sounds like RF.com in this thread. My opinion? If he keeps acting like this his image is going to be tarnished. Nobody likes to talk about how a great player/gentleman became a jerk at the end of his career.:)

nikdom
04-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Agree. Fed's constant crying is kind of disturbing. He comes off very emotionally immature.

Let me tackle these one by one-
"Constant Crying" - I don't think you understand what this means. You wouldn't know unless you were around a week old baby. Shedding tears of joy or relief or stress after a momentous event like playing a Slam final or getting awarded a trophy from a man you've admired all your life is not "constant crying".

"Disturbing" - If you're a self-proclaimed mentalcase, sure, someone expressing their emotions can be disturbing to you.

"Emotionally Immature" - What you saw at the AO is just called being "emotional", not emotionally immature. All sorts of athletes have cried on the field of play, even 300 lb linebackers. The only immaturity is from the repressed people that think men crying is somehow wrong.

I do detect some self-pity in Roger's tone and demeanour after losing and that's bad for him if he wants to rebound. But crying after a win/loss, that's no problem to me - it just shows someone is emotional, that's all. Nothing wrong with that.

plain jane
04-07-2009, 11:49 AM
I think it is pretty clear that it was sweat and that he was not crying. He was in a foul mood, cant really blame the guy. There really are too many children posting immature comments in this forum.

Patrick_St
04-07-2009, 12:00 PM
I think it is pretty clear that it was sweat and that he was not crying. He was in a foul mood, cant really blame the guy. There really are too many children posting immature comments in this forum.

I agree. It was clearly sweat, and the other statement you made is correct as well.

gj011
04-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Sure, he was sweating only around his eyes. :roll:

DunlopDood
04-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Someone get this man an air conditioned room for god sakes. He's sweating not crying.

VashTheStampede
04-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Someone get this man an air conditioned room for god sakes. He's sweating not crying.

Yeah, he's obviously upset because there's no air conditioner.

I'm no Fed hater and seriously couldn't care less if he cries or not. It's just how he reacts to tough losses. Even if his "tears" happened to be sweat after all, you can easily tell by his tone, facial expression, and verbal comments that he's really agitated or on the verge of crying.

fastdunn
04-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Generally speaking, Nadal and Murray handle interviews very wisely. Federer last 2 years has not handled them 100% wisely. Djokovic also makes some unwise comments here and there. Federer, a player with such a elevated status, is better off with very boring interviews.

nikdom
04-07-2009, 03:15 PM

Better than breathing problems when down a set and a break. ;)

gj011
04-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Better than breathing problems when down a set and a break. ;)

Or even worse when up a set and a break.

emerckx53
04-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Let me tackle these one by one-
"Constant Crying" - I don't think you understand what this means. You wouldn't know unless you were around a week old baby. Shedding tears of joy or relief or stress after a momentous event like playing a Slam final or getting awarded a trophy from a man you've admired all your life is not "constant crying".

"Disturbing" - If you're a self-proclaimed mentalcase, sure, someone expressing their emotions can be disturbing to you.

"Emotionally Immature" - What you saw at the AO is just called being "emotional", not emotionally immature. All sorts of athletes have cried on the field of play, even 300 lb linebackers. The only immaturity is from the repressed people that think men crying is somehow wrong.

I do detect some self-pity in Roger's tone and demeanour after losing and that's bad for him if he wants to rebound. But crying after a win/loss, that's no problem to me - it just shows someone is emotional, that's all. Nothing wrong with that.

Well said.

myservenow
04-07-2009, 04:06 PM
There really are too many children posting immature comments in this forum.

I totally agree. I really hope that a lot of these posts are coming from children who have absolutely no idea of what they are talking about rather than adults with no excuse for such immaturity. There must be something lacking in so many lives for people to live and die by what some tennis player thousands of miles away says or does.

emerckx53
04-07-2009, 04:15 PM

Even worse we have a whole slew of people (who my guess are all between the ages of 13-20) on this forum who have no clue what Fed is dealing with, have no clue what type of person he is aside from 10 minute post match comments, don't understand the personality or tone of Swiss people in general. You are all welcome to your opinions but this constant ****ging of Fed is pretty immature. I remember when Michael Schumacher was winning every weekend for three years and had to listen to idiots make comments about everything from his hair sponsor Loreal or the size of his chin etc...Fed is very close to becoming the GOAT..I see it as he is REALLY trying hard to get there...and wants it bad, very bad..he is losing some close matches, having trouble being consistent at times and losing to players who are improving. He is having some troubles dealing with it..pretty normal really. He may need to bottom out all the way first..he is young enough to get it together and come back for another strong year or two and get it done.

dirkgnuf
04-07-2009, 07:09 PM
What a biased post. Sure, give Federer a break, but bash Serena and Djokovic all you want. :roll:

Anyway, bolded statement is not true. Djokovic never said anything like that. Some haters here intentionally misquoted and misinterpreted what he said and now we have some new haters who are quoting something that is not true as common fact.

If anything, I find you labelling me a 'hater' a bit too premature, biased and borderline inflammatory. You have one viewpoint, and I had another, so what? That makes me a hater?

Here's some proof to back up what I said. If you can find anything to refute this, do tell.

From 2005 US Open:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/31/sports/tennis/31injury.html

From the article: "Overcome by the weather and causing a controversy in sportsmanship, Novak Djokovic called for five timeouts, four of which were sanctioned, during his five-set match with Gael Monfils yesterday afternoon..."These timeouts helped me a lot because he is still physically better prepared than me," Djokovic said. "I know for people watching the match that it is very irritating, but that is the only way I could continue to win." (Actual Quote)

Or consider that according to tennis.com, Federer has the lowest match retirement rate of all top 10 players at....0

http://www.tennis.com/uploadedImages/Editorial/General/2008_04_28_Retirementscharttotal_article.jpg

http://www.tennis.com/features/general/features.aspx?id=127724

I have somewhat more admiration for Federer than for Serena or Djokovic because Djokovic has admitted to abusing timeouts, while Serena does not have the dedication towards her sport. How is that biased? I see one athlete who is fully committed to his sport, one who cares so much about it that you can see the irritation and self-anger in his post-match interview. Finally, check out interviews where Agassi and Sampras have lost-they don't look too happy nor should they be. As champions, they hate to lose.

Sure, Federer may seem slightly bitter in his interview, but he openly acknowledges he was the worser player of the two that day. Sure, he could come out and say that Djokovic was the better player, but he is implying the same thing.

pound cat
04-08-2009, 02:49 PM
This has to be one of the most difficult to watch and saddest sports interviews ever. Federer sounds like a broken man and this makes the AO ceremony seem like not even mentioning. Poor Roger.

PM interview recent defeat by Djokocvic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENdw9ezginM

FEDERER>buttpicker.
04-08-2009, 08:03 PM
federer is awesome.

carlos djackal
04-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Did you hear his tone?

LOL...............

maximo
04-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Fed's wearing that real nice jacket, wish it was for sale. :(

gj011
04-09-2009, 04:06 AM
If anything, I find you labelling me a 'hater' a bit too premature, biased and borderline inflammatory. You have one viewpoint, and I had another, so what? That makes me a hater?

Here's some proof to back up what I said. If you can find anything to refute this, do tell.

From 2005 US Open:

From the article: "Overcome by the weather and causing a controversy in sportsmanship, Novak Djokovic called for five timeouts, four of which were sanctioned, during his five-set match with Gael Monfils yesterday afternoon..."These timeouts helped me a lot because he is still physically better prepared than me," Djokovic said. "I know for people watching the match that it is very irritating, but that is the only way I could continue to win." (Actual Quote)

Or consider that according to tennis.com, Federer has the lowest match retirement rate of all top 10 players at....0

http://www.tennis.com/uploadedImages/Editorial/General/2008_04_28_Retirementscharttotal_article.jpg

I have somewhat more admiration for Federer than for Serena or Djokovic because Djokovic has admitted to abusing timeouts, while Serena does not have the dedication towards her sport. How is that biased? I see one athlete who is fully committed to his sport, one who cares so much about it that you can see the irritation and self-anger in his post-match interview. Finally, check out interviews where Agassi and Sampras have lost-they don't look too happy nor should they be. As champions, they hate to lose.

Sure, Federer may seem slightly bitter in his interview, but he openly acknowledges he was the worser player of the two that day. Sure, he could come out and say that Djokovic was the better player, but he is implying the same thing.

Sorry to burst your bubble but your interpretation is wrong.
He didn't say what you claim here. where he mentioned this was to "disrupt opponents rytham". He never said he is abusing anything or cheating here. It was brutal day on USO 2005 then. Llodra collapsed and Murray puked on the court. All he said is, it was difficult for him and he was in trouble having problems and needed timeouts in order to continue and finish the match. No cheating or abusing there. He fought in that match and didn't retire so I don't get why are you complaining. You would be bashing him the same if he retired in that match instead of finishing it.

Also your diagram says nothing. Djokovic has health problems and injuries and that is why he retires. Nothing wrong with it. When you can't play you can't play.

And yes you are a hater since you need to resort to lies and wrong interpretations to bash a player with no reason and merit and you apply double standards.

vtmike
04-09-2009, 04:20 AM

From 2005 US Open:

That's some good research into retirements...I knew Fed must have been the lowest but never saw the stats...Your post is filled with facts and I agree with it...

And how can you compare Nadal's or some upcoming players interviews with Federer's? It does not make sense...They have not even achieved half of what Federer has...When you have been dominating for so long it is obvious to get annoyed when you start losing and your game does not click when you expect it to...every other journalist likes taking a jab at Fed by writing a melodramatic tale about the decline of Fed and how he has lost it completely...The youngsters are not under the same pressure as Fed...

Lets see how Nadal, Djokovic & Murray handle their presses after they reach 13 grand slams and start losing close finals to the same opponent thereafter...

and anyways what did Nadal and Djokovic say after their losses to DelPo and Roddick?? They said the exact same thing..."I played bad today" but their comments are never under the microscope unlike Federer

papucla10
04-28-2009, 10:44 PM
Did you hear his tone?

You got some serious problems dude, really. It is like you got so much hate in you.

LanceStern
04-28-2009, 11:33 PM
This topic misled me, I thought Fed lost to Karlovic

Pwned
04-28-2009, 11:43 PM
Curious. How were his 'tears' traveling to his eyebrow?

adams_1
04-28-2009, 11:43 PM
Why bump this old thing?

Gen
04-29-2009, 02:41 AM

Yes, he was.

"His eyes were red (had he cried again after this 3-6, 6-2, 6-3 semifinal defeat?) and his ostentatiously monogrammed baseball cap was pulled down tight over his forehead as Roger Federer delivered a lot of predictable answers in his post-match press conference Friday."
http://www.tennisnews.com/exclusive.php?pID=27857

"The forensic experts among the media spent a great deal of time scrutinizing Federer's face in that brief session. Was he crying? He was undeniably red-eyed, but the sweat from exertion was still running down his face. Maybe that was the explanation. Maybe not. Courtside eyewitnesses insist he was crying, and it was reminiscent of his wildly out-of-character sob session during the trophy presentation at the Australian Open after losing to Rafael Nadal"
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=4041111

lordmanji
04-29-2009, 07:20 AM
yep it's easy to be the greatest sportsmen five years in a row when you're winning. much harder when you're losing. i actually thought nadal was more of a sportsman this past year and a half than fed.

ksbh
04-29-2009, 07:35 AM
You just ****ed off Breakpoint. He hates you for saying that Federer can sweat at all because according to him, Federer can play 5 hours in the Australian Open sun and not break a drop of sweat unless he's not well :)